Nobody worried about "Flame"?

I don't want to sound squeamish over a computer virus, but shouldn't we all be really disturbed by this new advanced virus? I've read these two articles:

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...ian-networks-is-engineering-marvel-to-behold/

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...t-lost-control-of-it/?comments=1#comments-bar

And it tells me that not only can they bring down mass infastructures but can spy on everyone batman style without anyone knowing, and it starts a cyber war that might cost us more than we bargained for when the internet first started. The fact that Iran is most infected, means its Israeli's handywork.

And it tells me that not only can they bring down mass infastructures but can spy on everyone batman style without anyone knowing, and it starts a cyber war that might cost us more than we bargained for when the internet first started. The fact that Iran is most infected, means its Israeli's handywork.

Doesn't mean it's their handywork. It just means that they are the obvious culprit. Even if it is, like Stuxnet, I seriously doubt they wrote it alone.

Stuxnet was confirmed to be U.S./Isreal join op...

they don't take responsibility for Flame though...

either or they're very targeted virii, i'm sure unless you work in Iranian government, you'll probably never come across these puppies...

Given the ease at which Chinese hackers can seemingly break into any US company and steal anything they want, I actually wouldn't be opposed to a virus like this taking hold and ultimately wreaking some temporary havok. It would serve as a wake-up call for many and people might start actually securing stuff.

Stuxnet was confirmed to be U.S./Isreal join op...

Only according to the New York Times. I have yet to see a Government official from the US or Isreal backing that claim up (although, I wouldn't doubt it either)

I'm just going to say that this virus was created by the us government or a coop. Of world government to scare the sheeple masses into approving total draconian internet takeover.

Edit**nor saying for sure but I really study history deeply and this pattern repeats over and over.

Last edited:
I'm just going to say that this virus was created by the us government or a coop. Of world government to scare the sheeple masses into approving total draconian internet takeover.

Edit**nor saying for sure but I really study history deeply and this pattern repeats over and over.

"I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that."

And no, I'm not worried about it. Our internet traffic is already spied on. If they so desperately want something from my computer they can get a warrant.

What's scary about these government run viruses is that the chances are big that AV software will purposely NOT detect it because they'll be paid not to by the government or even threatened with legal action if they don't comply with their orders.

The biggest avenue to be infected these days is through the browser because of flash and all the bull crap security holes that are there by design and a simple web page can execute a exe by just loading it. It's probably a good idea to be running browsers inside a VM for maximum security.

Now here's the even more scary part, corporations and the government work closely together. Could they potentially include this virus in common software such as Windows? I can't see why not. Instead of a virus as a stand alone app, it would be built into common software and a joint op between government and corporations. The US government is evil, they do what they want even if it's no ethical, I could easily see this being done, especially if it was in the name of anti piracy.

Just adding my 2 cents here and I don't expect anyone to really care, but news like this always irks the hell out of me. I saw it with Stux, and now I'm seeing it with Flame again. You get all the IT security related folks coming out of the woodwork to weigh in with their "expertise" about how much work went into this coding and marveling about the design and on and on with their reviews. It's like one huge circle jerk from one it security guy to the next.

I suppose the reason it gets under my skin is because the security related aspects of the IT industry will find some way to include these on the next updates of their certification exams or come up with some kind of new "policy" to official doctrine on how these interact with IT security world. Then of course you'll have to deal with morons in the field who like to inflate with own egos with "I actually got my hands on Stux code" or "A guy I know in eastern europe got me in on a remote session to watch Flame in action"...and on and on with some of these people. Me? I really don't give a damn about .govs from other nations going after one another.

Remember that thread on this forum about dealing with IT managers who clearly aren't technical? Yeah, there's a whole shitload of those types working security out there.

ali2.jpg

i'm prepared, no issues here.

Make sure tin foil hats are properly grounded with at least 10 awg wire. Use only approved 3M tape and connectors. :p

I'd say the main reason to be worried is the responses these attacks might generate.

The US and Israel are not at war with Iran, but admitting to creating Stuxnet is pretty much admitting to a pretty serious act of aggression against a sovereign nation. Now people will argue that the intent was good etc, but it does not change what happened, or what the end result could be.

If it's accepted that it's ok to do such an act, then it's also saying it's ok to do something similar back to the US...

Stuxnet had a very specific purpose and it's quite amazing how it went uncovered and succeeded so well. However the response might not need to be as advanced, they could just be content in contaminating drinking water for a few towns, causing power outages, messing with the stock markets or aviation control etc. A lot of industrial plants in the US are very badly protected, and causing a lot of havoc would not require something as advanced as stuxnet.

For me personally I'm not worried if the NSA is recording stuff on my computer. Firstly it would be a huge waste of time for them, and secondly there's not very much I could do about it anyway.

Hey once again I was right about the government... Look at when I posted the above ... and now look at this link below... which is on the front page of drudgereport this very minute....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...fficials-say/2012/06/19/gJQA6xBPoV_print.html

Has anyone else besides kapersky reviewed the code for either of these "viruses"? There is so much bullshit being spewed by "Officials" it's hard to believe any of it. Does anyone have any links to reports that aren't done by non-tech retards who have no idea wtf they are talking about? Some really in depth analysis would be awesome.

Back