Nobody Wants To Sleep In A Driverless Car

HardOCP News

[H] News
You like it enough to ride in one but not enough to take a nap in it? What a bunch of pussies. :D

8.3% of people say that they would probably read, 5.3% say that they would watch TV (that’s probably a gross underestimate) and only 7% of respondents say that they would sleep. Wouldn’t commute snoozing or being able to have your car chauffeur you overnight on road trips be one of the main advantages of a self-driving vehicle?

I'd be belting out tunes in the key of off like a mother fucker.

So really nothing would change.

I'm pretty sure the roads of Haliburton, Ontario aren't going to be driver-less car territory in my life time.

I don't even want to ride in a driverless car. I can barely tolerate being in a car with someone else driving. My wife is actually a fairly good driver, yet still I am a nervous wreck every time I have to sit in the passenger seat. Probably explains why I can drive 15 hours without needing to take a break outside stopping for gas.If I'm in a car, i want to be the only one in control of it.

No one wanted to sleep on the first airline flights too... that is until they realized that yeah things are doing ok, I'm going to take a nap.

I wouldn't sleep for an hour long drive, probably, but if there was a long 6 hour drive absolutely.

I would so nap in a driverless car but I wouldn't want a driverless car in the first place because I love driving.

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves with driverless cars. In the end, it all comes down to safety and liability.

It's not like being awake is going to help any if the thing goes all Skynet on you.

I hate driving. It's a colossal waste of time. Hell yeah I'd sleep.

When self-driving cars do come, because I'm 100% certain they will, you'll see a big shift in driving patterns. Now most driving happens during "awake" hours. But if the car drives itself, you can start trips at midnight, and be at destination in the morning ready to go.

1990-total-recall_2065421i.jpg

Come on, don't bullshit me.

I don't even want to ride in a driverless car. I can barely tolerate being in a car with someone else driving. My wife is actually a fairly good driver, yet still I am a nervous wreck every time I have to sit in the passenger seat. Probably explains why I can drive 15 hours without needing to take a break outside stopping for gas.If I'm in a car, i want to be the only one in control of it.

you "can" drive for 15 hours without a break, but it doesn't mean that you actually don't need one and that you're not an idiot for doing so just because you have some sort of control complex. until something happens and people other than yourself get injured or killed.

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves with driverless cars. In the end, it all comes down to safety and liability.

And since insurance is mandatory in most places in the US (all?) you'll have insurance on a driverless car and it will simply be structured differently. Do you want insurance if your car screws up and puts you in the hospital? Do you want the minimum insurance that only will pay off a claim on an other. And much like ABS and that third brake light used to be discounts on insurance I'm sure they'll have discounts based upon who made your driverless car.

We aren't just getting ahead of ourselves, we're being idiots.

The technology isn't even remotely close to being usable. Even if we can get a half dozen test vehicles to actually go a fair distance in real traffic it will only work because of all the other HUMAN drivers surrounding the thing making up for its lack of human input. We don't have computers that THINK. They can not and will not in the forseeable future be able to react to every input and factor that we do.

The moment we put a bunch of driverless cars on the road, we will have the deaths of countless pedestrians (many children) and crazy strange car accidents.

Why? Because real life happens. Strange things happen to each of us behind the wheel on a weekly or even daily basis that no piece of software can manage.

It's one thing to have aircraft very nearly fly themselves. The whole situation is different. There aren't physical objects, humans and animals by the tens of thousands surrounding a jetliner or fighter jet every second they are in the air. Computers are great for that. And for space travel. Changes in the external environment don't happen in milliseconds they happen in seconds, minutes, hours or days.

I can't see these things being usable anywhere except maybe once you get out on interstate highways where the whole environment can be somewhat uniform. And even then... multi car pileups in fog... ice... tire blowouts on the car or trailer next to you... rocks falling off that cliff you are driving by... HIGH WINDS...

It can't work. It won't work. Not in our lifetimes. Not unless we end up with new types of computers that copy the human brain in which case we have even bigger issues.

Oh, hell yeah, I'd sleep. If I had a big commute and a self driving car, I'd nap the whole commute.

Bury your head if you want, but it will happen in our lifetime (unless your near death already). Yes there are hurdles to self driving cars, but to say it won't happen is foolish.

Go back 100 years and you start to see how fast technology can advance, and the interval is just getting shorter.

Just don't buy the G1 self driving cars, wait for them to improve it.

The technology isn't even remotely close to being usable. Even if we can get a half dozen test vehicles to actually go a fair distance in real traffic it will only work because of all the other HUMAN drivers surrounding the thing making up for its lack of human input. We don't have computers that THINK. They can not and will not in the forseeable future be able to react to every input and factor that we do.

The moment we put a bunch of driverless cars on the road, we will have the deaths of countless pedestrians (many children) and crazy strange car accidents.

Why? Because real life happens. Strange things happen to each of us behind the wheel on a weekly or even daily basis that no piece of software can manage.

It's one thing to have aircraft very nearly fly themselves. The whole situation is different. There aren't physical objects, humans and animals by the tens of thousands surrounding a jetliner or fighter jet every second they are in the air. Computers are great for that. And for space travel. Changes in the external environment don't happen in milliseconds they happen in seconds, minutes, hours or days.

I can't see these things being usable anywhere except maybe once you get out on interstate highways where the whole environment can be somewhat uniform. And even then... multi car pileups in fog... ice... tire blowouts on the car or trailer next to you... rocks falling off that cliff you are driving by... HIGH WINDS...

It can't work. It won't work. Not in our lifetimes. Not unless we end up with new types of computers that copy the human brain in which case we have even bigger issues.

You haven't seen what they've been able to do with these have you? They do actively scan for pedestrians and are able to avoid hitting them more accurately than human drivers. If cars ahead are slowing down for an accident, they slow down to avoid hitting them and then send an alert to the driver to take over for moving around the jam. They can see better in fog than humans, and can detect a tire blowout, compensate, and reach the side of the road with no assistance from a driver. Google alone has come up with most of the methods of dealing with those.

Granted, they haven't solved the problems with ice, snow, or rain yet. They have only been doing development in California, so their exposure to those conditions is quite limited. The researchers here in Colorado will probably take care of that part.

I regularly drive from Atlanta to Columbus Ohio, and I would definitely sleep 8 hours only to wake up around friends and family.

Unless of course I am waking up in the afterlife with 'friends and family' who have passed on before me.

I guess in either case I'm good. Carry on.

You haven't seen what they've been able to do with these have you? They do actively scan for pedestrians and are able to avoid hitting them more accurately than human drivers. If cars ahead are slowing down for an accident, they slow down to avoid hitting them and then send an alert to the driver to take over for moving around the jam. They can see better in fog than humans, and can detect a tire blowout, compensate, and reach the side of the road with no assistance from a driver. Google alone has come up with most of the methods of dealing with those.

Granted, they haven't solved the problems with ice, snow, or rain yet. They have only been doing development in California, so their exposure to those conditions is quite limited. The researchers here in Colorado will probably take care of that part.

I think he is putting to much faith in humans as well, all accidents are due to operator negligence, regardless of conditions, because people are unwilling or incapable of adapting, holding their attention, or just ignorant.

Average intelligence isn't that impressive and driving has become reflex for most people which scares me a hell of a lot more than driverless cars. You have no idea on a daily 5 km drive how many near accidents I have or witness because some witless moron is relying on others to look out for them, none of these are hard to avoid (a computer should have no problem), but if the other driver lost attention for even a second, an accident occurs, computers don't loss attention. If someone makes a bad decision (swerves into you, steps out onto the road with no prior indication and no cross walk) your likely going to be in an accident, same with a driverless car, at least in theory a driverless car can react with greater speed and precision.

I for one welcome the change and barring the odd software/hardware glitch, the safer roads as a result.

Yup, I too am a control freak when it comes to driving.

I would fall asleep without giving it a second thought.

Hellz ya. I've got an hour commute. If they could also build a robot to lift me outta bed and carry me to the car I'll do the hard part of installing the wet bar for the trip home.

I for one welcome the change and barring the odd software/hardware glitch, the safer roads as a result.
Amen. Granted, I was never a great driver (too reckless when young, too impatient as I got older) but I would rather be driven around by a great computer driver than a great human one. The great computer driver has nothing else to think about and it can be programmed to stop when it "feels" like something's wrong. I couldn't love the idea of automated cars more, and I'd totally nap while riding in one.

"8.3% of people say that they would probably read, 5.3% say that they would watch TV (that’s probably a gross underestimate) and only 7% of respondents say that they would sleep."

7% say they would sleep in a driverless car. How many would sleep in a car with another human driving? The articles don't bother to mention whether the study asked those basic control questions.

"Wouldn’t commute snoozing or being able to have your car chauffeur you overnight on road trips be one of the main advantages of a self-driving vehicle?"

Have this author ever actually slept in a car? Do they know how uncomfortable that is? I do not want to sleep in a car, regardless of who or what is driving it.

Have this author ever actually slept in a car? Do they know how uncomfortable that is? I do not want to sleep in a car, regardless of who or what is driving it.

Well sir, you clearly haven't taken a luxurious nap in the back of my high society Rolls-Royce complete with aromatherapy and Japanese zen garden.

Well, if they were being honest they would admit to what they will actually be doing in a driverless car ... the same thing they do in cars now, text, talk on the phone, read emails, and swat at the kids in the back ;)

I want to go out sleeping, like my Grandpa. Not like his passengers in the car - screaming and scared.

I would sleep in one once they are proven to be safe through time. First time? Nope. It's one of those things you get comfortable with and you can relax a little. I couldn't sleep with my wife driving, though. I want to know when I'm going to die and see it coming.

If I had an automated car, my commutes would be reading a book in the morning, and sleeping going home. Get home all refreshed with a 40 minute power nap! Booyah!

The highway system is where most of the traffic is around here, while yeah there is some on city streets, I would think driving around town should be a self-drive area anyways just due to the unpredictable nature of retards staring at cell phones as they walk into traffic.

as for all the issues, you're describing issues that take out people and become issues because people were stupid enough to put themselves in that position in the first place. A computer could possibly react quite a bit differently and more intelligently, not crowding yourself in such a spot such that when ice is present you can stop in time and also signal to all the cars behind you that there is ice allowing them all to stop, not driving right next to a car so that if there is an issue with it the car has time to react.

OHTHENOES HIGH WINDS!!!!! *sigh*

Have they even managed to get cars that can park themselves correctly 100% of the time? :p

Well, once a driverless car can do a few hundred different pathing combinations through this roundabout at peak hour, I'll be impressed :)

SwindonEngland.jpg

Interesting take. As an exercise I suggest you save this post in some form and read it out loud to yourself in 10 years.

No one wanted to sleep on the first airline flights too... that is until they realized that yeah things are doing ok, I'm going to take a nap.
The first airline flights in the early 1900s were primitive biplane flying boats and had a reasonably high injury/fatality rate for its passengers. For lighter than air airliners, well, we all remember how they burned to death in the Hindenburg.

I sure as hell wouldn't sleep in the first driverless cars, as beta testing with my life in a 70mph missile is not my idea of relaxing.

Back