Nobody Plays Quake 4 Multiplayer?

JOKER_JOKER

Limp Gawd
I just reinstalled windows like a week ago and just got around to installing Quake 4 again. I installed the patch as well but when I clicked on the multiplayer button and the game browser popped up, there were almost no people on the servers. There were 1212 servers and only 100 (I actually counted) had people in them. WHAT'S THE DEAL? Also, some of the servers that I clicked on said that I didn't have the pak files or something. That leaves like 50 servers, half of which are full, which leaves us with only about 25 playable servers. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I counted about 28 server that had people on them, but of course I'm counting servers with only 1 person playing. Seems to me that Quake 4 MP is dying out. I think not having 32 player servers and people waiting for a Rocket Arena mod is hurting it. It could just be that people are playing BF2 more and more and the number of people playing Q4 MP is shrinking as a result. I know I haven't played in many moons.

Yea I played Quake 4 MP for like 2 days and couldn't stick with it it sucked so hard. I played mainly FEAR and had a ton of more fun in MP than I ever did in Q4. Anyways now that FEAR wore off it's back to WoW Star Wars Empire at War and BFME2 the three games eating up my time :p. I gotta say though Empire at War if they were more detailed and spent a wee bit more time on the space battles I don't think I would ever put it down for at least a year. Reminds me of that star trek game can't remember which one it was just alot of fun.

q4 dm is either oldschool or they just didnt put in enough effort lol :/

I used to play it alot. The 1.1 patch fixed a lot of bugs/issues so the final is going to help the game a lot. I dont' know. I started playing UT 2004 again. Too bad they won't let John Carmack make another game like Quake III. :(

It's sad, I remember upgrading to my current machine just so I can play Quake 4 MP. For some reason, I thought it would be a Quake 3 with updated Doom 3 graphics. The game just seems "slow". I played the hell out of Quake 3 again at QuakeCon 2005 and I had so much freakin' fun. Gibs flying everywhere, rocket jumping off the walls like a fool, basking in those day-glo graphics. The little bit I played of the Beta Quake 4 seemed to be almost on par, however, something got lost in translation somewhere. Now I spend my time in BF2. :(

It's almost too fast for me. I guess I could practice and get better, but I suck really bad at it right now.

But I don't have any interest in practicing and getting better, because it just seems so ho-hum to me. (Though I remember having a ton of fun with the Quake 3 Arena demo back in the day)

Times have changed. Games like multiplayer Q4 and Q3 just are not as appealing to people like games like BF2 are where you can do so much more. Myself, I don't like BF2 much, not enough fast action where your raw skills with the mouse and keyboard determine the winnner.

I think these types go through phases. Just like RTS games, space sims and other gameplay types.

Server lag/net code was a huge issue as well (along with Doom III).

chojin_1999 said:
I counted about 28 server that had people on them, but of course I'm counting servers with only 1 person playing. Seems to me that Quake 4 MP is dying out. I think not having 32 player servers and people waiting for a Rocket Arena mod is hurting it. It could just be that people are playing BF2 more and more and the number of people playing Q4 MP is shrinking as a result. I know I haven't played in many moons.
I don't play any online games right now, but I think it is because of COD2 and WOW. if you look on xfre bf2 has actually dropped to #6, while COD2 is #3 and CSS is #2, obviously wow is #1. Meh, I thought Quake 4 was lame multiplayer wise.

I love playing Quake 3 MP at lan parties. It still holds up after all these years. Something just not as fun about Quake 4 MP. People just aren't creating the cool maps/mods like they did for Q3: OSP Tourney, Meatpak, SpeedQuake, Instagib, Excessive Overkill and maps like runtfest where you are all little dudes in a big freakin' room. Also, they are no character customizations like there were with Q3 (personally played as Vash the Stampede).

I just got off Quake 3 Team Arena :D havnt played it before, I wish Quake 4 was the same just with the updated graphic so more ppl would play.

I was thinking of buying Quake 4 but I dont know because of the lack of ppl/servers that are playing . :(

randy5554 said:
It's almost too fast for me. I guess I could practice and get better, but I suck really bad at it right now.

But I don't have any interest in practicing and getting better, because it just seems so ho-hum to me. (Though I remember having a ton of fun with the Quake 3 Arena demo back in the day)

Yeah, It's one of the most fast-paced games I've ever played. It was the first Q4 game that I ever had, and when I got it I went straight for the multiplayer. HOLY CRAP. I got pwn3d so badly the first couple days. The first day I played it I might have gotten 1-2 kills altogether, but now I'm the one that does the pwning in that game. It's the type of game that is about 99% skill, 1% luck.

Does anyone know if there's a Railfreeze being made for Q4? Once the 1.1 patch is final I'm going to start playing, but I'm really hoping to play Railfreeze. I never played much Q3, but that was one of the mods I played and I loved it.

the gamer said:
I just got off Quake 3 Team Arena :D havnt played it before, I wish Quake 4 was the same just with the updated graphic so more ppl would play.

I was thinking of buying Quake 4 but I dont know because of the lack of ppl/servers that are playing . :(

John Carmack said:
Internally, Quake III was viewed as my game. It was a game I wanted to play. It was the id game that I probably spent the most time playing and enjoyed the most, but it was actually one of our less successful titles. The focused minimalism is appealing for me, but probably isn’t the best direction for a top-flight commercial game company.

So I don’t have much say any more. Post Quake III, I’ve stepped back a bit from the design side on the PC space because I’m really not representative of what most of our market is now. I did realize that my very simplified game-design ethic isn’t really what the market is demanding. I’m no longer in there vetoing things being added to the game design. That’s probably one of the reasons why [Doom 3] may have taken longer to ship, but was a richer game for it."

Too bad. :(

Man Quake 1 was awesome, q2 was cool, and q3 was decent, q4 big dissapointment. What really upsets me as Mr. Migayi posted for us is that id actually sold out. What made quake such a hit was that their shareware version kicked some ass, and was given out in practically every gaming mag. During the Doom I/ II / Quake I days it was all about just making a game that they thought was cool, now its about making a game that they hope other people will think is cool. When you get overly concerned about what other people art turns to crap, and to me PC games used to be another form of art, now they are just business.

I did'nt find anything in Q4's multiplayer to hold my interest.

Quake 4 is an awesome game. I love the physics and the movement. I agree that you need a powerful system to run multiplayer decently, so Im betting many people are having lag, or don't know how to edit their cfg to turn off settings. This means, they get owned, and just don't know how to make it work better for them, so they leave...

Its also because the multiplayer was not the designers focus, but rather the singleplayer and story, so therefore they released a buggy MP with no alias options, except for a bunch of ugly skinned models. That is something that still pisses me off.. Quake 3 had female, male, robot enemy models and their sounds helped distinguish enemies from teamates. Quake 4 sound is all explosions and the same character grunts and sounds. :(

I can run quake 4 single player at basically max settings and not have any problems with lag or low fps.. if I used that same cfg in a 2vs2 online game, I'd have 2- 10 fps in a confrontation... you gotta turn everything down completely and lots of crap off to actually play MP competitively.

Im really hoping mods like RA4 and Q4F and a solid official patch to work off of will help fix the multiplayer and bring more people and clans back into Q4 scene and kick off some packed online leagues... I can hope..

cheers

Carv said:
I did'nt find anything in Q4's multiplayer to hold my interest.

Same here. I went to UT when Q3A came out and never looked back. I've played Q3A and Q4 at LAN parties and neither is as much fun (to me or the groups I play with) as the UT series. Played UT2004 IG CTF and FEAR CTF this weekend at a LAN and both were awesome... :D

Met-AL said:
Times have changed. Games like multiplayer Q4 and Q3 just are not as appealing to people like games like BF2 are where you can do so much more. Myself, I don't like BF2 much, not enough fast action where your raw skills with the mouse and keyboard determine the winnner.

This is true, especially if you've played plenty of "twitch" FPS in the past whether they be the Quakes, UT2K, or whatever. I played one round of Q4 mp on Longest Yard, owned, and then went back to BF2 Special Forces.

ZOMGWTFBBQ said:
All that and the fact that Quake 4 DM is crap compared to Quake 3 DM

Quoted For Truth. :)

My beef with it is that you can't tweak much of anything. Everything is locked down and/or server side. Plus - the feel of Q3 (for me) is just a lot more fun. Could just be the used-to factor I suppose.

The 1v1 scene is doing well in Q4, thanks mostly to Q4Max. I'm more of a team-gametype player myself though....

I'm hoping a final 1.1 patch and updates to both RA4 and Q4Max will at least put the game on par with Q3.

Back