Nobody Has Beaten Doom’s Hardest Difficulty Level

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I don’t see what the appeal is about permadeath, but those who do are going to love Doom’s “Ultra Nightmare” mode.

Speaking with Doom Executive Producer Marty Stratton and Creative Director Hugo Martin, IGN has learned that no one at developer id Software has yet managed to complete Doom’s hardest difficulty mode. The new Ultra-Nightmare setting is Doom’s punishing Nightmare mode with a permadeath twist. Screw up once, and you’re dead and back at the beginning of the game, leaving only your helmet as a marker of your progress.

I don’t see what the appeal is about permadeath, but those who do are going to love Doom’s “Ultra Nightmare” mode.

Speaking with Doom Executive Producer Marty Stratton and Creative Director Hugo Martin, IGN has learned that no one at developer id Software has yet managed to complete Doom’s hardest difficulty mode. The new Ultra-Nightmare setting is Doom’s punishing Nightmare mode with a permadeath twist. Screw up once, and you’re dead and back at the beginning of the game, leaving only your helmet as a marker of your progress.

I also don't have any interest in permadeath but I'm glad they included it. If the addition of a feature makes some people happy and doesn't detract from others then it's a win in my books. It's the same logic I use when people argue against manual saving in games. If a developer puts in checkpoints and gives the option to manual save how could that be a bad thing if it means everyone's happy ?

I'm glad they are starting to talk single player again. All this MP hype was disconcerting.

That's how I feel every time I play any multi player game online. Doesn't sound fun, but I definitely know a few people that will go for the challenge.

This would make speed runs more interesting and leaderboards would give the mode a competitive edge.

No one at the Developer has beaten it...Color me unimpressed. When is the last time anyone involved with development ended up being one of the better players? I'll go with never. There will be speed runs of this on Youtube in 2 weeks from release.

No one at the Developer has beaten it...Color me unimpressed. When is the last time anyone involved with development ended up being one of the better players? I'll go with never. There will be speed runs of this on Youtube in 2 weeks from release.

Yea by some kid in china, OR some guy in his late 30's still living in his moms basement.....

Oh, I can see the untimely end to some computer equipment, especially monitors when someone manages to make it to the end and fucking blows it right as they are about to finish the game on this setting.

Or probably by me..some guy in his late 30's who's married, two kids and owns his own home.

The basement nerd stereotypes are old and worn out at this point. Find yourself something new to be angry about.
Yea, that is so weird, how this stereotype is still so believed when so many successful people are gamers. Hardcore gamers, at that.

This is an awesome addition to any game. This is for the people that love the game and really want to challenge themselves. Can't wait to see some speedruns.

Nice. It'll be fun for playing with other people and see who can get the farthest. Nice drinking game. :)

This will be the next Flappy Bird for some folks who won't be able to stop.

Back