No wonder the Series X can do 4k/60

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
Games quality look like switch ports to xbox one ports

Halo Infinite looks like a 2015 game, and the worst part is that it was probably running on a high end PC.

BTW where are the RT games?

And to think I was considering getting one instead of upgrading to Ampere

Yeah, Halo looked almost the same as Player Uknown Battlegrounds, except with slightly better lighting effects, and slighly more objects onscreen.. That is a PC game from 2016, so pretty poor showing for launch title.

Last edited:
A game being shown on a HEAVILY compressed stream doesn't look great? What a shock. Cut the hyperbole people.

You can see the native 4k gameplay here, not seeing world-changing effects yet.

Compare with the best PC-only multiplayer title made back in 2016, also in 4k:

Not that much difference? Halo has slightly better lighting, and a decent increase in onscreen objects, but really this just looks lik someon made it for a 2018 PC.

Last edited:
It's also a game originally designed for the Xbox One. All of MS' first party games are designed to be cross-generation. It doesn't even look that bad. Nowhere near "PUBG" as you said. Again, cut the hyperbole.

Compare, now that I've updated my post:

That's the best 2016 hs to offer, now.

Halo looks like something released in 2018 for PC.

The fact that you're going to have to run these new games on a 2013 console meas this will forever be held-back. much like PC developers have trouble making settings scale across all options, and have to make hard decisions about HOW ADVANCED their effects, textures and geometry options are.

You are ALWAYS hheld back by your lowest-common-denominator, unless you're making a custom cut-down port of the game.

Last edited:
it has very little to do with graphics...the games themselves look very underwhelming

They were never going to exist because the HW isn't there yet. You'll get some minor RT effects from time to time, but that's about it.

Next, there really haven't been any major advances in rendering quality for a while now. There's nothing "new" that's been developed that current consoles couldn't already do. As a result, you shouldn't expect major leaps in graphical performance.

Finally, you're limited by console form factor. And while the CPUs won't be absolute cripples this time, there's only so much thermal-constrained GPUs can do.

Guys, there's a reason why the biggest feature argument is SSD load times; you aren't going to see significant generational leaps anymore.

They were never going to exist because the HW isn't there yet. You'll get some minor RT effects from time to time, but that's about it.

I will say that in the Digital Foundry videos on the PS5 reveal they pointed out Ray Tracing in a decent number of them. Yeah nothing too amazing and the reflections were lower res but it still looked good for the hardware.

While I do agree that this looks a little underwhelming, I'd say Halo has never pushed any boundaries visually. I'm not surprised to see Infinite looking the way it does, especially considering it's got to be compatible all the way down to the OG Xbox One. They can only push it so far and keep it on their older hardware. You speak as if this is the best Series X will be capable of. Surely you understand that you cannot judge the capability of a console based off a single, cross generation release.

Compare, now that I've updated my post:

That's the best 2016 hs to offer, now.

Halo looks like something released in 2018 for PC.

The fact that you're going to have to run these new games on a 2013 console meas this will forever be held-back. much like PC developers have trouble making settings scale across all options, and have to make hard decisions about HOW ADVANCED their effects, textures and geometry options are.

You are ALWAYS hheld back by your lowest-common-denominator, unless you're making a custom cut-down port of the game.

This song and dance happens every generation. Launch games are never going to be indicative of the full potential of a console. Also, XSX games will not always be designed to run on older consoles. This is something they've said they'll do for the first year or two of the new generation. Some of the games MS displayed yesterday do not even mention the XB1, which could mean those will not launch on the older system and will only be on the SX (and SS, if Lockhart is real).

Beyond all of that: Why does it matter if Halo Infinite isn't this massive graphical upgrade? It's not bad looking. It looks fine. Why do people keep thinking that launch console games are going to be this massive upgrade these days?

I'd say the new Halo looks night and day better/smoother than PUBG based on those videos. At the same time, it still looks like just another Halo game. What are they going to show off next, another Gears game? How about Forza? MS needs some compelling new fist-party titles.

I'd say the new Halo looks night and day better/smoother than PUBG based on those videos. At the same time, it still looks like just another Halo game. What are they going to show off next, another Gears game? How about Forza? MS needs some compelling new fist-party titles.

They actually did show off Forza. In engine only though so meh. They have some new first party stuff on the horizon and while I liked their showcase better than Sony's, I'd still give the edge to Sony when it comes to first party studios. MS still needs to prove it can effectively manage all the studio's it's bought and help them release better quality 1st party titles than what was on the XB1.

Remember the claims that the SeriesX would perform on par with a RTX2070?, doesn't seem like it...

Remember the claims that the SeriesX would perform on par with a RTX2070?, doesn't seem like it...

Are you just ignoring everyone?

You cannot make assumptions about what either console is capable of based off 15 minutes of a single, cross-gen launch title.

Are you just ignoring everyone?

You cannot make assumptions about what either console is capable of based off 15 minutes of a single, cross-gen launch title.
Watch me :D :D

From what I've seen, the general consensus from the Seriex X games that were shown, is that they look about the same as the Xbox One X. This is supposed to be the most powerful console ever. Doesn't look like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zinn
like this
I suppose I stand corrected, you can make whatever assumptions you like. You'll be wrong though. ;)

In a few years, these consoles will be doing things a 2070 can't. Count on it.
I don't think so, but even if they do, in a few years the 2070 will be collecting dust. That's the beauty of PC gaming.

Great, another 5 years to look forward to of the PCMR complaining how current gen is "HOLDING THEM BACK!!!"

We will have a similar thread in 2025 on how PS6/Xboxwhatever are displaying 2022-like graphics.

The clown show continues.

I don't think so, but even if they do, in a few years the 2070 will be collecting dust. That's the beauty of PC gaming.
I’m really quite curious (and I’m betting someone has done the testing but I’m not curious enough to search it out) just how we’ll Death Stranding and Detroit Too Human (and soon) Horizon (oh or on the Xbox side, Gears 4/5) run on 2013 PC hardware. So, 780Ti and 290x paired with Bulldozer or Sandy Bridge right? Ivy Bridge? I don’t know.

I’ve little doubt those cards can run the games, I just wonder about the actual fidelity compared to the console. Maybe comparable? I don’t know.

I’m really quite curious (and I’m betting someone has done the testing but I’m not curious enough to search it out) just how we’ll Death Stranding and Detroit Too Human (and soon) Horizon (oh or on the Xbox side, Gears 4/5) run on 2013 PC hardware. So, 780Ti and 290x paired with Bulldozer or Sandy Bridge right? Ivy Bridge? I don’t know.

I’ve little doubt those cards can run the games, I just wonder about the actual fidelity compared to the console. Maybe comparable? I don’t know.

I recall someone doing a video comparison on youtube a while ago between the xbox one and a old PC, don't remember the pc specs though.

Apparently Halo: Infinite was running on a PC "equivalent to a Series X". A little worrisome, you'd think they'd have software running on actual Series X hardware at this point.

And, yeah, agreed it was a underwhelming showing. Hopefully the games they didn't show will be their killer apps (maybe to counter Sony's August showing - which apparently involves a popular Sony IP that hasn't been seen for awhile).

Apparently Halo: Infinite was running on a PC "equivalent to a Series X". A little worrisome, you'd think they'd have software running on actual Series X hardware at this point.

And, yeah, agreed it was a underwhelming showing. Hopefully the games they didn't show will be their killer apps (maybe to counter Sony's August showing - which apparently involves a popular Sony IP that hasn't been seen for awhile).

MS also said that it was an "in-progress" build and that graphics will improve before launch. All of these statements around Infinite makes me really worried that the game is going to launch in a really bad, unfinished, state.

Reactions: Zinn
like this

It probably had an nvidia GPU, say a RTX2070? :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No clue how much of that footage was made up of pre-rendered cut-scenes, but what MS showed last month definitely looked "next gen" to me. They lacked Sony's more compelling IP's, but the games looked pretty. The stuff from this week looked less impressive, but some of that comes down to the type of titles shown.

No clue how much of that footage was made up of pre-rendered cut-scenes, but what MS showed last month definitely looked "next gen" to me. They lacked Sony's more compelling IP's, but the games looked pretty. The stuff from this week looked less impressive, but some of that comes down to the type of titles shown.
Last month was supposed to be a gameplay showcase; instead it was a bunch of pre-rendered trailers. It’s always funny how the trailers look “next gen” and then the actual gameplay is much less pretty... like Halo Infinite. What a disaster.

I could forgive the bad graphics, but 343 is clearly building a Destiny 2 clone. This is just wrong.

Games quality look like switch ports to xbox one ports

Halo Infinite looks like a 2015 game, and the worst part is that it was probably running on a high end PC.

And to think I was considering getting one instead of upgrading to Ampere

That halo game looks old, and boring. why would people want to play it on a console?

To be fair, development is always done on PC. So it makes sense to show off your latest (stable) development build running off a PC.

Great, another 5 years to look forward to of the PCMR complaining how current gen is "HOLDING THEM BACK!!!"

We will have a similar thread in 2025 on how PS6/Xboxwhatever are displaying 2022-like graphics.

The clown show continues.

With the notable exception of the NES era (at least until x68000 PCs started coming out in the late 80's), consoles have ALWAYS lagged PCs. The issue now is everything is multiplatform, so what you can do gameplay wise is limited by what the weakest major console can accomplish.

That's why I repeatedly called out this gen for having cripple CPUs.

Speaking of PUBG, did they ever fix it where when you switch to potato mode you can easily see people hiding in the grass a long way away?

Back