No Win 8.1 support with Asus TUF Z370 plus motherboard and an i7-8700k

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a way to get PCI Memory Controller, SM Bus Controller or LAN drivers working with this board coupled with an i7-8700k and Win 8.1 Pro? This motherboard is stubborn and giving me a real hard time trying to find a workaround. I know what some of you will say, "Just switch to Win 10". I will eventually but not right now if I don't need too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you're pretty much shit out of luck, there are work arounds but not worth it over just spending the time installing windows 10.

I have a Gigabyte Z370 and I run windows 7 pro. I had to get the lan and chipset drivers from intel . I got the sound drivers direct from realtek and am using a program called wufuc from github to continue to get updates for my "unsupported" coffee lake processor.
Wufuc is of course not Microsoft supported. So YMMV. Works for me so far.

Kid

you're pretty much shit out of luck, there are work arounds but not worth it over just spending the time installing windows 10.

I figured this. Although it took me about 3 days. I ended up going to W10. Oh well, I am now an official W10 zombie. It doesn't seem to bad so far.

I figured this. Although it took me about 3 days. I ended up going to W10. Oh well, I am now an official W10 zombie. It doesn't seem to bad so far.

yeah it's not bad, some of the ui changes are annoying e.g. losing the advanced view of the control panel, settings in wrong sections because it only makes sense to some one who hasn't used a computer in the last 25 years..but overall i got use to the "designed for a 12 year old" ui pretty quickly.

yeah it's not bad, some of the ui changes are annoying e.g. losing the advanced view of the control panel, settings in wrong sections because it only makes sense to some one who hasn't used a computer in the last 25 years..but overall i got use to the "designed for a 12 year old" ui pretty quickly.

Hit the WIN key, type "con..." and select "Control panel"?
7592d1485948635-open-control-panel-windows-10-a-control_panel_category.jpg

Hit the WIN key, type "con..." and select "Control panel"?
View attachment 99272

cough win + R ;) but yeah even i'm to lazy to do that every time i want to bring it up, lol. i'd rather just have the option of putting a control panel button in the start menu list.

had that for a while, of all the things i do like in windows 10, it's definitely the start menu customization.

cough win + R ;) but yeah even i'm to lazy to do that every time i want to bring it up, lol. i'd rather just have the option of putting a control panel button in the start menu list.

had that for a while, of all the things i do like in windows 10, it's definitely the start menu customization.

I know you can add a shortcut to desktop, wonder if you can pin it? Just checked, you can't... odd

Win + R is a longer route (and belongs in Win 7)...I use WIN + the first 3 letters of anything I need in Win10....menus are so Win7 :p

I wish they made windows 8.1 live longer. With startisback, it is the best OS MS gave to me. It is basically a much faster windows 7. That's just me, you don't have to argue. It is a personal preference. I just can't digest or stand windows 10 even after almost two years of use in one of my machines. If it wasn't for hardware support, I wouldn't have switched.

Last edited:
I only had Windows 8 on a laptop and i enjoyed it accept for some of the UI Stuff. But there are limitations now on which OSes the new hardware supports, didnt microsoft stop providing updates for Windows 7/8 once you got to a i7 7 Series CPU or something?

Back