no video signal to monitor

pentiumiiislota

Limp Gawd
I can't get my current spare parts build to send signal to monitor. It will turn on then restart after 10 seconds and stay on like normal. The ssd and gpu was pulled from a working computer so I'm currently running out of ideas. What should i try next to trouble shoot it? Things ive tried will be listed below.

Specs
Asus p8p67 motherboard
I5 2500k
8gb 2133 gskill ares ram
Old antec earthwatts 650 watt psu
Radeon 6450
Hyper 212 evo
Ssd kingston 120gb

Things I've tried so far
Different power cord
Different vga cable
Using hdmi port
Using dvi port
Reseating ram
Reseating gpu
Reseating cpu
Reseating power cords
Pulling cmos battery
Unhooking ssd

Last edited:
Sounds like you have eliminated everything except the monitor.

Have you tried the monitor on a different system?

I tried a confirmed working vga monitor, dvi monitor, hdmi tv, and swapping graphics cards with no luck. Is there anything else i should check before assuming the motherboard, ram, cpu, or psu is bad? Thanks for the help.

So the Asus p8p67 doesn't have onboard CPU video output? If it did I would suggest taking the card out and see if it gives video off of the CPU video output.

No beep codes or anything? It just stays on and runs?

It could be the RAM, do you have anything that runs at 1600 or 1333?

The support site says that 2133Mhz is Overclock which means you may have to enable something in the BIOS to get it to work, but you can't get to BIOS. I am not an O.C. guy but that seems like it may be the issue: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67/specifications/

Here is a page also that has ZIP files with a PDF in them (overkill) that lists supported RAM modules: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67/HelpDesk_QVL/ ... but they only list the 1600's mainly and a few 1333's. In my experience the symptoms you describe are often RAM incompatibilities. You should definitely try a module of 1600 MHz RAM if you have any.

Big thanks to you and everyone else in this thread! I installed one stick of ddr3 1600 ram and it boots fine now. Now i just need to figure out what i did wrong burning a windows iso.

Now the computer won't show signal with two sticks of memory inserted. I pumped up the ram voltage with no change, do I need to manually adjust the voltages?

did you ever check/replace the battery? that's an old system and ive have dead/dying batteries cause all sorts of weird issues.

If i remember correctly i changed the cmos battery before it was put away. Ill pick one up and try it anyways. The motherboard, cpu, and ram were all working when put away so Im confused at this point.

Are the two sticks of ram the same brand and model? In theory if you mix and match speed and brand (a 1333 and a 1600) it should work OK, but in reality mismatched sticks often don't play well together. Try that other stick by itself to see if it boots, if it does we know its not the stick. Its probably an issue with the two working together.

I assumed the op stating 8Gb 2133 gskill means its a matched kit of 2x4.
the old psu could be flakin out too.

They took that out and put in a stick of 1600MHz ram, as the mobo site says that its up to 1600 stock and 2133 is overclock. I assumed that was the problem and they took out the 2133 and put in one stick of 1600 and it booted fine. It seems like OP threw in a 2nd stick of RAM. not sure if 1600 or a mismatch. Even if it is the same speed if the timing or brand is different, sometimes they don't play well together. If they want two sticks they should get a 2nd stick of IDENTICAL 1600 that made the system work.

Are the two sticks of ram the same brand and model? In theory if you mix and match speed and brand (a 1333 and a 1600) it should work OK, but in reality mismatched sticks often don't play well together. Try that other stick by itself to see if it boots, if it does we know its not the stick. Its probably an issue with the two working together.

Yes its a matching set of ram, i am not mixing them.

Okay so i tried booting with only one stick of memory. Looking at the motherboard from left to right. It will only boot from slots 3 and 4. It will also boot with two sticks of ram in slot 3 and 4. Does this likely mean slots one and two died, the cpu is bad, or could it be something else?

Seperate question, is there any downside in running the ram in slots three and four vs running dual channel for a plex server?

Big thanks again for the help!

You will lose some speed not running it in slot 1 & 3 dual channel, but honestly the impact probably isn't going to be that significant.

It seems like if it won't boot with any single stick (by itself) in slot 1 (closest to CPU) or 2, then yes, those two slots are bad. If 3 and 4 work you can use the board as long as nothing else on the board is also damaged.

Back