No, Valve is not killing SteamOS or the Steam controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's simply no relation to overclocking and PC operating systems. Okay, my sig rig is open to malware infection. It'll run faster both under Windows and Linux with the overclocking. A point you've made many times before about how Linux will take advantage of the hardware.

Understand this: I never in any way even remotely implied that there was in any way any relationship between overclocking and PC operating systems. I have been overclocking for well on thirty years now and would in no way whatsoever make such a statement or even remotely imply that this was ever the case.

ChadD was the one who started talking about how dead SLI/CF was. Out on nowhere. You never said anything to him about bringing the subject up. Don't like SLI or think it's dead fine. I agree, it had nothing to do with this thread. So don't get high and mighty about it. You should have admonished him, not me.

Why? You out of nowhere attacked me, you implied that I claimed SLI/CF to be stone dead due a misinterpretation on your behalf. Due to you constantly, and incorrectly, making me out to be a troll to the relatively ineffective powers that supposedly be on these forums, it's me that should be asking for an apology off yourself.

Understand this: I never in any way even remotely implied that there was in any way any relationship between overclocking and PC operating systems. I have been overclocking for well on thirty years now and would in no way whatsoever make such a statement or even remotely imply that this was ever the case.

https://hardforum.com/threads/no-va...the-steam-controller.1940072/#post-1043120026

One of my first reasons for trying Linux was because it was just so impractical putting up with the heat/noise of a massively overclocked machine just to surf the internet and perform my daily tasks, setting up a secondary Linux machine with a Xeon and lower specced card with plenty of ram and an SSD with lots of storage using a free OS that doesn't suffer from malware/virus issues for daily tasks and keeping the Windows machine purely as a gamer was literally a no brainer - The difference is immediately noticeable even on my power bill.

This is what you said about it. Maybe it's not what you men to say exactly but you clearly are making a connection to Linux to something that has not a shift to do with Linux.

Why? You out of nowhere attacked me, you implied that I claimed SLI/CF to be stone dead due a misinterpretation on your behalf. Due to you constantly, and incorrectly, making me out to be a troll to the relatively ineffective powers that supposedly be on these forums, it's me that should be asking for an apology off yourself.

I didn't attack anyone and I didn't bring up SLI which neither you of ChadD know anything about these days as it relates to Windows gaming. Both you claim to steer clear of Windows. That's fine. And I get you claim to fix PCs but I doubt anyone running SLI and knows what it is takes a PC to a typical PC repair shop to be repaired. It's ultra niche shit as you point out. Swap out parts, sure. I'd never let someone else try to fix it. Not in a zillion years. Like anyone else that runs this kind of hardware.

ChadD was the one who started talking about how dead SLI/CF was. Out on nowhere. You never said anything to him about bringing the subject up. Don't like SLI or think it's dead fine. I agree, it had nothing to do with this thread. So don't get high and mighty about it. You should have admonished him, not me.

Amonished me ? For what... you misreading something as always.

We where talking about steam machines... form factors... and gaming machines in general.

Yes I said sli is dead... cause it is. Argue about that all you like I don't care, it has nothing to do with software. You as always decided I was somehow attacking Microsoft??? and Windows??? I guess because I stated, factually that SLI is on deaths door.

The entire point was we where talking about the smaller steam machine form factor and how even if I was to build a High end PC for nothing but gaming and run windows on it right now I wouldn't bother with a full ATX board and case. There are a ton of very high quality Micro-ATX boards out there these days, that will easily handle a 1080 or vega + high end intel or ryzen.... after you seemed to misunderstand that as some MS attack. I went on to say that a lot of the tech that we associated with high end gaming rigs 5-10 years back isn't really all that attractive anymore. SLI and RAID imo where the main reasons a lot of people build high end gaming machines with full ATX boards and cases. Over the years I have built more then a few machines for myself and friends inside cases intended for servers.

If I may suggest perhaps before you go off next time... read what your responding too a second time and ask yourself. Are they really attacking MS and or Windows right now or did I read that wrong. lol

The only point that was made about SLI... was that very few gamers require it, its a tech that seems to be in sunset mode. It has very little bang for the buck for even the richest of gamers. IMO if you want to build a high end Windows or Linux PC for gaming and gaming alone... Micro-ATX makes the most sense these days. There are plenty of good boards that you can sit Ryzen 1800xs in or high end i7s... 32-64 gb of ram... SSDs don't need the big massive cases the days of running Raptors in Raid or anything that crazy are over. Somehow from that line of conversation you read someone hating on windows??? or something, I still don't understand what your hot about really. lol

Did you link his post just to prove you have issues with reading comprehension ?

This thread isn't about windows... we where not discussing windows. I don't care about windows gaming... you are the one that interjected a bunch of stuff about windows for some reason in a thread about Valve and SteamOS. When talking about steam machine hardware and the form factor I sure mentioned that current tech in use means things like SLI simply aren't a draw anymore making the idea of building high end gaming PCs on the micro atx platform more then just a viable option. I honestly can't think of any reason to build a full ATX based machine for just gaming anymore it seems completely illogical to me. (I don't care what software we are talking about running on it)

Yes I said sli is dead... cause it is. Argue about that all you like I don't care, it has nothing to do with software.

SLI has nothing to do with software? I get that you're trolling but really? Like these titles you don't play with no hardware updates just start getting great SLI support?

SLI has nothing to do with software? I get that you're trolling but really? Like these titles you don't play with no hardware updates just start getting great SLI support?

Oh for f sake stop reading what you want into things all the time. I get that your trolling but seriously its getting old. lol

No argument from me. And yet there's all of this SLI is dead and I started using Linux because of overclocking? It's just crazy crap you guys bought up.

How many times do people have to explain to you that you have an issue with English ?

SLI came up because we where talking about small form factor gaming PCs... and someone was talking about loving their steam machines form factor. To which I responded that the reasons to build a full on stereotypical gamer machine with a big massive case just aren't strong anymore. That is it... that is all.

Bullet... simply stated that at one time he was a SLI guy like many gamers. He decided at some point that his power sucking overclocked super gaming rig was way overkill for surfing the web and doing all the other stuff he does outside of gaming. So he build a smaller... cooler... less breaker busting machine for his daily use. The fact that he choose Linux for it isn't even relevant if you read what he wrote. Talking about hardware he was saying he didn't need to be powering 2 GPUs and a overclocked CPU to read HardOCP ect. He choose Linux cause well if your not going to game wth would anyone use windows.... so the advantage is he has a Linux powered secure daily driver running on nice quite power efficient hardware, and he has his hover cooled full power electric bill killing windows gaming PC that he can keep powered down when he isn't playing games.

It was all perfectly logical.... and somehow you read something very different then what was written.

How can I be trolling when I'm the only one using the stuff you guys are blasting?

Oh just shut up I have owned more then a few dual GPU machines over the years. The issues they had back then have never been solved. NV themselves have officially killed all but 2 way SLI. AAA game developers are as slow to support SLI and crossfire today as they where 5 years ago. Nothing on that front has changed... but the power of todays single cards make it even less attractive. I have no idea why we are even arguing this.

How many times do people have to explain to you that you have an issue with English ?

SLI came up because we where talking about small form factor gaming PCs... and someone was talking about loving their steam machines form factor.

I think you have a problem with science. Like I don't understand that pumping a 1000W to a PC isn't a great idea for a SFF PC. That has not a thing to do with SLI. And it's exactly along the lines of equating Linux with overclocking like BD clearly linked.

Oh just shut up I have owned more then a few dual GPU machines over the years.

Because if someone isn't running the latest and greatest Linux components you tell them to shut up. Hell I spend a lot of time running Linux on shit you'd guys never touch. It's always the same "You don't understand Linux."

I SLI is dead which it isn't I have like 10 other devices I've not even turned on for years to run Linux as a client host. Invariably you tell me I don't know what I'm doing.

Fine. I run Windows. It works great, I do things you guys don't touch.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I think you have a problem with science. Like I don't understand that pumping a 1000W to a PC isn't a great idea for a SFF PC. That has not a thing to do with SLI. And it's exactly along the lines of equating Linux with overclocking like BD clearly linked.

Dude please go down to the local high school and look into a remedial English course. Most offer decent EASL classes that may help alternatively.

Fine. I run Windows. It works great, I do things you guys don't touch.

You go rock star.

People have opinions, they are not always going to be the same as yours. Disagree all you like, I'm fine with that.

I will type this once more cause I don't think you read it the first time. Sometimes before you go off... read what your responding too a second time. I believe you sometimes read things that are simply not there.

Dude please go down to the local high school and look into a remedial English course. Most offer decent EASL classes that may help alternatively.

:ROFLMAO: Because people who build 8k$ gaming rigs need the lesson. /s

People have opinions, they are not always going to be the same as yours. Disagree all you like, I'm fine with that.

I get that and that's fine. I was only discussing your point on SLI. Obviously I have a different opinion on it because you don't use it. Duh.

https://hardforum.com/threads/no-va...the-steam-controller.1940072/#post-1043120026

This is what you said about it. Maybe it's not what you men to say exactly but you clearly are making a connection to Linux to something that has not a shift to do with Linux.

I didn't attack anyone and I didn't bring up SLI which neither you of ChadD know anything about these days as it relates to Windows gaming. Both you claim to steer clear of Windows. That's fine. And I get you claim to fix PCs but I doubt anyone running SLI and knows what it is takes a PC to a typical PC repair shop to be repaired. It's ultra niche shit as you point out. Swap out parts, sure. I'd never let someone else try to fix it. Not in a zillion years. Like anyone else that runs this kind of hardware.

What are you talking about? You are all over the place.

Once again, understand this, as hard as that may be. I have never associated overclocking with any particular operating system, even in the pointless link you provided. Furthermore I've been running SLI since it's inception with the the 6xxx series only stopping when I sold my other 980Ti and I own a Windows gaming machine and know only too well exactly what Windows is capable of in comparison to Linux.

Thread locked, good job.

Woah, what's peeking around the corner there to the right? Could it be a Windows desktop on a 4k monitor?

tskonc0l.jpg

Well hell boy, there's a Windows machine!

PneT1N1l.jpg

At 5Ghz! A speed that's in no way related to the OS - Naturally.

P1aBia7l.jpg

See why I call him names Kyle? See why I attack him? I'm not the troll here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back