No thread about the framework laptop?

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
I can't believe there isn't a thread already about the framework laptop? I know laptops usually aren't all that [H] but this thing is neat!

https://frame.work/

ChrisTX12

Limp Gawd
Got linked to it by a co-worker. Interested in the future mainboard upgrade pricing.

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
lol, $749 with i5, no ram, no wifi, no hdd, no OS.

No thanks.

Being able to upgrade the mainboard is a clever idea, but a high cost would render it pointless. This is definitely a "check back in a few years" company to me.
This is not the laptop for those wanting a 499 laptop. You are paying for a tiny firm, to compete with the likes of Dell and HP and change the game. This is for those who want to invest in the future, invest in a company that can hopefully grow, and prove this idea can work.

If ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI etc. started making motherboards for it, and the form factor became a standard (call it nano-ATX?) this thing would become a whole lot more interesting than it presently is.

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
If ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI etc. started making motherboards for it, and the form factor became a standard (call it nano-ATX?) this thing would become a whole lot more interesting than it presently is.
That could happen *IF* the sales were there to show the rest of the Industry that we actually care about something like this.

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
saw this last week, thought there would be one too. seems interesting. i like the repairability.

michalrz

2[H]4U
The layout is indeed very nicely put together.

For me, personally, the 15mm thickness actually means it won't be as upgradable as it could be if it were, well, thicker.
I know the thin devices have an appeal these days, but from a tinkering standpoint - no.
I might be missing something.

cdabc123

2[H]4U
The problem is this is near a ultrabooks form factor.

When I buy a laptop in that form factor I want to do be light, fairly durable, and have a decent battery. The only parts I expect to be upgradable are the storage and memory. Amds apus seem to work pretty well for this application and are a whole heck of a lot cheaper then this junk.

If I'm buying a mobile workstation then I may be interested in ease of upgrades but this laptop is the wrong way to go about that.

I have a sager p750zm. Big brick of a laptop, heafty, and constructed very well. It looks new after 5+ years (I cant say the same about my ultrabooks). This laptop has remained useful for so long as it takes socketed desktop 1150 cpus. A overclocked 4790k can still hold it's own to every laptop and many desktops. It runs 32gb of ram has 2 sata ssd slots and 2 pcie m.2. In addition a mxm GPU that can be switched however mxm compatibility is its own problem.

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
its built primarily for repairability and then some upgradeability, so yes there are limits.

Kardonxt

2[H]4U
This is not the laptop for those wanting a 499 laptop. You are paying for a tiny firm, to compete with the likes of Dell and HP and change the game. This is for those who want to invest in the future, invest in a company that can hopefully grow, and prove this idea can work.
Lol it's not even a laptop for people looking for $1000 computers. Their cheapest ready to go option is $1000 with specs comparable to a $600 laptop from competitors.

This is straight up a laptop for people who believe in the cause and want to change the world. I get it, but that's not me.... I'm not paying a premium to be a guinea pig for a product that will likely fail. I've never had a customer come to me and ask, "Hey, can you recommend a cool, innovative laptop, that is easy to repair, eco friendly, and upgradable? I don't mind if it costs significantly more than similar performing laptops."

Starting with the borderline Ultrabook market first is an odd choice too. Their targeting a demographic that typically doesn't need to upgrade hardware frequently. It seems like their upgradability shtick would be a much bigger deal in the mobile workstation \ gaming segments.

I'm not saying they aren't cool or interesting. I'm just not sure there's as much demand for their product as they think there is.

cdabc123

2[H]4U
Lol it's not even a laptop for people looking for $1000 computers. Their cheapest ready to go option is $1000 with specs comparable to a $600 laptop from competitors.

This is straight up a laptop for people who believe in the cause and want to change the world. I get it, but that's not me.... I'm not paying a premium to be a guinea pig for a product that will likely fail. I've never had a customer come to me and ask, "Hey, can you recommend a cool, innovative laptop, that is easy to repair, eco friendly, and upgradable? I don't mind if it costs significantly more than similar performing laptops."

Starting with the borderline Ultrabook market first is an odd choice too. Their targeting a demographic that typically doesn't need to upgrade hardware frequently. It seems like their upgradability shtick would be a much bigger deal in the mobile workstation \ gaming segments.

I'm not saying they aren't cool or interesting. I'm just not sure there's as much demand for their product as they think there is.
Upgradability generally requires industry support and standards. Unfortunately the way they are doing it is to just sell there own proprietary hardware. Normally the whole main board for a ultrabooks can be switched out for a cpu upgrade, on common laptops they can be found for reasonably cheap. Perhaps even cheaper then proprietary upgrades controlled by this one company.

I would have preferred a manufacturer to take a stand on the mobile workstation front stuffing as many standardized desktop parts into a laptop as possible. Those are the laptops people will end up running for awhile as opposed to most ultrabooks which are ultimately disposable and replaceable due to designs necessary for the form factor.

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
I'm not paying a premium to be a guinea pig for a product that will likely fail.
If it fails its because there is no demand. If there is no demand, then ultimately it will be the shitty masses of which you speak, that will ruin it, like always.

trasixes

Gawd
Keyboard reminds of the cheap Asus laptops, same overall design style too. I'm not really seeing anything that impresses me, except the concept. Hopefully it will involve into something amazing.

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
I like the idea but without some sort of discrete GPU daughter board it's not viable for me.

trandoanhung1991

[H]ard|Gawd
No idea why they couldn't have gone with the higher cost "power user/gamer" market to start. Would've been a better start IMO since MXM was always available but never took off, so that's an "easy win" right there, and power users/gamers are the ones that have the need, the willingness, the monetary capability and the knowledge for this stuff.

Going for the Dell XPS crowd is a bad move IMO. They're the ones most sticky to their laptops, and can end up using the same one for years until something break. They're the ones who most need the traditional OEMs because they can actually take advantage of that 5+ years warranty.

I would've definitely been interested in a gaming laptop where you have the ability to drop-in upgrade the CPU and GPU, or even just the GPU. Pair a 5800H with a 3060/3070 130W for this year, and a few years down the road grab a x060/x070 module and drop it in for another 2-3 years of decent gaming for the cheap.

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
No idea why they couldn't have gone with the higher cost "power user/gamer" market to start. Would've been a better start IMO since MXM was always available but never took off, so that's an "easy win" right there, and power users/gamers are the ones that have the need, the willingness, the monetary capability and the knowledge for this stuff.

Going for the Dell XPS crowd is a bad move IMO. They're the ones most sticky to their laptops, and can end up using the same one for years until something break. They're the ones who most need the traditional OEMs because they can actually take advantage of that 5+ years warranty.

I would've definitely been interested in a gaming laptop where you have the ability to drop-in upgrade the CPU and GPU, or even just the GPU. Pair a 5800H with a 3060/3070 130W for this year, and a few years down the road grab a x060/x070 module and drop it in for another 2-3 years of decent gaming for the cheap.
I'm guessing that availability of GPUs, including laptop GPUs, probably has something to do with it.