No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait, did anyone actually want split screen on the PC version of Star Wars Battlefront? I get why console people like it, but PC owners?

There's a new FAQ on the Star Wars Battlefront website with more details on DICE's upcoming Star Wars action game. Though split screen multiplayer support is more applicable to console gaming, there will be some PC gamers disappointed to learn that this feature will not be part of the Windows edition of the game.

I want it. I don't own a console, and yet I still have guests come over that want to play games sometimes. Just this past weekend I played Broforce on my TV 4 player with controllers and had a ton of fun. My wife has just a mini underpowered laptop and sometimes she wants to play games with me. The list of games with local multiplayer are very limited.

99% of time I dont need splitscreen, but there is no good reason to NOT include it. The power of PC is supposed to be options: graphics levels, input type, display connector type, OS, parts... number of local players should be an option as well.

If you're playing mouse and keyboard can the computer be told to assign 1 of each to the player's input? That's something I haven't ever seen before - but there's a lot of stuff I haven't seen...

Yeah, maybe you should get the option of split screen with 2 controllers plugged into your rig. 2 mouse & keyboards are a bit more tricky.

LOL it would be interesting especially if you can play it in 4 k on a 40"+ monitor on PC.. might actually make splitscreen useful but don't really want it.

with more and more people hooking PCs up to tvs, and the introduction of steam boxes, i really hope more split screen pc games come out.

Steam Machines/Steam Links could also be changing some of this too. I signed up for a Steam Link when they are released and I could see some setups where split screen on a PC may be beneficial in a few scenarios.

This has been a trend for a number of years, and the main reason I just bought a PS4.
It's a shame because 4K gaming and Ultra Wide (3440x1400) monitors are PC exclusive and perfect for split screen.

Are there numbers of how many people use the Steam big screen?

While I am sure there are people that use a PC like a living room console, without numbers I would assume it to be fairly low. Just like HTPC users vs roku etc.

If that is the case I can see why it would be nice to be forward thinking but not surprising if they are not.

I'm surprised that it actually takes much development time to offer it as a feature on PC if they're already doing it for consoles.

Ugggg!!! Give it to us!!!

with steam pushing steam big picture and steam OS and all the other conveniences the Consoles Get.. why can't we get this as well?

I have 2 controllers hooked up to my PC and I play local coop with my sons all the time!!

Grrr!!!

horrible decision

Too true with a big 4K!

60" 4k split 4 way would be 4x 30" 1080P. That's playable from a few feet away on a couch with maybe some UI considerations.

Considering that each player will be looking at different things or in different parts of the map doesn't that mean that RAM and VRAM usage would be much higher?

split second doing vertical split screen with eyefinity and two monitors was certainly fun

This has been a trend for a number of years, and the main reason I just bought a PS4.
It's a shame because 4K gaming and Ultra Wide (3440x1400) monitors are PC exclusive and perfect for split screen.

Yep, I got a 3440x1440 monitor and it's fantastic.

As far as the input issue. Steam does a great job of accepting dual Xbox One controllers.

I have played the LEGO games and Goat Simulator split screen and it has worked real well.

I would much rather they focus on making it stable on release day. This is DICE making it, they don't exactly have a good track record in this area.

this would be a great feature for living room gamers and it could one up the consoles by providing a better split screen experience

They are excluding splitscreen on pc to work on increasing player count for pc right? :rolleyes:

Split screen means I can play with a friend without buying two copies of the same game.

It's sad that MK and Dirt3 is pretty much our only choice.

Split screen means I can play with a friend without buying two copies of the same game.

It's sad that MK and Dirt3 is pretty much our only choice.

MK as in Mortal Kombat? Street Fighter does this as well, though in fighting games, it isn't "split screen".

I want it. I don't own a console, and yet I still have guests come over that want to play games sometimes. Just this past weekend I played Broforce on my TV 4 player with controllers and had a ton of fun. My wife has just a mini underpowered laptop and sometimes she wants to play games with me. The list of games with local multiplayer are very limited.

99% of time I dont need splitscreen, but there is no good reason to NOT include it. The power of PC is supposed to be options: graphics levels, input type, display connector type, OS, parts... number of local players should be an option as well.

Honestly I wouldn't mind an option for graphic scaling when splitscreen is used. If I'm splitscreening I'm in the same boat where we're sitting on the couch with controllers having fun. The only thing I'd ask is that the scaling was based on what your GPU setup was and not forced so if you have a strong GPU setup it wasn't forced on you.

Perhaps its that I have fond memories of NES~Xbox with dragging my console over to friends houses and playing the new game that we bought with friends, but I really do hope we see a comeback of local splitscreen.

Has anyone ever used split screen on a PC in the history of ever? I know there are some silly flash games, but on a 27" monitor, who wants to share?

I have played split screen on PC a long time ago. I think I was around ten years old, would play a rally racing game with my sister on a windows 98 PC. Can't remember the name of the game, was a bootleg anyways like most of my PC games were back then. Uncle of mine would bootleg a bunch of games for me. I think some of them were mods, were buggy as hell. We used the same keyboard when racing. I used WASD, which felt weird at the time, and she used the arrow keys. I thought that game looked gorgeous, probably looks like pixels if I ever find it again.

I used to love playing splitscreen on SNES and N64, and thought it would be nice to try again with my XBOX ONE on a 60" TV, but it just doesn't translate well to higher resolutions.

How the fuck do you even do splitscreen on PC anyway? Seriously, i've never done that even once.

How the fuck do you even do splitscreen on PC anyway? Seriously, i've never done that even once.

Well, I for one have my PC hooked up to my living room HDTV. I have four wireless 360 controllers that my kids and I use to play local co-op games. Some are split screen, up to four way (Sonic All Stars Racing and Transformed) Portal 2, and lot's of lego games.

Every one I've played only requires one controller plus a mouse and keyboard to play local co-op. It's fun to play with M/KB against someone with a controller or vise versa.

Here is a list of local co-op games on Steam, but I can't tell you how many have split screen.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=3841&page=1

Back