No sound, speakers not detected?

titan97

Gawd
My old mobo died (see thread here), so I bought a used ASUS P8Z77-V Pro. I did a fresh install of Windows 10, and everything seemed to work fine, but I could not get the sound to work. Occasionally, during normal usage (as I was installing apps and such), I would get notification from the RealTek HD Audio Manager that a new device had been plugged into the speaker jacks, yet I wasn't working anywhere near the speaker jacks. I thought this was odd, but continued on. Eventually, I needed to get the sound running, but everything I did failed to produce good results. I tried the latest Realtek drivers (v2.82). There was no HD Audio Manager included in this driver package, and I was unable to get the sound to work. I would pull the 3.5mm plugs from the jacks and reinsert them, but none of them were detected. This included the front panel jacks, too. I tried v 2.81. I got the HD Audio Manager to install, but still no sound. I tried the drivers from the ASUS website for this board. No love. I then reinstalled Win10 and the ASUS-site drivers. no love. I tried a fresh install of Win8.1 (ugh, I hate that UI). Still no sound. I went back to Win10 and I'm looking to return the board for a refund.

In all cases, the Windows Sound Manager shows that it is outputting sound, but I get nothing from the speakers. I hook up the speakers to my phone, and they work perfectly.

So, bad board?

i would check the settings in windows.. since moving to windows 10 i don't touch the drivers at all, i just let windows install them and set everything else up through windows.

in windows is it showing the speakers/headset what ever in the sound control panel? if it's not showing there it could be bad or just by dumb chance check and see if there's a bios option to enable the onboard audio.. only other thing i could think of is that since you're using an AMD card(nvidia does it as well) if you're using HDMI/display port it may be auto defaulting to your monitor even if there are no speakers.

I had a similar issue while comparing onboard audio. Apparently in new driver versions the Realtek service (RtkAudUService64 in my case) has to run at startup/be running or sound doesn't work.

i would check the settings in windows.. since moving to windows 10 i don't touch the drivers at all, i just let windows install them and set everything else up through windows.

in windows is it showing the speakers/headset what ever in the sound control panel? if it's not showing there it could be bad or just by dumb chance check and see if there's a bios option to enable the onboard audio.. only other thing i could think of is that since you're using an AMD card(nvidia does it as well) if you're using HDMI/display port it may be auto defaulting to your monitor even if there are no speakers.

Windows Sound Control Panel has entries for Speakers and headphones. They will randomly switch between the red down arrow and the green checkmark. In all cases, the sound doesn't work. I've also tried using the vanilla Windows High Definition Audio driver, but still no sound.

The BIOS shows the onboard audio is enabled. I will try to disable it and see if that does anything.

I've also disabled all other audio devices (numerous HDMI devices). Still no sound.

did you ever install the chipset drivers?

I had before, and I just installed the drivers from Intel's site (Chipset and Management Engine) when I selected the Z77 chipset. Their Driver Assistant didn't find any drivers for my system.

I also disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS and now the Sound Control Panel shows no devices, so at least that works as it is supposed to.

I had a similar issue while comparing onboard audio. Apparently in new driver versions the Realtek service (RtkAudUService64 in my case) has to run at startup/be running or sound doesn't work.

I can't see that this EXE is running. I have the HD Audio Background Process (RAVBg64.exe) running as a service. When I try to start the EXE that you listed, a command prompt window opens and closes, or, when I run the EXE in a command prompt window, nothing seems to happen.

What does your Device Manager have under sound? Do you have 32-bit or 64-bit Win 10?

I'd try this:

Unplug any speakers
Reboot and go into BIOS
Reenable sound in BIOS
Reboot and allow Windows to load
Download and install latest sound drivers from Asus:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...40.236377329.1541625656-2020203000.1541625656

Reboot again, then plug speakers in

Device Manager shows either HD Audio Device (using the Windows driver) or Realtek High Definition Audio (when using the Realtek drivers).

64-bit Win10

I followed your directions and still no sound.

Tried the new driver. No joy.
di you disconnect the front panel? try the speakers in another port and test them under 5.1 or 7.1 see what happens. trying to rule out if its the socket or chip. have you disabled all other sound devices in the sound settings?

di you disconnect the front panel? try the speakers in another port and test them under 5.1 or 7.1 see what happens. trying to rule out if its the socket or chip. have you disabled all other sound devices in the sound settings?

Yes, the front panel wire was disconnected. No joy. I've tried the speakers in every port. They are never detected nor do I get any sound ever. All other devices are disabled.

double check the bios for anything other than audio on/off, then id call it dead. you've done everything you can that I can think of. when you tear it apart test it one last time out of the case, just in case theres a short or something, then rma/return/exchange it.

f6c.jpg

In all seriousness, I have a Sabertooth X58 board that exhibits the same signs. I can't get it to work for the life of me, so I just dropped in a PCI sound card.

What if you 'right-click' on your speaker in your toolbar, then go to 'playback devices'? Anything there that can be enabled?

What if you 'right-click' on your speaker in your toolbar, then go to 'playback devices'? Anything there that can be enabled?

I've gone through that, too. Before I disabled them, I would see one HDMI connection, and one or two SPDIF connections (I don't have a SPDIF speaker set). None of them would produce any sound when I selected them, in any case.

This was a board that I bought on eBay. The seller has agreed to a return. I have since purchase a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 that has been great for the past couple of days. The sounds works. I've put it through 24 hours of AIDA64 and Furmark without it crashing, so let's hope that it lasts me another couple of years.

The one thing that I really like about the ASRock board is that it tells you if it detects a connection to most peripherals while in the UEFI. I can click on the I/O backplane picture, and then click on the audio jack pictures, and it tells me that something is plugged in (or not).

Back