No sound in Mafia 3. I freakin give up

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the digital deluxe version of Mafia 3 and for the love of me cannot get the voices to play in cutscenes or in game. All other sounds play fine. I think I have done everything that is possible within my realm of computer skills trying to fix this including, going to control panel and changing sound to stereo or 2 channel and then reinstalling the game, twice. Please, any help would be appreciated. 2K forums are no help.

I have the digital deluxe version of Mafia 3 and for the love of me cannot get the voices to play in cutscenes or in game. All other sounds play fine. I think I have done everything that is possible within my realm of computer skills trying to fix this including, going to control panel and changing sound to stereo or 2 channel and then reinstalling the game, twice. Please, any help would be appreciated. 2K forums are no help.

yup. I've never had this type of problem with a game install. Usually I could figure shit out myself with Googles help, but not this one. Going on 2 weeks now!

Stray idea: Make sure your sound settings are no higher than 48000 KHz.

I put this without quotes in the search engine (Google in this case): "mafia 3 PC no sound"

I got a bunch of hits on the first page but I'm betting you have already been through all of that.

Someone said it might be surround settings and the voices are being sent to something that doesn't exist or some such. It almost seems like it as specific as your case is.

Make sure any dynamic range nonsense is disabled. Anything like that.

Go to sound options and set it to barebones software sound. Then try and report back. If you are using headphones it can be a bad cable or headphone jack.

Stray idea: Make sure your sound settings are no higher than 48000 KHz.

I put this without quotes in the search engine (Google in this case): "mafia 3 PC no sound"

I got a bunch of hits on the first page but I'm betting you have already been through all of that.

Someone said it might be surround settings and the voices are being sent to something that doesn't exist or some such. It almost seems like it as specific as your case is.

Make sure any dynamic range nonsense is disabled. Anything like that.

Just tried lowering sound to 46000Khz to no avail and disabling surround and such. Still not working. Looks like I'll have to wait for Hangar 18 to release another patch and go from there. Thanks though

that's a good point. disable any and all overlays that you might have, steam, origin etc

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Thanks guys. Still nothing. I will try an update my motherboards sound driver if possible and get back to ya.

like this
Maybe it is missing one of those C+ distributables or the DirectX ones.

like this
that could be it too. check the install folder for a "support" or "_CommonRedist" folder and install everything in it.

like this
I've tried all of these "fixes" to no avail. I remember I had a problem with Far Cry 3 where I could not open any doors in game or something like that. I tried everything including reinstalling my OS. I was using Win 7 at the time.

That didn't work either. What did work was installing Win 8.1. That worked like a charm. I know this doesn't have anything to do with this problem, I'm just saying how fickle these problems can be

like this
Damn that sucks lol, be sure to let us know the fix when and if you find one.

Still have not gotten this sorted out, but I will, I promise. Even though these types of problems can be downright maddening, we still love the challenge of figuring this shit out. And when we do we're like, Fuck Yeah!!

Problems like this can be both maddening and satisfying...assuming you can find that one-in-a-million quirk that fixes the issue.
I'm still looking for a way to prevent the Crew from going into bullet time at random.

Just bought this game and experiencing exactly the same problem as the OP. No sound nor voices during in-game or cutscenes....

Random ideas:

Do you guys have teamviewer or audio repeaters installed and running in the background? If so, disable or uninstall

Do you have Additional audio devices (to include monitor outputs)? If so disable them (just as a test)

Do you have a 5.1 or greater sound system? Plug in only Front L/R and test again

Do you have ANY positional audio on? Disable it

Do you have Nvidia shadow play, or any other recording software installed? Disable it

Lastly, test with a USB audio device, this will have it's own sound processing and will possibly rule out your system as the issue at all and pin it directly on the game.

Update: Nothing has changed. I still have not been able to fix this problem. The only thing left for me to try would be to install my older copy of Windows 7, which I don't want to do, or install my new copy of Windows 10 that's been sitting on my desk for about 4 months, which is also something I don't want to do. I've gotten real comfortable with my Windows 8.1 and haven't had a reason to upgrade until now. Not really a reason but a little incentive if I can play this game. Its not like I don't have anything to play because I do. I've been loving Resident Evil Biohazard. I'll give another update later if anybody gives a shit.

Damn dude! I feel for you. I'm genuinely perplexed and mystified by this.

I saw they had put a game update out last week or some such? Obviously didn't make any difference? :(

Have you contacted 2k Tech support or been on their forums or anything? I can't believe you'd be the only person with a problem like this since I'm assuming you've had zero problems with any other games and programs?

Sounds silly - but it's possibly dialog is being forced to the center channel and you simply don't have one.

Sounds silly - but it's possibly dialog is being forced to the center channel and you simply don't have one.

I thought when in Stereo mode that All audio is forced through the L and R speakers or headphones. But what do I know. I might go to Best buy and buy a cheap sound card with 5.1 audio. I use a Logitech 2 speaker 1 bass setup being pushed by my EVGA x58 motherboards audio. Realtek HD I believe.

This game had so much potential. The first few hours were awesome then it fell flat on its face.

I had a similar issue with SWTOR and that was due to the 'GX' option (a kind of soundblaster EAX emulation) being enabled in the control panel of my Xonar soundcard.
Does yours have an EAX compatible/emulation mode? Might want to turn it off and check.

I had a similar issue with SWTOR and that was due to the 'GX' option (a kind of soundblaster EAX emulation) being enabled in the control panel of my Xonar soundcard.
Does yours have an EAX compatible/emulation mode? Might want to turn it off and check.

No it does not but thanks.

Damn dude! I feel for you. I'm genuinely perplexed and mystified by this.

I saw they had put a game update out last week or some such? Obviously didn't make any difference? :(

Have you contacted 2k Tech support or been on their forums or anything? I can't believe you'd be the only person with a problem like this since I'm assuming you've had zero problems with any other games and programs?

I have 0 responses within 2K forums and 2K support gives me the vanilla answers that I've already tried such as Verifying game cache, Reinstalling DirectX and Vcredist and last but not least, try unplugging my controller.

like this
I thought when in Stereo mode that All audio is forced through the L and R speakers or headphones. But what do I know. I might go to Best buy and buy a cheap sound card with 5.1 audio. I use a Logitech 2 speaker 1 bass setup being pushed by my EVGA x58 motherboards audio. Realtek HD I believe.
Are your speakers connected using an analog connection (typically a green-colored connector)?

First thing to do:
  1. Right-click on the speaker icon in your system tray (bottom-right of screen) and click on "Playback devices"
  2. Find the output device your speakers are connected to, typically the one set as default with a green check mark, right-click on it and select "Configure speakers"
  3. Select Stereo, click Next -> check the "Front left and right" full-range speaker box, click Next, then click Finish
Next step:
  1. While in the same Playback device area, right-click on your default output device and select "Properties"
  2. Go to the Enhancements tab and check "Disable all enhancements"
  3. Click the OK button and test your game
Other:
If you have the Realtek audio control panel software, make sure your speakers are set to stereo.

The only reason for getting the effect where voices are quiet would be that the game thinks your PC has 5.1 speakers connected. Ensure that your speakers are connected to the front L/R audio output on the motherboard (if that's what you're using) and ensure that your audio output device is set to full-range stereo; if it is set to anything like 5.1 or 7.1, you will lose audio.

like this
Just a quick trouble shooting. Watch the audio output meter for windows sound and see if you get "metered" volume change when you think dialog is being spoken.

This should tell you if the sounds are even making it to the audio device in windows .

If not it's a game problem and then you can start looking at libraries etc... if it is and you aren't hearing it then it's an obvious problem with your audio hardware layer somewhere

like this
Are your speakers connected using an analog connection (typically a green-colored connector)?

First thing to do:
  1. Right-click on the speaker icon in your system tray (bottom-right of screen) and click on "Playback devices"
  2. Find the output device your speakers are connected to, typically the one set as default with a green check mark, right-click on it and select "Configure speakers"
  3. Select Stereo, click Next -> check the "Front left and right" full-range speaker box, click Next, then click Finish
Next step:
  1. While in the same Playback device area, right-click on your default output device and select "Properties"
  2. Go to the Enhancements tab and check "Disable all enhancements"
  3. Click the OK button and test your game
Other:
If you have the Realtek audio control panel software, make sure your speakers are set to stereo.

The only reason for getting the effect where voices are quiet would be that the game thinks your PC has 5.1 speakers connected. Ensure that your speakers are connected to the front L/R audio output on the motherboard (if that's what you're using) and ensure that your audio output device is set to full-range stereo; if it is set to anything like 5.1 or 7.1, you will lose audio.

djoye, everything is and was set up just like you suggested to no avail. Thanks

like this
MelonSplitter

What is the specific model of motherboard you have? I have a longshot idea of what may be happening but I need to research the board first.

Just a quick trouble shooting. Watch the audio output meter for windows sound and see if you get "metered" volume change when you think dialog is being spoken.

This should tell you if the sounds are even making it to the audio device in windows .

If not it's a game problem and then you can start looking at libraries etc... if it is and you aren't hearing it then it's an obvious problem with your audio hardware layer somewhere

Evga X58 Sli LE

How do you enable sound metering in game?

MelonSplitter

I've ran quite a few searches trying to find out what the specific audio I/C is on the X58 SLI LE but have come up empty handed. Can you look at your board and see if you can read the lettering on the chip?

MelonSplitter

I've ran quite a few searches trying to find out what the specific audio I/C is on the X58 SLI LE but have come up empty handed. Can you look at your board and see if you can read the lettering on the chip?

I assume you mean the Realtek chip number. I'll have a look and get back to you. Thanks Ace.

If it's voices only, then it might be a game issue. Maybe the voices are not in english? Or with some games, you can opt not to install additional languages, maybe that has something to do with missing voices.

Just run the game and open the windows volume panel and you will see the metering Next to the game in the volume panel

I just did this and there was metered sound with the intro and in game music, but once the beginning narration started with the priest I believe, I could not hear his voice even though the subtitles were playing. The sound and the metering stopped

I assume you mean the Realtek chip number. I'll have a look and get back to you. Thanks Ace.

Pick up a Xonar DG ($30) and use the Xonar Unified Drivers.

It fixed all my gaming issues due to my Realtek mobo sound (Realtek ALC888)....

Back