No sound from my usb dac

acameron_56

Limp Gawd
So today I restarted the computer, and when it booted back up into windows, my usb dac no longer output sound. It is recognized and is supposedly functioning properly, and its set as my sound device. Right now all I can use for sound is my X-fi pci card...and I have a feeling that the creative drivers are at the root of this problem. Any ideas on why it no longer works?

Cheers

Make sure all other audio devices are disabled and unplug and re-plugin the DAC from the wall. What DAC is it?

Thanks for the quick reply...so I disabled the creative drivers, and there you go, works now. Gah, I hate creative.

Any specific reason you have the X-Fi installed at all if you are using a USB DAC?

Any specific reason you have the X-Fi installed at all if you are using a USB DAC?
I don't know his reason, but probably he has a USB DAC to use with some sort of USB headset. They normally bring a converter.

I wanted to add that I had a very similar problem with my X-FI. I wanted to use my X-Fi for music, but my onboard for headphones. It took me several tries for the PC to learn and not change my settings after restart. I had the same issue of not getting sound, but was because the PC choose my onboard as my main speaker, when in reality I didn't have any speakers at all there, therefore giving me no sound. Also, my sound would sometimes go mute after entering a game, but is because the audio setting will lower the volume by itself after entering the game. All I did was Alt-Tab, raise the volume, and it was fixed.

Now the problems don't happen any more, and everything works great. It is just a problem of the Pc remembering the setting at the beginning. I also want to add, that the volume settings for Game, Entertainment, and Recoding mode are different, so you have to set each one. I think this your very same problem. Of course the DAC works now, but that's because you just uninstalled the X-fi. So windows is forced to use the only option it has. Of course, if you don't need the X-Fi, then no need to activate it. But if you do use it for other things, give what I suggested a try.

Well I just picked up some high-end headphones, so I figured they deserved a dedicated dac and amp, and I havent gotten around to selling my x-fi. I had the same problem as well with my realtek onboard...I never used it so I just disabled it. As for the x-fi driver, I only need to disable it to get my dac to work again, but I can re-enable the x-fi afterwards without a problem....yet :p.

Well I just picked up some high-end headphones, so I figured they deserved a dedicated dac and amp, and I havent gotten around to selling my x-fi. I had the same problem as well with my realtek onboard...I never used it so I just disabled it. As for the x-fi driver, I only need to disable it to get my dac to work again, but I can re-enable the x-fi afterwards without a problem....yet :p.
Well, are you configuring your devices correctly in Control Panel and double checking the change was done in the specific audio software you use after you disable or re-enable them?
But yeah, if it works and you only use headphones, then that's awesome. Isn't that the important thing? :)

Back