No signal when loading OS

9mmx19

[H]ard|Gawd
On my 6800 Ultra when I boot up it shows the POST screen and the windows loading screen but when it SHOULD load the XP login screen it goes blank and my LCD says "no signal." Here are some things Ive tried/symptoms:

1. Different video card (also NVIDIA) and everything works. So the computer should be okay.

2. The 6800 Ultra DOES boot into safe mode XP at 800x600. Why does it work in safe mode but not normally?

3. Different monitors and it blacks out at the same point.

4. The computer itself doesnt seem to freeze. If i enter my password and ALT-F4 I can shut down the computer normally.

Im going to try the card in a different computer and restore the HD from an image.

In a related question, would water damage to the card do this? There was an incident with some water I thought i MIGHT have damaged it but since it still works in safe mode I dont think so.

Any ideas/suggestions? Thx in advance.

Actually I had a BFG AGP 6800GT boot into safe mode but not into normal windows. It could very well be the card...

something like that happened to me once, i was running in SLI and accidentally set the monitor to the card that was running sidekick (but the monitor was hooked up to the primary card so when i rebooted it showed the windows logo and stuff but when the OS loaded it switched to the other card.

go into safe mode and check your video settings, or even reset them to default if you can, that should clear it up.

Hm that could be it - i was messing with another display too...

Okay uninstalled and reinstalled drivers - its fine now.

in the datacenter that usually means the video is getting redirected to the console after boot.. I don't think that's the case here, so hrm...... maybe your on the wrong DVI (video) port?

Back