No signal upon restart

Kalmado

Limp Gawd
Parts list

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $35.00)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $26.12)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F1 CE 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $55.44)
Case: Antec P50 WINDOW ILLUSION MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($0.00)
Total: $116.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-01 13:42 EST-0500

All parts have been used in other builds and have worked properly. Brand new parts were the gpu and ram. Neither cpu or gpu are overclocked. Power supply had been running a FX-6300 and R7 260X for months just fine. Also, OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Main Problem

When restarting the pc via reset button, from start menu, or after exiting BIOS signal is lost. I must do a hard shutdown and then boot to get signal back.

Troubleshooting So Far

Re-installed windows three times.
Wiped gpu drivers multiple times, each time using DDU, and ensuring the most recent Nvidia drivers are used.
Reset CMOS multiple times.
Tested with just onboard graphics. No video card. Same problem.
Tested using VGA and HDMI. Same problem.
Ensured motherboard BIOS is up to date (Version 1.9).
Checked Device Manager to ensure no errors are present. None exist.
Turned off pc. Unplugged power cable. Held down power button for one minute. Restarted. Same problem.

I am at my absolute wits end with this. I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. Please, anyone, help me with this. I cannot do windows updates properly, software installation that requires a restart, or overclock the cpu. Please, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
next step is a test psu.
I do have a CX430 laying around. However, I did just order a Gigabyte B85-D3V because it has the 3.0 header which the MSI lacks. Should be here on Wednesday and I'll test. I don't discredit it possibly being the psu but I find that weird since this system is using roughly 100 watts less than the previous system the psu came from. Weirder things happen I guess and it is a CX we're talking about.

I do have a CX430 laying around. However, I did just order a Gigabyte B85-D3V because it has the 3.0 header which the MSI lacks. Should be here on Wednesday and I'll test. I don't discredit it possibly being the psu but I find that weird since this system is using roughly 100 watts less than the previous system the psu came from. Weirder things happen I guess and it is a CX we're talking about.
not a matter of the wattage, its that its used and low end. for the time it would take to hook it up outside the case and test the system wouldn't it be worth while to know before hooking it up to another board?! everything you have already done has taken waaaaay longer than it would to hook up a test psu.

not a matter of the wattage, its that its used and low end. for the time it would take to hook it up outside the case and test the system wouldn't it be worth while to know before hooking it up to another board?! everything you have already done has taken waaaaay longer than it would to hook up a test psu.
Just tested with the CX430. Same thing. The good news about the board is, although it's a refurb, it's only $25 and no rebate from Newegg.

Well if a test PSU does the same thing, then you're on the right track with the board. The other possibility would be some kind of grounding issue.

Try using a new power cable. Assuming that fixes nothing, then you can try and run the system without it mounted in the case- just put the bare motherboard on a cardboard box or piece of wood or anything non-conductive (like the one your new mobo is coming in) and see if it experiences the same issue.

Also, even if all of that fails, while I see that it's an annoyance, I don't understand your list of shit you cannot do:
  • I cannot do windows updates properly, software installation that requires a restart, or overclock the cpu.
All of this is easily and properly accomplished with a cold boot. In other words, though the system says you need to "restart", the act of "shut down" and then turning it back on is functionally identical. The only ones where I could see it possibly interfering is on automatic Windows updates - which are of course optional and can be initiated manually - and overclocking. The system may view the failed restart as a failed POST and un-do your overclocking, but you can probably bypass that by entering your overclocking settings, then pressing Save in your BIOS (not save and restart or save and exit), and then pressing the power button to turn it off.

sinisterDei I agree. It's more so a huge annoyance and also, I plan to have this pc run 24/7 so I'd like it to display properly. I should mention that the cost of the new motherboard ($25) isn't bad because I was planning on having to buy an adapter for the case 3.0 anyways since the MSI H81m-p33 does not have the 3.0 header. While this pc is my Plex server, I have turned this into my wife's gaming pc after a lot of convincing to get her to try gaming. Having the extra usb ports available up front is a bonus.

Nice. Just making sure, and I think you're on the right path with the mobo.

Just wanted to update on this issue. Last night I installed the refurb Gigabyte B85-D3V from Newegg. After loading W7 Ultimate the pc restarts as it should and signal is received. It's still a tad bit confusing seeing as the MSI H81 has ran flawlessly over the last three years or so. Oh well, problem fixed!

Back