no signal from PCIex16 slot (GTX780)

SoftHard

n00b
Hi, I use MB Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (rev.1.3) and Gigabyte GTX780GHz for about one year (there was HD6970 before). Suddenly one day there was no signal on monitor after switched computer on, when switched to onboard video and checked device manager (GTX780), there was message "Code 43: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems". I somehow found position when card works, the card have to be taken little bit up and left (so it "stays" on the screw for slot beside) as can be found on picture. It was working for several days, then while gaming black screen and strange sound, restart, working fine for several minutes, black screen again, restart, no signal. Open case, took out the GTX, put back again (again stays on screw for slot behind), it worked! But I didnt want to have black scree again, so I moved the GTX to PCIex8 slot and it works just perfect for several days (normal position).

Did anyone met same issue? Do you please know what could be the problem? I tried to look at PCIex16 slot but didnt see any issue.

Code 43 means that there is either a software or hardware problem specifically with the card. (not the pcie slot)

What I would do if I was you

1. Update your motherboard chipset drivers to the newest
2. is remove all drivers using DDU in safe mode. ATI and Nvidia
3. Reboot Reinstall the newest drivers

Try again and see if the problem comes back. If so you may need to send the card in for warranty.

What are the rest of your system specs?

Hi Lord_Exodia, thanks for your reply, I already tried remove drivers in safe mode with driver sweepper, I can try with DDU again.
Do you please really thing it can be GTX issue when know it works normally in PCIex8 slot? Also I dont think its driver issue as there is no signal directly from the start, drivers are loaded later, right?

Other spec:
CPU: i5 2500k 3.3GHz (overlocked to 3.8 using GB software, but tried go back to 3.3 and still same when no signal) with Scythe Ninja 3
PS: Corsair TX850
RAM: Kingston HyperX blu 8GB (kit 2x 4GB) 1333MHz CL9
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB
HDD:Samsung SpinPoint F3 3.5" 1TB HD103SJ

Computer is 3 years old (except GTX&SSD)

Hi Lord_Exodia, thanks for your reply, I already tried remove drivers in safe mode with driver sweepper, I can try with DDU again.
Do you please really thing it can be GTX issue when know it works normally in PCIex8 slot? Also I dont think its driver issue as there is no signal directly from the start, drivers are loaded later, right?

Computer is 3 years old (except GTX&SSD)

Driver sweeper was good enough. Just as good as DDU IMO. Also yes I agree, if it's not showing video from post then that shows it's not a driver issue. See if you can try the card on another motherboard with a X16 slot. OR try another card in your motherboards X16 slot. In a perfect world you would try both. Maybe you have a friend who can give you their card and you give them yours to test and report back to each other.

At this point it sounds like it could be a problem with your card or a problem with your motherboard's X16 slot.

Do you recall changing any bios settings before this happened?

Try making sure that the setting in your bios for Primary video is set to PCIE instead of Auto or Onboard.

I didnt change any bios before this happened, but one more thing I remembered, when met this issue first time (and was on onboard video) I noticed that also my DVD ROM was not working, the solution was to remove driver and install again, but Iam not sure If these two are connented, DVD could not be working for longer time as I dont use it much.

I have old HD4670 (passive cooling) graphic card so I can try to install to PCIex16

The fact that it works when you adjust the position of the card in the slot suggests it's a problem with the slot. You can try cleaning the PCI-E slot and the contacts on the PCB on the card itself to be complete. You can clean the slot with a little isopropyl alcohol and a clean toothbrush. Compressed air can remove any particulates that may be present, as well. Make sure the components are completely dry before reinstalling and starting the computer up again.

Hi Guys, unfortunely the bad continous. I kept the GTX in PCIex8 slot for four months and now the situation is same as before in PCIex16 slot = black screen. When connected to motherboard I can see code 43 higlighted again :-(. I returned GTX back to PCIex16 and keep it little bit up as described in the beggining, it works but not sure for how long.

I know someone that had the same exact problem as you.
He went through 4 gpus, 2 motherboards,and 1cpu before the problem was fixed.

I think the culprit was his delidded cpu with a scratch on the pcb.

Did you delid your cpu?

I know someone that had the same exact problem as you.
He went through 4 gpus, 2 motherboards,and 1cpu before the problem was fixed.

I think the culprit was his delidded cpu with a scratch on the pcb.

Did you delid your cpu?

Sorry, what is delid, please? If I uninstall the CPU? No I didnt touch it. Also the computer works normally when connected to MLB graphic so I dont think CPU is the problem, right please?

Back