No SATA drivers?

asjwalsh

n00b
New build, Vista 32 bit, Intel D975XBX2 mobo, Western Dig 10k HDD using SATA drive. All is working great, but during initial boot the system says there is no hard drive. It then boots into Vista and runs great. In System Devices there is an exclamation mark and in Other Devices under Serial ATA Controller it states that No drivers are installed for this device. Running 1 HDD, 1 DVD (IDE drive) and no floppy. How do I get it to recognize the SATA drive?
By the way, 1st build, and I am thicker than 2 planks, so please keep it simple :)

I had a similar problem with my sata drive. I needed to update my acpi drivers. I did it myself once then a week later it showed new ones threw windows update and I did that. Now everything shows up.

BUT wait for more replies I'm am no expert. I haven't paid attention to computer hardware until a month ago when my amd xp 2400 based computer died.

So I'm still playing catch up

Cheers. Must admit to still being euphoric that the bloody thing worked when I plugged it in :D
Will try searching for the drivers you mention.

You need to install the SATA drivers for your motherboard....

-bZj

I've tried that; The Intel website doesn't have any Vista specific drivers for the D975XBX2 that I could find or get to work. But as I stated in the original post, I am as bright as a 10watt light bulb, so that doesn't mean they are not out there.

Ok thanks for that. Now this is where I am really behind the drag curve! I have not got a floppy drive and the drivers that came with the mobo are on floppys. I only have 1 hdd so why do I need RAID? I need an idiots guide explanation! Thanks in advance.

If you have the BIOS set to not use RAID, Windows should be seeing that SATA drive without any special drivers.

I have the D975bx version 1. during my testing with Vista I did not need any additional drivers to install Vista on a Sata HDD. Right before launch I was testing -- and finally got working -- support for RAID installation. It comes with a few quirks, which if anyone is interested I would be happy to discuss over PM's, and MS is still working out some of the kinks. But, to my knowledge, and after several builds on different hardware, Vista came loaded with the needed drivers.

Make sure to format the drive/partition you plan to install on before installing --via the Vista installation tools. Also, make sure you have the most up to date BIOS as well as any chipset drivers that will be needed. A great deal of the drivers and updates can be installed via USB Flash, so not having a floppy is slowly becoming a non-issue; Intel does have in-depth installation direction for installing via USB Flash device, as well as other options.

OK guys, this is how thick I am,

I assumed it was referring to my HDD cos that is the only SATA connection I thought I had. I looked a little closer, and the problem shows in Device Manager as the GeForce 8800GTS video card, which has the latest Vista 32bit driver and runs great. Device Manager just shows the exclamation mark and says there are no drivers on the PCIe slot 3, where the 8800 is. How do I get the mobo/bios (also updated to the most recent) to acknowledge the card on the PCIe, or should I just ignore it as the system seems to be working fine?

Eh...

It's a toss up really, but since you don't seem extremely comfortable troubleshooting your comp, I would go ahead and get the latest chipset and BIOS drivers. From what you just described, it would seem this is more of a outdated chipset driver; which shouldn't be too complicated to install. Now, with the BIOS, you'll need to follow Intel's instructions to the 'T', especially since you have no floppy.

Here's your links.
=============

Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX2
Installation and Use

Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX2
Select your operating system for available downloads.

Desktop Boards
Troubleshooting Serial ATA / RAID Issues

Intel® 975X Express Chipset

Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility
Do I Need to Upgrade to the Latest Version?

Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility
Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility Installation Sequence

Desktop Boards
BIOS Update Instructions

Desktop Boards
Instructions for iFlash BIOS Update

Dot_Zen,

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. Thanks. I am away from home til thursday, and then will try your suggested sites.

Back