'No Recording' FAIL of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
The good news: You catch some guy spray painting over a Picasso with your cell phone camera. The bad news: Security promptly come after you for recording in the museum as the vandal escapes. :eek:

The unknown vandal is seen in the video using a stencil to spray paint the word "conquista" (Spanish for "Conquer") and a bull on the 1929 masterpiece before running away. The person recording the video then approaches the "Woman in Red Armchair" painting where he is confronted by a security guard who sternly warns him photography is not allowed inside the museum.

So instead of stopping the guy or yelling for security, OP decides to pull out his camera phone? Sounds like they are working together.

Wow, worlds biggest fucking coward, both the defacer and the cameraman

Why did the guy rip out his cell phone and record it, instead of, you know, TACKLING the fucker and holding him for police? I've physically held shoplifters, public defacers and other idiots under citizens arrest, and this guys first inclination is to pull out a cellphone and tape it, and not STOP the crime?

I'm starting to believe this was staged. I think the cameraman was in on it. Like him running up to the painting, to look at the work, then to look at the plaque to show its authenticity. 100% bet this was staged between the two of them.

I looked into this a bit more earlier this morning.

What I found out is currently up for grabs, but the person who did this is local Houston street artist Uriel Landeros. Who has posted freely on his facebook page bragging out this incident. Interestingly enough he uses the proposed bullfighter mock up as a signature, or utilizes it in his art work in someway.

I think the authorities down in Houston know about this, but this is what I was able to pull up in about 20 minutes.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/529872_3671353629899_1978844140_n.jpg

This was about as much as I could find so far, and it seems the person who has recorded and witnessed the vandalism is a friend of the person who did it. He later goes on on several websites supporting the vandalism and how no one has noticed or taken note of Picasso's art prior to this defacing.

I'll just say that if I'm awake past 3AM I research into people, and well.. It helps my case some of the times.

Thank you for reading contributed information by someone from the internet.

Side note: This got me very angry when I heard about this so that is why I conducted my search.

How was that guy able to whip out the video so quick? It would probably take me 45 seconds just to get to it. By that time, the perp would have been gone.

Pull out phone, wake it up, punch in the 4 digit code, navigate to the camera icon, remember to switch to video, realize you're a goof because your holding phone vertical instead of horizontal, push record.

By then, the action is over :(

What I found out is currently up for grabs, but the person who did this is local Houston street artist Uriel Landeros. Who has posted freely on his facebook page bragging out this incident. Interestingly enough he uses the proposed bullfighter mock up as a signature, or utilizes it in his art work in someway.

I think the authorities down in Houston know about this, but this is what I was able to pull up in about 20 minutes.

This was about as much as I could find so far, and it seems the person who has recorded and witnessed the vandalism is a friend of the person who did it. He later goes on on several websites supporting the vandalism and how no one has noticed or taken note of Picasso's art prior to this defacing.

I'll just say that if I'm awake past 3AM I research into people, and well.. It helps my case some of the times.

Side note: This got me very angry when I heard about this so that is why I conducted my search.

Added information; original video that lead me on my search found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dhDgxNsLzgM Additional information about the suspected culprit in the video information. Still looking for my notes on where the "witness" admitted he purposely filmed it to get the vandal viral status.

How was that guy able to whip out the video so quick? It would probably take me 45 seconds just to get to it. By that time, the perp would have been gone.

On most phones ive used, you swipe then press the camera icon. Would take about 5 seconds (takes a 3 seconds before it's able to film).

Pull out phone, wake it up, punch in the 4 digit code, navigate to the camera icon, remember to switch to video, realize you're a goof because your holding phone vertical instead of horizontal, push record.

Depends on your phone set-up. I don't password my phones wakeup . Instead i use a program to password select programs and such (also does face unlock) You can't access any videos pictures. System options. Make phone calls (but you can received them with no pass) and so on. Basic the only thing you can access without password is my games. I prefer it this was so my son can play on my phone and i don't need to tell him my password.

Also my old phone had a dedicated camera button. Holding it down launched the camera very quickly.

"No one has noticed or taken note of Picasso's art prior to defacing"

Oh god, if you could physically amass this amount of bullshit in physical form, it could potentially fill this universe.

Nobody respects Picasso? Oh god, fuck, I laughed out loud when I read that. Yeah, that's why his paintings only go for -HUNDREDS- of millions of dollars.

This was pure and simple some fucking retard suffering from extreme unwarranted self importance syndrome who wants people to pay attention to him, be it good attention or bad attention. His art is no good, I've looked at it, and looking at his facebook page its plastered with tons of images of him looking like your regular run-of-the-mill jock retards out there.

Yeah, this was only to get him publicity, and nothing else.

"No one has noticed or taken note of Picasso's art prior to defacing"

Oh god, if you could physically amass this amount of bullshit in physical form, it could potentially fill this universe.

Nobody respects Picasso? Oh god, fuck, I laughed out loud when I read that. Yeah, that's why his paintings only go for -HUNDREDS- of millions of dollars.

This was pure and simple some fucking retard suffering from extreme unwarranted self importance syndrome who wants people to pay attention to him, be it good attention or bad attention. His art is no good, I've looked at it, and looking at his facebook page its plastered with tons of images of him looking like your regular run-of-the-mill jock retards out there.

Yeah, this was only to get him publicity, and nothing else.

I know, he is so obscure there was a constant 1hr queue to get in line for the Picasso showing at the SAM a year or so ago.

Paintings are boring. I'd rather go look at the old gunz and old cars at the American History Museum.

Paintings are boring. I'd rather go look at the old gunz and old cars at the American History Museum.

Depends on the paintings. Some of the older paintings are pretty huge, and seeing them in real life is much better due to the giant scale, and visible detail, etc. But things like this, are small, pretty simple, low detail, so don't really have the same effect.

This reminds me of how last fall we had a wild snow storm here. Nobody for miles had power for close to a week. Not even the grocery stores or traffic lights. The day after the storm I got pulled over and was given a ticket for an expired inspection sticker. Apparently the cops where I live have nothing better to do during a STATE OF EMERGENCY than sit around waiting for people that they can hand out citations to for crimes which are less than petty. There were two cops in that car! I bet they were warm in there. Forget about everyone else who didn't have any heat.

Depends on the paintings. Some of the older paintings are pretty huge, and seeing them in real life is much better due to the giant scale, and visible detail, etc. But things like this, are small, pretty simple, low detail, so don't really have the same effect.

Art isn't for people who don't appreciate art.

Wow, worlds biggest fucking coward, both the defacer and the cameraman

Why did the guy rip out his cell phone and record it, instead of, you know, TACKLING the fucker and holding him for police? I've physically held shoplifters, public defacers and other idiots under citizens arrest, and this guys first inclination is to pull out a cellphone and tape it, and not STOP the crime?

I'm starting to believe this was staged. I think the cameraman was in on it. Like him running up to the painting, to look at the work, then to look at the plaque to show its authenticity. 100% bet this was staged between the two of them.

Easy there Johnny Gohard. By getting involved as an unpaid security officer you're putting yourself at serious legal and physical risk. Most stores instruct their personnel not to get physical with someone because the chances of getting sued is very high and the legal costs far outweigh the item in most cases.

All it takes is for you to "tackle" the wrong person who isn't actually doing anything illegal and you're hit with lawsuits. Not to mention assault, kidnapping, and unlawful detainment.

Be smart, report it. It's not your job nor problem to do otherwise.

That's why an "instant record" button with NO delay is so cool, I think that's a feature that's either come out recently or is coming out soon on some new phones.

See the post two above yours.

#1 Why get yourself hurt for a painting?
#2 Evidence for court?
#3 For the lolz?

Honestly, defacing a painting is only the museums problem. Tackling a person for that is not worth getting yourself hurt over. Very good chance the guy is not mentally stable.

Art isn't for people who don't appreciate art.

Actually, it's meant for everyone. It's supposed to communicate ideas/emotions etc., so as long as it does that, it doesn't really matter if someone appreciates it or not. Only fairly recently has the art schoolish "challenging" (99.9% of the time, samey and boring) stuff appeared with vague/hidden meaning meant only for people who "get it". :p

#1 Why get yourself hurt for a painting?
#2 Evidence for court?
#3 For the lolz?

Honestly, defacing a painting is only the museums problem. Tackling a person for that is not worth getting yourself hurt over. Very good chance the guy is not mentally stable.

Exactly. Who wants to risk their safety to tackle someone when you can get them on camera and let law enforcement take care of it?

Back