No R600 for X-mas :(

Stereophile said:
X1800XT blew chunks ?
It was late but performance wise, it was at least the equal, if not better than a 7800GTX.
its all about time to market
he who comes first often wins
i work for ATI soon to be AMD but i can say that our desktop graphics division is rather slow
The graphics are always better than Nvidia only on the refresh never on the initial coming
with R600 we hope to change that but till it comes out we hope nvidia doesnt beat us to it by coming with a christmas launch

Endurancevm said:
The GX2 is a terrible piece of hodge podge engineering.

"Well OMG, ATi is releasing a single GPU that beats our 7900GTX, what do we do? Oh i know, lets take 2 cards and glue them together! That is a marvelous idea...now where did i put that Elmers.."

You are joking right ?
You must be, because ONE card, with two GPUs, that consumes less power, produces less heat, than all the single GPU high-end cards in the market AND it doubles your performance, is nothing more than a great achievement in engineering.
You can be loyal to whatever brand, I don't really care. But at least give the proper merit to the incredible achievement the GX2 was.

Silus said:
You are joking right ?
You must be, because ONE card, with two GPUs, that consumes less power, produces less heat, than all the single GPU high-end cards in the market AND it doubles your performance, is nothing more than a great achievement in engineering.
You can be loyal to whatever brand, I don't really care. But at least give the proper merit to the incredible achievement the GX2 was.

:rolleyes:

12914.png

x1950_power.gif

x1950_noise.gif

A 5-10fps increase across the board in real world gaming is hardly double the performance. When you consider that the card cannot do AA+HDR and angle independent AF, as well as the card costing $50-100 more, it is hardly an incredible achievement. Nvidia was getting killed in the high end, so they glued two cards together to spit out a few more frames for canned benchmarks. That's it.

chris.c said:
:rolleyes:

12914.png

x1950_power.gif

x1950_noise.gif

A 5-10fps increase across the board in real world gaming is hardly double the performance. When you consider that the card cannot do AA+HDR and angle independent AF, as well as the card costing $50-100 more, it is hardly an incredible achievement. Nvidia was getting killed in the high end, so they glued two cards together to spit out a few more frames for canned benchmarks. That's it.

Canned benchmarks ? Well I could refute that with the "awesome" benchmarks for the X1950 XTX, that ATI provided, but I won't even go there, because you can't believe what any company says about their product, without some third party "help".

It is double the performance. It's exactly two 7900 GTs in SLI or two 7800 GTX 256 MB in SLI. If that's not double, then I don't know what is.

Well, this is getting off topic anyway, so I'm done talking about how good the GX2 is. Too bad that you can't get past your !!!!!!ism to at least admit it's an excellent card.

Both NVIDIA and ATI have excellent products and they deserve the proper respect, if they actually do something to deserve it:

- NVIDIA with the G70 chip, which is still holding on its own, after its debut, more than year ago. The GX2 being its crown achievement.
- ATI with the R580 chip, which already proved to be an excellent performer.

Back on topic, hopefully we'll get some more info on the R600 soon enough. Reliable info that is.
G80's supposed specs are floating around and, of course everyone is taking them with a big grain of salt. No realiable info either.
I'm actually very surprised that nothing and i mean absolutely nothing was confirmed by official sources, on either side.

Soparik2 said:
its all about time to market
he who comes first often wins
i work for ATI soon to be AMD but i can say that our desktop graphics division is rather slow
The graphics are always better than Nvidia only on the refresh never on the initial coming
with R600 we hope to change that but till it comes out we hope nvidia doesnt beat us to it by coming with a christmas launch

I don't think anyone would dispute timing is a critical factor in market share/perception,
but I don't agree with your choice of words. "blew chunks"

Also I think you are over generalizing.
"always better than Nvidia but only on the refresh" ?

So what do you do at ATi ?

Silus said:
You are joking right ?
ill be honest im an ati guy but nvidia seems just as great

but im seeing alot of threads lately on people not getting their gx2 to work properly. so there is a compatability concern.

Stereophile said:
I don't think anyone would dispute timing is a critical factor in market share/perception,
but I don't agree with your choice of words. "blew chunks"

Also I think you are over generalizing.
"always better than Nvidia but only on the refresh" ?

So what do you do at ATi ?
im in the chipset division, i help design the asic's you guys love so much

Soparik2 said:
im in the chipset division, i help design the asic's you guys love so much

Ah so you must be in the know wih R600. :D
My pm box is empty. (hint hint)

psychot|K said:
Not really...
They're Canadian, they can do anything.

haha

You know 700mhz doesn't seem to unobtainable at this point, look at the jumps they've been making with core clock speeds, R300 - R420 - R580, been generous with aprox +150Mhz to the core, and seeing that the R580 core is really capable of going at extremes with volt mods (but damn does it get hot) I wouldn't doubt the R600 capable of doing 750-775'ish on the core

tvdang7 said:
dang vista + new dx10 card isnt looking good for wallets.

QFT :(

psychot|K said:
Not really...
They're Canadian, they can do anything.

oh yes, you know it.

we can do anything, so long as the 20 ft of ice, and -272.9999C outside doenst stop us

with thw g80 specs supposedly announced the battle is getting tightier.

Stereophile said:
Ah so you must be in the know wih R600. :D
My pm box is empty. (hint hint)

Certainly in the know over RD600. I hope they release it to us soon.

What ATI/AMD will do: They will team up to produce graphics and speed that will not be matched when both companies’ products are used together. It really is that simple. Together they can both become an unbeatable duo because they will have collaborated to integrate their systems with one design in thought. On one side of the spectrum, can you imagine if they captured the integrated video board market with the best price and the best graphics at the same time? On the other side, can you imagine graphic boards and main board chips literally flowing together designed as if one unit? Can you imagine an AMD “streaming” computer system that will revolutionize the scientific/medical/industry area. AMD could manufacture all of ATI’s chips with factories that they would normally close down when they open new factories to make faster chips. It is a merger that will benefit everyone not to long from now.

Maybe they'll just say "screw this PCI-Express nonsense" and make a port that plugs the graphics board straight into the HTlink.

Not that it would really do any good or anything...but it would be kinda cool...

Back