No R600 for X-mas :(

baronzemo78

Weaksauce
I know it is only the Inquirer, but
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34373

They claim no R600 this year. This is very, very dissapointing. I am waiting for the R600 for my new computer build.This means ATi is basically giving Nvidia the market if the G80 comes out in October.

Also, equally disturbing
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34382
Mobo, makers claim that there will not be many RD600 boards because makers don't want to "offend" Intel. WTF? I know there is business to consider, but how about offending your customers who might want a really good chipset. This sucks IMHO.

Any HardOCP opinions or confirmations on either of these subjects?

I really want ATi/AMD to do well for the sake of good competition to drive innovation and keep prices reasonable.

The Intquirer has been blasting both the RD600 and G80. They say the G80 is really just a DX9 card with some DX10 thrown in and the RD600 wont have any support from manufactureres.. So basically they are telling you that the next gen cards are somewhere between the Rainbow and Never-Never Land.

on the RD600 yeah it looks like motherboard makers aren't going to be buying many of them, with the AMD buy out, they are concerned about future support and what not, this was first mentioned by Digitimes about a month ago. There will be some floating around in retail, they will be hard to get though.

on the r600, not really delayed it was expected to come out in Dec of this year or Jan of next year. Just that the Inq likes to make something out of nothing ;)

So if DFI does still produce an RD600 mobo and it turns out to be great, should I worry about buying it due to lack of support? How much support do you need on a motherboard chipset? Does anyone think there is a chance that other makers might reconsider if they see that the RD600 is a great board?

baronzemo78 said:
This means ATi is basically giving Nvidia the market if the G80 comes out in October.

IF

I really doubt G80 will be available next month.

TheBluePill said:
So basically they are telling you that the next gen cards are somewhere between the Rainbow and Never-Never Land.

Oh man im actually laughing right now, wow people in this computer class are looking at me like im crazy :rolleyes:

I have a heard that AMD will drop ATI from the high end GPU market and probably the Intel chipset market. So while this news may be bad for ATI as a seperate company, it may not bother AMD at all once they take over.

I hope the G80 will be out for Black Friday. I am so looking for new parts that day.

ATI might as well just go out of business. They're a joke that has no interest in competing.

Sorry but I'm getting increasingly frustrated with ATI's stupidity these days.

PRIME1 said:
I have a heard that AMD will drop ATI from the high end GPU market and probably the Intel chipset market. So while this news may be bad for ATI as a seperate company, it may not bother AMD at all once they take over.

The high end dropout sounds like wishful thinking on your part. Link?

Sharky974 said:
ATI might as well just go out of business. They're a joke that has no interest in competing.

How can they make you frustrated? Unless you're gambling stocks, what should you be angry about?

Sharky974 said:

2 to 3 month release after the g80 will hurt ATi but not kill them, specially if they have a competitive or faster product. Yes I agree being late with thier dx10 offering isn't good but still we don't know what the g80 or the r600 will offer in terms of performance its a bit premature to say ATi is out. Just a bit of bad luck on timing thats all.

AMD won't drop ATi's top end, its not in their nature, they know gamers buy their products, they will stick with what they can and have until something forces them to shift priorities.

baronzemo78 said:
So if DFI does still produce an RD600 mobo and it turns out to be great, should I worry about buying it due to lack of support? How much support do you need on a motherboard chipset? Does anyone think there is a chance that other makers might reconsider if they see that the RD600 is a great board?

I have no clue, aslong as the warrenty is good, its all good for me ;).

I love how people form opinions on a companies future based on one video cards success.

mashie said:
Lol, so in other words ATI/AMD will keep on doing highend graphics as always.

Crap, you beat me to it!

I was sorta looking forward to a RD600/2xR600/Conroe type of Christmas :(

Sharky974 said:

u retarded? i think the x1900 card is great. ill agree x1800 was late however but what else is bad? unavailable x850's? id rather have late stuff than being unhappy with an FX line.

any way wouldnt it make sense to have dx10 after or around vista?

The X1800s came in later but they were a better card than the 7800s. I would rather have it late and have a better card.

Also, this goes exactly against the other rumors which said that ATi is planning to release the R600 by Oct. I say dont believe anything until its a statement.

In the mac world everybody was saying how the "iPhone" was going to be introduced at the sept. 12 "Its Showtime" meet. Everybody was so sure and all...but it never happened, and this is the same scenario.

Sharky974 said:

I hope ATI never goes out of business... That means we have to pay high prices for video cards... Throwing all our money to Nvdia cards..

I love ATI and the quality looking graphics they produce... From textures looking sharp to their excellent Aniso filtering and their cards always last longer than Nvidia's cards...

Just look at Radeon 9700 or 850xt... 850xt is still spitting frames after 2 years of release...

R600 hopefully can top Nvidia's rumored 384 bit memory controller... Probably wants to see what Nvidia is packing first and just drop a bomb on them...

Marvelous said:
Probably wants to see what Nvidia is packing first and just drop a bomb on them...

My thoughts exactly. Don't forget just where this "information" is coming from.....The ever trustful Inq.

Endurancevm said:
The X1800s came in later but they were a better card than the 7800s. I would rather have it late and have a better card.

Also, this goes exactly against the other rumors which said that ATi is planning to release the R600 by Oct. I say dont believe anything until its a statement.

In the mac world everybody was saying how the "iPhone" was going to be introduced at the sept. 12 "Its Showtime" meet. Everybody was so sure and all...but it never happened, and this is the same scenario.

The X1800 came out late because ATI had a few problems with the production of the chip.

Anyway, all this is speculation, either on the R600 or on the G80 front . We have lots of rumors flying around, but nothing was ever really confirmed by official sources, so let's all take these news with a grain of salt.

where was the october rumor for the r600? ATi has never even given any hint of speculation dates on the r600 other then late this year early next which points to dec. Jan. The r600 was November at the earliest (nV stated they have a 6 week lead on ATi) and the rumors of nV release of the g80 were Sept, Oct)

R600 hopefully can top Nvidia's rumored 384 bit memory controller... Probably wants to see what Nvidia is packing first and just drop a bomb on them...

Nobody is going to be dropping a bombshell, performance will be close, IMOH its going to depend on programming more then the actually GPU's this time.

I'm pretty sure if the r600 was going to be out in October we would already have leaked benchmarks.

Yea but we all new that ATI was behind NV with their next gen parts. With NV delay this only seems to shift the window down abit...

There is more FUD in this thread than a White House press report :rolleyes:

1) AMD\ATi will continue building industry leading high end video cards. Why? BECAUSE THEY GOD DAMN SAID SO A MILLION TIMES :eek:

2) The RD600 will still be released for the AM2 platforms. DFI will still be making the board for Intel folk. This whole schamozzle is more to do with Intel bullying then AMD just dropping. Secondly support will still be available because like I said earlier RD600 for AM2 will still be around for a long time yet.

3) The R600 is not late, it's expected to be released in early 2007. Hence why ATi just released a refresh (X1950).

4) Nvidia may be out to market first but then again it's not hard to take a DX9 card and throw in some basic DX10 garbage and ship it out the door. Where as ATi will AGAIN be the industry leader releasing the R600 as a unified architecture part that does DX10 right, all the while still giving us better IQ.

5) If AMD\ATi Crossfire boards end up only catering to AMD processors, you have only one company to blame...Intel. Because sure as hell AMD wants to sell chipsets to everybody.

razor1 said:
Nobody is going to be dropping a bombshell, performance will be close, IMOH its going to depend on programming more then the actually GPU's this time.

Memory will be the only thing that will be holding the full potential of these chips.... We are likely to see 32 pixel pipes or more but still on 256bit memory controllers and minor memory speed increase... If Nvidia pulls a hat out of the bag and come up with 384 bit than it will definitely be faster than rumored 256bit memory on R600...

If you're talking about shaders.. I have to disagree with you...

|CR|Constantine said:
4) Nvidia may be out to market first but then again it's not hard to take a DX9 card and throw in some basic DX10 garbage and ship it out the door. Where as ATi will AGAIN be the industry leader releasing the R600 as a unified architecture part that does DX10 right, all the while still giving us better IQ.

Funny how you talk about FUD in this thread, but you yourself say something like this. I know this is the ATI board, but don't show your !!!!!!ism so blatantly.

Marvelous said:
Memory will be the only thing that will be holding the full potential of these chips.... We are likely to see 32 pixel pipes or more but still on 256bit memory controllers and minor memory speed increase... If Nvidia pulls a hat out of the bag and come up with 384 bit than it will definitely be faster than rumored 256bit memory on R600...

If you're talking about shaders.. I have to disagree with you...

Nah right now I'm assuming the extra bandwidth, rumored 128 extra, is going to be dedicated to TMU and ALU access since they are going to be some kind of hybrid/unified component. Still nothing concrete on nV's pipes, can't even guess on them right now, because the pipes will definitly more multithreaded similiar to what ATi has right now, but to what types of calucalations and what amount is the question. Since the TMU's will be decoupled in this approach, the ALU's in the texture pipelines will be completely free just like ATi's ALU's but nV's ALU if they don't change from what we have now will be able to do more MADD calculations (48 per cycle) vs. ATi's ADD or MADD (48 per cycle scaler and vector) capabilities, so shader performance will be dependent more on what shaders are being written

TheBluePill said:
The Intquirer has been blasting both the RD600 and G80. They say the G80 is really just a DX9 card with some DX10 thrown in and the RD600 wont have any support from manufactureres.. So basically they are telling you that the next gen cards are somewhere between the Rainbow and Never-Never Land.

Not sure if you realize this but RD600 is a motherboard chipset. R600 is the next gen GPU from ATI. Nowhere has it said that R600 will be lacking manufacturer support, so don't worry about that. From what the inquirer has been saying, the R600 will be a beast of a card.

Adrian

razor1 said:
Nah right now I'm assuming the extra bandwidth, rumored 128 extra, is going to be dedicated to TMU and ALU access since they are going to be some kind of hybrid/unified component. Still nothing concrete on nV's pipes, can't even guess on them right now, because the pipes will definitly more multithreaded similiar to what ATi has right now, but to what types of calucalations and what amount is the question. Since the TMU's will be decoupled in this approach, the ALU's in the texture pipelines will be completely free just like ATi's ALU's but nV's ALU if they don't change from what we have now will be able to do more MADD calculations (48 per cycle) vs. ATi's ADD or MADD (48 per cycle scaler and vector) capabilities, so shader performance will be dependent more on what shaders are being written

All rumors and yeah nothing concrete... But I think the extra bandwidth will help G80 in retrospect to their unified shaders even if its only extra 128 extra... It would really depend on what type of game really... I don't see shader dependent games as sole priority right now... Maybe 2 or 3 generations after the R600 is out...

Marvelous said:
All rumors and yeah nothing concrete... But I think the extra bandwidth will help G80 in retrospect to their unified shaders even if its only extra 128 extra... It would really depend on what type of game really... I don't see shader dependent games as sole priority right now... Maybe 2 or 3 generations after the R600 is out...

True, I feel the same way, but if that extra 128 bit isn't used for anything but the TMU's and ROP's, (I'm not 100% sure on how they are set up, but just looking at the patents, it seems like it has to be dedicated to them, otherwise when the TMU's are in use the ROP's wil get locked out), its going to be one close call on performance.

I'll just wait for the official word from ATI on this one. My build is going to be RD600 + 2 R600 Cards + Conroe regardless of when they come out. I am getting tired of waiting though, but fortunately my bank account is keeping me at bay. :p I'm not the kinda person that can buy "tide-you-over" components until the real deal comes out in a few months.. I gotta do it all at once because I simply cant afford extra parts. :rolleyes:

I still cant believe DFI is the only company that will be releasing RD600 for 775 chipsets.. that just doesn't make any sense with the publicity conroe is getting. You'd think ATI would want a piece of that market.

I would not be surprised if Intel was squeezing mobo makes on the RD600.

You build boards with the ATi chipset and Intel wil have "supply issues" They're been known for strongarm tactics over the years, why would today be any different? AMD is their chief competitor in the retail/consumer CPU space.

razor1 said:
True, I feel the same way, but if that extra 128 bit isn't used for anything but the TMU's and ROP's, (I'm not 100% sure on how they are set up, but just looking at the patents, it seems like it has to be dedicated to them, otherwise when the TMU's are in use the ROP's wil get locked out), its going to be one close call on performance.

That's the thing we don't know that yet... :confused:

Anything is better than nothing I suppose...

R600 looks to be not much faster than current crop of cards... I'm estimating it will be fast as 7950... But we'll see... ;)

Sharky974 said:

:rolleyes:

ATI is about to become a "division" of AMD. So there is no going out of buisness. Even though I do think ATI may drop out of the high end GPU market, I would hate to see that happen. Competition is the reason we get a new generation of cards every 18 months and price drops every 3 months.

OMFG! ATI is pwnd due to late release, G80 gonna Roxorz!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, regardless of who is released first, it will have less of an impact this time arround than in the past. The most significant reason is that the non-hardcore less informed (which is not us) will most likely purchase their card arround the same time they purchase Vista. Major product forcasts for computer sales this Christmas is significantly down do to the delay of Vista, hence the industries angst against MS at this point in time.

When Vista ships, hardware purchasers that have held off for it's release will then be pruchasing their GPU. This will provide plenty of time for both ATI and nVIDIA.

Secretly I suspect the following. ATI and nVIDIA, wishing to maximize sales of their latest current gen products and thus profit from that product lines R&D, will find ways to state delays on the R600 and G80 artificially encouraging purchase of older gen. Then walla, release them at about the same time and garner additional revenue as card purchasees from the last couple months decide to pony up more $ just to get DX10 support.

Why release it earlier when you can squeeze all of the [H] enthusiasts all over again closer to the Vista release?

HighTest said:
Why release it earlier when you can squeeze all of the [H] enthusiasts all over again closer to the Vista release?

dang vista + new dx10 card isnt looking good for wallets.

Back