No Post GPU Fan Not Spinning on New Build

jfnirvana292

[H]ard|Gawd
New build(specs below). Psu and all fans turn on except the one on the gpu. There is no post. I unplugged ram. New gpu. Not sure what else to try. Any suggestions?

gigabyte B450 I Aorus pro WiFi mini itx
Ryzen 5600x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 0
Ok yes it is. So to rule out other issues, pull the gpu, and run just one stick of ram. Unplug all unnecessary drives. If you don’t have a spare gpu, you can at least see if it stays on and goes through post. If it does, you can start to narrow down that may be the issue.

Ok yes it is. So to rule out other issues, pull the gpu, and run just one stick of ram. Unplug all unnecessary drives. If you don’t have a spare gpu, you can at least see if it stays on and goes through post. If it does, you can start to narrow down that may be the issue.
I tried two gpus. Moved ram sticks and now tried with just one. The fan doesn’t spin on either gpu.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 0
Doesn't make it to init gpu apparently. No post code LED or speaker doesn't help either. Try remove and reseat CPU and a bit less clamping pressure on the block. Also inspect for missing bent pins.

Doesn't make it to init gpu apparently. No post code LED or speaker doesn't help either. Try remove and reseat CPU and a bit less clamping pressure on the block. Also inspect for missing bent pins.
Reseated. No bent pins. Less pressure. Same issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Old. The newest is a Radeon r7 360.
look up the models on tpu and see if they are legacy or uefi. im thinking they are legacy only...
you could try clearing the bios to see if it flips to legacy when it retrains the next time you fire it up.

look up the models on tpu and see if they are legacy or uefi. im thinking they are legacy only...

how do I check this
A lot of new motherboards have an onboard speaker. For those that don't, you can buy one that plugs into the motherboard for probably less than $2.
I have a little speaker laying around that I’ll rig up and connect to the motherboard. I’ll report back soon.

thats not the model number, thats just the type of gpu. get it off the sticker on the card.
1625802977703.png

the regular TPU specification database doesn't have that info, the place for that is the TPU VBIOS database

I checked and they don't have your specific card listed, but they do have R7 360 from other brands, as well as Gigabyte 260(X)with similar part # to yours and all of those cards list UEFI support.

Radeon 360 should be new enough to support UEFI. I'm pretty sure I remember using UEFI boot on an FX + R9 290X system back in 2014-2015 and last summer I briefly had a zBook that was definitely UEFI with a M260X 🤔

Still a good idea to try a newer GPU if possible (borrow one from a pal?) since something might have changed with newest Ryzen that broke compatibility? Or some settings in BIOS need to be changed.

the regular TPU specification database doesn't have that info, the place for that is the TPU VBIOS database

I checked and they don't have your specific card listed, but they do have R7 360 from other brands, as well as Gigabyte 260(X)with similar part # to yours and all of those cards list UEFI support.

Radeon 360 should be new enough to support UEFI. I'm pretty sure I remember using UEFI boot on an FX + R9 290X system back in 2014-2015 and last summer I briefly had a zBook that was definitely UEFI with a M260X 🤔

Still a good idea to try a newer GPU if possible (borrow one from a pal?) since something might have changed with newest Ryzen that broke compatibility? Or some settings in BIOS need to be changed.
Thanks I’ll have to buy one. If I could only find a decent card at msrp 😬.

wondering also if the bios would need to be updated for the 5600x. Not sure.

Does it have flashback like the ASUS boards? Look in the manual.
It has something called q flash. It looks like it’s a GUI utility to flash the bios.

maybe I need to order like a athlon 200ge just to get the darn thing flashed.

yeah, youll need a chip to flash it. does the mobo box have any "5000 series support" stickers or markings?

Manufacture date appears to be 2101 so first week of 2021. The bios version with 5000 support is F60 as mentioned above, which was released in March. So this is most likely is the issue...

You could always try a boot kit from AMD : https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100 or maybe setup a post in fsft forum to borrow a chip, or maybe find a athlon 200ge or something really cheap.
I just ordered a 200ge and will toss it up forsale after I update the bios. I’ll post in here in a week or so after I get it fixed(hopefully)! Thanks everyone.

So the Athlon processor finally came today after 3 weeks on the slow boat from china. Put it in, it fired right up and I was able to update the bios. Put the 5600x back in and was up and running. Thanks for al the help guys!

Back