No One Wants To Test Self-Driving Cars In Canada

HardOCP News

[H] News
It has to be pretty embarrassing to be the first province in Canada to allow the testing of self-driving cars but no one wants to test them. It seems odd that more than seven months have passed and not one single company has signed up. Not a single one. :eek:

Ontario's program to allow testing of self-driving cars on public roads has not received any applications since it launched Jan. 1, the Canadian province's government said on Wednesday, as a recent U.S. accident increased scrutiny of the technology. Ontario, home to nearly all of Canada's auto industry, said last year it would be the first province to allow testing of self-driving cars. Ontario's auto sector has struggled as investment shifted to cheaper jurisdictions, and the government has sought to attract higher paying research and development work.

The last sentence says it all. Our province is in a nosedive right now and any company worth their salt aren't investing here.

With the state of our roads in Canada I'm not to shocked. Humans have a hard time knowing where lanes are, never mind avoiding 1001 pot holes and a mishmash of contradictory rules from one piece of road to the next. I wouldn't trust any of the early AIs to not mess it up badly, wouldn't be investing my money the AI is going to have to get a lot better to be able to handle Canadian roads in a safe way.

What if they build a self-driving car and nobody wants it? One question is whether it can be done. It's another question whether anybody will buy it...

Because the car in autopilot wont be polite enough to be practical there.

The last sentence says it all. Our province is in a nosedive right now and any company worth their salt aren't investing here.

Due to a monstrously corrupt government.

What's most amazing is that our economy continues to grow at a snails pace with these disgusting creatures in charge. No party should be in charge for more than one term, too much time for them to work on pet projects and sleazy agendas. The longer these wretches are in place the worse they get.

Politicians are like diapers, use them once and throw them away. They only get shittier over time.

With the state of our roads in Canada I'm not to shocked. Humans have a hard time knowing where lanes are, never mind avoiding 1001 pot holes and a mishmash of contradictory rules from one piece of road to the next. I wouldn't trust any of the early AIs to not mess it up badly, wouldn't be investing my money the AI is going to have to get a lot better to be able to handle Canadian roads in a safe way.

This. The winters up here tear up the roads and highways real good. Even with a variety of sensors to detect potholes, the poor Carbot would think you've taken it off-roading; likely flash a warning and refuse to drive itself anymore.

Reactions: ChadD
like this

You have Wynne and McGuinty to thank for that. Power at $0.19/kwh due to their stupidity mismanaging the grid makes it incredibly difficult to operate a factory here. But that's ok, the public sector unions got a big payout, so everyone's happy.

Due to a monstrously corrupt government.

I honestly want to know how a party, with multiple active police investigations against them, driving the debt to the stratosphere, ends up getting a majority government. The number of people in this province who vote against their own interests is stunning.

I honestly want to know how a party, with multiple active police investigations against them, driving the debt to the stratosphere, ends up getting a majority government. The number of people in this province who vote against their own interests is stunning.

The PCs ran on the Republican style "We hate Ontario and all of the Ontarians in it" platform. If they had just used their brains, even a little bit, we would have been rid of this shit show. Every single vote the Liberal party got was a silent approval of a ridiculous collection of pet projects and self-serving photo-op legislators.

If the PCs had looked south and just said "Hey look, the American right is so far off the rails they can't win without cheating. We shouldn't do that, that's not working." Instead they decided that would be an awesome way to go, they hoped that people would have enough jealousy and hatred for the civil service that they could ride that wave into office. Canadians are very difficult to unite in hatred, we aren't wired that way. They needed to get back to the centre, instead they hopped out to crazy town in the right, they snapped defeat from the jaws of victory, they found a way to lose a race against a party dragging a battle-ship of baggage. They get almost as much blame as the scum running the Liberal party, but they've cleaned house, and here's hoping that in the next election we can get the real PC party to show up. I think they will.

The PCs ran on the Republican style "We hate Ontario and all of the Ontarians in it" platform. If they had just used their brains, even a little bit, we would have been rid of this shit show. Every single vote the Liberal party got was a silent approval of a ridiculous collection of pet projects and self-serving photo-op legislators.

If the PCs had looked south and just said "Hey look, the American right is so far off the rails they can't win without cheating. We shouldn't do that, that's not working." Instead they decided that would be an awesome way to go, they hoped that people would have enough jealousy and hatred for the civil service that they could ride that wave into office. Canadians are very difficult to unite in hatred, we aren't wired that way. They needed to get back to the centre, instead they hopped out to crazy town in the right, they snapped defeat from the jaws of victory, they found a way to lose a race against a party dragging a battle-ship of baggage. They get almost as much blame as the scum running the Liberal party, but they've cleaned house, and here's hoping that in the next election we can get the real PC party to show up. I think they will.

This. Exactly. I wanted to vote PC, but Hudak was too much of a raving right wing loon. To this day I don't have any idea how they thought he would be a good candidate.

Fingers crossed that they put forward an actual human person next time.

The problem is most voters are clueless about what the people they vote for are doing.

I said this for Brexit and will say this here.

An IQ test needs to be mandatory before your allowed to vote.

I always assumed our northerly friends were always just a little bit smarter than us. This would reinforce that concept. Self driving cars are still a long way off. It might be a lot more feasible if the street I drive down in Houston is designed the same way as one in Detroit. So many things that need to be standard before self driving cars go anywhere but into a wall.

You have Wynne and McGuinty to thank for that. Power at $0.19/kwh due to their stupidity mismanaging the grid makes it incredibly difficult to operate a factory here. But that's ok, the public sector unions got a big payout, so everyone's happy.

The funniest thing about that is that it's not that we don't have enough power, it's that we have too much and have to PAY Michigan to take it.

P.S. the PC party is just as corrupt as the Liberal. I don't think there is a provincial party in Ontario that isn't. But, it would be good to switch it up right now so they don't think they can get away with anything (like Wynne currently does).

This. Exactly. I wanted to vote PC, but Hudak was too much of a raving right wing loon. To this day I don't have any idea how they thought he would be a good candidate.

Fingers crossed that they put forward an actual human person next time.

This so much. An inanimate carbon rod would have had a better shot. Another problem is that Toronto (otherwise known as the center of the universe) has the most MPs and very liberal base. As you would expect with such a large multicultural population who actually do a good job of living together, that small 'l' translates readily to big "L" Liberal. Which makes the strategy the Conservatives chose look as insane as it was. Ontario voters are mostly centrists who vacillate over fiscal policy. This is why we usually have minority governments, which means we can usually get policies that represent 2/3rds of the population's interests (1/3 Con, 1/3 Lib, 1/3 NDP isn't far off the usual results, which makes horsetrading a daily event in the legislature.) The last election had the unfortunate congruence of Looney Tunes conservatism in Toronto City Hall fresh in everyone's mind (along with the provincial party's attempt to play off it) and the Federal Conservatives (Reform party in sheep's clothing) irritating everyone at large. Add in some sneaky politics by the Provincial Liberals and our net result was that enough swing voters bumped the Liberal's usual third up enough to form a majority.

Results: Ontario general election, 2014 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very small margins made all the difference. 2018 is going to be very interesting.

The right can't win without cheating? That's really funny. How come the democrats are so opposed to requiring people to show ID to vote? Because they will not be able to bus democrats to multiple voting precincts...

The right can't win without cheating? That's really funny. How come the democrats are so opposed to requiring people to show ID to vote? Because they will not be able to bus democrats to multiple voting precincts...
According to Oppose Voter ID Legislation - Fact Sheet :

VOTER ID REQUIREMENTS ARE A SOLUTION IN SEARCH OF A PROBLEM

• There is no credible evidence that in-person impersonation voter fraud -- the only type of fraud that photo IDs could prevent – is even a minor problem.
  • Proponents of voter ID laws have failed to demonstrate that individual, in -person voter fraud is even a minor problem anywhere in the country.
  • Multiple studies have found that almost all cases of in-person impersonation voter “fraud” are the result of a voter making an honest mistake, and that even these mistakes are extremely infrequent.
  • It is important, instead, to focus on both expanding the franchise and ending practices which actually threaten the integrity of the elections, such as improper purges of voters, voter harassment, and distribution of false information about when and where to vote. None of these issues, however, are addressed or can be resolved with a photo ID requirement.

Actually, the real reason no one wants to test drive self-driving cars in Ontario are the insane car insurance rates. The average was $1,544.86 in 2012 (which is the most recent number I could find quickly).

P.S. The voter ID thing is not a political issue in Canada because we've required photo ID for years.

I always assumed our northerly friends were always just a little bit smarter than us. This would reinforce that concept. Self driving cars are still a long way off. It might be a lot more feasible if the street I drive down in Houston is designed the same way as one in Detroit. So many things that need to be standard before self driving cars go anywhere but into a wall.

Except this report isn't saying that Canadians don't want to test self driving cars. The report is saying that the self driving car makers don't want to test their cars in Canada. So it really isn't saying anything about Canada except that it apparently is not an attractive place to invest in for this kind of future technology.

I hope I said that in the least offensive manner possible as I intend no sleight on our northern neighbors.

Except this report isn't saying that Canadians don't want to test self driving cars. The report is saying that the self driving car makers don't want to test their cars in Canada. So it really isn't saying anything about Canada except that it apparently is not an attractive place to invest in for this kind of future technology.

I hope I said that in the least offensive manner possible as I intend no sleight on our northern neighbors.

HEY! FUCK YOU, MAN!

;)

• There is no credible evidence that in-person impersonation voter fraud -- the only type of fraud that photo IDs could prevent – is even a minor problem.
  • Proponents of voter ID laws have failed to demonstrate that individual, in -person voter fraud is even a minor problem anywhere in the country.
  • Multiple studies have found that almost all cases of in-person impersonation voter “fraud” are the result of a voter making an honest mistake, and that even these mistakes are extremely infrequent.
  • It is important, instead, to focus on both expanding the franchise and ending practices which actually threaten the integrity of the elections, such as improper purges of voters, voter harassment, and distribution of false information about when and where to vote. None of these issues, however, are addressed or can be resolved with a photo ID requirement.

Except, the law says you must be a US citizen in order to vote and we make no valid attempt to ensure that this is in fact being enforced. And besides, how would you gather credible evidence that there is a problem anyway? If you can't validate citizenship then you can't measure the scale of the problem or even identify a problem exists.

It's like saying there is no evidence that patients who visit our hospital frequently have a fever if we don't check their temperature when they arrive.

And who the fuck looks for unbiased information from a source that advertises their bias in the name of their fact sheet?

There's just no shame left in the world :sick:

This is a document that is in place to help people who have already made up their minds on an issue by providing them a ready source of answers that fit the views they have already accepted and believe true.

The major car makers test their cars in Alaska. Why do they need Canada when they already have Alaska?

Except, the law says you must be a US citizen in order to vote and we make no valid attempt to ensure that this is in fact being enforced. And besides, how would you gather credible evidence that there is a problem anyway? If you can't validate citizenship then you can't measure the scale of the problem or even identify a problem exists.

It's like saying there is no evidence that patients who visit our hospital frequently have a fever if we don't check their temperature when they arrive.

And who the fuck looks for unbiased information from a source that advertises their bias in the name of their fact sheet?

This is a document that is in place to help people who have already made up their minds on an issue by providing them a ready source of answers that fit the views they have already accepted and believe true.

Hilariously enough, we'll accept power bills in place of photo ID.

What's most amazing is that our economy continues to grow at a snails pace with these disgusting creatures in charge. No party should be in charge for more than one term, too much time for them to work on pet projects and sleazy agendas. The longer these wretches are in place the worse they get.

Politicians are like diapers, use them once and throw them away. They only get shittier over time.
They work for the same donors, nothing will change. The reason the Republican Establishment went ape-shit over Trump and still are in ape-shit denial is because Trump is the only candidate out of Democrats and Republicans that might threaten the TPP which is probably the most important impactive item in decades that nobody knows about being stealthed in without the constitutionally required debate. They can't bring themselves to say it because it would be too obvious but they want to tell everyone to support Hillary because they want to ensure the TPP goes forward. Democrats/Republicans is essentially opposition theater. Nothing changes but the headlines and outrage du jour. While the same shit plods along underneath.

I'll be going there in a couple weeks. Thanks for the comforting statements regarding your roads! lol

Reactions: ChadD
like this

That price is only during high demand period. Basically when most are at work or school. After 7pm it drops to $0.08/kWh till 7am.

The problem is most voters are clueless about what the people they vote for are doing.

I said this for Brexit and will say this here.

An IQ test needs to be mandatory before your allowed to vote.
A few problems with your master plan.

First you would not be granted access to google or wikipedia during such an exam. Most people who were pro-brexit were older, some a lot older. People by virtue of age have amassed more trivia in their heads. Also people mostly from a time where you actually had to know shit in your head to pass a test and they had to acquire said shit without the internet and commit it to memory.

And finially it the pinnacle of immaturity to actually believe people who disagree with you are 'poopy heads'.

That price is only during high demand period. Basically when most are at work or school. After 7pm it drops to $0.08/kWh till 7am.
That's not true by a wide margin. it's the PFC that costs the most and even with capacitor banks it's still very expensive.

If you are posting this to be sarcastic than I apologize for thinking your are a mindless drone parroting liberal dogma like a good little sycophant. People who actually believe this to be true really think the emperor's new clothes are awesome...

Where I vote, my name is already on a list at my designated polling station. I'm not sure how you can scam your way around that, though I'm not sure who maintains that list.

If you are posting this to be sarcastic than I apologize for thinking your are a mindless drone parroting liberal dogma like a good little sycophant. People who actually believe this to be true really think the emperor's new clothes are awesome...
I'm just throwing it out there. Also note that we should all be aware and think for ourselves. There can be mindless drone parroting in every group.

And with Turdeau in power federally and Notley's Crue in power here in Alberta, in a few years the rest of the country will be enjoying the wonderful benefits of a socialist government that Ontario is currently enjoying.

Maybe then the young idealists out East (and indeed across the country) who subscribe unreservedly to hard-core socialist beliefs and who have enjoyed prosperity for years will begin to realize that socialism doesn't work. This realization likely won't be until after they lose their job and are getting their sustenence out of a can huddled for warmth at a shelter because they can't afford to live in the socialist paradise that they've created for themselves.

Where I vote, my name is already on a list at my designated polling station. I'm not sure how you can scam your way around that, though I'm not sure who maintains that list.

Similar to mine, but I get registered to vote when I renew my drivers license or register my car or something,, I forget which. But my drivers license doesn't require I prove citizenship, only state residency.

lol the RCMP has probably paid them off they generate too much revenue from moron drivers :)
Ontario isn't policed by the RCMP except for certain Criminal Code sections. The Ontario Provincial Police and local municipal police perform all traffic enforcement in the province.

Back