No multi-screen or serious VR reviews for the GPU sold as the new multi-monitor King?

What aspect of the NVIDIA GPU release do you want to see critically reviewed next?

• Total voters

The Internal

Limp Gawd
After watching the live NVIDIA 1080 product announcement, because I am a nerd, I was really stoked about the potential the new cards could have for multi-monitor and VR gaming. Heck, a good chunk of thier presentation was pretty much, "Hey nerds, this shit with perspective distortion on multi monitor setups sucks, right? Well, it only took us a decade or so to get around to it, but HEY!!! This card fixes that and handles VR awesomely to boot! Woo! Perspective optimizations! VR! More perspective optimization stuff! Multiple monitors! VR with sound! Jokes lobbed at the guy messing up while doing the graphics demo! PERSPEEEECTIIIIIIIIVVVVVEEEEEEOMGWTFBBQLOL! Etc. Etc." for like half an hour.
So, I was super disappointed to see zip zero zilch of any real world testing, benchmarks, or anything out on the net other than rehashing the marketing hype as opposed to seeing if it actually works or explaining if there are / are not available tools to enable perspective correction in current titles and how easy it will or will not be to implement.
I'm seriously thinking of doing a VR rig and/or multiple QHD screens to replace my aged two way GeForce 670 SLI setup. (No SLI reviews anywhere? Come on, Internet... You're letting me down!) and the live stream really made it look like pascal is the time to do it.
So, if any of you cool nerds at HardOCP wanna address that, that'd be solid. I'm hoping I won't have to take the plunge and do it myself (sure, I have journalism experience and would be super thrilled to review the hardware for a very reasonable fee... Alas, my writing sample portfolio is lacking in that niche... But I digress.), but I'm guessing there's a legion of nerds out there wondering the same thing.
Admittedly, I do wonder if there's a sneaky little NVIDIA NDA out regarding multi monitor testing or something like that.
Anywho, just my two cents. Have a great week!

I'm also disappointed to find a lack of testing in multi-monitor setups. It could be that it's not yet implemented in drivers, but it would be nice to know regardless. Stock performance of the 1080 is not significantly faster than my 980ti hybrid, but that feature alone sold me on upgrading, if it works (well).

The best we can hope for is some nVidia demo. Game engines must be written with SMP in mind before we see it in action.

That's the problem with this new card and its new enhanced 'feature set'. It relies on devs to support these new whizz bang features and we all know how well devs have been supporting things like SLI, 3D, surround, etc in the latest games for the past year - piss poor. That's why this card has very little value for me at anything beyond $550 because it doesn't currently offer anything over the 980ti besides a few more fps and probably won't for at least a year at best. IMO it is a superclocked 980ti for a superclocked $700 price.

Surround and Eyefinity are dead. Long live 4K.

I think with multi-projection we might see a resurgence of Surround gaming.
I would suggest that never was that big an issue to begin with. Bezels were the barrier to entry for most, not a little bit of fisheye. Surround is dead.

I will never give up my surround setup. The bezels and fisheye never bothered me anyway. The FOV support from devs is all they really need to support to make me happy. I can't see making my rift my primary gaming display for anything but sim games and VR specific games. Everything else I will still play in surround. SLI and 3D surround I would venture to say are dead now though. With my rift I no longer care too much about playing in 3D surround anyway.

Though I do agree that 4K will continue to be on the rise, I feel the proliferation of increasingly affordable non-TN 1080 and QHD high hertz gaming panels may leave surround gaming more appealing to folks than you think, Kyle... Unless VR really takes off / replaces surround screen gaming altogether.
That being said, I'm guessing I'm not the only bloke that's been waiting for the tech (and it's price point) to catch up to the idea. Admittedly, I bought two Gigabyte GeForce 670 GTX windstreams GPUs for a two way SLI the day they came out and went with a single QHD panel rather than a three monitor setup I would have preferred (because importing South Korean IPS panels that they used in Macs on the cheap was totally a thing then) and maybe that will happen again with 4K... But with the glut of gaming panels at competitive price points and two way SLI setups that could potentially do three way QHD panels at high FPS? That may be too hard to pass up with the continuing price drops / it actually looking feasible for smooth FPS.
Additionally, with the rise of popularity for multiple monitor configurations in office / general usage scenarios, more folks than ever are having extra monitors slapped on their rigs. With GPU compute and increasing software plug-ins / optimizations expanding beyond media production and programming realms, it also seems feasible that there's at least a stable if not potential growing audience to sell newer and higher end gaming experiences to, even if it's the aging 30 something casuals.
With the continual rise of processing and GPU horsepower, the increasingly commonplace multi monitor configurations, and the overall price for this stuff dropping, I'll be awfully curious to see how things play out.
If I'm totally wrong, I'd be happy to buy you a beer if I ever bump into you. ;p

VR headset and a 32 inch Ultrawide 4K IPS 144Hz GSync would be my ultimate setup. Actually, I'll settle for Ultrawide 1440p 144Hz IPS Gsync :)

VR headset and a 32 inch Ultrawide 4K IPS 144Hz GSync would be my ultimate setup. Actually, I'll settle for Ultrawide 1440p 144Hz IPS Gsync :)

I'm personally waiting for viable 40" - 50" 4K panels before I take the plunge. Already have a 30" Dell 2560 x 1600, and to be honest the 1600p resolution is perfect for that screen size. To take advantage of 4k, imo, 40" is bare minimum.

I have a rift CV1, it's pretty good. But there is still some screen door, and I relate the visuals to be VR's version of low res or standard def atm. I'm really hoping Gen 2 is much better.

Back