No More Outlook.com For Personal Domain - Now What

rosco

Gawd
I had planned on setting up outlook.com for my personal domain. I finally got around to it today and of course they no longer offer that.

So, what new options are there? I don't know how I missed that it was going away, but I sure did.

Are you talking about the paid version of google apps? This is just for a personal domain so not sure it's worth spending a month fee on.

gmail doesn't offer it, and now outlook doesn't offer it either. I have a personal domain with outlook that I created several months ago and it seems as if they will continue to support it for now.

I started looking for a free service or low cost service 2 weeks ago when I noticed outlook would stop the free personal domain email and haven't been able to find anything. For now i'm ok as long as Microsoft keeps supporting outlook but i'm interested as well to see if anyone has suggestions.

For something like email I personally like running my own. Companies keep changing shit on us, can't really rely on anyone these days.

Zoho looks interesting, offers 5 free accounts, good enough for my tiny business.

Also through a quick google search I discovered http://www.crazydomains.com/email-hosting/
It has some really low pricing for email hosting. Anyone have experience with that site?

Can you explain more about running your own email, I would need some sort of hosting to ensure 100% uptime.

If you're looking for a complete solution gandi.net looks very resonable
//Danne

I also preferr my own domain and have some not so expensive hosting for that. IMAP email server. I can easy maintain via web frontend and works well with my iToys and other systems. And not depend on changes done by companies on their free will.

Well, most web hosts include basic email. I used to dislike IMAP but it seems like Outlook does a much better job than it used to working with a IMAP mailbox.

If you start wanting to sync contacts etc though then you are back to needing google apps, or office365, correct?

I'm not sure about hosting my own email. Between the power usage and one more potential headache I'm not sure that approach is for me.

THIS++

I run a Zimbra server in a vm. Works great.
I've been running my zimbra for 2 years now. Works fine for what I need it to but they need to fix the client lol. Why have filters on the client if you can only set them up in the web interface...

On another note if you are wishing to use your domain name on a free service you probably won't want to host your own email.

Copy/Paste from domains.live.com:

Windows Live Admin Center
Changes to custom domains with Outlook.com

Outlook.com no longer offers support for new custom domain sign ups. New customers looking to manage custom domains are encouraged to use Office 365, Microsoft's premium online service, which also includes enterprise-class mail, collaboration and communication tools.

Explore Office 365 subscriptions
If you currently use custom domains with Outlook.com

We will continue to support the ability to log in to Outlook.com with your existing custom domain email address, but in the future, you will no longer be able to add or remove accounts in your domain.

Zoho isn't bad, and if you don't have a Google Apps account from when it was free, then I would suggest hosting your own email using an in home Exchange Server.

Sign up for Office 365. $4/month for an Exchange Account. I am a reseller if you want to go through me.

No way would you host in house for a single user.

:( why would they discontinue it?? that sucks for my company :( we don't want to host our own email since we use windows azure for our main site and it would cost us too much to run that. -_-

If your company can't afford $4/user/month for e-mail then close the doors. I've been doing Exchange for over a decade in both the hosted and on-premises worlds. $4/user is stupid cheap in comparison to what Exchange historically costs, and that's all thanks to Google Apps. Unless you have 100+ employees, there's no way you can get better service for cheaper.

I would strongly urge you not to host on-premises.

It is a right pain to deal with scenarios when you get blacklisted or just general issues...and email is completely business critical these days.

Google Apps, Office 365 are both good options, and VERY cheap. Think about how vital email is to your business. I bet it is worth more than $50/yr when one of the accounts stops working....

I would strongly urge you not to host on-premises.

It is a right pain to deal with scenarios when you get blacklisted or just general issues...and email is completely business critical these days.

Google Apps, Office 365 are both good options, and VERY cheap. Think about how vital email is to your business. I bet it is worth more than $50/yr when one of the accounts stops working....

I can't help but cringe when a new or young company opts to host their own email. It is a commodity service at this point and only foolish, behind-the-times managers are opting for on-premise.

Back