No More DRM From EA!!!

well i sure hope it will be permanent change.
I can live with securom if they remove activation nonsense.

If not I'll be very sad having to wait till ME2 and DAO hit bargain bin :(
But there's no way I pay full price for broken limited use copy which will run out in 6 months considering pace of my upgrades.

well i sure hope it will be permanent change.
I can live with securom if they remove activation nonsense.

If not I'll be very sad having to wait till ME2 and DAO hit bargain bin :(
But there's no way I pay full price for broken limited use copy which will run out in 6 months considering pace of my upgrades.

Or you could buy them off Steam if EA put them there. Outside of Crysis wars, none of EA's Steam games have SecuROM. RA3 had it by mistake, but EA has since removed that.

Or you could buy them off Steam if EA put them there. Outside of Crysis wars, none of EA's Steam games have SecuROM. RA3 had it by mistake, but EA has since removed that.

New boxed EA game in Polish shop = 130 PLN
New steam digital copy at current Euro to PLN exchange ratio = 250 PLN

no thx I'll pass.

In my opinion, a good non-invassive way of stiffling piracy is in the patching process and/or extra online content.

In order to install a patch, you must have the original executable file and not a No-CD executable. I remember in Battlefield 1942, a system was used to prevent multiplayer in which the exe's had to match even if they were the same version, the client's exe had to match the server's exe otherwise the client would not connect.

Another option is to provide some extra online content and features that are attractive and appealing to the customers. In which if they want to access the content, an account must be created with a valid key code. The game itself is still fully playable. I diablo 2, you could single play with no worries, but for muliplayer via tcp/ip and LAN, keys were compared and duplicate keys would not connect. However the game was still vulnerable to hacking and cheating. Battlenet had counter-measures to minimize hacking and cheating and you had to have a unique key.

I also remember an older method called multiplayer spawn. Battlefield 1942 had this too. It allowed a modified installation of the game which had no single or internet play function. It only functioned within a LAN. The cd-key could be used for only one other multiplayer spawn installation. If it detected more that two keys on the LAN, the others would not connect. It worked on a first come first serve basis. btw, the multiplayer spawn required the other CD inorder to play. So basicly you and a friend.

They is no perfect solution, but there are non-invasive ways to decrease piracy

Oh, ouch. Nevermind than. Steam really needs to fix those European prices.

Well West Europe Steam pricing is not that bad (only like 10-15 euro more than online shops) but for east europe where our distributors negotiated lower prices due to weaker local economy with publishers the diffrence is shocking like that :D

Hell even that Farcry 2 50% of promo it was still more expensive on steam after price cut that I can get it from shop :D

Came across an article in PC Gamer. Piracy is rampant for The Sims 3, but sales are almost double that of Spore

Yeah....they recently announced that for C&C4 it will require a constant internet connection, even SP.

Yeah....they recently announced that for C&C4 it will require a constant internet connection, even SP.

Yeah its very much DRM. However, what they are doing is interesting. Its a double-edged sword. They link SP and MP progression together, which is really neat, but they have to have a way to manage to cheating. We all know trainers are a big thing for SP modes on games, but with the way EA has the game set up trainers would destroy the balance (if there is any) of the MP mode. Its too bad they don't have an offline only option for people, like me, that really don't give a crap about online. Then there is the usual problems EA has with their games and the netcode of them, so will those usual issues could affect our ability to play SP.

Came across an article in PC Gamer. Piracy is rampant for The Sims 3, but sales are almost double that of Spore

and salesn is what counts. you cant stop piracy. it will still be their but if you make a good game, u will sell alot. sims 3 will be the biggest selling pc game this year by a long mile.

Spore was a crappy game that's why no one bought it. And it really seems like it would be better suited to the consoles. The Sims is an established franchise.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited:
Spore was a crappy game that's why no one bought it. And it really seems like it would be better suited to the consoles. The Sims is an established franchise.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Spore was an exciting new original franchise. The Sims 3 is just another boring, dreary sequel. ;)

They need a new sim copter, or better yet have a megasim game where they incorprate most of the "sims" franchises into one game, Sim city, The Sims, Sim copter, etc.

They did it so boneheads can play it at work and not alert the IT Guys (my Buddies) right away....

Well I am glad that pirates will have one fewer excuse to justify their ways.

$100 says they will think of a new excuse.

Probably. I've felt the 'urge' to just because I've been bit in the ass by a crappy EA game before. However, run down the street to Blockbuster for the console version, and check out the gameplay for $6. Better than losing $50-$60.

I stopped renting games because they were too expensive. I tried Madden 08 back when it first came out and it was 8 bucks to rent a PS3 game at the local Blockbuster. 8 fucking bucks man. That's insane.

I really hope that companies that get rid of DRM get rewarded. DRM has kept me from some of their stuff. Infact, for me EA was synonymous with DRM in my mind. But now because of this, I hope things blossom for them.

Hopefully the pirates will ease up on the stick now. I'm not a pirating advocate at all... but it's really hard to feel sympathy for companies who use DRM (nasty DRM at least) yet lose money due to piracy.

They do... they really do. It's kind of bad when your DRM methods make MORE people pirate your games

ALL DRM methods cause this, people are generally quite outspoken about this, it's no secret.

Spore was an exciting new original franchise. The Sims 3 is just another boring, dreary sequel. ;)

Spore was a very boring and shallow game built on exciting new technology, but ultimately it's boring and shallow. The sims is an established franchise which is known to make money again and again.

Well I am glad that pirates will have one fewer excuse to justify their ways.

$100 says they will think of a new excuse.

Haha, since when do pirates need to justify their actions?

If someone openly admits to piracy they're not going to lie about why they did it, if somoene says they downloaded a game because they don't like DRM then thats the reason.

Sure some people will still pirate games for other reasons, and those people would have pirated the games irrelevent of DRM, DRM in case people don't know this yet - DOES NOT work.

Some people thats an honest reason and those people will buy the game if the game is worth buying, so thats a plus. Removing restrictive DRM can only have a positive effect, publishers who continue to push the issue will only learn this the hard way.

I could go RAR RAR FIGHT EA AND THEIR DRM, but ultimately I've given up careing about this stupid loop we're all stuck in, everyone who dislikes DRM has a perfectly workable solution already. That means the amount of time it takes them to work out that restrictive DRM doesn't help is completely irrelevent, take your time EA :)

EA is a huge liar! They say no more DRM, but then Command & Conquer 4 is announced and now they are going to require a constant internet connection to play.

LIARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EA is a huge liar! They say no more DRM, but then Command & Conquer 4 is announced and now they are going to require a constant internet connection to play.

LIARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While it does sort of work as an anti-piracy method, the game technically does not use any DRM like SecuROM. EALA's main intention is to prevent cheaters. If the game didn't require an Internet connection, then people could easily modify their stats and consequently screw up the matchmaking system.

it doesnt matter what EA or any PC compant does there will stil be Bootlegs of every game. its 2 hard to stop bootlegger's.

I'm sure I'll run into these issues someday but I use steam for just about everything. No problems with DRM so far. Yes even on Crysis.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of requiring an internet connection each time I want to play a game even in single player mode

In a hypothetical situation, if all my games are that way, that means each time my internet service is down during the weekend, I won't have any games to play. (yes, it does happens several times every year. This year alone I've had a 4 days internet blackout due to "optical cable malfunctioned")

Thankfully Windows don't require me to connect to microsoft server each time I boot up, lol

Not that I have any interest in C&C4, but if this tactic carries over to their other stuff, that's when I will stop buying any of their games. The stupid activations I can put up with, but this? Not so much.

While it does sort of work as an anti-piracy method, the game technically does not use any DRM like SecuROM. EALA's main intention is to prevent cheaters. If the game didn't require an Internet connection, then people could easily modify their stats and consequently screw up the matchmaking system.

There's a single-player matchmaking system? I is confused.

There's a single-player matchmaking system? I is confused.

SP and MP are linked. The experience points gained in one count in the other. All advancement is tied together. So if you say unlock a rank or new troop in SP you will be able to use it in MP matches and vise versa.

It's nice to see EA won't be using DRM's anymore. I know C&C4 you have to be "online" to play even the single player. that doesn't phase me much... Unless internet goes down, and for the rare circumstance that a person doesn't or can't have access to the internet, that's a loss, hopefully they come up with a way to allow singleplayer w/o internet validation

LIARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why the fuck did you bump a 2 month old thread?

Why the fuck did you bump a 2 month old thread?

Because this is directly related to the title of this thread and stick with the subject please.

DRM is not just inconspicuously installing software on a system. It's any feature that can limit the playablitiy of a game. This includes requiring internet connections.

If you are not connected to the internet, your ISP is down, thier servers crash or undergo maintanence or after say, 10 years, the servers are retired. You can no longer play that game. Same apllies to steam and any game requiring online activation. If those servers are gone, you cannot play the game

Because this is directly related to the title of this thread and stick with the subject please.

DRM is not just inconspicuously installing software on a system. It's any feature that can limit the playablitiy of a game. This includes requiring internet connections.

If you are not connected to the internet, your ISP is down, thier servers crash or undergo maintanence or after say, 10 years, the servers are retired. You can no longer play that game. Same apllies to steam and any game requiring online activation. If those servers are gone, you cannot play the game

There is no guarantee the game will work on hardware a decade down the road. People are concerned with this mythical future time-line, but no product is ever guaranteed to work in the future. People didn't bitch about what-ifs with online-only titles like Starsiege: Tribes or UT. They realized that the servers could go down and enjoyed the games. The fact that UT is still up and running is beside the point as well, so don't bring it up.

There is no guarantee the game will work on hardware a decade down the road. People are concerned with this mythical future time-line, but no product is ever guaranteed to work in the future. People didn't bitch about what-ifs with online-only titles like Starsiege: Tribes or UT. They realized that the servers could go down and enjoyed the games. The fact that UT is still up and running is beside the point as well, so don't bring it up.

This is not about online only games. This is about games that have singleplayer modes that do not need an internet connection
Ever heard of virtualization? VMware, Virtual PC, DOSbox? Older games that are even more than 20 years old can be played with the help of these applications.

This is not about online only games. This is about games that have singleplayer modes that do not need an internet connection
Ever heard of virtualization? VMware, Virtual PC, DOSbox? Older games that are even more than 20 years old can be played with the help of these applications.

Wow, talk about missing the bloody point. Online only games fall under the EXACT same argument as made for server based DRM. Servers go down for online only titles, MMOs especially, then they are dead and the games become worthless.

Back