No more clean installs with upgrade media

Yeah this is pissing me off. I am eligible for a Vista upgrade for my laptop and I'm wondering if I even want to bother. I don't want to have to install TWO operating systems to install one.

D'oh.

It only takes 1/2 hour or so to clean install XP on a modern system anyways. It's not like you have to install all your applications and drivers.

Edit: the activation part of the base installation will be the problem for those who often reinstall Windows.

Oddly enough it does not list ultimate. Also, it mentions purchasing an upgrade key.. I wonder if they mean online upgrade versus an upgrade box?

Also, be advised that the copy of XP MUST contain sp2. I just came from MS OEM website, and MS says they are now going to extend support for XP home and that copies of XP are going to be able to be activated as far as 10 years down the road, because of this new requirement. SOOOO IT's either image the drive, or reinstall that good old copy of XP, EVERY time you reinstall Vista:rolleyes:2000 upgrade works a little different Vista sticks it on a seperate petition and DOES do a full install/MAYBE 2000 is the way to go?

Back