No more Antec fans!

Captain Slow

Limp Gawd
I've finally bit the bullet and ordered fans to replace all the Antec ones.

What I've ordered is two Scythe Minebea 120MM, one is highspeed 76cfm to go on the back of the upper HDD cage, and the other is just a low-speed silent model for the PSU and lower HDD cage. The third fan is a Delta 120x38mm Tri-Blade lowspeed, rated for 76cfm at 34db, but it's said to be a overrated slightly for noise.

This morning, I woke up to a highly unpleasant grinding noise coming from the exhaust fan, which is an Antec Tri-Cool. I had to remove the LED strip from a crappy old Thermaltake fan that came with my old case, just to hold me off until the new fans arrive. I was so angry at the Tri-Cool, that I decided to order all-new replacements for the three I have. This Tri-Cool has been pissing me off since I got the case a month ago, I'll be glad to get rid of them. :D

That's too bad you had a bad experience with Antec fans, they're some of the best all-around fans offered. Also, Antec replaces them for free (at least if you got them with a case), so look into that :D.

Not sure why I'd want more Tri-Cools, they're rubbish in my experience. Even if they are free, so are turds. No-one lines up for those..:p

I have a fan controller, so noise won't be an issue, either. Quite frankly, I'll just be happy to see that grinding Antec fan going where it belongs, in the rubbish bin with all the other worthless crap.

That's too bad you had a bad experience with Antec fans, they're some of the best all-around fans offered. Also, Antec replaces them for free (at least if you got them with a case), so look into that :D.

Agreed.

You could throw it dramatically into the ocean.... That would be fun!

Cookie for anyone that knows what show that's from.

Sorry for the off topic.

I took a high CFM fan from the original Sonata case I bought like 4 years ago, still works great. Not sure about the Tri-cools though, obviously not great ;)

I cut the LEDs off of my TriCools for my 900 (blue != pleasant moving watching experience in the dark) and I've got them set on low.

Infact, every fan in my case is either set to low or riding a 7v converter or being controlled by speedfan.

I likely have the most silent Antec 900 case with the exception of one that has no hardware in it :D

Not sure why I'd want more Tri-Cools, they're rubbish in my experience. Even if they are free, so are turds. No-one lines up for those..:p

I have a fan controller, so noise won't be an issue, either. Quite frankly, I'll just be happy to see that grinding Antec fan going where it belongs, in the rubbish bin with all the other worthless crap.

I originally loved my fans in my P180, but after about a year, they started making the same grinding noise ... then out of nowhere, the top 120mm fan literally _fell_ apart, and in doing, it took out a stick of my ram (2GB ECC/REG DDR400 is not cheap ... thank god for corsair and their badass warranty service).

So I've since replaced all the tri-cool fans with noctua 120mm fans (the 1200's) and I'm incredibly happy.

I'm not sure what case you have, but my new fans in my P180 made quite a difference in overall "loudness". I now have 4 120mm fans and at full speed they are quieter than my 3 tri-cools at full speed.

I'm a fan snob. I won't buy any of the cheap fans, due to a few bad experiences I've had in the past. I've also found that Delta and Panaflo (now NMB-MAT) don't degrade over time like cheaper fans do.

Two of the Panaflos in my rig are over two years old, and they still work exactly as they did when I bought them. No differences in noise, at all.

You could throw it dramatically into the ocean.... That would be fun!

Cookie for anyone that knows what show that's from.

Arrested Development, when Gob tries to ditch Michael's letter he was supposed to mail

such a great show :D

I'm a fan snob. I won't buy any of the cheap fans, due to a few bad experiences I've had in the past. I've also found that Delta and Panaflo (now NMB-MAT) don't degrade over time like cheaper fans do.

Two of the Panaflos in my rig are over two years old, and they still work exactly as they did when I bought them. No differences in noise, at all.

Obviously not a big enough fan snob! Yate Loons are some of the highest regarded fans made, high CFM with low noise ALL at a low price... doesn't mean they're cheap. You should take a look.

Arrested Development, when Gob tries to ditch Michael's letter he was supposed to mail

such a great show :D

Cookies all around! And here I was worried no one would get it.

Obviously not a big enough fan snob! Yate Loons are some of the highest regarded fans made, high CFM with low noise ALL at a low price... doesn't mean they're cheap. You should take a look.

The best characterisitic is their insane static pressure...

That they do. They don't even generally ask for the defective unit to be returned.

3 more fans for me! I'm going to try that.

I physically broke a fan and they sent me a new one. I admitted it and everything. All I wanted was the part number to buy another, and they just sent it to me for free anyway.

well, I'm not strong enough to physically break a fan :icon_razz: I just want like 30 fans in my case.
/overstatement

well, I'm not strong enough to physically break a fan :icon_razz: I just want like 30 fans in my case.
/overstatement

It was purely by accident and it wasn't as hard as you might think to do.

I physically broke a fan and they sent me a new one. I admitted it and everything. All I wanted was the part number to buy another, and they just sent it to me for free anyway.

I loved my service with Antec. I broke the fan holding bracket at the bottom of the p182 and all they asked for was a scan of my receipt and they had it shipped to my house within the week!

i'm not using the housing in the lower drive bay/chamber. It's mounted directly to it.

Dan, I'd like to see pix of your p190

I loved my service with Antec. I broke the fan holding bracket at the bottom of the p182 and all they asked for was a scan of my receipt and they had it shipped to my house within the week!

I did the same thing with my bracket in my P180. Except all they asked for was my address. They sent me a bracket and a new fan (which I told them specifically not to include the fan) free of charge, and very quickly. Antec service is A++ in my book. /endEbayReview

As for fans, Yate Loons are great. Same things that Nexus undervolts and rebrands for their low noise fans, at a fraction of the cost.

my stock antec fan that came with the sonata II makes grinding noises once in a while, either runinng at slow or medium speed. Cheap build quality if you ask me, my 9 yr old compaq desktop workstation's exhaust fan is quieter.

i am a system builder and i use only antec cases. i have had dozens of tricools die on me. While antec fans used to be great, these speed adjustible ones really suck. i acutally had one heat up, start melting, seize, spark and then take out the chipset fan and the 5v rail in the power supply.

i would highly suggest staying away from those tricools. just get some good fans. its worth the money.

I read a ton of stuff about fans. A few things that stood out for me.

When adjusted to the same airflow, they are very close in noise level (in the same sizes).

Antec fans only seem to generate a noticeable difference when you have a ultra silent system. At low speed they don't have ideal characteristics.

Fan bearing wear out and fail.

The quietest fans on the market have Sleeve bearings. Sleeve bearings are picky about orientation, intolerant of heat and wear out sooner than ball bearings.

My conclusion: There is no perfect fan. I will buy cheap fans use a fan controller if necessary to make them as quiet as I need and replace them when they get noisy.

Back