No Man’s Sky Wins Legal Battle Over Name With Sky TV

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Hello Games somehow managed to convince Sky TV to let them keep the name. I wonder if this had anything to do with the game’s delay. They did manage to get Microsoft to change the SkyDrive name to OneDrive.

If legal battles where corporations try to prevent anything from sharing even a single word with their name seem ridiculous to you, prepare for a huge eye-roll. It turns out the highly anticipated space exploration game No Man's Sky was in danger of dealing with a last-minute name change. Why? The developer has been engaged in a 3-year legal battle with Sky TV, the UK television broadcaster, which apparently owns the word "sky." Thankfully everything has been settled, and the game's name won't be changing. This is likely a huge relief for developer Hello Games, seeing as how No Man's Sky is scheduled for release on August 9th.

Seriously. If you didn't make the damn word you shouldn't be able to own it. It's insane.

Sue the Beatles too. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. Chicken Little might owe some money too.

wtf how can you own a word? Brb going to go buy the word Mexican because so many restaurants use that in there name

I can see how you can have the word for a specific area of business (e.g. Television network or even multi-media orgainization), but I'm surprised they were able to win with Sky Drive. Does Sky TV even have any meaning outside of the UK?

Welp Sky was enough to force Microsoft to drop SkyDrive in favor of OneDrive, product continuity not sure why Microsoft bothered Why not just leave the UK as OneDrive and the rest of the world SkyDrive given they already acquired the name elsewhere. If I was no man sky deve team I'd look into putting a message into the game about how Sky TV can suck my dick.

Welp Sky was enough to force Microsoft to drop SkyDrive in favor of OneDrive, product continuity not sure why Microsoft bothered Why not just leave the UK as OneDrive and the rest of the world SkyDrive given they already acquired the name elsewhere. If I was no man sky deve team I'd look into putting a message into the game about how Sky TV can suck my dick.

Probably because they feared the Reaper, known as the EU governing body.

1778_600.jpg

I can see how you can have the word for a specific area of business (e.g. Television network or even multi-media orgainization), but I'm surprised they were able to win with Sky Drive. Does Sky TV even have any meaning outside of the UK?

Its owned by Rupert Murdoch who does have a lot of clout outside of the UK. To be honest I don't see a problem with common words being a trademarked in a particular field as long as the word isn't a generic term in that field (like Windows). I dont agree with those trademarks being extended to every unrelated field like some companies seem to try (like Sky, Easy/Orange etc).

Its owned by Rupert Murdoch who does have a lot of clout outside of the UK. To be honest I don't see a problem with common words being a trademarked in a particular field as long as the word isn't a generic term in that field (like Windows). I dont agree with those trademarks being extended to every unrelated field like some companies seem to try (like Sky, Easy/Orange etc).

That is my feeling as well. It would make sense that if another TV channel or Cable Company wanted to use the word 'Sky' that it would be covered under the trademark, but with SkyDrive and No Man's Sky those are completely unrelated, so they are not hurting Sky TV's brand in any way.

Back