No Man's Sky Gets Big Update Including Survival Mode, Base-Building

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The potential redemption of No Man’s Sky is here in the form of the Foundation Update, or more modestly, patch 1.1. A lot has changed, the most significant probably being two new game modes, one of which allows you to “explore the universe without limits, and build a huge base.”

:) yeah, seems like NMS needed to delay release by three or so months.

Edit: the update video for those that are lazy

Wow, as much as I want to shit on this game, this update looks massive .

Wow, as much as I want to shit on this game, this update looks massive .
So the update makes it from 10% of a game to 25% still a case of releasing alpha grade at retail launch then using dlc to fix it... I don't have my copy installed anymore and I don't see myself going back to it any time soon. I wish I had not bought it or had got in on the refund flood... All I have to say is this better not turn into paid dlc until they deliver on the check they wrote on this game...

Waiting to hear from someone who has actually tried it out. Maybe it will spice it up a little.

SLI is broken causing flickering textures. Update otherwise is pretty good so far. I had no problems buying a Freighter, and starting a homebase.

I guess the dev team isn't dead after all. will have to update the game and give it a try at some point this week.

I guess the dev team isn't dead after all. will have to update the game and give it a try at some point this week.

Yeah, if the updates start pouring in this fast, I may actually buy this 'game'.

Still looks like an Early Access borefest or Kickstarter flop. Sony must be shitting their pants.

Out of curiosity, what's the point of building a base if you're feasibly never going to be able to come back to the same planet ever again?

im not a fan of the art design of the game, it's always looked like something that was all place holders or just not well done. This doesn't change my mind about anything, the colors seem random and ugly to look at, this alone is a non-starter for me.

Out of curiosity, what's the point of building a base if you're feasibly never going to be able to come back to the same planet ever again?
anyone who has played the update care to comment on if they mark and make it easier to navigate back to known systems?... The video looked like it gave you 3 modes of play one is a objectiveless grinder the same as we got at launch the other 2 had points to play one was creative where you dont have the objective of going down the drain. and what they seemed to focus on with this update base building commerce and resource gathering as to build shit required you to gather shit though this time they had automated drones to gather materials back at base...

At 3:15 they mention some sort of quick-travel (terminus teleporter?) back to your base.

Yeah, if the updates start pouring in this fast, I may actually buy this 'game'.

What do you mean by this fast? They have been radio silent for months at this rate I wouldn't expect another update till about March or April. I wouldn't really call this a speedy update. And their failure to communicate with their user base is making it that much worse. All they had to do was post anything... anything at all over the past few months and they could have fixed a lot of their issues. But keeping with the radio silence has just been making things worse for them.

I haven't tested out the new update so can't say for sure but they make it sound in that video above that you can create a teleporter that takes you back to your home planet / base whenever you want. they were showing off how you can call your freighter from any galaxy so it sounds like they might have fixed that some to make it easier to go back to that one planet, at least in some game modes.

I can say with certainty that the steam game is a wreck. Never have I had a game install and just flat out not even load. I followed all the advice on reinstalling redistributables, trying the steam license fix, everything. The thing seems to be an out of the box train wreck. I'll give it another try tomorrow to see if I can figure out what it's (not) doing and fix it. It's a shame, I bought it because I wanted to see if it was really as bad as I had heard. It really honestly looks nice, I was looking forward to trying it out this evening.

Ive had since 4 days after steam release. Has always worked. My only problem was the gpu usage staying low and the game had low fps and jerking unless I clicked play right after a reboot. That has been gone since AMD driver did somthing with the shaders or shader cache...It was in the driver explanation two drivers releases ago. The game is much better now if you want to try the other modes it offers. It wont get boring nearly as fast.

Don't know if it'll help, but you can try deleting NMS's shader cache.
steamapps\common\No Man's Sky\GAMEDATA\SHADERCACHE

Too little, too late. I can sympathize with 'Hello Games', though. The pressure 'Sony' was putting on them to release the product (finished or not), must have been frustrating to say the least. I'm glad they are still actively trying to deliver the game they promised, even if it ends up taking them another two years to do so.

Maybe I'm a dick, but I'm still not going to buy it until it drops on the bargain list. By then, all of these patches, any DLCs, etc will be available. Even then, I'll see what the average reviews are for the game before buying it - if it's still a turd, I'll pass. It's not like I don't have a stupid amount of other games to play instead.

They royally f'd up by not communicating with their fan base. I doubt I'll ever install the game again. They've been radio silent since what, Sept? That's inexcusable.

Don't know if it'll help, but you can try deleting NMS's shader cache.
steamapps\common\No Man's Sky\GAMEDATA\SHADERCACHE
That really helps performance, but it does not fix SLI.

To those that have seizure/excessive motion related health problems, do not start the game with SLI enabled. The shader and texture flickering is so damn bad you will instantly experience hell. I'm not even joking. I wasn't able to snap pictures when they change to rainbow colors too as they go back to show the original textures.
NMS_2016_11_27_23_52_06_532.png NMS_2016_11_27_23_52_10_966.png

Last edited:
Too little, too late. I can sympathize with 'Hello Games', though. The pressure 'Sony' was putting on them to release the product (finished or not), must have been frustrating to say the least. I'm glad they are still actively trying to deliver the game they promised, even if it ends up taking them another two years to do so.

Yeah Sony put so much pressure on them they even released the PC version at the same time :rolleyes: Clearly Hello Games had no control on when they rolled that turd PC game onto the market...

Sony made Sean Murray lie with every other breath that left his body about this game?

They royally f'd up by not communicating with their fan base. I doubt I'll ever install the game again. They've been radio silent since what, Sept? That's inexcusable.

yeah, a simple post every now and then could have fixed so much stuff

yeah, a simple post every now and then could have fixed so much stuff

Hello Games would have accomplished little by talking about their plans without anything show for it. People had zero reasons to trust anything they say, it would have been just more bullshit. Also no matter what they talked about, there would have been a vocal,group of crybabies screaming that they were working on the wrong features.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Very good update, nearly half the size of the original game. Much more to do now, especially for those who wanted game mechanics. Freighters, bases etc, graphics got a good polish along with LOD and terrain generation complexity , far more biome differences, new variations in plants/animals etc amongst many many other things. Lots of small changes and many huge ones also.

Jet packs got nerfed a little grrr... but looks like land vehicles are on their way.

Hello Games would have accomplished little by talking about their plans without anything show for it. People had zero reasons to trust anything they say, it would have been just more bullshit. Also no matter what they talked about, there would have been a vocal,group of crybabies screaming that they were working on the wrong features.
Yup, after the first month or two they got beyond the point of no return. Actions speak louder than words here.

Give it two more updates after this one and a drop to £14.99 and I might bite later next year.

at least they didnt ark it and sell dlc before the game is finished?

Seems to me they didn't fix any of the actual problems, just added a mode and some crappy base building.

That really helps performance, but it does not fix SLI.

To those that have seizure/excessive motion related health problems, do not start the game with SLI enabled. The shader and texture flickering is so damn bad you will instantly experience hell. I'm not even joking. I wasn't able to snap pictures when they change to rainbow colors too as they go back to show the original textures.
View attachment 11247 View attachment 11249
WTF is this? procedural generated textures?

except they still haven't delivered on any of the release promises, this patch changes nothing.

Any of them? Really? So, no procedural planets, no space ships, no nothing? Yeah, there's no multiplayer, and Murray should have kept his stupid mouth shut about a lot of things (before release rather than after), but it's hardly nothing.

This doesn't excuse a single damned thing. I would have accepted their apologies if they actually tried to do a decent job at explaining what happened but they stayed quiet. Any goodwill that could have been gained from trying to be sympathetic has been lost. I blame sony for screwing this up more then sean murray though.

WTF is this? procedural generated textures?
Shouldn't be. That was in a space station. What was going on planet side was... I'm not doing that again.

Clearing the shader cache and switching to TAA(Low) eliminates a lot of it, but anything procedural generated like asteroids, ships, etc. continue to light up like a Pink Floyd concert.

Back