No Man's Sky Cleared By U.K. Ad Watchdog

HardOCP News

[H] News
The UK's Advertising Standards Authority has issued a ruling on the complaints against Hello Games for misleading advertising of No Man's Sky. Head on over to Blue's for all the news.

They say: "We investigated the ad under CAP Code (Edition 12) rules 3.1 and 3.3 (Misleading advertising), 3.7 (Substantiation) and 3.11 (Exaggeration), but did not find it in breach." Their entire write-up is lengthy, but repeats the same point, talking about all the things that can be "understood" (the word appears in the statement 14 times) from the game's advertising.

Hello Games and Sony pretty much destroyed any love they might have received from most gamers. Lying too the community is a good way to turn friends into enemies. Releasing one of the most boring games ever made is another. A game that did not have most of the things they said it would. Being vague about co-op/multiplayer just to keep people interested. A scam is what this game is.

Could you buy and sell stuff? Yes. Could you fly stuff? Yes. Could you mine stuff? Yes. Could you walk around and name stuff? Yes. So did they deliver on their promises? Technically. Was any of it any good? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So basically they delivered what they promised, we just didn't understand what the promise was. I am going to try that arguement reversed and see if I can work that to my day to day taking advantage of others routine.

Hello Games and Sony pretty much destroyed any love they might have received from most gamers.

Sure, until Sony comes up with its next overhyped must-have title, at which point all those righteously indignant gamers will complete forget all about it and fall over themselves to preorder.

Read the breakdown of the ruling. Wow, just wow. Some of it was understandable, but other parts seemed like Hello Games wrote the statement for them.

The gist of it is that they didn't misrepresent the game because the "assets" existed in the data, and because the game is "procedurally generated," the screenshots/descriptions are therefore representative of the game.

Yet they haven't bothered to fix what has become known as the most unfinished and boring $60 game.

The issue is the hype ... "we gonna do this, we gonna do that" but the actual binding "this is what shall be done" doesn't align.
you might not like it, you might not agree with the ruling BUT that is the way with binding obligations, you rarely get what you think.

I have been stung in the past getting dragged up on hype so I stopped ... last one was when iD games "promised" rage would come to linux post-launch. I bought, I re-installed windows to bridge some arbitrary period... I finished and I was waiting for the linux binaries to come ... they turned around and said "no linux binaries". I only bought it because of linux-native and I simply refused to buy any iD product. The debacle with the latest batman game equally turned me away from pre-ordering (I cancelled as I was waiting on linux)

Last edited:
Back