No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

Man I wish I enjoyed this game bc Hello are heroes for continuing to.develop it. I just find it kludgy to.use with a controller, pretty bad first person implementation (narrow FOV, stodgy movement and combat) and the resource gathering and inventory management is a drag. exploration never grabbed me or felt significant like it did in Subnautica. No sense of wonder either. Even so, I recognize this game it probably one of the bigger triumphs in recent years with how its being expanded.

you guys were defending it when it was an average/bad game :D
Actually, while you are technically correct in many ways, there was something about the emptiness, and occasionally discovering long dead areas that appealed to me. It was kind of ominous, and just when you thought you were on a dead world, you find some artifact that piqued imagination.

It was the fact that it was largely empty that made it have an impact on me.

I’m glad they made it busier, and progressed it the way they did. There’s no doubt it’s an infinitely better game now. Somehow it was a lot more mysterious and archaic earlier on though. Now it’s a bit more 3D Terraria in space :D Which is fine, because I’m also into that sort of experience.

It had a certain something though earlier that I’ve never experienced in a game before.

Actually, while you are technically correct in many ways, there was something about the emptiness, and occasionally discovering long dead areas that appealed to me. It was kind of ominous, and just when you thought you were on a dead world, you find some artifact that piqued imagination.

It was the fact that it was largely empty that made it have an impact on me.

I’m glad they made it busier, and progressed it the way they did. There’s no doubt it’s an infinitely better game now. Somehow it was a lot more mysterious and archaic earlier on though. Now it’s a bit more 3D Terraria in space :D Which is fine, because I’m also into that sort of experience.

It had a certain something though earlier that I’ve never experienced in a game before.
Very well said.

I second the part about the mysterious feeling the vanilla version had portrayed.

Yes, while is was more empty, it also heightened the sense of how alone you were in such a massive universe. Which, at the time, and for the first few dozen hours(for me) was a pretty unique experience.

have they changed the original ending- after you reach the center of the Galaxy?...I hear it totally sucked- it just drops you on another far away planet and you start NG+

have they changed the original ending- after you reach the center of the Galaxy?...I hear it totally sucked- it just drops you on another far away planet and you start NG+
That's still roughly the same, but there are ways to influence how the second (and 3rd, 4th, etc.) galaxy generates and now you can also travel between different galaxies to return to the original (or others....)

That's also just the ending of one plotline. There are now multiple plotlines that resolve in different ways. Independently of each other so you can complete all of them.

The "center of the galaxy" and the "Atlas" plotline are some of the weaker ones compared to other things going on in the game like bio spaceships, the straight up horror dungeons of abandoned capital ships and other anomalous characters.

I have 230 hours into an endgame run last year. Think it is worth it at this point to start a NG for all the added content in the last year?

HeavensCloud - Which update did you play on? Next Generation was graphics overhaul, bases, giant worms (I think) etc.. Companions was nice to have pets and all that fun. Expeditions was definitely neat playing with people and the game loop of challenges, missions, rewards, hubs, etc.

If you were on for Desolation - the derelict freighters were super cool.

Decided to finally get around to playing the game (bought it awhile back but didn't play) and figured I'd see how it is in VR (Quest 2). Wow, the VR experience in great. Early game is pretty close to how I remember from launch, but that's not entirely a bad thing. Pity I can only spend about an hour in VR before my eyes need a break (I need a set of those superscription lenses so I'm not shoving my glasses against my face and not relying on glasses that need replaced) otherwise I think I'd enjoy spending hours exploring the game.

Can we kill the worms now?! Honestly that was one of the more unexpected, but super cool, things from the earlier-this-year update was hitting a planet with the worms and having them pop up.

Flying Sandworms?! I really need to catch up. I haven't even set up a fleet / crafted a mech / tamed a pet / scratched the surface.

Being lazy here...can you play this game co-op?
Yes, you can allow for 'online' play. You can invite friends or just enable the online feature which will allow you to see random people in game. The random part is truely random because the universe is so huge people could be anywhere on a billion different planets. The Nexus is a central meeting place you can go to in game and meet people.

I have it installed and every time I see a multi-GB update I'm shocked.

(Yeah maybe one day, after Elden Ring, after RDR2, etc., I'll get back to dedicating playtime to it...)

Love the not so slight shade at another game (mired in delay) that will go unnamed in the same genre.
1649861824159.png

Wow! Now I HAVE to get back into this. I just have to deal with my Elden-addiction first. Plus, I moved my main game machine into the living room cabinet, so I can sit back and comfortably play this on the couch. Perfect! I sense a little Privateer action coming! ;)

Still after the disaster of a release they've done a good job supporting it even if shooting crystals is boring. Maybe one day someone can suggest an update that make shooting crystals more entertaining !

Back