No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

No Man's Sky studio Hello Games is working on a 'huge, ambitious game'

Founder Sean Murray told Polygon that the studio is currently planning another "huge, ambitious game like No Man's Sky."...he didn't reveal anything about it (except for the detail that some people at the studio are currently working on this "big" game), but he did share some thoughts on lessons learned from the launch of No Man's Sky, including that, in the end, he didn't really regret the path it took...

Murray admits that there was definitely a toll taken on his team in terms of their mental health after the blowback of the launch. “That was a very, very hard process and I wouldn’t want to put anyone through that again,” he said...

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/...ast-campfire-apple-arcade-interview-next-game

Whoa. It's the video game equivalent of the ugly duckling! I wish I hadn't killed / lost my 80+ hour playthrough, now all I have is a slot with a ton of broken slots and a trashed ship I'm not looking forward to repairing.

Maybe I should start fresh.

Kind of hope they eventually had an update that adds a bit more 'story' to the game.

Kind of hope they eventually had an update that adds a bit more 'story' to the game.
I would have liked that too but this the next best thing and something that people have been asking for from the very beginning.

Volcanoes? Tornadoes? More planetary variety and detail? Among a ton of other things. Guess I know what I'm playing after work. I can't believe these guys...

I went home on my lunch just to make sure the update happens. I'm playing as soon as I get home.

I went home on my lunch just to make sure the update happens. I'm playing as soon as I get home.

Ha, I just downloaded it. I'm pretty excited to see what they've done. It would normally be shocking if they added anything for free at this point, like a couple of new items and a graphics upgrade. But they've been periodically dropping what damn near amount to huge DLC packs with improvements to graphics -and- gameplay...for free...years after the game's release. That's just incredible. Even if you still don't like the game at this point, you have to give some major kudos to Hello Games and respect what they've done/are doing.

Ha, I just downloaded it. I'm pretty excited to see what they've done. It would normally be shocking if they added anything for free at this point, like a couple of new items and a graphics upgrade. But they've been periodically dropping what damn near amount to huge DLC packs with improvements to graphics -and- gameplay...for free...years after the game's release. That's just incredible. Even if you still don't like the game at this point, you have to give some major kudos to Hello Games and respect what they've done/are doing.

Exactly.

I'm one of the few who have enjoyed this game from the start.

I watched the very first trailer and was hooked, and avoided any further trailers/press. When it launched, it was exactly what the first trailer promised, and I loved it... but everyone else hated it. I then found out why, and it was understandable, so, because of Sean's loud mouth, we have all of the updates we've had.

If he didn't run his mouth, it'd probably still be very similar to the original launch... I would still be happy, but I'm glad he did.

I think it's funny that they're both a textbook example of how to botch a launch and how to win people over after having a botched launch since it's hard to be at both extremes.

I have to admit I thought that there was no way there was going to be any redemption for the game but I was wrong. I do wish that there was more gameplay content but with the little there is along with all the sandbox stuff I've played a couple hundred hours according to steam in 1.5 playthroughs.

I found one of the giant buildings and jetpacked to the top, there were some clipping issues, so hopefully they work that out shortly.

Loving the update so far though!

Loving the game! man its nice to see my base still there, and so much new shit I love it.

The only gripe I have right now is HDR is constantly crashing. I would love to have this working as it looks so damn good :/ either way though this game looks amazing in SDR and at 4k.

this game looks amazing in SDR and at 4k.

Heck yeah it does. I can't wait to play it on a 3080. My 1080Ti runs it pretty well (high 50s I think) but my OLED is sitting here at 120Hz begging for more!

Serious question. Why aren't they charging for some of these major updates? How are they making money putting in all these man hours pumping out one major update after another years after release for free. It's not like they are EA and can easily absorb the cost.

Pretty sure it's all the new purchases during the updates. Every time they update, it goes on sale for half-price on Steam as well. I'm guessing they've sold quite a few new copies over time. When they put in multiplayer, I bought copies for my kids too.

They sold a fuckton at launch and every major release they're selling quite a bit more. The sales off of the original hype was enough to last them years considering how small the team is.

This video covers a bit of it. It is an hour long and kind of... annoying... but its good stuff. (Also quite a few updates behind at this point.)

Pretty sure it's all the new purchases during the updates. Every time they update, it goes on sale for half-price on Steam as well. I'm guessing they've sold quite a few new copies over time. When they put in multiplayer, I bought copies for my kids too.
Not only that but it's never hit the bargain bin, last I knew the game was $60 and $30 on sale though I think I saw it 60% off the other day somewhere. Most games would have the $5-10 price point years ago.
There is a new update arriving ?
In November, it's basically all the updates for the next gen consoles with a few PC only extras. My guess is they're announcing it so early with an official announcement because the next gen releases are getting hyped.

It's weird to say, but I hate when games add new content overtime and I think it should be 1 year tops, not go on for 4 years like this game.

There are exponentially more games being released today than back in the 90's and 2000's. Many of the current gen games are "open world" too, and take much longer to beat than previous gen games. It seems like "live service" games are the new norm going forward.

I got 30+ (good) unplayed games in my Steam library. I just want to play a single player game, start to finish, with all the DLC content & patch fixes, beat it, and move on to the next game. I don't have time to play old games I already beat over and over again, when I have new, fresh, and exciting games lined up waiting to play.

If I beat No Mans Sky 4 years ago, why on earth would I want to keep coming back every 3-6 months when they release a new content? It kind of makes me feel cheated that the X amount of hours I put into the game originally wasn't complete or whole, especially when new content does things like increase the games graphics, performance, rebalances mechanics, adds new content, etc. that affects the base/default game. Do I really need to re-install the same game dozens of times just to see this new content?

I use to make fun of games that would do a yearly rehash (like most EA or Ubisoft titles), but I think I would rather have that then a game trying to drip-feed me content over several years. If I wanted something like that, I would play an MMO again.

Still haven't played a single second of No Man's Sky yet. Waiting for it to be complete, but looks like I'm going to keep on waiting. I've made a golden rule for myself that I will not play a game until it has been released for at least 12 months. That seems to be the safe point where all patch fixes are released and all DLC content is actually available to play. Doesn't hurt my wallet at least, since the games are usually 75% off by then in a Steam Christmas or Summer sale anyway even with all the DLC's.

Last edited:
It's weird to say, but I hate when games add new content overtime and I think it should be 1 year tops, not go on for 4 years like this game.

Still haven't played a single second of No Man's Sky yet. Waiting for it to be complete, but looks like I'm going to keep on waiting. I've made a golden rule for myself that I will not play a game until it has been released for at least 12 months. That seems to be the safe point where all patch fixes are released and all DLC content is actually available to play. Doesn't hurt my wallet at least, since the games are usually 75% off by then in a Steam Christmas or Summer sale anyway even with all the DLC's.
Then uhh, wait for it to be complete? Nothing's making you play it every update, i usually jump back in every few updates, play for 20 hours or so, then disregard it for another 6+ months. I just keep up with the update videos because the stuff they keep adding is really cool.

Likewise, every single update to No Man's Sky has been completely free.

Furthermore, it's not really a game that you can "beat." Consider it more like an infinite playground with vague directions that you can take, ala minecraft.

Then uhh, wait for it to be complete? Nothing's making you play it every update, i usually jump back in every few updates, play for 20 hours or so, then disregard it for another 6+ months. I just keep up with the update videos because the stuff they keep adding is really cool.

Likewise, every single update to No Man's Sky has been completely free.

Furthermore, it's not really a game that you can "beat." Consider it more like an infinite playground with vague directions that you can take, ala minecraft.

Yeah I know the game is an open sandbox and I'm not being "forced" to come back and play. I guess I'm just getting impatient, since I do actually want to play this game, but I don't want to play it until it is feature-complete.

Yeah I know the game is an open sandbox and I'm not being "forced" to come back and play. I guess I'm just getting impatient, since I do actually want to play this game, but I don't want to play it until it is feature-complete.
Might be waiting a while. I expect at least another 2 years of updates. I think there will be another boost in sales for next gen consoles and I'm also kinda hoping for a Switch version...

The feature completion (in regard to original pre-release scope) is WELL BEYOND anything that was originally promised. It’s been feature complete for a LONG time.

These updates are extras. New things to explore, check out, visual improvements, more aliens, more biomes, etc. They are bonus, expansion, etc. and are free.

You could have jumped in any time and enjoyed this game. Same is true now. Same is true a year from now.

You waiting is not netting you any real benefit. The updates are so seamless that you can just keep playing, and all of a sudden run into something you’ve never seen, then realize they just added it. (Assuming you’re not paying attention to their release announcements)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a minute since I played this. Did I see a giant earth worm in that trailer? When did they add giant earth worms?

I just started a new play. I hadn't played it since well before Origins. I was starting to think maybe my old save might be missing some things (couldn't be sure, but it felt like it was). I've already started seeing things on my first couple of planets that I've never seen before. Pretty cool. Previously it seemed more like the updates were seamless, so I may have had an issue with my save. Unfortunately I haven't had enough time to really dig into it. (still trying to finish up Cyber Shadow :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing how much content these guys have added over the years.

I'd say they've earned it to start charging some DLC prices for any major content add-ons going forward. But that's just me.

Or they can keep updating NMS for free and charge $80 for their next game ;) I'm fine with either. :D (don't want to be starting trends though for $80 games... :D )

Back