No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

Spooky, the Yello Squid fits right in....

No Man's Sky Screenshot 2020.03.20 - 22.04.06.58.png

Nice! I looked at my game, and the saves I have are so old I start out like new- at the broken spaceship. I got it running a bit and will claim the upgrade in a bit, but did luck on a militant alien who needed resources and I guessed correctly- so now I have a 20~ish slot rifle with a few modules, and a bunch of broken slots. And I found a blueprint vendor!

Here's a cactus farm on a absolutely hostile extreme weather frost planet.
Super cold with constant storms and blizzards, lots of hostile predators and very active and enforcing sentinels.
It's a riot, had a blast building this and will start some detail work later.

No Man's Sky Screenshot 2020.04.04 - 14.26.23.10.png

No Man's Sky Screenshot 2020.04.04 - 14.27.54.40.png

Loving new updates!
Just need more variation for exotic/normal planets. That said they have definitely tweaked the ground geometry/variation and some of the vegetation, found some amazing depressions and tabletop plateaus recently. More variation is always appreciated though, they've catered to the minecraft/etc types, now please cater to the core who have played this since day one: the explorer.

Had this wonderful fuckup the other day.
20200402180000_1.jpg

And the tallest spire I've ever seen. It was literally in the clouds at the top and one hell of a jump off the top. Marked it for making a base one day, on a fungal exotic planet.
20200402095633_1.jpg
20200402095746_1.jpg
20200402095811_1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm surprised the company has been able to keep going as long as they have just on the basis of new sales of a 4 year old game.

I'm surprised the company has been able to keep going as long as they have just on the basis of new sales of a 4 year old game.

Every time they do a major update, they put it on sale for around half-price. I imagine this generates more new sales than a typical game of this age. The updates are massive, and the Steam forums start churning for weeks after one of them gets released. I'm not sure how long it can be sustained of course, but it's quite an unusual game and situation. I bought a couple of extra copies myself for my kids after the multiplayer started getting more fleshed out.

I think what they should do at this point is keep releasing smaller updates for free, and then work on a paid expansion with some really serious content. (just from a business perspective... as a player, I don't mind all the free updates ;) ) The game is beyond anything they originally talked about before release, and I think they've managed to restore the good will of even those people with unreasonable expectations. :D It's really an outline of what any company should do when they put out a shaky release. I've never seen anything like it really. (even the initial release was actually very good too... just not what a lot of people were expecting, hoping for, imagining)

Sidenote:

The mech patch caused some changes..Made my home planet have a 24/7 "lung burning night wind" and Sentinels are now "Zealous"

In the past patches/updates have caused climate/color/sentinel behavior changes as well, first time for me tho.
I have 3 bases there, will leave them alone and visit for the farms every now and then, or to just fight it out with sentinels that now shoot on sight lol.

Only bummer is it is a beautiful desert/ocean planet and I will miss that. Can still enjoy it from the inside of a mech hahaha

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Sidenote:

The mech patch caused some changes..Made my home planet have a 24/7 "lung burning night wind" and Sentinels are now "Zealous"

In the past patches/updates have caused climate/color/sentinel behavior changes as well, first time for me tho.
I have 3 bases there, will leave them alone and visit for the farms every now and then, or to just fight it out with sentinels that now shoot on sight lol.

Only bummer is it is a beautiful desert/ocean planet and I will miss that. Can still enjoy it from the inside of a mech hahaha

Or you could teleport into the base from a station. But then, it's still nasty outside. :D

Reactions: Auer
like this
Also, I dont mind bad weather all that much actually...

TSENMS.png

But yeah, moving on :)

Call me crazy but I picked this up about a month ago for around $50 and it was totally worth what I paid. I have 200 hours played and enjoyed. $50 for 200+ hours of entertainment is how I look at it. I definitely recommend getting it even if you don't find a discount. That's probably how they can still make some money with suckers like me lol.

Call me crazy but I picked this up about a month ago for around $50 and it was totally worth what I paid. I have 200 hours played and enjoyed. $50 for 200+ hours of entertainment is how I look at it. I definitely recommend getting it even if you don't find a discount. That's probably how they can still make some money with suckers like me lol.

Agreed. I payed something like $45 a few days before release. Might’ve been on GMG or something like that or intro sale maybe. I even thought it was worth it before they did any major updates. Sure it’s WAY WAY better now. Night and day, but even though it was pretty limited, something about it grabbed me enough to play something like 40-50 hours in its original state even. If the game play was a bit limited, it still had style.

Life goes on, Desert Ocean planet take two. Had to mostly evacuate the old one due to patch going south on the climate.

20200408181312_1.jpg

Some 4k shots of new base and the "Hide all wiring" thing that is the real star of the Mech update. RTX2070, 75% in game scaling. Ultra/high settings.

same i paid around 50 since i missed one of their sales and wanted to try it but then realized i'm really bad at the games like this and just don't have the time to play it like i thought.. i don't regret giving them my money though, game looks amazing now so if my money allows them to keep it going then it was worth it.

Last edited:
Looks like a great gameplay loop addition. Finally abandoned/alien infected ships, SC still can't even do something like this lol.
All I hope is an exploration/proc gen update is in the pipeline to diversify worlds and give more detail.

I give a lot of credit to Hello Games. For as shitty as this games launch was, they've made incredible strides to do right by the people who bought into their hype. NMS has shaped up to be a really great game, and this looks like a pretty fun addition.

Yeah, unfortunately this is sort of the reality of the game. Thankfully you can install mods and stuff to give yourself resources even though it's an online game.
Hahaha, I suppose so, I'm not that lazy/impatient tho. The slow method kinda suits the overall mood of a what is really a chill type game.
Anyone looking for excitement or instant gratification in NMS will be disappointed :)

I take breaks from NMS, it's so easy to just put down and pick up again whenever the mood strikes.
Fallout 76 has been my Covid Summer game so far.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
That got me so excited that I fired it up this weekend, Big Oof. Somehow all of the saves I have are only a few hours of playtime, and the one with the most houst is hosed uop with a good ship and multitool but 75% of the spaces are broken tech. But it plays so much better than a couple of years ago that I think I'll start fresh this weekend.

That got me so excited that I fired it up this weekend, Big Oof. Somehow all of the saves I have are only a few hours of playtime, and the one with the most houst is hosed uop with a good ship and multitool but 75% of the spaces are broken tech. But it plays so much better than a couple of years ago that I think I'll start fresh this weekend.
When did you last play? I took a few months off and had no issues...

I have not played in ~6 months...

Played ~4 hours last night. Got 2 derelict freighters... good fun. :)

Also learned that I had placed all my tech in the wrong spots, so my stats were alot lower than it should be. There is also strat in placing your tech, and the blueprints around em. :banghead: :(

Last edited:
At least a year, and I had to restart at that point and so have a few really beginner slots with really bad starting planets. It's all good, I watched a couple of vids showing how much easier it is to start these days.

And I agree on the tech- remember when most of it couldn't be moved?

When did you last play? I took a few months off and had no issues...
Yeah after one of the earlier updates the same happened to me. I put in around 100 hours in the first 2-3 versions and lots of progress was wiped out (max upgrades multi/ship/etc) and replaced with technology modules or something. Was frustrating and put me off a bit but these days don't mind and understand why.

Agreed- I'm not mad. They have updated so much it had to break things along the way somewhere. And now I know how to make money faster, and about adjacency bonuses and all that...

The addition of No Man's Sky to the Xbox Game Pass library has rocketed up the game's player count by over a million new players according to a blog post from Hello Games founder Sean Murray

https://screenrant.com/no-mans-sky-new-players-xbox-game-pass/

over a million new players joined the game within its first month on the service, rocketing up its player count as consumers explored all the game has to offer. The news was delivered by Hello Games' Sean Murray via the Xbox Wire, and accompanied the developer's announcement that No Man's Sky Desolation update was now live. According to Murray, this has resulted in some of No Man's Sky's "biggest ever in-game numbers," a remarkable feat for a game that has been out since 2016 and first arrived on Xbox One in 2018.

Back