No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

I don’t have a hard time earning nanites. This is good tip on earning more. Thank you.

however I’m curious as to how to earn a lot of money quickly so I can enjoy the game more for just exploring? Is farming the way to go? Should I focus on building up my base first?

Mining/Farming, altho boring is the way it seems. I only make a bit of Living glass from my farms. enough to keep me in $$$.
I like hunting for ancient bones too, or collecting storm crystals. Personally not in to the mass active indium mines that net billions every hour.

If you just explore, you really don't need much $$$ at all. Max out a ship or two and that's that.

I posted a chart on the previous page that gives trade routes. you want to put an economy scanner on a ship and then go to rich planetary sustems and buy their most expensive unique items that you can fit. find a rich system for the next type in the chart, sell your junk and buy theirs. if you have not maxed your suit capacity then add one each system until it is maxed. its a little bit of a grind but can also be pretty satisfying. Once you have max slots you can get some 3-4 million per run. Other methods are way more profitable, but if you are visiting stations to upgrade your suit and language dictionary then it can be a pretty good thing to do.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Small farms can be built cheap and quick with modules, are fast to harvest and produce well enough to be useful without being a chore.

No Man's Sky Screenshot 2020.02.18 - 21.55.00.92.png

Farming makes for an easy source of income. you need income to do a lot of the upgrades on your suit and ship. With income you can pretty much skip things like mining all together, and just buy what you need at every station.

So they finally figured out what the seeds are in the current beta version of a game.
organic spaceships that take organic mods
should be interesting

Ack we have to learn to farm to play this game ?
Nope.
I make lot of $ doing freighter missions.
Just one of many ways to do it. You can even just grind buried tech modules and artifacts if you want. Or do missions, or find flora and forna and many other methods, there are so many ways to make $ in this game.

Last edited:
A an alternative to presenting bread to Cronus for Nanites, Smoke meats......

I used some meat chunks and feline livers I got from shooting predators and prey on a nasty toxic planet I have a hunting station on (extreme weather, also has Active Indium and storm crystals)

Same results as bread, but no farming and only one step in the refiner. Carbon or Condensed Carbon as a catalyst.

No Man's Sky Screenshot 2020.02.19 - 10.48.18.44.png

No Man's Sky Screenshot 2020.02.19 - 10.52.07.77.png

No Man's Sky Screenshot 2020.02.19 - 10.35.26.03.png

They are really starting to add some good stuff in. I love things that add to the mystery in games. I think it's time I jumped back in. They should add some rudimentary RTX support to this. I'd love to push my hardware a bit more in the context of this game. I think the art style would lend itself well to some additional lighting effects. I think I'll hop in tonight, and maybe start over as I haven't done that in a while. It will be interesting to see things from a new starting point.

like this
It is now on sale on both Steam and GOG. I usually prefer to buy on GOG, but am leaning towards using Steam because it simplifies things a lot when trying to run in Linux. Any reason to not go with the Steam version? I will be picking it up tonight on one of the two.

It is now on sale on both Steam and GOG. I usually prefer to buy on GOG, but am leaning towards using Steam because it simplifies things a lot when trying to run in Linux. Any reason to not go with the Steam version?

Maybe some GoG users can chime in, but I use NMS in Steam as I have some friends that jump in to the game with me every now and then and its easy with Steam.

Did they ever have the portal things do something, the giant gate like structures? I stopped following this a long long time ago.

I bought it on Steam (the multiplayer potential kinda helped with that choice) and am up to the second planet now. Inventory management is already a pain, i need more inventory slots. It kinda feels like a Fortnite/Minecraft hybrid from the building perspective.
Also i think I just made one of the portal things you are talking about, and it is for teleporting back to one of your bases, based on the description. Mine is not working yet as I have to next create a generator to power it.

Is there a way to remap roll to mouse and rudder/thrust L&R to keyboard keys? I went to remap controls and didn't see anything

Last edited:
FYI to anyone that considers a living ship, it requires 3200 quicksilver.

That takes a while to get, unless youre using some kind of cheat. I dont usually do missions from the Nexus so I had no QS atm haha.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Hey ThatITGuy; The portals FrEaKy was talking about are alien structures that you sometimes find on planets- they are pretty big and mysterious... It's not uncommon to see then much less than one a system (if I remember correctly).

like this
The big portals? Which have pillars that need to be activated? They are teleportation devices to get to anywhere in their multiverse. You need to unlock the symbols then spend resources to activate each pillar. Then you can put in coordinates. You can pick up rare ships and weapons this way, probably even a new organic, without spending quicksilver.

like this
I stayed up far later than I really had wanted to last night playing this. I finished getting a warp drive, and went back to my base to create additional warp drive fuel, because the initial refuel did not seem to give much and i like to have backup just in case. Of course in the process I was sidetracked by finding buried data, learning new words through knowledge stones, and just running around looking at stuff. I like the mechanism for learning to talk to the other races, where you learn one word at a time. I also like being able to "dig" into the ground with the manipulator, which gives it a real Minecraft-like feel for me (along with the crafting), but with better graphics. I wish there was a way to reverse the digging and "raise" the land as well, mainly for base-building fun. I can definitely see this game being addictive. My only annoyance currently is the flight model, and that is probably in part due to A and D being roll instead of for "strafing". I am still trying to get used to that.
I am liking this more than Subnautica, but i think that is because right now I am looking for something more laid back. With Subnautica, it felt so frantic trying to constantly manage food and drink (as well as O2 when exploring). When out exploring, i still have to manage Life Support and the Atmospheric protection, but so far that has been really simple.

Last edited:
ThatITGuy

By clicking the mousewheel while having the Terrain Manipulator active you can choose to either mine, create, flatten or restore.

ThatITGuy

By clicking the mousewheel while having the Terrain Manipulator active you can choose to either mine, create, flatten or restore.
Hah, i don't think the tutorial / guided progression mentions this.

I do feel like I am cheating when landing in this game, since it does it all for you. I did get pretty good at coming in hot to a landing platform and sticking the landing in Elite Dangerous, but it had its moments of panic when i would accidentally boost, or another ship would move into my path.

Hah, i don't think the tutorial / guided progression mentions this.

I do feel like I am cheating when landing in this game, since it does it all for you. I did get pretty good at coming in hot to a landing platform and sticking the landing in Elite Dangerous, but it had its moments of panic when i would accidentally boost, or another ship would move into my path.

There is a ton to figure out that is not in the very limited tutorial. Part of the fun, at least for me. For others, sometimes frustrating...

Flying is very simple. No comparison to ED at all.

Another robust update. Amazing. I'll be getting back to this soon.

like this
It is now on sale on both Steam and GOG. I usually prefer to buy on GOG, but am leaning towards using Steam because it simplifies things a lot when trying to run in Linux. Any reason to not go with the Steam version? I will be picking it up tonight on one of the two.

If I remember right, the GOG version requires their launcher to run, there is no DRM free offline installer for it. That and it only works with other GOG clients, so no playing with Steam friends.

like this
If I remember right, the GOG version requires their launcher to run, there is no DRM free offline installer for it. That and it only works with other GOG clients, so no playing with Steam friends.
Slight correction. You do not need the GOG launcher to run the game. I am a GOG user and I never use their launcher.

Slight correction. You do not need the GOG launcher to run the game. I am a GOG user and I never use their launcher.

So it has an offline installer? I thought it had an online required component with the Dev's servers.

Wow those new ships remind me of the old jovian stuff in EvE.. very cool. Will be giving this a whirl once i'm finished with HL2 EP2 lol.. yeah I waited 14+ years to play it d;
Great work HG. Hopefully they added more special planet variation too.

So it has an offline installer? I thought it had an online required component with the Dev's servers.
The installer is through GOG. But once installed you can run it independently from the launcher. One of the reasons I like GOG besides the DRM free. They don't force you to launch games through their launcher.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
The installer is through GOG. But once installed you can run it independently from the launcher. One of the reasons I like GOG besides the DRM free. They don't force you to launch games through their launcher.
This is why i buy the majority of my games with them. The only reason I bought from Steam this time was 1) Multiplayer with a larger pool of potential people, which looks like it could be helpful for at least one of the things i saw in Nexus last night. 2) Linux compatibility (and without having to do anything beyond select the proton version i want to use).
I have my linux machine connected to my TV, and I will likely play this on that, and from the comfort of my recliner instead of my computer chair, on occasion.
I guess that does beg the question, does everyone play with mouse and keyboard, or does anyone use a controller of some sort?

like this
Mouse and KB for me but I do play NMS on my TV quite comfortably on the couch.

I use a Corsair K63 wireless kb and Logitech G305 mouse for the TV setup. I made a “lap board “ out of an old shelf and cozy couch/recliner gaming for days. 😎

There is a ton to figure out that is not in the very limited tutorial. Part of the fun, at least for me. For others, sometimes frustrating...

Flying is very simple. No comparison to ED at all.
Got to the Nexus last night, and got a new ship. I left my original ship on the planet, but there is no indicator as to where, so i gave up after flying around the planet for 20 minutes trying to find the location again. I later learned you can mark a spot on a planet, but it was too late by then.
So far my only frustrations are the flying (still cannot get used to roll being on the keyboard), and not knowing which response to choose in some of the interactions. The missions you get from turning in Nav Data usually result in interacting with a computer and choosing a response. Granted, my language knowledge isn't 100% yet, but so far the only time my choice has been correct is when i just said "Grak Grak" back to the thing. I have a similar problem with practicing languages, as i am only given 4 words to choose from, and a number of times the option it seems to make sense to choose results in a negative reaction/lost faction points. I get different factions react differently, like Gek do not like destruction/violence related words, but even things like Trade and Help can be met with negative results for some, and with a gift from others.

you can recall ships, there is a menu option for it, I forget where. once you get a freighter they will all appear inside it.
the interact stations, generally if you get the wrong option, you just reload last save, which will be when you got out of the ship
there is also a station minigame with the aliens... just never play that.

ThatITGuy

Almost 100% of the ppl I have played with or that I know is playing use KB/mouse.

Lots of guides online worth reading. And ask, if you find yourself curious about things.

I got hundreds of hours in game, and keep finding things I didnt know about.

People over at https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/ are cool in general too and helpful.

When I first played, I used the KB+M. No problems there. However, I have a pretty beefy living room PC setup, and 87" TV in there, so I play there now on XBOne pads. I don't really miss the KB+M for it. This game is pretty comfortable (especially flying) on the pad.

like this
When I first played, I used the KB+M. No problems there. However, I have a pretty beefy living room PC setup, and 87" TV in there, so I play there now on XBOne pads. I don't really miss the KB+M for it. This game is pretty comfortable (especially flying) on the pad.

Been thinking about using the Steam controller and Link to play in the living room, but I like the solitude of my office/creative/music room...

Been thinking about using the Steam controller and Link to play in the living room, but I like the solitude of my office/creative/music room...

Sounds like a similar situation. For me it depends on the game. I also have an office/creative/music/game room :D Normally, I would probably put NMS into the category where I'd prefer the solitude, but something about it on that screen... It's relaxing and exciting at the same time, and just kind of feels natural like that. With dark shooters (Sys/Bio Shock games, id games, Arkane games etc.) I definitely like the office, M+KB, lights out, doors shut. I play games through my studio monitors too, so despite being stereo it sounds amazing.

like this
Sounds like a similar situation. For me it depends on the game. I also have an office/creative/music/game room :D Normally, I would probably put NMS into the category where I'd prefer the solitude, but something about it on that screen... It's relaxing and exciting at the same time, and just kind of feels natural like that. With dark shooters (Sys/Bio Shock games, id games, Arkane games etc.) I definitely like the office, M+KB, lights out, doors shut. I play games through my studio monitors too, so despite being stereo it sounds amazing.
Yea my TV is hooked up to a receiver and 5.1 surround sound.

Experimental Liquid Explosives farm on a desert islands ocean world. Work in progress.
Also a shot from there with my capital ship and the anomaly in low orbit at night.

No Man's Sky Screenshot 2020.02.21 - 21.06.28.95.png

No Man's Sky Screenshot 2020.02.21 - 21.56.30.55.png

Back