No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

Seems like I ran into that once. I simply reloaded my last save from when I hopped out of my ship after landing at the landing location that's near the facility and answered the question again. If I'm honest, I always reload if I answer the question incorrectly because who knows when I'll encounter the next manufacturing facility and I'm not going to let the fact that it takes so long to learn enough words to decipher the "question" inhibit my ability to reap the rewards. Yes it's more realistic that it would take time to learn their language to the point that you understood it fluently but that's a grind I don't want to endure (particularly when there is something at stake). So I don't use the language mod, but I "cheat" that way. No different than reloading a quick save when you make a poor choice in any other game, except here it's not about skill. When only 1/4-1/3 of the words in a question are understandable and the rest is cryptic, it's often blind luck choosing the correct answer.

Another bug I've encountered is when you blow open a security door, enter the facility, and reload your last save. A few times when I've reloaded, the "status" of the facility is reset (meaning the security door is back and there are no alarms going off). Just have to keep reloading when that happens.

Just another in the list of small but annoying bugs, but not major enough to take away any lasting enjoyment.
Same here, I do a reload if I answered incorrectly, but now, when I answer correctly, it just won't give me the normal 3 options for reward. I don't want to use a mod to get blueprints but this is getting very annoying as I have gone to 5 other manufacturing on the same planet and 2 from a different planet from a different system with the same no rewards bug.

Edit - I have gotten the other bug you mention but only once.

Same here, I do a reload if I answered incorrectly, but now, when I answer correctly, it just won't give me the normal 3 options for reward. I don't want to use a mod to get blueprints but this is getting very annoying as I have gone to 5 other manufacturing on the same planet and 2 from a different planet from a different system with the same no rewards bug.

Edit - I have gotten the other bug you mention but only once.

That sucks. I have around 12 hours logged under my new save and like I said, I think the "no rewards" bug has only happened once during that time. Maybe twice, but in any event reloading fixed it for me. I hope your game isn't permanently bugged! Did you reload your save every time it happened? If so, it should reset itself after a few tries at most, but if you experienced the bug and then kept going, I wonder if it would be persistent. That would be piss poor since your options for reloading prior save points are pretty limited.

There are different "reward sets" for manufacturing plants. if you get what looks like a successful decision and then no choices I would reload. 3 plasma will break the door, so you can do it quickly. There are mission sets though with no apparent rewards, just move on. And keep in mind you can farm the facilities. buy one location from cartographer. if it says secure site, then buy the rest from the same guy, otherwise move to a new station. You can use 2 or 3 per planet, after that they repeat or find nothing. You can find other sites in the 3rd person view of the ship, just not with the location tags.

There are different "reward sets" for manufacturing plants. if you get what looks like a successful decision and then no choices I would reload. 3 plasma will break the door, so you can do it quickly. There are mission sets though with no apparent rewards, just move on. And keep in mind you can farm the facilities. buy one location from cartographer. if it says secure site, then buy the rest from the same guy, otherwise move to a new station. You can use 2 or 3 per planet, after that they repeat or find nothing. You can find other sites in the 3rd person view of the ship, just not with the location tags.
Be any chance is it a mission set that involves some sort of biological substance?

upload_2019-9-13_5-2-28.png
upload_2019-9-13_5-6-1.png
upload_2019-9-13_4-53-8.png
upload_2019-9-13_5-3-58.png
upload_2019-9-13_5-7-34.png

Finally got a freighter.. Venator S-Class 34/4
Looks closest to a Star Destroyer and has same functionality minus some attack surface and turrets of the extended Venator based models. The Cyan accents on black pops with the engine flares, best colour for me.
This particular name/configuration has not been documented so may as well do it here.
Obtained using reload technique and it took about 7-10 attempts. Can provide location if you want to get it.

Beyond update is... like being given a whole new game. Hats off to HG, if you have been waiting... jump in the game now, it's ready. Or alternatively, dust it off and give it another shot.

S class, congrats. I have an A class version of the same ship. But I don't really like it. I find the pillars on top to be annoying at times.

S class, congrats. I have an A class version of the same ship. But I don't really like it. I find the pillars on top to be annoying at times.
Hey thank you! Would have gladly settled for A (nearly pulled on B like a noob lol) also but only got offered B or C otherwise. Dodging those pillars is a pain sometimes, but early days for me. The Sentinel might prove to be a better option when fighting NPCs with those pillars in mind but for PVP the turrets in line is a bit of a weakness.

new experimental branch, hopefully released Tue or Wed
https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/2952595757880068564/
Experimental Branch 12/09
  • Added new events to the Nexus:
  • Occasionally, 'Encrypted Missions' will appear on the Nexus mission list. The objectives for these missions are hidden until the mission is in progress, but the rewards are far higher.
  • Each day, every player also has the chance to complete a Nexus mission to earn Quicksilver.

• Added new customisation items to the Quicksilver shop: a full suit of Vy'keen-style armour.
  • Progress towards unlocking these items is achieved by community-wide completion of Nexus missions.
  • Please note these items and the relevant progression quest will not unlock until this update is live on all platforms.

• Fixed a number of mission flow issues in standard Nexus missions.
  • Increased the reward from standard Nexus missions.
  • Improved the visuals of the mission start UI in Nexus missions.

• Introduced a number of PC VR and PSVR rendering optimisations.
  • Significantly improved image quality in PSVR: reduced blurriness caused by TAA jitter and fixed low-quality terrain/atmosphere jaggies.
  • Introduced a number of general PC optimisations.
  • Introduced an optimisation to region decoration.

• Increased the stack multiplier on a significant number of products.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented Larval Cores and Hypnotic Eyes from being used as cooking ingredients.
  • Fixed bad data in the Nutrient Refiner recipes for various cheeses and cheese-based products.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented ships/Multi-Tools/etc being rotated in the inventory.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the Blaze Javelin not to work in VR.
  • Fixed an issue that caused players with Rocket Boots to jump when selecting things in the Quick Menu.
  • Rebalanced NPC language encounters so that attempts at using alien words are viewed more positively.
  • Fixed an issue that caused creature bait stored in the cargo inventory to be unavailable.

• Fixed an issue that caused double inputs on some UI screens.
  • Fixed an issue that caused incorrect unit costs to be used when purchasing Exosuit slot upgrades.
  • Improved the audio balance in a number of places, as well as fixing some missing sounds and some incorrectly looping sounds.
  • Fixed an issue that caused NPCs to sometimes face the wrong way on the Nexus.
  • Fixed a number of incorrect and missing control icons.
  • Fixed a number of control conflict issues when plugging multiple gamepads into one PC.
  • Added validation to prevent invalid actions being bound.
  • Fixed a number of stuttering issues when using mouselook on the Steam controller.
  • Fixed an issue where the input for uploading a base screenshot did not work correctly on consoles.

• Fixed repeated triggering of a warning noise when registering specific actions with Steam.
  • Fixed a number of issues where weapons would interfere with Quick Menu use on PC.
  • Fixed a PC controller issue that caused Discovery Page subsections to be incorrectly closed.
  • Fixed a number of colour and texture issues in a specific exotic biome variant.

• Fixed a number of collision issues on the Space Anomaly.
  • Added audio to Cronos' barbeque on the Space Anomaly.
  • Made landing bay seats sittable on the Space Anomaly.
  • Fixed some specific LODing issues on the Space Anomaly.
  • Fixed a number of LODing issues with specific fighter-style starship variants.
  • Fixed a number of collision and visual issues with freighter hangers.
  • Fixed an issue that caused faecium deposits to have an incorrect icon when viewed through the Analysis Visor.
  • Fixed a number of issues with the graphics settings descriptions in the PC options pages.
  • Improved the visuals of a number of mission icons.

• Removed some erroneous automatic chat messages.
  • Added automatic chat messages when transferring items to players not in your current group.
  • Added automatic chat messages when starting missions.
  • Added automatic chat messages when short of ingredients to build a pinned item.

• Fixed a soft lock that could occur when answering the Communicator after swapping ships or summoning ships.
  • Fixed a camera issue that could occur when answering the Communicator when playing in third person.
  • Added a workaround to prevent a permanent black screen when using older AMD drivers.
  • Added a workaround to prevent a crash bug in older AMD drivers.
  • Added a workaround for driver issues with AMD laptops.
  • Fixed a number of rare crashes when testing collision.
  • Fixed a number of inventory-related crashes.
  • Fixed a rare threading crash.
  • Fixed a softlock that could occur when opening the Nexus mission list with the chat window open.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur on PS4 in the Galaxy Map and loading starfield.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when loading very large bases.
  • Fixed a rare networking crash.
  • Fixed a rare memory corruption.
  • Fixed a Linux driver issue.

• Various localised text improvements.

I haven't seen anything about Nexus missions abandoning upon turn-in anywhere in the patch notes. Am I the only one having that issue? I've seen other people post about it but no traction - I even submitted a bug report and nothing has happened.

This is getting a little absurd. One-hit-kills on other ships is only fun for so long. How high have you guys been able to boost damage?

nms-fighter-damage.jpg

Attachments

• nms-fighter-damage.jpg
    nms-fighter-damage.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 93
wow. that is pretty impressive. where did you find the ship?

I sadly don't recall which system in Euclid I found it. Most people don't like the red ones so when I came across it I never shared the location or noted it. There is a coordinate exchange on Reddit where people post portal addresses and directions to finds... Which I did once for a different fighter I'm kitting out, but I kind of feel that those types of shortcuts kill part of the game - so I'm trying to do it the hard way with finding a S-class hauler, explorer, and freighter on my own now.

I stopped playing this until the patches stabilize. Too often having a new patch that breaks mods.

Not only that but MP is so borked our bases are getting turned inside out depending on who logs/loads-in first....

The base I saw two nights ago:
nms.jpg

The base he saw at the same time:
unknown.png

EEn1WPzXUAIcMaa.jpg

Found a system with a couple of planets practically touching. They orbit each other, I think. I was flying toward the one on the right, ran out of fuel, then refueled, and noticed the name changed to the one on the left. I landed on the intended planet which was originally on the right. Took off, and they traded places again. I'll have to land on this 5th planet again and see if they change at all.

I did not realize they had actual orbit dynamics. What I wish they had was zoom out like kerbal space program. planets are just annoying for finding especially when one is behind another.

Agreed on the view option. Planets behind others is annoying.

I'm not sure they orbit or if it was just a bug from them being so close to each other.

latest patch is live

https://www.nomanssky.com/2019/09/beyond-development-update-2/

2.12 Patch Notes

Added new events to the Nexus:

• Occasionally, ‘Encrypted Missions’ will appear on the Nexus mission list. The objectives for these missions are hidden until the mission is in progress, but the rewards are far higher.
  • Each day, every player also has the chance to complete a Nexus mission to earn Quicksilver.

• Added new customisation items to the Quicksilver shop: a full suit of Vy’keen-style armour.
  • Progress towards unlocking these items is achieved by community-wide completion of Nexus missions.

• Fixed a number of mission flow issues in standard Nexus missions.
  • Increased the reward from standard Nexus missions.
  • Improved the visuals of the mission start UI in Nexus missions.

• Introduced a number of PC VR and PSVR rendering optimisations.
  • Significantly improved image quality in PSVR: reduced blurriness caused by TAA jitter and fixed low-quality terrain/atmosphere jaggies.
  • Introduced a number of general PC optimisations.
  • Introduced an optimisation to region decoration.

• Increased the stack multiplier on a significant number of products.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented Larval Cores and Hypnotic Eyes from being used as cooking ingredients.
  • Fixed bad data in the Nutrient Refiner recipes for various cheeses and cheese-based products.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented ships/Multi-Tools/etc being rotated in the inventory.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the Blaze Javelin not to work in VR.
  • Fixed an issue that caused players with Rocket Boots to jump when selecting things in the Quick Menu.
  • Rebalanced NPC language encounters so that attempts at using alien words are viewed more positively.
  • Fixed an issue that caused creature bait stored in the cargo inventory to be unavailable.

• Fixed an issue that caused double inputs on some UI screens.
  • Fixed an issue that caused incorrect unit costs to be used when purchasing Exosuit slot upgrades.
  • Improved the audio balance in a number of places, as well as fixing some missing sounds and some incorrectly looping sounds.
  • Fixed an issue that caused NPCs to sometimes face the wrong way on the Nexus.
  • Fixed a number of incorrect and missing control icons.
  • Fixed a number of control conflict issues when plugging multiple gamepads into one PC.
  • Added validation to prevent invalid actions being bound.
  • Fixed a number of stuttering issues when using mouselook on the Steam controller.
  • Fixed an issue where the input for uploading a base screenshot did not work correctly on consoles.

• Fixed repeated triggering of a warning noise when registering specific actions with Steam.
  • Fixed a number of issues where weapons would interfere with Quick Menu use on PC.
  • Fixed a PC controller issue that caused Discovery Page subsections to be incorrectly closed.
  • Fixed a number of colour and texture issues in a specific exotic biome variant.

• Fixed a number of collision issues on the Space Anomaly.
  • Added audio to Cronos’ barbeque on the Space Anomaly.
  • Made landing bay seats sittable on the Space Anomaly.
  • Fixed some specific LODing issues on the Space Anomaly.
  • Fixed a number of LODing issues with specific fighter-style starship variants.
  • Fixed a number of collision and visual issues with freighter hangers.
  • Fixed an issue that caused faecium deposits to have an incorrect icon when viewed through the Analysis Visor.
  • Fixed a number of issues with the graphics settings descriptions in the PC options pages.
  • Improved the visuals of a number of mission icons.

• Removed some erroneous automatic chat messages.
  • Added automatic chat messages when transferring items to players not in your current group.
  • Added automatic chat messages when starting missions.
  • Added automatic chat messages when short of ingredients to build a pinned item.

• Fixed a soft lock that could occur when answering the Communicator after swapping ships or summoning ships.
  • Fixed a camera issue that could occur when answering the Communicator when playing in third person.
  • Added a workaround to prevent a permanent black screen when using older AMD drivers.
  • Added a workaround to prevent a crash bug in older AMD drivers.
  • Added a workaround for driver issues with AMD laptops.
  • Fixed a number of rare crashes when testing collision.
  • Fixed a number of inventory-related crashes.
  • Fixed a rare threading crash.
  • Fixed a softlock that could occur when opening the Nexus mission list with the chat window open.
  • Fixed a GPU crash that could occur on PS4 in the Galaxy Map and loading starfield.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when loading very large bases.
  • Fixed a rare networking crash.
  • Fixed a rare memory corruption.
  • Fixed a Linux driver issue.

• Various localised text improvements.

NMS is on the verge of being something really amazing. it will be interesting seeing what they come up with next.

Indeed.

My only disappointment as of late was that they cut severly down on drawing distance in order to boost performance. That should be user adjustable.

Indeed.

My only disappointment as of late was that they cut severly down on drawing distance in order to boost performance. That should be user adjustable.

That doesn't bother me too much. What bothers me is randomly "popping" onto the roof of my freighter, with no way back inside except for reloading from my prior save.
It usually happens after debriefing a commander or interacting with storage pods.

Reactions: Auer
like this
I needed a radioactive planet to grow some Gamma Root, and found a radioactive Jungle planet where I have had a small hideout for some time now. I like that its a bit overgrown, and tried to make it look the part as much as possible.

275850_20190923231354_1.png

275850_20190923231328_1.png

just as a tip, you can grow any plant on any world in the trays, there is also a circular cultivation dome that would work.

I like the challenge of difficult enviro's more than the efficient but boring greenhouses.

I guess I'm not a "Factory builder" type player. I also don't mod or dupe or xploit.

I always thought this games best quality was exploration and discovery.
And the journey being a bit challenging with having to work for $$$ and Nanites etc just makes it that much more fun. Immersion...?

Anyway.
Keep exploring folks.

275850_20190923223743_1.png

Hum. So is this fun ?

It can be. Kinda depends on what you want to get out of it.

I'm not sure I agree that the game can be "hardcore" in any way. The basic loop is just grinding for resources (via mining/doing fairly repetitive missions) while at the same time exploring different planets/systems. There's also a base building aspect which has a bit of depth, but is mostly cosmetic in nature. Also, acquiring high-level equipment is basically RNG in that you have to happen to find the best stuff at random, and then hope you can afford it when you find it.

I personally found that using mods to increase mission rewards and heavily reduce the grind made the game far more enjoyable.

It can be. Kinda depends on what you want to get out of it.

I'm not sure I agree that the game can be "hardcore" in any way. The basic loop is just grinding for resources (via mining/doing fairly repetitive missions) while at the same time exploring different planets/systems. There's also a base building aspect which has a bit of depth, but is mostly cosmetic in nature. Also, acquiring high-level equipment is basically RNG in that you have to happen to find the best stuff at random, and then hope you can afford it when you find it.

I personally found that using mods to increase mission rewards and heavily reduce the grind made the game far more enjoyable.

I guess "Hardcore" in NMS is based on the amount of building or exploring etc? Every game has a different "Hardcore". Time played?

You must be very pressed on free time to need faster/bigger rewards, atm NMS is easy when it comes to getting resources and making $$$.
That part is certainly not "Hardcore".

there is a permadeath mode. generally that will not apply once you upgrade your gear and ship. the exception is with the geology grenades, they will instakill you if you are in their explosion radius.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I guess "Hardcore" in NMS is based on the amount of building or exploring etc? Every game has a different "Hardcore". Time played?

You must be very pressed on free time to need faster/bigger rewards, atm NMS is easy when it comes to getting resources and making $$$.
That part is certainly not "Hardcore".

Some of the high-end ships are in the tens of millions of credits, and by default you make what, 100k at most for a mission? Generally less from what I saw.

Felt very grindy to me. Of course now you can get a mining rig set up and make obscene amounts of money, but outside of that the "normal" progression seems extremely slow.

There are tons of ways to make money in this game. tons and tons.

This.

I have around 120mil on me atm, My small ( I mean small compared to others) plant for living glass ops nets me around 15mil a day if I harvest and sell. But I dont do it on a daily basis.
I grow these in native habs so no power needed and I like to visit the different planets anyhow.

Except Coprite which can only grow in planters. And I have a small setup for that on a chill beach base.

I'm small scale. Never feel I lack anything.

I hate base building to research and progress in this game (the inventory is still hot garbage and controls are barely better). Is there another way to progress and explore?

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Back