No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

Photo mode is pretty impressive I must say. Late to the party on this.

Crazy planet.

20190826230930_1.jpg

20190826230247_1.jpg

Pics of tropical planet and planet with TV panels if you can! I've never run into the latter...sounds interesting. :)
Here you go.

View from inside my building:
View from Base.jpg

I built my room hanging over the edge. I plan on making it a floating base.
Base off Plateau.jpg

A high shot
Base Plateau.jpg

These are all TV planet pictures. This is a creature:
TV Creature.jpg

These are some landscape views:
TV Land 2.jpg
TV Land.jpg

and some cubes you can pick up and put at your base.
TV Cubes.jpg

a couple of random shots:
Space.jpg
Deer-Rex.jpg

I found a pretty decent world recently, very cold but has an S-level Radon mine very close to an NPC building, and salvagable scrap all over the place. Threw down a little base and a teleporter so I could get back to it.

One thing that is cool is that you can teleport back to any base computer regardless of whether or not you have a teleporter at the base. Of course, that's a one-way trip until you can make it back to a space station, but still pretty nice.

If anyone has some advice for "dealing" with Sentinels, I'm all ears!

Some planets feel straight out of that Black Mirror episode "Metalhead"....
tenor.gif

(I managed to craft my first Boltcaster last night, but all that seems to do is piss em off and rally more to my base)

You don't really "need" to deal with them unless you want to. This is my current loadout :

m4kqnm0.png

the plasma launcher (NOT GEOLOGY CANNON, THEY LOOK THE SAME) with 3 s-class mods will one shot them, the dogs, and the armored limbs on the walker.
3 of them + some bullets will smash a security door. you are safe inside.

I also use pulse splitter. Note, when finding s-class mods for pulse splitter you may get a "reflect" buff instead of damage buff.
It is fine if you want it, but you only ever need it on 1, not 3, and probably wasted there. You can get around this.
Mods you install will always have the same stats... UNLESS... you install other mods first.
So save game, buy mod, install, check... not good? Then reload, buy trash mod + mod, install trash mod then mod, check... not good? Keep repeating with additional trash mods.

easy fix, solar array -> battery -> proximity switch -> teleport :)

Yeah, it's not hard to make a quick teleporter setup (I don't think you really even need the proximity switch, though that is a cool idea), but it's just nice to know you can get to the base regardless.

without the switch the teleporter will quickly drain the battery at night, even though it is not being "used"

If anyone has some advice for "dealing" with Sentinels, I'm all ears!

Some planets feel straight out of that Black Mirror episode "Metalhead"....
View attachment 183204

(I managed to craft my first Boltcaster last night, but all that seems to do is piss em off and rally more to my base)

Get some S-class upgrades for your Exosuit shield, and some S-class upgrades for whatever your preferred weapon is. With a maxed out shield and Boltcaster I can melt through them like butter, even the giant walkers.

Also keep in mind that if it says "Reinforced/Armored" on a part, it's generally faster to burn through it with the mining laser rather than shooting it.

without the switch the teleporter will quickly drain the battery at night, even though it is not being "used"

I guess it depends on the "daytime hours" of a planet, but generally I've seen that the battery will discharge slower than the amount of time it takes to get back to daytime, so YMMV on that.

Haha that's awesome! Thank you!

During the daytime, the planet reminded me of Borderlands, but I liked the night better for the shots, made the screens pop more.

There is so much to do in this game, I hope that it's around for many, many years. My initial save, before the update they added vehicles, I played a ton, but eventually got bored. Now, with hours of missions, and mining, building, etc, I don't think I'll ever get bored.

I just bought Days Gone and Far Cry 5... I have a feeling it'll be quite a while before I play them again.

Picked the game up a couple days ago, been enjoying it so far, decided to start trying to make some money fast with trading last night, papa needs a new hauler lol.

I saw this posted over on Reddit a little while back, not sure if people here are aware:

With a medium or large Refiner, you can essentially duplicate stellar metals (Copper, Cadmium, Emeril, Indium) and generate a TON of Chromatic Metal as well.

For whatever reason, 1 Stellar Metal + 1 Chromatic Metal = 4 of that Stellar Metal in a refiner. So, you can basically create an infinite loop of generating more metal than you put in.

Probably not a bad way to get some fast cash as well, selling the higher-end metals like Indium.

I guess there are other things you can do as well, like break down Lemmium/Dirty Bronze/other alloys to get a lot of whatever base material they are made from (which are subsequently worth more than the single alloy).

Also, supposedly you can use Oxygen to duplicate other gasses/materials as well in the refiner. I haven't tried that yet, but the Chromatic metal thing works very well.

welp, found an s-class scanner. had to cry a bit then started breaking down my old scanner. sigh
View attachment 183374

The inability to move technology between ships/multi-tools is crap design, IMO.

If it was possible to get blueprints for S-class mods, it wouldn't be as bad. But having them only available via RNG makes the whole process a chore.

I'm fine with it. I have already maxed the new scanner. I mean it is grind, but it adds a bit of weight to the process.
There is nothing special about the mods, about every station has 1 to 3 S-class mods that I was able to equip.
I have a planet where I have tagged 5 abandoned sites. I gathered the whispering eggs, convert to nanites, then just pick random space stations in a teleporter.
It only took about 6 stations to fully kit it out.
The S-Class adds about 300 damage over the other so it isn't a super huge improvement.

I'm fine with it. I have already maxed the new scanner. I mean it is grind, but it adds a bit of weight to the process.
There is nothing special about the mods, about every station has 1 to 3 S-class mods that I was able to equip.
I have a planet where I have tagged 5 abandoned sites. I gathered the whispering eggs, convert to nanites, then just pick random space stations in a teleporter.
It only took about 6 stations to fully kit it out.
The S-Class adds about 300 damage over the other so it isn't a super huge improvement.

Wow, I had no idea you could refine stuff down to nanites.

I guess that's another thing about this game, it really does fuck all to tell you what you are actually capable of doing in the game in terms of refining, building, etc.

The strategy on whispering eggs is to excavate the area underneath, but not too deep, as you can hit ocean in some spots. Do it so the eggs can roll to one spot. Then do it under each. Hit your ship to save game, then get in your holes and mine the eggs. Ignore monstrosities, they won't attack (much) when you are in a hole. The bases appear to keep your excavations intact, so you can plop a base module and repeat next day. about 1300 nanites each time, although some are less.

The last update they made changes where NPCs could wander in and out of the habitats. The dog sentinels would always glitch into the floor. so not surprising.

How far is everyone in the Artemis story line?

I put his soul into the simulation, and told him. He has to contemplate things, and, I haven't heard from him since. I wonder what killing him would of done?

I am running the story lines for the first time, I youtubed it, apparently
putting him into the simulation is the cruel choice, since he will be forever alone, and the others disapprove of that choice

the simulation... also is some type of recursive metaphor for the game.

I am running the story lines for the first time, I youtubed it, apparently
putting him into the simulation is the cruel choice, since he will be forever alone, and the others disapprove of that choice

the simulation... also is some type of recursive metaphor for the game.

Apollo said I'm a good friend and made the right choice. Nada didn't care either way. He's not really alone, he can communicate with others outside of the simulation. I'll have to see how it unfolds as I keep playing, so far, it doesn't seem to be the cruel choice. Just on paper.

Anybody doing frigates? Just more free stuff. This is what I figured out. Best ships and cheapest to start with are going to be C class with main stats in the higher 20s. You have to fly up to them where you see groups of ships, then talk and see the stats. I had gotten some S/A/B class but those are eh.... the final stats are capped based on the starting stats. With missions the C class will become better and stats will increase and if you can find some 29, that will become a damn good ship. There are also support ships, which have pitiful stats but apparently make the missions run better. Sending ships out needs frigate fuel, which is tritium and dihydrogen. The latter can be refined out of tritium. Currently you can't get rid of garbage ships... so you just send them out on the wrong mission types and don't repair them until they die. You can send up to 5 ships per mission, one should maybe be a support ship. It just costs more fuel, so lots of asteroid mining.

Apollo said I'm a good friend and made the right choice. Nada didn't care either way. He's not really alone, he can communicate with others outside of the simulation. I'll have to see how it unfolds as I keep playing, so far, it doesn't seem to be the cruel choice. Just on paper.

Either way it doesn't really matter, ultimately. There's no lasting consequence of either choice.

Got tired of not being able to afford the big shiny ships, setup 27 medium refiners and am pumping out a million units every minute, about to double that to 2 million.

Interesting looking creatures. Thankfully they're friendly!

At that far distance and it being a screenshot that can't convey movement, I thought they were some tall source of carbon.:LOL:
But then I looked closer, and indeed they are some interesting and strange looking creatures!

What an innovative location!
I wonder if it would offer protection from that planet's sentinels, or would they be impervious to radiation?

On this heavily radiated planet where you really cant be out and about much there are very few sentinels and they are pretty mellow...

I like it's alien landscape and get a kick out of growing gamma root in the wild there for an occasional harvest if I need quick cash (living glass)

What a cool location!
I wonder if your location offers protection from sentinels or are they impervious to radiation?
weather/effects don't appear to bother sentients/lifeforms. you want a lush planet with low sentient activity for a base.
If you are having problems with them then just equip a plasma cannon with 3 S rank mods. It will oneshot them, dogs, walker armor, x3 for security doors.

btw: in addition to 3 races you have 3 guilds. there is a real easy way to increase standing for all of them at the same time and earn tons of nanites and money. That is to go to your local space station and accept missions to kill or scan creatures, plants and sentinels. There are other missions but I ignore them since they can only be done one at a time or they waste time. Then use the teleport and do the same for a prior location. Repeat for about 20 locations. Then go to a planet and kill + scan everything you can. All the related missions will complete at once. You can go back to the space station and turn them all in.

weather/effects don't appear to bother sentients/lifeforms. you want a lush planet with low sentient activity for a base.
If you are having problems with them then just equip a plasma cannon with 3 S rank mods. It will oneshot them, dogs, walker armor, x3 for security doors.

Yeah, just don't accidentally fire the plasma thing near yourself, you will die instantly.

Unfortunately, most of the menus require you to "back out" using right mouse...and guess which mouse button fires the plasma cannon...

Does anyone have a bug from manufacturing facility where you do not get a reward when you answer correctly? If so, if there a fixed for it?

Does anyone have a bug from manufacturing facility where you do not get a reward when you answer correctly? If so, if there a fixed for it?

Seems like I ran into that once. I simply reloaded my last save from when I hopped out of my ship after landing at the landing location that's near the facility and answered the question again. If I'm honest, I always reload if I answer the question incorrectly because who knows when I'll encounter the next manufacturing facility and I'm not going to let the fact that it takes so long to learn enough words to decipher the "question" inhibit my ability to reap the rewards. Yes it's more realistic that it would take time to learn their language to the point that you understood it fluently but that's a grind I don't want to endure (particularly when there is something at stake). So I don't use the language mod, but I "cheat" that way. No different than reloading a quick save when you make a poor choice in any other game, except here it's not about skill. When only 1/4-1/3 of the words in a question are understandable and the rest is cryptic, it's often blind luck choosing the correct answer.

Another bug I've encountered is when you blow open a security door, enter the facility, and reload your last save. A few times when I've reloaded, the "status" of the facility is reset (meaning the security door is back and there are no alarms going off). Just have to keep reloading when that happens.

Just another in the list of small but annoying bugs, but not major enough to take away any lasting enjoyment.

Back