No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

^^ I can't really disagree with any of those points. A+ for effort by Hello Games for sure. I guess I just want to see that price drop of some kind hold to keep the momentum running on their side.

^^ I can't really disagree with any of those points. A+ for effort by Hello Games for sure. I guess I just want to see that price drop of some kind hold to keep the momentum running on their side.

With all the press they have been getting I believe it is definitely good for them. I think I read the other day on Steam there were 400k concurrent players so what they're doing is working, and with the deals for the games i've been seeing from other retailers I believe things are going well for them.

I am curious from here where they will go. They have essentially been expanding the game for the last two years and they can't perpetually create new content for free so I am wondering A; how long they'll be supporting NMS, and B; what their next project could potentially be if they are going to wind down support for NMS. They very well could continue supporting NMS and adding more stuff but instead start charging for it which I would be totally okay with as long as the new content was engaging enough.

That's also valid. I do think some fair discounted price would probably do them some good. Even something like $40-45. I think once the dust settles from this update, all the minor fixes are in for those having trouble with it, and they know where they stand from refunds versus new sales, I would imagine they'll eventually revisit the price.

I'd be open to paying a fair price for larger future updates if they eventually needed to do that to keep going. I'd also be fine with the game as it currently sits, though I will say for the 50,003rd time that I want gas giants in the game. :D

I disagree that this game is, or was ever, worth $60. But of course YMMV.

Y'don't say... :p

I have mixed feelings about it. I'm certainly glad that I didn't pay $60 for less than what we have now - I felt that I got my money's worth at $30, and this NEXT update is game-changing (literally). Technically it's probably worth the $60 now than ever before, but that is offset by its age so...meh.

I won't dismiss your criticisms of the game, though - at least you've actually played it. Haven't found one game yet that everyone agrees on, good or bad. I fully agree that it can be grindy and tedious by nature, but the cool things about the game kind of offset that for me. I think it's more fun to explore and gather resources somewhat casually than do the mine mine mine grind nonstop in order to try to progress hardcore. I'm happy just sort of wandering around like a nomad, taking in the beauty and taking in the cool and eerie/mysterious aspects of the game. At least we can have good discussion about it here...the hate from some people is strong in the Front Page News thread, many from people who haven't even tried it. Love it or hate it, at least we have an actual full game here, unlike Star Citizen.

Y'don't say... :p

I have mixed feelings about it. I'm certainly glad that I didn't pay $60 for less than what we have now - I felt that I got my money's worth at $30, and this NEXT update is game-changing (literally). Technically it's probably worth the $60 now than ever before, but that is offset by its age so...meh.

I won't dismiss your criticisms of the game, though - at least you've actually played it. Haven't found one game yet that everyone agrees on, good or bad. I fully agree that it can be grindy and tedious by nature, but the cool things about the game kind of offset that for me. I think it's more fun to explore and gather resources somewhat casually than do the mine mine mine grind nonstop in order to try to progress hardcore. I'm happy just sort of wandering around like a nomad, taking in the beauty and taking in the cool and eerie/mysterious aspects of the game. At least we can have good discussion about it here...the hate from some people is strong in the Front Page News thread, many from people who haven't even tried it. Love it or hate it, at least we have an actual full game here, unlike Star Citizen.

Yeah, I realize my opinion on the game is probably well-known at this point. :p

I don't necessarily think it's an outright bad game, and I admire the work that Hello Games has put into it post-release, especially amongst all the (justified, IMO) criticism. Many companies probably would have tried to charge for such updates these days.

It just doesn't appeal to me (and it sounds like a fair few others) from a gameplay perspective. If all you want to do is go to different planets and walk around, I guess it accomplishes that okay, although I felt the randomization was not random enough to make it still feel fresh after I had been to several planets. Hopefully that's improved. If you don't care about progression or you don't care about having to grind, I guess you'd enjoy it more than me as well.

As far as the value perspective, I guess I don't view a randomized system that almost entirely generates the "content" as being worth as much as, say, a Fallout or Witcher-type game that is meticulously crafted and curated. $30 at this point seems fair for this game, to me.

And Steam tells me that I have put 21 hours into the game, FWIW. I may reinstall it and check out the new update, I suppose I can at least give Hello Games that.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
That's cool man. Turn-based strategy games and games with tons and tons of micromanagement don't typically appeal to me, either (for example). Yet others LOVE them. Some people sink tons of hours into Civilization, Final Fantasy, Pokemon, etc...and I just have no real desire to play any of those.

I just wanted a space game with total freedom and no loading screens, which NMS accomplishes for me. Sure, sometimes I wish that there was lots more to do, or more objective-driven missions that rewarded you with cool things, kind of like a GTA in space I guess. But I managed to get 40-50+ hours of enjoyment out of it the first time, and I find that it's a great game to jump into when I just want to chill out because of the lack of urgent missions, story line, linear progression and constant threats.

Yeah, I'd say definitely give the update a try given all of the praise its received. Atlas Rises supposedly changed the game in major ways and this one sounds at least as substantial, going by the patch notes. I didn't get to fire it up last night, but will for sure tonight or sometime this weekend. I certainly don't expect you to go from "meh" to "OMG this is now my game of the decade!" or anything, but you might find that enough things changed that you can now derive a little more enjoyment out of it and actually want to put a few more hours into it.

Considering what they've shaped the game into and the support it continues to receive, I can only imagine what a NMS 2 might be like. Now that could be something really special if they changed a few things. Less grind, more planet variety (especially in terms of terrain and geographical features, etc. - the colors and life on each planet are already quite varied), more cool gadgets, more random structures and ships (one of my niggles is that all of the outposts and downed freighters, while random in location, all look exactly the same), etc. It's been a while but when I was playing more, I had a laundry list of things that I thought would be awesome if they added or changed. As I'm sure you do.

So yeah, I love space and many space games. One of my biggest disappointments recently was reading your thoughts on Everspace. I was on the verge of buying it during the last Steam sale and honestly, your comments in the Best Space Game thread were probably what made me hold off. It looked so damn cool in the screenshots. I might still give it a try if it gets cheap enough. Same with Elite Dangerous - initially sounded really cool, but I read some things that kind of put me off. I might give Rebel Galaxy a shot, though.

So yeah, I love space and many space games. One of my biggest disappointments recently was reading your thoughts on Everspace. I was on the verge of buying it during the last Steam sale and honestly, your comments in the Best Space Game thread were probably what made me hold off. It looked so damn cool in the screenshots. I might still give it a try if it gets cheap enough. Same with Elite Dangerous - initially sounded really cool, but I read some things that kind of put me off. I might give Rebel Galaxy a shot, though.

Me too. I really want Star Citizen (specifically Squadron 42) to work out. Have doubts that it will at this point, but still. I want to get that Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer experience back, and so far nothing has really hit that for me.

As far as Everspace, my opinion may not have been that popular here but reviews seem to mirror what I was seeing. If you don't like roguelikes with glacial progression then I wouldn't bother.

Rebel Galaxy is fun, but do keep in mind that it's not a space sim. It's a third person, 2D-plane space game, sort of similar to Space Pirates and Zombies.

One series that I really wanted to like was the X series by Egosoft, specifically X3 and X:Rebirth. X3 is pretty good, though there is a huge learning curve and ultimately it feels a bit...clunky, to me. X:Rebirth was more streamlined but unfortunately it seems like they also cut out a lot of what made X3 good, so it's a mixed bag. Plus, neither of those games are multiplayer in any way.

Me too. I really want Star Citizen (specifically Squadron 42) to work out. Have doubts that it will at this point, but still. I want to get that Wing Commander/Starlancer/Freelancer experience back, and so far nothing has really hit that for me.

As far as Everspace, my opinion may not have been that popular here but reviews seem to mirror what I was seeing. If you don't like roguelikes with glacial progression then I wouldn't bother.

Rebel Galaxy is fun, but do keep in mind that it's not a space sim. It's a third person, 2D-plane space game, sort of similar to Space Pirates and Zombies.

One series that I really wanted to like was the X series by Egosoft, specifically X3 and X:Rebirth. X3 is pretty good, though there is a huge learning curve and ultimately it feels a bit...clunky, to me. X:Rebirth was more streamlined but unfortunately it seems like they also cut out a lot of what made X3 good, so it's a mixed bag. Plus, neither of those games are multiplayer in any way.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Star Citizen / SQ42 fill in that void. I've actually been more encouraged by what I've heard lately about it than when I backed it early on with my meager 315.

I think the whole thing with NMS is (and someone else said this a couple of pages back I think) is that it's not that type of game. Going into it thinking it is, will probably disappoint (as you've seen). As someone that has hundreds of hours in Terraria though, coming at NMS as a survival game player who loves sci-fi space themes, surreal artwork, and tons of exploring, a bit of combat, and some building... It totally delivers.

I can see how the exploring would be monotonous to someone looking for in-depth combat, smuggling missions, and things like that. Some of the worlds can be pretty samey. However, when you hit one that is completely off the charts different from everything you've come across to that point (and I've done this a few times now) you realize how much more there is to it. It's just hidden in trillions of other worlds. The devs actually said as much. They have some worlds that are semi-crafted to be different, or be full of treasure. I've come across a small handful.

The combat used to be pretty lame, but now that the ships are classed differently, and their specs actually tend to matter more, I'm finding it more rewarding. I'm still using my ship from my old save, because I never found something better. It's surprisingly nimble. I took out a cluster of pirates last night that were attacking a freighter. I never would have had the patience for that in the early version(s) of the game.

Now that I've started a fleet I'm getting hints of management games (which while far from my favorite style of games) throws a little more variety into this.

You may find that you enjoy this update a bit more, but I don't think you'll get a ton of mileage out of it, knowing your tastes. It would probably go just that much farther toward justifying your purchase though. Maybe find a friend to jump in with you. Judging by how much time I've wasted in games like Giants (with the little gyro-copters) and Borderlands with the vehicles, getting a couple of friends in some Exocraft vehicles could yield some fun too. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
They issued a patch yesterday that broke freighter hyperdrives and a patch today that fixed them. There are still a variety of bugs and issues which I'm hoping get smoothed out over the coming days. I'm still seeing frigate bugs (falling through floors, damage inconsistencies) and graphics issues with my base. I don't have a blueprint analyzer.. Not so much a bug but a game mechanic is the sheer amount of stuff I now have, and all the inventory it takes up. The tech modules really should stack more, 10 isn't enough especially with old saves where I ended up with a bunch of stacks after dismantling all the old tech.

I am not loading my Survival mode save yet, I'm scared. ^^

NEXT Update 1.52
No Man's Sky - Hello Games

Hello everyone,

Thanks again, everyone, for playing NEXT, exploring the universe and all its new features, and letting us know about any issues you've experienced. All of this is incredibly helpful for us in ironing out any major issues quickly and safely.

We have now released update 1.52, which includes the fixes detailed below.

Bug fixes
  • Fixed an issue that will restore more savegames for players who saved with partially repaired tech.
  • Fixed an issue where players who had partially repaired a piece of broken technology would have an incorrect item in the repair interaction
  • Fixed an issue where players in underwater bases played the wrong animations
  • Fixed an issue where freighters incorrectly reported they did not have enough fuel to warp
  • Fixed a crash in the base-building system
  • Improved garbage collection and reduced memory footprint of physics
  • Prevented occasional crash in animation
  • Reduce memory footprint of planetary textures from space

Thank you,

Hello Games.

They issued a patch yesterday that broke freighter hyperdrives and a patch today that fixed them. There are still a variety of bugs and issues which I'm hoping get smoothed out over the coming days. I'm still seeing frigate bugs (falling through floors, damage inconsistencies) and graphics issues with my base. I don't have a blueprint analyzer.. Not so much a bug but a game mechanic is the sheer amount of stuff I now have, and all the inventory it takes up. The tech modules really should stack more, 10 isn't enough especially with old saves where I ended up with a bunch of stacks after dismantling all the old tech.

I am not loading my Survival mode save yet, I'm scared. ^^

That explains my freighter issue. Just read about that a little bit ago. (the not being able to jump thing)

Yeah, inventory should stack much better. I also think maybe better categorization between single raw elements, created compounds, tech, random shit (like trade items) etc. Maybe tabs for each type of item.

Like a totally new game, so many little touches that aren't in the notes.
The clouds.. from space.. that leave shadows, light effects, plant density, poly density, textures, game play everything has been seriously polished.
I don't care about losing shit now because it's like starting again.

I will say that the frigate repair thing, when I'm not falling through the floor, is kinda fun. It uses low resources mineable from asteroids (platinum.. ugh) and navigating their hodge-podge walkways and ladders is very space-industrial. Now if my frigates could just do a mission without all breaking.. I swear I sent FIVE B-class frigates on a mission equal to their rating, and four of them came back broken. The last one came back, with no rewards.

Just finished re-downloading the game (forgot I had deleted it when I switched to my new array of SSDs)...about to hop back in now. /dons space suit

Well, the game has even more eye candy with the new update. My starting planet hasn't been terrible in terms of difficulty, but the new mechanics (combined with the fact that it's been 6 months since I last played the game) meant that it took me a bit to figure things out and get going. New materials, the portable refiner, etc. I was able to get my ship repaired and airborne after a bit but there are lots of materials that I need to locate, things that I want to visit, and items that I need to craft in order to do cool things. This update (combined with starting over) is definitely going to breathe new life into the game for me. If you found the previous iteration a total drag I don't think this is going to turn the ship around for you, but if you liked the base game it's a definite improvement in several areas and if you've already purchased NMS it's well worth trying just for S&Gs.

These are just first impressions of course. I will update as I play more of it. Gonna go back in now and fly to that ringed planet!

upload_2018-7-28_2-29-58.png

I screwed up. I set my portable refiner down somewhere and now I can't find it. What do I do ? Can I even pick it back up?

This first planet is getting a little tedious for me. And it's too fucking cold :)

"portable"

Yeah you can pick it back up, and have it take a slot in your inventory (if you can find it).

That's like what I did. I found a wrecked ship and added it to my garage. But I took off and now I can't find it. I spent over an hour flying around where I think I was but I guess there is no way to find it. :(

Build a new one? Seriously it'll save you a lot of trouble than trying to find it. I have lost really good wrecked ships that I could never find again in my first attempt at this game at launch. They now at least make it easier you can technically just build a base at any decent wreck so you can find your way back, but it wasn't an option when the game was released.

That's like what I did. I found a wrecked ship and added it to my garage. But I took off and now I can't find it. I spent over an hour flying around where I think I was but I guess there is no way to find it. :(
Can't you just pull it up in the summon vehicles menu, or does that not work for wrecked ones?

Can't you just pull it up in the summon vehicles menu, or does that not work for wrecked ones?

I tried that but it says something like "unable to summon since it can't fly". Something like that.

So...
Turns out there is a way to get your base back, for the most part.
So...
I'm gonna stick with it but no way starting over. And I still have my warp drives.

Anyway. Just rescued a freighter and the dude is offering it to me for free. B class with 31 slots 4 technology slots.
Should I take it? Or is this a new thing? Will the next freighter I rescue be offered for free and be A class with 50 slots?
Your thoughts please.

Now what's the trick to the science terminal? I have all the components and it's ready to go. It even places itself in certain wall corners but no matter what I do...invalid position. Getting tired of this.

Do I need to get the scientist first?

Last edited:
help any?

Maybe. Thanks.

I did some of that by accident...will get more methodical later.

EDIT: It worked. I created a cubed room, no windows, no nothing and it worked. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm kind of pissed that basically all of my exosuit, multi tool and ship upgrades are now "obsolete".

Last edited:
So...
Turns out there is a way to get your base back, for the most part.
So...
I'm gonna stick with it but no way starting over. And I still have my warp drives.

Anyway. Just rescued a freighter and the dude is offering it to me for free. B class with 31 slots 4 technology slots.
Should I take it? Or is this a new thing? Will the next freighter I rescue be offered for free and be A class with 50 slots?
Your thoughts please.

From what I've seen and read, the first freighter you rescue is free. I don't know if you decline it if the next one is also free.

From what I've seen and read, the first freighter you rescue is free. I don't know if you decline it if the next one is also free.

Hmmm...

So, it might be interesting to note, the B freighter is after I reloaded a save. The first freighter I was offered was a C, I though to myself after I accepted it that I had done a bad thing so I reloaded. I warped to the same system and sure enough, battle in progress but this time I got offered a B. Maybe I just keep reloading and fighting those fighters until I get an A or S.

I'm kind of pissed that basically all of my exosuit, multi tool and ship upgrades are now "obsolete".

Yeah... It's a real sharp stick in the eye. I would be embarrassed for anyone to have seen me when I figured out that all of my best layed plans had been subverted. It was not pretty.

Save all of the technology modules that you get for "melting" them. The nanites come fast and easy. I am consoling myself with those facts and just trying to have fun reconfiguring.

Rock Paper Shotgun was complaining they made all crafting overly complicated.... Is that so?

Still can’t find my portable miner.

How do I find out what it takes to build a new one ?

Rock Paper Shotgun was complaining they made all crafting overly complicated.... Is that so?
There's more to it.
Previously, ships and multitools were "Mr. Fusion" powered, as in you could take raw materials like Plutonium or carbon and just jam it in and it would work. Now, they both use unique crafted items (or rare materials). Ships need launch fuel to take off, which is crafted. Tools use specific ammo for each mode, which is all crafted. It makes running headfirst into a sentinel engagement much less spontaneous, and due to the new planet geologies they have successfully created situations where players are getting stranded on planets due to lack of resources to craft launch fuel. I've had people dropping into my instance via multiplayer JUST to get resources to get off the planet they are stuck on in their single player game. That's.. kinda tacky and wrecks the immersion.

Speaking of multiplayer, apparently there's no way to fully disable it and there are reports of people getting griefed by people randomly joining their games, particularly in permadeath mode. Sigh..

Not able to check ingame atm but I think if you hit the "Z" key to bring up the build menu, cycle through and find it, it will be listed and I think you can pin the recipe to make a mini mission that will list what is needed.... I think..

Still can’t find my portable miner.

How do I find out what it takes to build a new one ?

So, any idea how I can get both of my ships to be on my freighter? I minimally fixed a crashed ship and traded it for something more usable at a space station. Obviously, I had to leave my starter ship behind to fly the new one away, and now I can't figure out how to get both ships to be in my freighter. Since it's part of the point of owning a freighter, I know it's supposed to be possible. I've tried warping my freighter after a Google search showed doing that fixed it for some people, but it did nothing for me.

Not able to check ingame atm but I think if you hit the "Z" key to bring up the build menu, cycle through and find it, it will be listed and I think you can pin the recipe to make a mini mission that will list what is needed.... I think..

So much to learn.... :)

Back