No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

Nice on the patch! Can't wait to get back to this game. I've been out of town (until yesterday) but will definitely be playing more tonight/tomorrow. (mixed with Quake breaks...) :D

I've been wanting a better ship as well, but the one I have has a ton of cargo space, and looks half-decent, if a little lop-sided. (small cockpit, one large engine on one side) I suppose it's a bit unique, but...

Why oh why did they make storage containers so effing big, yet only hold five slots of 1,000 mats each? Lol

Why can't we just add more slots to one container? Lol

I've got all 10 sitting in a row and my base looks retarded now.

I color Coated them all too for ease of organizing.

Cool!

On my fourth system hop towards some Atlas thing.

I was pretty happy that my spunky explorer class A ship ("Chaffed Nuts") brought down two different pirates. FYI - I am calling my ship "Chaffed Nuts" since it's shaped like a hanging sack and red.

Found the flora/fauna +1 multi tool upgrades so that should help. Finally met all three races.. it was so much easier being in Gek territory when they just wanted money for words!

Massively disappointed in the ship qualities popping into trading outposts, space stations, or that are downed. My little 19 cargo hold, Class A Explorer is feeling cramped.

Lol @ ship name (and the reasoning behind it).

I noticed that the Explorer type ships have a class bonus on the hyperdrive. Does that just mean that you can travel further on a charge? In my Class A Shuttle, sometimes I'll have to stop and recharge my hyperdrive if I'm trying to make it to a very distant location. Guessing the Explorer would go further between charges...

And yeah, I'm with you on feeling cramped for space even with 23 cargo slots. When I bought this ship, I had about 2 million in the bank. I'm currently up to 5 million but it still feels like I'm a looong way from being able to afford any of the big haulers with 40+ slots. I guess that makes sense given how big this game is but it's going to be a long time before I can afford anything that can haul a ton. Maybe I'll luck up and there'll be a Class C Hauler with plenty of space that's semi-affordable (25 million instead of 75+). :confused:

Correct.. going farther on a bump.. not that I am going for long jumps but definitely has some giddyup. I may bump the engines more to out pace pirates.

I haven't played this game in about a year or so- I remember having serious frame rate issues after playing for a while. I re-installed earlier this evening having read about the new updates coming out on my new system and now I'm beginning to experience random "has stopped responding" errors crashing to desktop. :(

Lol @ ship name (and the reasoning behind it).

I noticed that the Explorer type ships have a class bonus on the hyperdrive. Does that just mean that you can travel further on a charge? In my Class A Shuttle, sometimes I'll have to stop and recharge my hyperdrive if I'm trying to make it to a very distant location. Guessing the Explorer would go further between charges...

And yeah, I'm with you on feeling cramped for space even with 23 cargo slots. When I bought this ship, I had about 2 million in the bank. I'm currently up to 5 million but it still feels like I'm a looong way from being able to afford any of the big haulers with 40+ slots. I guess that makes sense given how big this game is but it's going to be a long time before I can afford anything that can haul a ton. Maybe I'll luck up and there'll be a Class C Hauler with plenty of space that's semi-affordable (25 million instead of 75+). :confused:

Take out everything from your inventory.
Grab yourself a stack of zinc(for your suit) and a stack of plutonium (for ship and mining tool)
Find a planet that has mass amounts of gold.
Mine, mine, mine and sell.

Rinse and repeat.

You can easily hit several million in a few hours by just doing this.

It's a pain in the ass, but it pays off when you stick to the plan. You can get those ships in no time!
Just imagine how much more gold you'll be able to store with all that extra space!

There are other ways to make more, but if you don't have a lot of slots to work with, and or don't have a base to store stuff, this is one of the first things I'd recommend for saving up money.

Last edited:
Take out everything from your inventory.
Grab yourself a stack of zinc(for your suit) and a stack of plutonium (for ship and mining tool)
Find a planet that has mass amounts of gold.
Mine, mine, mine and sell.

Rinse and repeat.

You can easily hit several million in a few hours by just doing this.

It's a pain in the ass, but it pays off when you stick to the plan. You can get those ships in no time!
Just imagine how much more gold you'll be able to store with all that extra space!

There are other ways to make more, but if you don't have a lot of slots to work with, and or don't have a base to store stuff, this is one of the first things I'd recommend for saving up money.

Thanks, dude. Yeah I've been hitting up gold deposits every now and then but I was trying to sort of rotate what I mined because (apparently as of 1.3) when you sell a lot of something, the value tanks for a while. Do you think this is still the best way? If so, I'll be a gold digger who will make Drake's girlfriends seem like amateurs...

Thanks, dude. Yeah I've been hitting up gold deposits every now and then but I was trying to sort of rotate what I mined because (apparently as of 1.3) when you sell a lot of something, the value tanks for a while. Do you think this is still the best way? If so, I'll be a gold digger who will make Drake's girlfriends seem like amateurs...
I'd still try it.
But if you start seeing the value per unit go down, switch to Emeril.
And then switch solar systems. I'm pretty sure each solar system has a different economy, so I believe the value for these resources would still be high, once you've changed systems.

By the way, if you have a base, they've just added the ability to teleport from space station to space station(no more needing to port back to base and then select another SS) , this will save you a ton of time.

Last edited:
Ugh, I haven't had a chance to play this much at all, and I've really wanted to. I have guests in town from England though, and we've been out enjoying the sun, water, boats, alcohol, etc. I'm definitely all partied out now though, so I should be able to get back to it shortly. :D Some laid back exploration is just what I need now. hehehe

Somehow, I managed to get a few sessions in before outright crash direct to desktop over the weekend!

I found a distress beacon and a busted up ship with a lot more cargo holds and a bump in a modifier for ship damage. Some slots were damaged and required units to repair, but I transferred most of my stuff before switching over. Question I have is, for installed equipment like the hyperdrive, there's no way to uninstall from the old ship and transfer these over to the new ship, correct?

No, and sadly as far as I can tell, you can't transfer over resources that are inside the hyperdrive, either. Seems like you lose all that stuff.

I would really like it when you got the chance for a new multitool from an NPC, it would let you break down your existing upgrades before trading. If you close out of the menu, you lose the chance. Really quite lame.

No, and sadly as far as I can tell, you can't transfer over resources that are inside the hyperdrive, either. Seems like you lose all that stuff.

I would really like it when you got the chance for a new multitool from an NPC, it would let you break down your existing upgrades before trading. If you close out of the menu, you lose the chance. Really quite lame.

Yeah, I have a list of minor gripes like that. One is that I wish there was a way to upload all of your new discoveries at once. When you've visited several planets and have found dozens of new lifeforms and waypoints it's needlessly time consuming to have to upload each one individually. Like guys, keep the option in case people want to rename their discoveries but please add an "Upload All" button somewhere.

If there's one saving grace about scenarios like you described, it's that the game saves so frequently that your last save is often just a few minutes old. So if you goof up like that you can usually back up 2-3 minutes for a re-do.

Anti matter/warp cell takes maybe a minute to gather the resources and recreate. It's more time consuming to think about what if than to just recreate it.
IIRC ships that you purchase, will have a warp drive already. Only the crashed ones are usually missing one. And the only reason to find a crashed ship is to add +1 to your usual inventory count from your old ship. And considering you can do this over and over and over again, until you're completely exhausted from this rinse and repeat method, you don't need a warp drive until you're really trying to leave your current solar system. It's a pain in the ass in the beginning, I agree. But as you progress, I find this is a pretty issue to deal with.
  • 1x Electron Vapor
  • 50x Heridium
  • 20x Zinc
Electron Vapors are cheap(50 carbon and 100 plutonium to make suspension fluid) , heridium and zinc are practically everywhere.

I'm pretty sure the devs left out the ability to transfer or dismantle warp drives due to essentially not follow through with the mission to get the recipe, as they intended you to.
And or stocking up on warp cells by just going from crashed ship to crashed ship, without really working to get the resources to create them ourselves.

The only pain the ass for the hyperdrive itself is dynamic resonators, but seriously, these are a dime a dozen. You can easily find at least one at every check point, scattered through out the loot containers.

But that's just me.

Last edited:
Anti matter/warp cell takes maybe a minute to gather the resources and recreate. It's more time consuming to think about what if than to just recreate it.
IIRC ships that you purchase, will have a warp drive already. Only the crashed ones are usually missing one. And the only reason to find a crashed ship is to add +1 to your usual inventory count from your old ship. And considering you can do this over and over and over again, until you're completely exhausted from this rinse and repeat method, you don't need a warp drive until you're really trying to leave your current solar system. It's a pain in the ass in the beginning, I agree. But as you progress, I find this is a pretty issue to deal with.
  • 1x Electron Vapor
  • 50x Heridium
  • 20x Zinc
Electron Vapors are cheap(50 carbon and 100 plutonium to make suspension fluid) , heridium and zinc are practically everywhere.

I'm pretty sure the devs left out the ability to transfer or dismantle warp drives due to essentially not follow through with the mission to get the recipe, as they intended you to.
And or stocking up on warp cells by just going from crashed ship to crashed ship, without really working to get the resources to create them ourselves.

But that's just me.

Sure, the warp drive thing is not that big of a deal. The multitool upgrades thing bothers me more since they tend to use more rare materials. All they had to do was allow you to break down upgrades during the comparison like you can with ships.

Or better yet, let you just move the upgrades over.

I can definitely agree with that. It's annoying. No idea what they were thinking there.

Recent things that have impressed me.

The game baiting me to want to upgrade Chaffed Nuts[.] into a gunboat and forsake my explorer-thug life. Very tempting after encountering way better fighter ships after me.

Last night I opted to back track a few systems to get some coordiante thing done before I went too far out of my lazy range. Lah-dee-dah.. me fighting with the space map/xbox controller to get to the right system and BAM! I dropped out of warp right in the middle of a friggin space battle! I was like out of a flipping movie.

Shit blowing up, zipping by, and pretty crazy. Chaffed Nuts is a pretty clean shorn ship with no wings to speak of so flying is more cocked up then usual. Though dropping out of warp - to narrowly miss being plastered against the side of some giant ship through expert evasive maneuvers - was really a thrill.

The suck part is the planet I opted to hide out on for a bit was all "actively hostile sentienals".. Damn it! I can't catch a break from "extreme hostile planets for: heat/cold/biological". It was a lot of me ducking behind what few plants were there, dodging, and pack diving over their scans so I could tag ruins and monuments while getting a bit of go-go fuel and gravitino balls collected.

This is very much different from my usual leisurely strolls through planets. The bastards called in their hounds THEN THEIR SHIPS! Thankfully Chaffed Nuts' crooked flight path helped evade being hit and took them down. Side note - "tropheum" is a dumb ass name.

The other planet was deemed a "failed terriforming". I dont' know what that means as it all looks like Call of Juarez with buttes and cacti. No 'Voyage Home' crazy here.

-- space battles are neato
-- sentienals being an actual game factor
-- planet variations
-- having to dive into oceans for things
-- "tropheum" is a dumb ass name

I've only been to one or two planets with hostile sentinels and found it to be a PITA when trying to mine resources, as normally you're left alone at those big ore deposits. I wonder if there's anything extra special on those planets to make it worthwhile to deal with the sentinels? If they're no different than regular planets in terms of special items etc. then I probably won't be exploring them. Ideally, the hassle of dealing with a planet full of hostile sentinels would yield greater rewards as they would be protecting something valuable and not programmed like little Terminators just for the heck of it. :)

The space battles are cool. As with many things in this game, there is more to them than you might suspect initially. Here are two great resources if you want to learn more about the role freighters play in the game (among many many other things):

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Freighter

http://nomanssky.wikia.com/wiki/Freighters

Like me, you are finding a lot of stuff out by yourself which is really cool but the fact that the game doesn't explain many things to you has led me to do some light research so that I'm not finding out after playing 100 hours that I could have been doing something cool much earlier in the game (which I suspect will still happen, given the scope of content in NMS). It would be very possible to sink a ton of hours into this game and still miss out on many of its little touches and gameplay mechanics.

I've been to a hostile planet with no resources worth taking. I've also been on other hostile planets with lots of the pearls and gravatino balls. I haven't been to any since the latest update though, so I'm not sure if there is anything potentially new on those planets.

I finally upgraded (side-graded?) my ship to a Fighter class (coming from Shuttle) with a couple more slots. Mainly just wanted better damage to take out annoying pirates and bounties.

Seems rare to find a planet that doesn't have some sort of environmental issue. I found one awhile back, and in retrospect should have made that my base. Still searching a dozen or so systems later...

I finally upgraded (side-graded?) my ship to a Fighter class (coming from Shuttle) with a couple more slots. Mainly just wanted better damage to take out annoying pirates and bounties.

Seems rare to find a planet that doesn't have some sort of environmental issue. I found one awhile back, and in retrospect should have made that my base. Still searching a dozen or so systems later...

Yeah, I eventually want to try a Fighter with +damage dealing or a Hauler with +damage absorption to help deal with the pirates. I wonder if there's any handling differences? I'd love to have the plentiful cargo slots of a Hauler but if Fighters are way more nimble I might go that route...I've only had one ship and can't remember if my Shuttle handles any differently than my first starship.

And yup, planets without environmental hazards are rare in my experience. I've only found a couple...the one I mentioned a while back that had pink grass (I was half expecting to see a pack of My Little Ponies playing and grazing) and a planet with no atmosphere which was really cool because you could clearly see the planets and stars from the surface at all times, but it was a barren wasteland. I flew around for a few minutes and never found anything except craters. Come to think of it, I believe I did find a couple more - a Jungle or Forest planet with a yellow surface and a Viridescent planet with blue grass, but I didn't settle down there either as I'd really like to find a lush, green Earth-like planet like this:

Viridescent.png

Yeah, I eventually want to try a Fighter with +damage dealing or a Hauler with +damage absorption to help deal with the pirates. I wonder if there's any handling differences? I'd love to have the plentiful cargo slots of a Hauler but if Fighters are way more nimble I might go that route...I've only had one ship and can't remember if my Shuttle handles any differently than my first starship.

As far as I can tell there's no handling difference between classes...much to my sadness. But the damage boost is nice and the ship looks cooler IMO. :p

Another issue I came across is that if you find a wrecked ship, it doesn't allow you to repair slots before you transfer items and swap over. I found a class A Hauler with like 40 something slots, but only 10 or so were usable, meaning I would have to dump most of my cargo. Kind of puts you in a shitty position.

Is there any way to mark a location permanently? The waypoint feature doesn't seem to do anything for me.

If they're no different than regular planets in terms of special items etc. then I probably won't be exploring them. Ideally, the hassle of dealing with a planet full of hostile sentinels would yield greater rewards as they would be protecting something valuable and not programmed like little Terminators just for the heck of it. :)

There were maybe three to four planets that I visited with overly hostile sentinels, (and the other types of them) and on at least 2-3 of them, they were littered with Vortex Cubes. Some were sitting on the ground, in and out of caves, and some others were rotating on the tops of pedestals. They're worth quite a bit of money, so I made it work, picked up as many as I could carry, jumped up to the nearest station, and came back for more a few times. When I touched the ones on the pedestals the sentinels came straight for me. The ones on the ground, didn't seem to change anything. Anyway, I think maybe the hostile sentinel worlds could be worth exploring a bit, but I'm not sure if they all have something valuable or not.

Building a Beacon is about the only option, then bookmark the system if you leave it.

As far as I can tell there's no handling difference between classes...much to my sadness. But the damage boost is nice and the ship looks cooler IMO. :p

Another issue I came across is that if you find a wrecked ship, it doesn't allow you to repair slots before you transfer items and swap over. I found a class A Hauler with like 40 something slots, but only 10 or so were usable, meaning I would have to dump most of my cargo. Kind of puts you in a shitty position.

Is there any way to mark a location permanently? The waypoint feature doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Question to everyone - has anyone found anything legitimately interesting in caves? I keep thinking I may be missing the one off creatures in them, but I only found one instance where a creature looked to spawn on the entrance, but nothing deep inside. There's no great minerals inside nor any 'discoverable' pylons/ruins/etc.

Question to everyone - has anyone found anything legitimately interesting in caves?

No. As far as I can tell, they merely serve as as place to get out of severe weather (and maybe hide out from the bigger walking sentinels). It would be cool if they contained the things you described, or even different lifeforms that didn't live on the surface. You probably still have to visit them if you want to 100% a planet in terms of discoveries, since I think some of the rock/mineral formations etc. are only found in caves but beyond that I can't see too much of a reason to explore them.

I've not found anything in caves other than just different scenery.

Though on one planet I did find a new creature in a cave, though not too far from the entrance. I went further in, and nothing.

Cool. Just making sure I am not being a turd and missing something. That'll clear a chunk of my planet exploration procedures bullet points.

Walking Sentinels? Haven't seen those but lord knows one of these manufacturing facility B&E's may call one up.

Along similar lines to my post above, I've found two cave systems littered with Vortex Cubes (out of the 3-4 planets that I've seen them on). The planet that I mentioned that had the cubes sitting on pedestals had the walking sentinels which immediately came at me when I tried to remove one.

Seconded on cave creatures seem to spawn within 20-30 yards of the entrance, tops. I have gotten very deep (and thoroughly lost in a few caves and never found anything that was unique deeper.

The fun thing about getting lost in caves though, is, if in doubt, you can blast your way out!

It sounds like the majority of the people in this thread are explorer-types, but I'll leave this information here in case someone wants to be set for life when it comes to credits.

If you haven't established a planetary base yet, try to find a solar system that has at least three types of planets: irradiated, frozen, and lush. The quickest way to getting rich is by planetary base farming dedicated to producing Living Glass, a base building component.

For this you'll need a base established on an irradiated planet, so that you can plant Gamma Weed outdoors instead of in hard to produce biodomes.

What you'll need:
Finish the Farmer NPC questline so you can get the blueprints for all the necessary components
10 Biodomes
148 Gamma Weed Plants (key ingredient for blueprint gathered from Irradiated planets, can planted outdoors in an irradiated planet)
93 Frostwort Plants (key ingredient for blueprint gathered from Frozen planets, must be planted in biodomes)
37 Coprite Plants (key ingredient for blueprint gathered from animal poo, must be planted in biodomes)
A crapton of Thamium9 (can be bought from NPCs landing inside freighters or Trading Posts)
A crapton of Carbon (same as with Thamium9)

Initial setup will be very grind-y and progress will be slow, but once you start harvesting your first plants and in turn planting new ones, things will speed up considerably. I think total time invested to get the farm to 100% capacity was probably around 10 hours.

This produces 18 Living Glass pieces every 30 minutes, 37 every hour. Each sells for around 696,000, so roughly 22-24 million an hour. I've bee harvesting for 5 hours and I have over 100 million in the bank.

I started a new game after this recent Atlas expansion. Sadly, somewhere along the lines I missed many blueprints for crafting ingredients.

One in particular is the chain that the Atlas itself gives you, the ones that you just upgrade to eventually turn into Atlas Seeds. Can't remember the name, but I'm sure you guys get it. The one I missed is in the middle, I have recipes before and after it. I've already been to the center for the first time and cleared all of the plot missions so the Atlas' don't even talk to me anymore.

Another is Organic Catalyst, maybe I just need to keep grinding for it.

Atlas Pass v2 and v3. I know these are fixed rewards from Polo. I'm trying like fucking crazy to find a planet where I can actually find all of the god damn critters so I can get v3 as that is the last thing Polo is asking of me. But I never got v2 despite passing the Polo mission.

In any case I probably just have to start a new game but that sucks... wondering if anybody heard of these issues and found solutions by chance.

1.34 is out
  • Fixed an issue where large numbers of portal visits would be added to save files, greatly increasing the save size and impeding the ability to save the game. We're aware there are still some players experiencing this issue, and we're currently investigating any remaining reports.
  • Prevented the terrain editor draining in charge when editing empty voxels
  • Prevented players being able to edit terrain outside their base radius for free while standing inside their base
  • Fixed responses made to Artemis and Apollo at times being incorrectly tracked
  • Prevented players being blocked from progressing if they decline to enter glyphs into a particular story portal
  • Fixed instances where Atlas text was appearing as though it came from an NPC
  • Fixed FoV in photo mode showing degrees as a temperature
  • The discovery screen will now show images from a larger number of visited waypoints
  • Added a placeholder image in cases where a waypoint image is not available
  • Allowed scrolling of names on the discovery page which are too long to be displayed
  • Fixed a graphical issue where a blur effect would be applied while teleporting
  • Improved prioritisation of systems you have teleported from when listing your most recent teleport locations
  • Altered teleporters in space stations to allow players to teleport directly to other stations as well as to their base
  • Improved ordering of icons on the galactic map to more accurately indicate missions and system information
  • Increased maximum number of paths which can be rendered in the galactic map
  • Improved appearance of the message displayed when your starship is out of range
  • Fixed warning symbol on broken tech appearing too small
  • Fixed an issue that sometimes caused glyphs not to be awarded correctly
  • Fixed an issue in tutorial messaging when you repair your pulse drive but nothing else before entering your ship
  • Added the amount of units you will earn for a discovery to the Analysis Visor interface
  • Added correct emotion animations for various interactions with NPCs
  • Fixed an issue when claiming a new base location (which caused base NPCs to stop responding)

Just came here to post those patch notes. Pretty impressive for a minor revision.

Gah, turns out it's not my Gigabyte 1080 Ti that's loud AF when playing this game. It's my H115i. I thought the constant world draw-in was taxing the graphics card but I guess the procedural generation is more CPU intensive?

You guys should start posting some pics of beautiful/interesting locations that you come across. Here's one I stumbled upon (on the internet, not in-game) of what was described as an Earth-like planet...pretty cool. Nitpicks aside, the game can be downright gorgeous at times.

iwjai9un70jz.jpg

Gah, turns out it's not my Gigabyte 1080 Ti that's loud AF when playing this game. It's my H115i. I thought the constant world draw-in was taxing the graphics card but I guess the procedural generation is more CPU intensive?

You guys should start posting some pics of beautiful/interesting locations that you come across. Here's one I stumbled upon (on the internet, not in-game) of what was described as an Earth-like planet...pretty cool. Nitpicks aside, the game can be downright gorgeous at times.

Its not doing anything to the 1600 on my end, but it is beating on my 1070 pretty good though lol, granted I'm playing at 4k with some tweaks.

Its not doing anything to the 1600 on my end, but it is beating on my 1070 pretty good though lol, granted I'm playing at 4k with some tweaks.

Playing at 4K also (man it's pretty!). I probably need to do some investigation into my noise issue, could just need some tweaking as far as the fan profile or something. Right now it has me wishing I was still running my massive (but quiet) Noctua HSF because these radiator fans are getting quite loud after running this game for a bit. Room gets pretty warm too, so something is making my rig work. :) I may look into replacing the stock fans because some quick Googling shows that I'm not alone as far as the noise goes. Strange that I never noticed it until this game, which really seems to ramp things up. I'm on a 6700K/32GB/1080 Ti build, for reference.

Noctua does tend to have quieter fans compared to Corsair's offerings.

Back