No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

Or maybe they were told that it gets better and the seemingly missing features / elements of the game ARE in the game, just that they haven't found them yet. Now its weeks later and no one has found these claimed things, which makes it clear you'll never find them either. I can guarantee you I've put hundreds of hours into games that I wasn't having fun in (WoW anyone?). Many people were under the premise that it gets better, eventually. But it doesn't. It never gets better. The planets are all samey. Incredibly samey.

What is your point exactly? This argument is getting old and fucking stupid. It's like going to see Suicide Squad based off the cool trailers, sitting through the whole thing and then asking for a refund because it wasn't what you expected. Fuck everyone who put in more than 2 hours into this game and continue to bitch. People are abusing the system and it really pisses me off especially when I see some people put dozens of hour into the game and then still have the nerve to ask for a refund. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
fuck the 40-60+ hour gameplay people that are trying to refund, that's just ludicrous. I'm requesting a refund after roughly 6 hours of gameplay since I withheld viewing any other content and forum posts on gameplay as I wanted a true experience for myself... and it takes at least 4 hours of low FPS and stuttering before you realize that you've already done everything and you're going to keep doing it for the next 50 hours to reach the 'center of the galaxy' which I've now heard is a big let down.

But Steam already denied it, so here's to hoping they actually patch/improve this game or the modders do.

That's not entirely true. I've been to many planets that were completely different than all the previous ones I had been on. With completely different environments, colors, weather patters, creatures, etc. Even just 20 hours is too much to ask for a refund. Seriously, if you can't tell the way the basic game play in this game works after 10 hours (and I'm being REALLY generous though,) then you have some kind of mental disorder. Honestly you get a good feeling for it in the first few hours, possibly enough with less play than that. It's really not hard to figure this game out. It's about one's own experience, and can be played in a lot of different ways.

Maybe you can get a refund on your life while you're at it.

I'll buy the game again when it is as advertised. They should have gave half off for a half assed game. 60 hours played is literally nothing for a game with 18 quintillion planets, I'm pretty sure I only saw .000000005% of the content so it's not like I played the full game.

I put in for a refund on Steam with 60 hours played. I want to see if it is provided. This is my 2nd time refunding NMS (initially cancelled my preorder) so I'm not sure if it will happen. I actually like the game, but do think it is overpriced and poorly supported since the dev team is so small. I suggest you refund as well, maybe it will push HelloGames to add back their deleted features. Could always buy it again in the future.

Dude, how are you able to sleep at night with yourself knowing you put 60 hours into a game but yet are asking for a refund? Like seriously wtf is wrong with you. I think your excuse for a refund is complete bullshit and you are trying to justify your refund by saying "I actually like the game, but do think it is overpriced and poorly supported since the dev team is so small." How the fuck does that make sense to anyone but yourself?

"I like the game, but the development team is too small and it's overpriced." If you got a $1 worth of gameplay out of every hour you paid for a $60 game I would say you more than got your money's worth. People such as yourself should be banned from being able to use refunding and maybe even using Steam to begin with.

I'll buy the game again when it is as advertised. They should have gave half off for a half assed game. 60 hours played is literally nothing for a game with 18 quintillion planets, I'm pretty sure I only saw .000000005% of the content so it's not like I played the full game.

No, you did experience the majority of the game's content in 60 hours. That .000000005% number you're trying to use as justification for a refund is mind-numbingly retarded.

there's nothing wrong with asking for a refund after 40 hours...blame the retailers actually granting the refund...people are just taking advantage of a system which allows you to take advantage of it...the same happens in all forms of retail...people buy expensive TV's to watch the Super Bowl and then return it...buy expensive clothes for a special occasion and return it etc etc

Why does anyone give a shit if people are getting refunds after 20/40/60+ hours of game time? Jealously? Seriously, who cares?

If the companies are allowing it to happen, there is a reason for it to happen. They're not going to just lose money for no reason.

Why does anyone give a shit if people are getting refunds after 20/40/60+ hours of game time? Jealously? Seriously, who cares?

If the companies are allowing it to happen, there is a reason for it to happen. They're not going to just lose money for no reason.

Oh, I don't know, because all these people actually played and enjoyed the game, and are basically saying fuck you to the devs, basically crippling their ability to possibly fix this game further, or maybe make future games that might not have such a rough start due to inexperiece? I don't begrudge someone their Steam allotted refund window, but playing enough of the game to basically complete one or more paths and then crying for a refund is really shitty.

How in your mind is it ok to play the game that much, then just say fuck you guys, I didn't like it. And if you didn't like it, why the fuck would you play that much of it?

People are going to do whatever they want. That doesn't mean I can't say it's a shitty thing to do. Luckily I just read that Steam isn't allowing anything outside their normal refund policy, so all these slimy little money-grubbing bitches can't stoop that low anyway.

I may sound harsh. My opinion is of these peoples' actions, and isn't in relation to my opinion of this game. I like the game. Others don't. Fuck it. That's life. However, watching people act slimey, and try to take advantage like that kind of sucks. I feel the same about those idiots buying a TV for one show, or clothes for one occasion. None of those are particularly excusable. One certainly doesn't justify the other. I'm also not the king of moral high-ground. I don't follow all the rules, I'm not claiming to be a saint. I would say though that I'm a hell of a lot more reasonable than anyone playing a game for 40-60 hours and then trying to return it.

Oh, I don't know, because all these people actually played and enjoyed the game, and are basically saying fuck you to the devs, basically crippling their ability to possibly fix this game further, or maybe make future games that might not have such a rough start due to inexperiece? I don't begrudge someone their Steam allotted refund window, but playing enough of the game to basically complete one or more paths and then crying for a refund is really shitty.

How in your mind is it ok to play the game that much, then just say fuck you guys, I didn't like it. And if you didn't like it, why the fuck would you play that much of it?

People are going to do whatever they want. That doesn't mean I can't say it's a shitty thing to do. Luckily I just read that Steam isn't allowing anything outside their normal refund policy, so all these slimy little money-grubbing bitches can't stoop that low anyway.

I may sound harsh. My opinion is of these peoples' actions, and isn't in relation to my opinion of this game. I like the game. Others don't. Fuck it. That's life. However, watching people act slimey, and try to take advantage like that kind of sucks. I feel the same about those idiots buying a TV for one show, or clothes for one occasion. None of those are particularly excusable. One certainly doesn't justify the other. I'm also not the king of moral high-ground. I don't follow all the rules, I'm not claiming to be a saint. I would say though that I'm a hell of a lot more reasonable than anyone playing a game for 40-60 hours and then trying to return it.

How the hell do you know people enjoyed it? You just assume everyone was having a fucking blast playing the game rather than getting annoyed at the lack of features before finally giving up and asking for a refund. How in your mind is it okay for a developer to shove lies down consumers' throats and the consumers to have no right to even ask for a refund? You want to complain about someone acting slimy? Why don't you take a look at your fucking hero Sean Murray?

That's not entirely true. I've been to many planets that were completely different than all the previous ones I had been on. With completely different environments, colors, weather patters, creatures, etc. Even just 20 hours is too much to ask for a refund. Seriously, if you can't tell the way the basic game play in this game works after 10 hours (and I'm being REALLY generous though,) then you have some kind of mental disorder. Honestly you get a good feeling for it in the first few hours, possibly enough with less play than that. It's really not hard to figure this game out. It's about one's own experience, and can be played in a lot of different ways.
So people who have different opinions than you have mental disorders? Classy.

Edit: looks like all the white knights' jimmies have really been rustled by people returning this steaming pile of shit.

Hmm. I bought this online with BB rewards points. I'm betting I'll never see a refund.

So people who have different opinions than you have mental disorders? Classy.

Edit: looks like all the white knights' jimmies have really been rustled by people returning this steaming pile of shit.

Wrong. Period. Where did I ever say that I agree with how Sean handled any part of this launch? Find me something. Oh that's right, you can't because I've been saying all along, his lack of transparency and not just telling it like it is was a bit shitty. Still though, he's just the figurehead. The rest of his team seemed to work hard because for the most part the game plays as advertised. People seem to talk about all kinds of promised features, that if you actually fucking payed attention to any of the footage up to launch, were clearly A) not features in the sense that people hoped they were, and B) weren't promised in any way shape or form. People inferred a metric fuck ton of what this game was supposed to be.

I ask again, why the fuck would you endure 40-60 hours of something you hate? Your logic is flawed. Playing a game is a completely optional activity. One doesn't need it to survive. One typically plays a game for... THAT'S RIGHT... FUN!!!!! If you're not having FUN playing the game, why would you dump 1.5-2x the average work week into it? That to me says mental deficiency in some form or other.

What's the reason? To torture oneself? To just get through that much so you can go spout off how much you hate it? To become some type of martyr for a cause nobody asked for? Seriously none of that seems particularly sane to me. Opinion doesn't really come too far into this. If you play for that long either you fall into some weird category like that, or you must have derived some enjoyment from it. If you derived enough enjoyment to play that long, then in my mind you don't deserve a fucking refund. How hard is that to understand?

I've said this a hundred times now. I don't give a fuck if you like the game or not. I don't give a fuck if you like Sean Murray or not. I don't care if you play the game for 60 hours and ask for a refund. Sure that makes me think you're a total douche for doing it, but I'm not going to try and stop you. I'm giving a commentary in a forum about behavior that I've observed as being pretty slimy and fucked up. Don't like it? move to the next post.

Wrong. Period. Where did I ever say that I agree with how Sean handled any part of this launch? Find me something. Oh that's right, you can't because I've been saying all along, his lack of transparency and not just telling it like it is was a bit shitty. Still though, he's just the figurehead. The rest of his team seemed to work hard because for the most part the game plays as advertised. People seem to talk about all kinds of promised features, that if you actually fucking payed attention to any of the footage up to launch, were clearly A) not features in the sense that people hoped they were, and B) weren't promised in any way shape or form. People inferred a metric fuck ton of what this game was supposed to be.

I ask again, why the fuck would you endure 40-60 hours of something you hate? Your logic is flawed. Playing a game is a completely optional activity. One doesn't need it to survive. One typically plays a game for... THAT'S RIGHT... FUN!!!!! If you're not having FUN playing the game, why would you dump 1.5-2x the average work week into it? That to me says mental deficiency in some form or other.

What's the reason? To torture oneself? To just get through that much so you can go spout off how much you hate it? To become some type of martyr for a cause nobody asked for? Seriously none of that seems particularly sane to me. Opinion doesn't really come too far into this. If you play for that long either you fall into some weird category like that, or you must have derived some enjoyment from it. If you derived enough enjoyment to play that long, then in my mind you don't deserve a fucking refund. How hard is that to understand?

I've said this a hundred times now. I don't give a fuck if you like the game or not. I don't give a fuck if you like Sean Murray or not. I don't care if you play the game for 60 hours and ask for a refund. Sure that makes me think you're a total douche for doing it, but I'm not going to try and stop you. I'm giving a commentary in a forum about behavior that I've observed as being pretty slimy and fucked up. Don't like it? move to the next post.
Lol, wow.

how would you come to expect multiplayer?

fuck the 40-60+ hour gameplay people that are trying to refund, that's just ludicrous. I'm requesting a refund after roughly 6 hours of gameplay since I withheld viewing any other content and forum posts on gameplay as I wanted a true experience for myself... and it takes at least 4 hours of low FPS and stuttering before you realize that you've already done everything and you're going to keep doing it for the next 50 hours to reach the 'center of the galaxy' which I've now heard is a big let down.

But Steam already denied it, so here's to hoping they actually patch/improve this game or the modders do.
The automated one will deny you because you passed the two hour mark, you need to submit a ticket. With six hours I don't see why they wouldn't refund you.

Edit: Just so we're clear I pre-ordered and I'm keeping it. I like it, but then I also pre-ordered Watch Dogs and liked that as well :)

Last edited:
Lol, wow.

I'm just curious. Give me some detail about what you think an acceptable scenario would be where someone would dump that kind of time into a game, and then demand a refund. I'm really curious.

Like I said, I don't care who loves or hates the game. This is beyond the game itself. I'm purely discussing observed behavior. So don't take it personally. Just give me a scenario where this would be totally fine. I'm honestly curious. (not being sarcastic or anything)

Edit: Also, let's assume that the game in question works pretty much the way it should, may not be as grand as advertised, but does actually function, and one could play 40-60 hours, and then decide to play that much more IF they wanted to. Let's set aside subjective things like whether they are having a blast, or a bit bored. Let's just assume it's working, and didn't just totally crash out die, lose data, and cease functioning. (because in those last few scenarios, with data loss, total malfunction, game becomes completely unplayable, etc. I think ANYONE would be justified in getting a refund. Short of this though and to draw a parallel to the real discussion, I'd like to know a scenario that's ok to do this.

Edit Edit: This is just discussion too. I may have come off a little harsh above, but it's because I disagree pretty heavily with that one scenario. Not trying to attack you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamers Have Every Right To Push For 'No Man's Sky' Refunds

And it's on multiple other sites today.

Incoming rage , head exploding post from those who are enraged over folks getting refunds.

Personally I hope refunds for NMS go on even longer and it bankrupts the smug little laughing shit known as Sean Murray. He lied all the way to PS4 launch and now is in hiding with money bags. The more that get taken back from him the better. At least his reputation is worse than Peters now in one swift stroke.

I would pay for a video of a live AMA with him with a polygraph going.

Just a bonus to know its enraging others who don't want refunds going out.

I'm just curious. Give me some detail about what you think an acceptable scenario would be where someone would dump that kind of time into a game, and then demand a refund. I'm really curious.

Like I said, I don't care who loves or hates the game. This is beyond the game itself. I'm purely discussing observed behavior. So don't take it personally. Just give me a scenario where this would be totally fine. I'm honestly curious. (not being sarcastic or anything)

Normally there isn't a scenario where this is acceptable. The only mitigating circumstance that comes to mind is fraud/false advertising of the product, especially when the fraudulent/missing features don't become apparent immediately upon playing the game (Edit: or some sort of technical glitch that becomes apparent later in the game). This is what I believe happened in this scenario, and it rests on Sean Murray's shoulders for his bizarre PR strategy. If he had been upfront about features and there wasn't confusing surrounding them, in no way shape or form would I think refunds are acceptable after that many hours. And yes, I actually believe that a good number of people will simply take advantage of the situation to try to get a refund. I just feel it is on Hello Games that that door was left open, and I would rather deserving people not get screwed than some assholes get a free 40-50 hours in a game.

Edit: should also say I also care very little about the game itself in this scenario. To me it is about customer rights in an industry where customers so often get shit on and mislead. Is the reaction over the top in this case? Probably. Will it make other developers think a bit more about being more honest in their advertising going forward? I sure as hell hope so.

Last edited:
The automated one will deny you because you passed the two hour mark, you need to submit a ticket. With six hours I don't see why they wouldn't refund you.

Edit: Just so we're clear I pre-ordered and I'm keeping it. I like it, but then I also pre-ordered Watch Dogs and liked that as well :)

Dark Souls - because 6 hours is just getting passed the tutorial boss :)

Gamers Have Every Right To Push For 'No Man's Sky' Refunds

And it's on multiple other sites today.

Incoming rage , head exploding post from those who are enraged over folks getting refunds.

Personally I hope refunds for NMS go on even longer and it bankrupts the smug little laughing shit known as Sean Murray. He lied all the way to PS4 launch and now is in hiding with money bags. The more that get taken back from him the better. At least his reputation is worse than Peters now in one swift stroke.

I would pay for a video of a live AMA with him with a polygraph going.

Just a bonus to know its enraging others who don't want refunds going out.

The shitty thing is this will stain the rest of Hello Games as well, and I don't think that is fair to people who worked their asses off on this game. I don't even think Sean Murray is a bad person, just incredibly dishonest (even if it is lying by omission or political dancing around questions) and much of the fault here lies squarely on his PR strategy. I'd prefer for them to release some sort of statement about the overall situation of the launch and work towards fixing things (the latter of which they seem to be doing). It's probably too late for a complete recovery though, which is a shame. It seems like there are still a core group that really like the game, so hopefully it keeps getting work to improve it for them.

Normally there isn't a scenario where this is acceptable. The only mitigating circumstance that comes to mind is fraud/false advertising of the product, especially when the fraudulent/missing features don't become apparent immediately upon playing the game. This is what I believe happened in this scenario, and it rests on Sean Murray's shoulders for his bizarre PR strategy. If he had been upfront about features and there wasn't confusing surrounding them, in no way shape or form would I think refunds are acceptable after that many hours. And yes, I actually believe that a good number of people will simply take advantage of the situation to try to get a refund. I just feel it is on Hello Games that that door was left open, and I would rather deserving people not get screwed than some assholes get a free 40-50 hours in a game.

Fair enough! That actually makes plenty of sense.

IMO though, that's largely not what's happening with people though. Maybe Steam's 2 hour limit or whatever is a little short for a game this large. I can see that. However, anything over 5-10 hours or so, people should have an adequate idea of how this game is going to play out. In a general way anyway. I keep finding cool little surprises while playing, but being a huge fan of explorations games, I think my mind is already tuned to this experience. I've played between 15 and 20 hours now. Just taking in an hour or two a night. Not blasting right through it. I find it to be quite fun, and a great diversion from other types of games that I play. I've played 1/4 what some of these people requesting refunds have, and I just honestly don't see how they could keep going further than what I have without either enjoying it, or having some ulterior motive for doing it. This is all my own opinion of course, but really, if you don't know by about 10-15 hours or sooner, I have to question motivations, personality disorders, etc. (Also, I say that SOMEWHAT tongue-in-cheek, but there's some truth behind it too.)

We could debate the reasons, motivations, restrictions, personalities, etc. behind why some features didn't make it, (ever or yet) or why this or that change occurred for years probably. Obviously Sean wasn't up front about a lot of things. That said, I think the game is "close enough" (just in my own opinion) to what was teased and advertised that "Sean Lied" seems a little extreme. Until we actually see if some of these features make it back in or not, we don't actually know why they were missing. It could be completely innocuous. If that's the case though, he should have just fucking said it. We can also debate for years why he keeps quite and evades. Maybe it's him. Maybe it's not.

Even if the super limited MP experience comes back to the game, some creature sizes get increased, and the center of the universe gets tweaked slightly to crescendo a bit more, the game isn't going to be THAT much different than it is now. So, if you don't really like it now, you're not going to like it how you thought it would be either, and then all of these arguments are moot.

Fair enough! That actually makes plenty of sense.

IMO though, that's largely not what's happening with people though. Maybe Steam's 2 hour limit or whatever is a little short for a game this large. I can see that. However, anything over 5-10 hours or so, people should have an adequate idea of how this game is going to play out. In a general way anyway. I keep finding cool little surprises while playing, but being a huge fan of explorations games, I think my mind is already tuned to this experience. I've played between 15 and 20 hours now. Just taking in an hour or two a night. Not blasting right through it. I find it to be quite fun, and a great diversion from other types of games that I play. I've played 1/4 what some of these people requesting refunds have, and I just honestly don't see how they could keep going further than what I have without either enjoying it, or having some ulterior motive for doing it. This is all my own opinion of course, but really, if you don't know by about 10-15 hours or sooner, I have to question motivations, personality disorders, etc. (Also, I say that SOMEWHAT tongue-in-cheek, but there's some truth behind it too.)

We could debate the reasons, motivations, restrictions, personalities, etc. behind why some features didn't make it, (ever or yet) or why this or that change occurred for years probably. Obviously Sean wasn't up front about a lot of things. That said, I think the game is "close enough" (just in my own opinion) to what was teased and advertised that "Sean Lied" seems a little extreme. Until we actually see if some of these features make it back in or not, we don't actually know why they were missing. It could be completely innocuous. If that's the case though, he should have just fucking said it. We can also debate for years why he keeps quite and evades. Maybe it's him. Maybe it's not.

Even if the super limited MP experience comes back to the game, some creature sizes get increased, and the center of the universe gets tweaked slightly to crescendo a bit more, the game isn't going to be THAT much different than it is now. So, if you don't really like it now, you're not going to like it how you thought it would be either, and then all of these arguments are moot.

Yes, I can agree with most of this. I do think the time frame could be longer based on the "things get weirder at the center" pitch but you are right: if you can't tell in the first 10-15 hours if you will like this general kind of game then something strange is happening. The caveat, and this is a 'something strange' to me, is that given the nature of this game it is entirely possible players could keep playing past that point in hopes of experiencing things that they thought would be in the game. And you are right about those missing features likely not changing much. To me it's never been about the game but about the marketing, which is a shame. I can bet Sean Murray won't be taking the lead on PR for their next project, that's for sure!

the people who keep saying that Sean Murray never lied about any features etc need to go look at the TotalBiscuit and Angry Joe YouTube reviews where they cite and show you specific example of Sean lying about the game...multiple examples of Sean in videotaped interviews either outright lying or being intentionally vague

I feel like this thread has become a massive circle jerk of the same topic, over and over again.

And yes, requesting a refund on a game after 60 hours is retarded. I couldn't care less about that money being taken from developers; you purchased a product and put a ton of hours into it.

Wanna request a refund for shits and giggles? Go for it. Just don't put some redundant "the devs lied, and this product isn't worth $60" bullshit excuse into it. You didn't have to buy the game, and you certainly didn't need to spend 60 hours with it to realize half the shit they claimed was in the game actually wasn't.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I personally won't say one way or the other, because I'm not him, I'm not in his position, I didn't have a relationship with Sony dropped on my mid-development, I didn't set out to create a cool indie game, only to have it blow up into something my small team obviously couldn't handle. He could have fully intended those features to be in the game by release. Maybe they were working right up to that release push-back. Maybe they had to pull a few things at the last minute. Maybe they'll all get patched back in. There is so much that isn't black and white here. I personally hesitate to say he lied because he probably wasn't on TV blowing smoke knowing full well this stuff wouldn't be in the release.

That's where my sympathy ends though.

He should have (ASSUMING he even can given his relationship with Sony) just come right out and said, "These few features slipped, and will be in a near future patch." It really would have been that simple. That once again is ASSUMING he was able to. Who knows, maybe he's just really stupid about PR. Maybe he's a lying douche like everyone thinks.

I personally tend to doubt that though, and that there's a lot more to it.

Either way the game is closer to "advertised" (if you can even call it that) than a whole lot of other games out there past or present. Sure, give them a bit of backlash for it. Ask for more transparency. Get a refund if it's a reasonable request (not 40+ hours in). Whatever makes you feel good. I think it's all beyond overblown though personally. I don't see forums get this mad over real actual world problems that actually impact the way we live.

A little perspective is all I would ask for, if I was going to ask for something...

Anyway, yep, still having fun with the game myself, so... :p

Now that we've got that settled... no new patch notes or anything from the devs huh?

Hehehe, beyond the patches that came through a week or so ago, I haven't seen anything new yet. Since mine's working fine right now, I haven't gone looking though either. I never actually ran the experimental branch, just waited for the real patches. I am curious about what's coming up though in the next ones.

I sense another Phil Fish meltdown soon...
Fez was really good IMO, not sad there won't be a sequel, dude seemed stressed as fuck, hope he's doing better now...

Same goes for NMS dude, he hopefully learned a big lesson when it comes to PR, no doubt all the attention wasn't entirely expected from them and they got bombarded with stuff beyond their capacities... he can recover from this, but maybe not with NMS, I'm not sure it's worth salvaging at this point...

No, you did experience the majority of the game's content in 60 hours. That .000000005% number you're trying to use as justification for a refund is mind-numbingly retarded.

These are all unique planets and very different from each other, I visited about 50 of the 18,446,744,073,709,551,616, so no I didn't visit all of them and experience all the content, not even close.

Fez was really good IMO, not sad there won't be a sequel, dude seemed stressed as fuck, hope he's doing better now...

Same goes for NMS dude, he hopefully learned a big lesson when it comes to PR, no doubt all the attention wasn't entirely expected from them and they got bombarded with stuff beyond their capacities... he can recover from this, but maybe not with NMS, I'm not sure it's worth salvaging at this point...

Absolutely love FEZ. It's an excellent game.

What is your point exactly. This arguments are getting old and fucking stupid. It's like going to see Suicide Squad based off the cool trailers, sitting through the whole thing and then asking for a refund. Fuck everyone who put in more than 2 hours into this game and continue to bitch. People are abusing the system and it really pisses me off especially when I see some people put dozens of hour into the game and then still have the nerve to ask for a refund. Ridiculous.

"I played 84hrs GIMME REFUNDZ"

C835AFFBF99E28C29A8014B3268642BE98D4524A

Back