No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

Looks gorgeous to me. I have one small complaint about the visuals, and that's the explosions of destroyed spacecraft. Just a little "poof" I want to see parts flying out, spinning off into space, maybe hitting your own ship. Otherwise, it looks really nice. I love the art style, it's crisp, it's alien, and I think I could easily get lost in this game for a good while.

the game doesn't look all that amazing to me...planets look devoid of any life or personality...is this just a vast exploration game?

the game doesn't look all that amazing to me...planets look devoid of any life or personality...is this just a vast exploration game?
It's a sandbox that is in the vein of Elite: Dangerous, from my understanding.

Am i th eonly one that found the presentation funny? I mean was it bugged or do things not work properly?

Does a scan, says there's no alien life.

Robots start attacking, Alien creatures are on teh world....

I guess my definition of alien life differs from theirs...when I hear "NO alien life" I think not a single living thing, .like the moon...

Also the whole robot things, the "sentinels" he mentions want to "stop explorers."

I hope that's not something you will encounter on EVERY planet you go to,t hat will get old FAST if the game just puts them on every planet you go to.

I think the scanning has a very limited range, and is also only used to gather data on species you can upload to earn credits.

Also, the game was tweaked in order to guarantee points of interest / aliens / robots on every planet specifically for the presentation so he could pick at random and still be guaranteed some action in the limited time they had.

What use is a scanner when it only works on things right in front of your face!? Seriously, it didn't catch the screaming beasts mere meters behind him?!

What use is a scanner when it only works on things right in front of your face!? Seriously, it didn't catch the screaming beasts mere meters behind him?!

The game will have money and upgrades if I understand right. Maybe he opted for the better guns for his ship and had to settle for the low end scanner. Times are hard for all man!

Unfortunately I agree, it looked/felt generic. That's my main fear for the entire concept of this game; whenever someone goes for something this scale, there is the danger of it feeling empty and without personality. Hopefully at some point they will talk about the motivation/structure of the game to give us a reason to play. I just don't want this to be one of those "hey neat" gimmicks that ultimately provides nothing to the game.

No Man's Sky will be released on PC as well as PS4, and the two versions will come out at the same time...Hello Games' Sean Murray dropped the bomb at the PC Gaming Show at E3

Well, I'm still very excited for this. I have to think these guys know what they're doing. They've had what appears to be a good vision overall, and I doubt they'd do something stupid like putting those robots on every single planet. Since it's procedurally generated, they probably had to seed it and lock it down a certain way to create a demo that looked intelligible. I'd like better explosions though still. :D

This game will be a contest to see who can make the best bots to do all the exploration! Nah.. but the scale does seem way too big to be of any relevance. With that said though I think it looks interesting, it was one of the few games that peaked my interested so far.

are there any battles in this game?...ships?...what exactly is this game besides going to different planets, looking around, gathering loot and moving on to the next planet

are there any battles in this game?...ships?...what exactly is this game besides going to different planets, looking around, gathering loot and moving on to the next planet

Yes, there are battles (dogfighting, and capital ships, though I don't know if you can man the big ones. I don't think they've said anything about that yet...) Basically, the overall premise is that you start on a random planet, gather things that you need, then start making your way toward the center of the galaxy, which is where "something" will happen. Still pretty vague, but I haven't watched all of the most recent videos. There's heavy exploration involved, which is integral to getting the resources you need to get where you're going. I don't know too much more, but they had me at exploration. I said it earlier in this thread, but I'm a big nerd for that. I love the Mako sequences in Mass Effect for example, and played the living hell out of Star Control 2 multiple times.

It would be cool if you could "build stuff" on planets. I'd probably be forever addicted building up something on some planet I discovered.

Yes, there are battles (dogfighting, and capital ships, though I don't know if you can man the big ones. I don't think they've said anything about that yet...) Basically, the overall premise is that you start on a random planet, gather things that you need, then start making your way toward the center of the galaxy, which is where "something" will happen. Still pretty vague, but I haven't watched all of the most recent videos. There's heavy exploration involved, which is integral to getting the resources you need to get where you're going. I don't know too much more, but they had me at exploration. I said it earlier in this thread, but I'm a big nerd for that. I love the Mako sequences in Mass Effect for example, and played the living hell out of Star Control 2 multiple times.

sounds interesting but they need to make the exploration fun...I enjoyed the Mako stuff in ME more then most but it got repetitive because a lot of the planets started to look the same...they also need to make it so that it's not simply a race to get to the center of the galaxy...whatever happens there better be worth it

sounds interesting but they need to make the exploration fun...I enjoyed the Mako stuff in ME more then most but it got repetitive because a lot of the planets started to look the same...they also need to make it so that it's not simply a race to get to the center of the galaxy...whatever happens there better be worth it

I'm with you there. It would be silly if you started out in random places, with some people starting already near the center. There needs to be some kind of struggle going on there or something that the more people who enter get involved in or something. Also, it would be a shame for people that just want to explore to lose out for not heading straight there. The devs seem pretty cool though, and seem to be very creative. I'm hoping that they've got more laid out than they were able to demonstrate. I can definitely see the challenge in trying to show something like this when it's not finished. We'll see if they manage to pull it off, but I'm optimistic.

What would really be cool is for them to procedurally generate the bulk of the galaxy, and then go in and start polishing up random planets by hand, and really make some of them special. Give some real incentive for exploration.

It's funny. I find this game inspiring in a way. The reason being, I keep speculating on what they'll allow, and ideas for what would make it the perfect experience keep popping into my head unannounced. :D

Now, where's my venture capitalist and highly skilled dev team?!?!?

:D

I just can't help but wonder what the game could be like if Sony threw a bunch of money in their direction. I am still really excited to play it, but perhaps have more 1st person interactions and more fleshed-out interaction with the environments. From everything i've seen, landing on planets and what-not is strictly more-or-less a sight-seeing experience aside from the occasional shooting at a flying robot... but it would be cool if you could claim a planet as your own and build on it. Invite others to your planet (friends) and create your own army or band of mercenaries/smugglers.

There is so much you could do here... I just hope it won't be a hollow experience.

that'd be great if there was a narrator like that in the game, kinda like that seaman game you can piss him off and break him down, leading to suicide... wow, that'd be fun!

Now a full blown $60 retail release or 149.99 for the CE.

NNrbYhL.png

I know there's a lot of hype for this game and it looks ambitious but to me it looks boring...worlds look empty, graphics look average and I don't get the hype...if exploration is the biggest draw then at least make the planets interesting and full of life...the gameplay videos I've seen make exploring a chore as the planets look mostly empty...I'll keep an eye on the game but for now I'm not interested

I know there's a lot of hype for this game and it looks ambitious but to me it looks boring...worlds look empty, graphics look average and I don't get the hype...if exploration is the biggest draw then at least make the planets interesting and full of life...the gameplay videos I've seen make exploring a chore as the planets look mostly empty...I'll keep an eye on the game but for now I'm not interested

I feel the same way; definitely wait and see on this one.

"By the most recent calculations, there are roughly 18 quintillion planets in No Man's Sky (that's 18,000,000,000,000,000,000--or 18 billion billion). The game’s world is actually a shared universe, with players connected online, much like how it works in Destiny or World of Warcraft. But No Man’s Sky is so unfathomably huge that it’s unlikely that you’ll ever meet another player. The chance of encountering a friend at some stage is essentially zero"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-play-no-mans-sky-a-detailed-breakdown/1100-6435316/

that's another thing that I don't like...seeing other players during your voyage across the universe is something I would have liked...seeing other players exploring the same planet and sharing resources or killing another player for his valuable resource...the game as is seems too lonely and depressing

"By the most recent calculations, there are roughly 18 quintillion planets in No Man's Sky (that's 18,000,000,000,000,000,000--or 18 billion billion). The game’s world is actually a shared universe, with players connected online, much like how it works in Destiny or World of Warcraft. But No Man’s Sky is so unfathomably huge that it’s unlikely that you’ll ever meet another player. The chance of encountering a friend at some stage is essentially zero"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-play-no-mans-sky-a-detailed-breakdown/1100-6435316/

that's another thing that I don't like...seeing other players during your voyage across the universe is something I would have liked...seeing other players exploring the same planet and sharing resources or killing another player for his valuable resource...the game as is seems too lonely and depressing

I partially agree. There are a few things that I would have like. One, I think it's cool if it's a rare occurrence to run into other random players, but it shouldn't be THAT rare. I don't want to wade through swarms of players, but bumping into someone out at "the ass end of space" (to quote Lieutenant Ripley) would be a cool thing if it happened once maybe twice a medium length play.

The other thing is that it would be nice if you COULD start off with a friend or four, and experience it together as a small team. Doesn't have to be massively linked up, but to allow a small group of friends to go out an explore together would be great. Or at least put it in the realm of possibility that you could give your coordinates to a friend, and plot a semi-long-term course to meet up somewhere when resources allow.

Those aside, I'm still extremely excited for this. As a card carrying Mako explorer, Star Control Captain, and general wanderer in games that allow it, this game looks pretty close to perfect for me. We'll see, but I'll be jumping day one.

Looks like a ridiculously boring game. So you just fly around to randomly generated worlds and do what? Look at stuff?

Looks like a ridiculously boring game. So you just fly around to randomly generated worlds and do what? Look at stuff?

There is FPS combat, ship combat, exploration, etc. I personally enjoy exploration. Maybe it's not for you. However, I believe there are a lot of different aspects to the game that one can focus on.

Well, if we set out to explore the universe, it would be equaly as depressing, we would not encounter any humans out there :)
Humanoids perhaps, but there are those in this game.

So I haven't followed this game at all.

Is there crafting/ship building/base building in this? Or is this just "pick a ship and fly for hours killing random shit and finding new planets to.....look at"?

I am pretty stoked for this. If I can just get on a ship and meander around exploring then I'm all in. In Minecraft I build enjoy of a defensible base to launch exploration parties (above and below).. and have a joint to come back to and ditch my loot. I would very much like to do that in a space ship and not a mine cart (or boat).

It's what I never understood either: With the size of the world, how could we find the other players?

There is FPS combat, ship combat, exploration, etc. I personally enjoy exploration. Maybe it's not for you. However, I believe there are a lot of different aspects to the game that one can focus on.

So I haven't followed this game at all.

Is there crafting/ship building/base building in this? Or is this just "pick a ship and fly for hours killing random shit and finding new planets to.....look at"?

There is also trading. And there is alien that can give you stuff.

There is also resources gathering.

You can also buy ships.

And finally it's suppose to be multiplayer so we could see other players around?

It would be so cool, if the trading was done by auction like M.U.L.E. :D

Back