No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

peppergomez

[H]ard|Gawd
Still after the disaster of a release they've done a good job supporting it even if shooting crystals is boring. Maybe one day someone can suggest an update that make shooting crystals more entertaining !
My thoughts too. Very impressive how they've grown this game but the core gameplay loop is too tedious for me. Even the exploration seems pointless.

braamer

[H]ard|Gawd
My thoughts too. Very impressive how they've grown this game but the core gameplay loop is too tedious for me. Even the exploration seems pointless.

Both of these are why I can't stick with it. There aren't any exciting discoveries, just rando generated planets with rando generated creatures that somehow feel the same.

DWolvin

2[H]4U
Yeah- the exploration is better than most realize. I have found some crazy planets (including one that was devoid of life and atmosphere and listed as {cursed? Haunted? something} and has the weirdest noise. That was way back in the first couple of content updates.

Blade-Runner

2[H]4U

That's what I was going to ask, this update makes the game look more interesting but is the gameplay loop still randomly exploring procedurally generated planets, or is there some semblance of an overarching narrative or a team based PvP element to keep one engaged?

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
There's at least 3 or 4 overarching narratives these days. In my 300+ hours of play I've finished most of em. I haven't finished the storyline involving derelict vessels yet and I believe the sentinel update also added some storyline but I haven't played since then.

It is, however, all involving going to random systems and exploring random planets. But once you unlock all system types the planets do get considerably more varied - at least till you get tired of seeing enough "haunted", "cursed" etc. Planetary bodies.

I definitely find the exotic and lush variants the most interesting. Although my first time actually dealing with a gigantic Sandworm on a planet with a ton of smaller, flying worm creatures was pretty fucking awesome.

You can also relatively easily build a base that generates a ton of money and most necessary resources, which cuts out the grind a fair bit.

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
There's at least 3 or 4 overarching narratives these days. In my 300+ hours of play I've finished most of em. I haven't finished the storyline involving derelict vessels yet and I believe the sentinel update also added some storyline but I haven't played since then.

It is, however, all involving going to random systems and exploring random planets. But once you unlock all system types the planets do get considerably more varied - at least till you get tired of seeing enough "haunted", "cursed" etc. Planetary bodies.

I definitely find the exotic and lush variants the most interesting. Although my first time actually dealing with a gigantic Sandworm on a planet with a ton of smaller, flying worm creatures was pretty fucking awesome.

You can also relatively easily build a base that generates a ton of money and most necessary resources, which cuts out the grind a fair bit.

Any tips on how to build a base taht generates a tn of money and resources?

Riddlinkidstoner

Supreme [H]ardness

I really love what Sean and the NMS team has been doing with the game, especially the last major update that addressed a ton of space combat issues.

What I really want them to do is significantly improve the planet biome generation (multi-biomes please!), improve the water, and add a ton more variety. After awhile you just see the same things over and over in different colors but maybe thats the nature of these type of games.

Pringle

2[H]4U
It's incredibly difficult not to shit on Star Citizen when NMS is pushing content and fixes so consistently. This is ignoring the fact that the majority of SC's content is locked behind paywalls (ships/land/whatever).

Riddlinkidstoner

Supreme [H]ardness
It's incredibly difficult not to shit on Star Citizen when NMS is pushing content and fixes so consistently. This is ignoring the fact that the majority of SC's content is locked behind paywalls (ships/land/whatever).

I played Star Citizen the past couple of days during the limited free experience (I think it's good until May 31) and while it's a technical marval, the fun aspect is really hard to find unless you enjoy the realism. I had to watch an hour of videos just to understand how to leave the planet (finding your ship, turning it on, calling the space port to open the doors, taking off, navigating, using the orbital points, etc) It's also not user friendly in it's current state. The ground combat is ok but the AI is terrible but then again, NMS doesn't have much of a ground combat system either.

That said, I enjoy NMS more because it's a lot more relaxing and far less punishing. I died way too much in SC lol.