No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by Blade-Runner, Dec 8, 2013.

1. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Damn, finally starting to get close to some of the early demo features that were confirmed to not be in the game but shown at one point. Quite exciting.
    Fireworks though wtf, lay off the roberts' crackpipe there, hellogames!
    It looks like they're slowly inching their way to be in the SC niche with the community mission based stuff. Roberts better get his ass moving!
    Or will they fork to NMS2?

2. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

that was one of my major complaints when the game was released...every planet looked too same-y, not enough diverse environments/creatures etc...endless but ultimately boring, repetitive universe...glad to see they are continuing to support this game with major updates...might actually be a very good game one day soon

3. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Actually they've surpassed just about everything they ever mentioned period. Also without asking for another dime, and while discounting by 50% or more during most major update weeks. If that doesn't absolve them of any misrepresentation claims or over-expectations by interested players, I don't know what would. The game still isn't for everybody for sure, but its quality level is above and beyond IMO.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  4. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

I'm trying to think of another game where the devs have been so committed, for so long, after a release to make such vast improvements (and at no additional cost to players). If one exists, I don't think I've played it.

AceGoober, N4CR and J3RK like this.
  5. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

You're right but seeing that video reminded me of the lack of procedural alien ruin structures, procedural freighter wrecks and ground creatures. On all other fronts they have exceeded as you said and are a model that should be used as an example to other publishers.

I so want alien structures next.. But with crazy and scary stuff in some, very dangerous and hard to avoid or kill animals etc.

AceGoober and J3RK like this.
  6. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

That would be god damned amazing. The alien ruins and shrine things are great, but I'd really like to see planetary dwellings with highly varied styles between races. Not just outposts. More varied ruins, maybe some cities, or at least colonies. Maybe some home-worlds or major hub locations.

And here's my semi-yearly call for gas giants!!!!

Also, maybe some rarely seen races beyond the main three factions. I know there are a few mentioned, but it would be nice to be able to run into some. Maybe a trader race like the Melnorme from Star Control 2 for example that would come and help when you run out of resources in space.

N4CR likes this.
  7. SuperSubZero

SuperSubZero 2[H]4U

Looking forward to 1.75 except the last one was a two hour thing that oh, now I can build bases underwater.. yay.. ?.. I repeated that for my Normal, Survival, and Permadeath saves and life went on. I haven't been playing much otherwise. I logged in tonight to just make sure my saves are at my bases for the update tomorrow.

Do enough people play together to justify the fireworks? I have seen like two people the entire time multiplayer has been a thing.

8. TaintedSquirrel

TaintedSquirrel [H]ardForum Junkie

Am I crazy or are they releasing a patch on Thanksgiving?

9. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

They are a British company if I remember correctly.

10. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

11. bigddybn

bigddybn [H]ardness Supreme

Maybe a quick synopsis of why I should watch the 20 minute video you revived a 4 month old thread with?

tunatime likes this.
  12. Lateralus

Q-BZ, dragon69, ChoGGi and 1 other person like this.
  13. Eshelmen

Eshelmen [H]ardness Supreme

Maybe if you understood who this was, you'd not ask why this was posted.

OT,

Great talk by Sean Murray.

dragon69 likes this.
  14. dragon69

dragon69 69's Dragons

I swear it's a no win situation. If a new thread was made for this, he would be asked why he made a new thread when one already existed. If you don't want to watch it, don't.

Anyways, great vid and thanks for posting that.

Q-BZ, J3RK, DWolvin and 1 other person like this.
  15. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, maybe if we didn't wander into old threads about things we weren't actually interested and then click on videos and become disappointed, we'd all feel much better. :p

Honestly, I don't understand the point of that post up there. This is precisely the place to post any and all information related to NMS. Those interested in the game don't need a spoon-fed synopsis.

N4CR, Q-BZ, dragon69 and 2 others like this.
  16. Eshelmen

Raising 3 kids through one of the worst criticisms ever towards a game must have been hell.

But I tip my hat to that man.

Uber excited about the future of this game.

Q-BZ, dragon69 and J3RK like this.
  17. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Agreed. Some of the criticism was earned, but just as much of it wasn't. That must have been tough, and even tougher to stick through it, and make the game better than it was ever intended without charging more. I still maintain my opinion that the whole thing just snowballed, he got over-excited, the Sony thing added pressure, and there was no way they could keep up with expectations and keep a launch date. On one hand he should have curtailed much of what he had spoken about until release, but on the other, I'm sure he was as excited as everyone else, and had the intention of delivering, even when things started turning shitty. He just seems like that type of person. Not a charlatan. Looking forward to more NMS, and also any other projects these guys put out in the future. This still remains one of my go-tos for when I want to relax, kinda want to play a game, but don't want to invest more energy than I need to. :D

DWolvin, N4CR and Q-BZ like this.
  18. Q-BZ

Q-BZ [H]ard as it Gets

I continue to take my hat off and salute the unbelievable effort that continues here.

Frraksurred, Eshelmen, N4CR and 2 others like this.
  19. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

VR might bring me back to try this again. Probably just for the novelty of it, though.

20. stolikat

stolikat n00b

I lost interest after about ten hours in game.

21. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

Launch trailer...August 14th...32 player co-op...

N4CR, Youn, DWolvin and 3 others like this.
  22. zamardii12

zamardii12 2[H]4U

Why are you here then?

Eshelmen likes this.
  23. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

Does NMS have a built in benchmark ?

24. DWolvin

DWolvin [H]ard|Gawd

If you are on the fence, ArsTechnica has a quick write up of some of the major updates/changes.

polonyc2 likes this.
  25. Eshelmen

My god, it's been 3 years already that this has been released. 3 years! And they're still going at it.

Another Kudos from me to Hello Games.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    J3RK, Parja, Colonel Sanders and 8 others like this.
  26. Pringle

Pringle 2[H]4U

No shit. I had no interest in this until 3 months ago, when it went on sale. What a pleasant surprise this one turned out to be.

Q-BZ and DWolvin like this.
  27. Eshelmen

It be a long shot request, but it may be possible.

I'd like to see some cross play involved with this game.

So many friends on PS4 and PC playing this, I'd like to see us all get in on this together.

32 player Coop? We'd build a friggin empire if that was the case.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Q-BZ likes this.
  28. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

sadly sony isn't the best company to deal with when it comes to trying to get them to allow crossplay.

Q-BZ likes this.
  29. Q-BZ

Q-BZ [H]ard as it Gets

Absolutely. A truly astounding situation.

Eshelmen and AceGoober like this.
  30. Lateralus

32 player co-op sounds great! But as someone who doesn't do much online gaming these days, I'm much more excited about the VR support that the game is getting. And I'm not even set up for VR. :p One day, maybe. And THAT would be the way to play this game!!

Despite my tendency to prefer single player games, I might be persuaded to join a [H] NMS group like Eshelmen alluded to. I'd have practically zero interest playing with randos, but we have a handful of people here who really enjoy the game and who I know would work well together to explore the vastness of NMS!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    N4CR and Eshelmen like this.
  31. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

I think part of the key is they are (outside of special sales like right now) still charging full price for the game. If people are buying it they can continue to deliver a full price update experience.

After 3 years most games have already hit the bargain bin and Steam sales they are pretty much given away.

32. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

https://www.nomanssky.com/beyond-update/

Full patch notes at the bottom (was too many characters for a quote/code post).

Honestly, VR is cool and whatnot, and I don't care too much about MP or building, but those QoL changes might actually prompt me to play again. It sounds like they really reduced the tedium of the inventory and grinding which is a LONG overdue needed change.

33. Lateralus

Oh my gosh, yes.

34. Eshelmen

Holy shit. This list of addons is massive!

It's like a whole new game!

Explorers can enjoy longer stretches of uninterrupted mining with less frequent and less aggressive sentinels, and a reworked overheat mechanic for the Mining Beam that rewards pushing heat to the limit.

Ship controls and space combat balance have been improved.

Inventory limitations have been relaxed, allowing explorers to carry near-unlimited quantities of mined substances. The inventory UI has been revised and improved.

Creature mounts? Check!

Jet Packing while building? Check!

Essentially unlimited items to store? Check!

Industrial mining? Check!

I'm going to straight up rape my favorite solar system of its resources tonight. Muahahah!

So much more, this is insane.

Can't wait to get on this tonight.

Pringle, odditory, scojer and 2 others like this.
  35. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Now that I'm holding off on my System Shock 2 play until the Enhanced Edition shows up, I suppose this will fill in the gap. :D Nice list!

36. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

It says technologies can be moved now, but I wonder if they can be moved between multi-tools and ships? That was a big peeve of mine previously.

Also hoping that money is a lot more readily obtainable to get consistent ship and multi-tool upgrades, whereas before in like 20 hours of play I think I maybe was able to upgrade once?

Q-BZ likes this.
  37. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

VR *and* Vulkan added?

Damn these guys have come a long way and I'm finally getting off the sidelines tonight.

Q-BZ likes this.
  38. Q-BZ

Q-BZ [H]ard as it Gets

N4CR, KazeoHin, J3RK and 2 others like this.
  39. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah I'm trying to think what else would even compare in terms of digging out of as deep a hole as they have.

Most developers would typically be forced financially to put a poorly received title behind them as quickly as possible, and then attempt to right all of its wrongs in a sequel.

J3RK likes this.
  40. TheHig

TheHig Limp Gawd

Been waiting for this update to get back into it. Hopefully get to play some tonight as well. :cool: