No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

I with the others. I expect this to be fun for about the first 50 planets then it becomes tedious and monotonous.
That's what I thought about with Minecraft, but I spend more time just wandering around looking at things as they are being generated and like poking in odd caves or nifty areas then moving on.

Very much like Donkey.

Xyrapvm.gif

I with the others. I expect this to be fun for about the first 50 planets then it becomes tedious and monotonous.

Same concern. The concept and some of what I see here fascinates me but... how is it all going to come together?

I love how every thread on this website about upcoming cool games has a ton of people in it claiming the game will be terrible, fail miserably, or will completely disappoint everyone. I had to stop reading the Doom thread because of all the morons in there.

I am extremely excited for this game.

I love how every thread on this website about upcoming cool games has a ton of people in it claiming the game will be terrible, fail miserably, or will completely disappoint everyone. I had to stop reading the Doom thread because of all the morons in there.

Hating things sight unseen is an art form around here. Think nothing of it. ;)

Hating things sight unseen is an art form around here. Think nothing of it. ;)

After expending a bunch of energy in the Doom threads explaining why I thought it was going to be good, I have no intention of doing this here. Not worth it. But yeah, (I think this one's going to be extremely cool too! :D )

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Honestly, I don't think this will be a bad game. It's probably going to be a great exploration game.

But I don't think it's going to be my type of game.

Honestly, I don't think this will be a bad game. It's probably going to be a great exploration game.

But I don't think it's going to be my type of game.

And that is a very reasonable response. I'm all for something not being to everyone's taste. There are just a lot of people that seem to like to detract from something without any basis. I love exploration games. Mass Effect 1 is my favorite in the series because of the Mako sequences for example. Star Control 2 is another one where you can explore, and discover some cool things by accident.

Mass Effect 1 is my favorite in the series because of the Mako sequences for example.

Now hang on a second... I'm all for space exploration games, I even enjoy chasing the bleeps, sweeps and creeps around in the SRV in Elite, and in a moment of weakness I preordered NMS on GOG, but the Mako? *shudder* That thing can die in a fire.

Now hang on a second... I'm all for space exploration games, I even enjoy chasing the bleeps, sweeps and creeps around in the SRV in Elite, and in a moment of weakness I preordered NMS on GOG, but the Mako? *shudder* That thing can die in a fire.

Loved it. I loved landing on the planets, checking things out, etc. I liked seeing how long I could stay on the hostile environment ones, seeing if I could get up over some of the bigger mountains. Even was rewarded with things on occasion because of that. Also, every once in a while you'd come across some really cool alien ruins, and the imagination start kicking in wondering what they were. One particular example was a bluish tint planet later in the game. It had these black, glassy looking pyramids that you couldn't enter, but they were just there. No explanation for them, no plot elements etc. Cool looking, mysterious. I guess I just liked the fact that they gave that much attention to detail on a random planet. It also reminded me of the simple planet lander portions of Start Control 2, only you could actually drive the vehicle around. I don't know, it was just fun. It made me happy to hear that they're putting something like it in Andromeda.

Edit: Ha! Someone actually made a video about that pyramid!

I also think I may have spoken with someone else about that, maybe even in this thread somewhere. :D Anyway, the planet landings in that game added a lot for me.

Edit Edit: I actually just realized that this isn't even the same pyramid that I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
The exploration part I get, it was the bouncy-bouncy handling which drove me nuts, continually ricocheting off each and every rock to point the exact wrong direction. Elite's SRV isn't much better, but it's also not limited to a little square patch of planet with exactly 3 points of interest in it (or whatever the number was, plus the mission objective). If NMS can have Elite's scale, but with planets which aren't as terminally dull and lifeless, and interesting things like the pyramids to discover, that's all I'm really looking for. Combat etc, fine, whatever.
At least the Mako was more interesting than the planet scanning in ME2, I'll give it that.

Last edited:
Were you playing on a console? To me (on PC), the Mako wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be- you could go up nearly vertical walls and bunny hop all over. But I will say that you are correct about the physics being 'off', to put it mildly...

I played it on the PC too, and yes the physics were, shall we say, out of whack? That was actually another thing I liked though. I made an art of getting the Mako to bounce or twist just right. (Reminded me of the Moon Patrol buggy :D )

The Lore of No Man's Sky

We’ve been lucky enough to get the privilege of working with two very talented storytellers, people we’re huge fans of – Dave Gibbons (Watchmen, Kingsman, 2000 AD) and James Swallow (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Star Trek).

This makes me even more excited to explore and discover their lore in game. Speaking of which, I did enjoy all three mass effect even though the end left me feeling like there was no true closure.

the silence from the developers so close to release should have been a warning sign...with 1 month until release the marketing machine should have been in full swing...

I'm more bummed that Kotaku got the scoop

They've been showing more and more of this at every show, event, or conference to come up. There's at least one image or banner on every major gaming site on most days. The people that are excited already know what they want. I know they have a bit of backing ftom Sony, but they are still independent and a small studio. I don't think there IS a marketing machine to put into full swing. Me? I'm chomping to buy a few copies for kids/friends/myself.

This one is a little trickier than Doom though. This one needs a central server to connect everything. I really hope enough people give it a chance. It's people that will potentially make this great. It's mostly single player, but seeing things other people leave behind/built/discovered should add something cool to the experience. Also once people start getting closer to the galactic core, I imagine contact eventuallt occurs. The more people playing the more chance of good things happening I think. So, I agree in this case that more marketing is better.

However, I'm not taking it as a warning sign either. As long as I can keep playing it no matter the situation with the community, I will be happy. Hey maybe I'll run into one of the people I buy it for :D

ever since learning that this is not multiplayer, instead this huge world is singleplayer only, I've lost pretty much all interest.

ever since learning that this is not multiplayer, instead this huge world is singleplayer only, I've lost pretty much all interest.

Didn't that come from a Steam tag though?

I haven't heard from the developers that anything has changed with the goals in game or how it's played. Maybe they didn't want people to buy it thinking it was EVE or SC or something.

Unless I missed a major announcement...

Didn't that come from a Steam tag though?

I haven't heard from the developers that anything has changed with the goals in game or how it's played. Maybe they didn't want people to buy it thinking it was EVE or SC or something.

Unless I missed a major announcement...

The developers have made it super clear that this is single-player only with online 'notes' so to speak.

I really wanted to get a group of friends together and see if we could reach the centre of the galaxy, but nope.

I didn't catch that. Still think I will love it, but yeah, I must have missed that.

The people that are excited already know what they want....

that's not the people you market to nor is that what marketing has ever been about...you want to market the game to people who don't know about it to get them interested in purchasing it...with less then a month before release most high profile games go into marketing overdrive with commercials, trailers, gameplay footage, early previews etc

It's mostly single player, but seeing things other people leave behind/built/discovered should add something cool to the experience. Also once people start getting closer to the galactic core, I imagine contact eventuallt occurs....

"By the most recent calculations, there are roughly 18 quintillion planets in No Man's Sky (that's 18,000,000,000,000,000,000--or 18 billion billion). The game’s world is actually a shared universe, with players connected online, much like how it works in Destiny or World of Warcraft. But No Man’s Sky is so unfathomably huge that it’s unlikely that you’ll ever meet another player. The chance of encountering a friend at some stage is essentially zero"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-play-no-mans-sky-a-detailed-breakdown/1100-6435316/

that's not the people you market to nor is that what marketing has ever been about...you want to market the game to people who don't know about it to get them interested in purchasing it...with less then a month before release most high profile games go into marketing overdrive with commercials, trailers, gameplay footage, early previews etc

How often do you see big marketing pushes for indie games? This isn't a AAA tentpole title. Though there is a rumor that the game is delayed, so that would explain the lack of anything at all for it right now.

"By the most recent calculations, there are roughly 18 quintillion planets in No Man's Sky (that's 18,000,000,000,000,000,000--or 18 billion billion). The game’s world is actually a shared universe, with players connected online, much like how it works in Destiny or World of Warcraft. But No Man’s Sky is so unfathomably huge that it’s unlikely that you’ll ever meet another player. The chance of encountering a friend at some stage is essentially zero"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-play-no-mans-sky-a-detailed-breakdown/1100-6435316/

I'm sure with a proper coordinate system, Friends could meet up and explore together....

If the damn game ACTUALLY HAD MULTIPLAYER.

That source is wrong. The game does not have multiplayer, it instead lets you discover and name stuff that other players can then see, but you cannot interact with other players or their world beyond naming stuff.

"But No Man’s Sky is so unfathomably huge that it’s unlikely that you’ll ever meet another player. The chance of encountering a friend at some stage is essentially zero"

I would like to think that after they articulated that, they realized how serious a problem that is, and that solving that problem is the reason for the delay.

What I'd like to know is whether it's actually possible period. They may be skewing this way or that to avoid confusion, getting hopes up, etc. If it's actually possible to see another player in the game, and it really only is the shear volume of space making that nearly impossible, then that's fine actually. This means that players can get crafty and come up with ways to MAKE this happen. I mean, I still think the point of the game is to move toward the center of the galaxy right? If so, and everyone playing is in fact doing that, I think there's a higher chance than they might think of this occurring.

Simply stating this one way or the other, and not making it ambiguous would be nice.

I'm still in for this game either way, but I would really like to know.

As far as the delay, I'm fine with that. They're a small team, they've already demonstrated that the game works. If they need more time to make it better, that's cool with me. As someone else mentioned, if they're fine tuning it a bit to make it a bit more interactive between the community of players, even better. Who knows though.

I'm still playing Doom and Mirror's Edge comes out soon, so I'll be cool until the new date. :D

What I'd like to know is whether it's actually possible period. They may be skewing this way or that to avoid confusion, getting hopes up, etc. If it's actually possible to see another player in the game, and it really only is the shear volume of space making that nearly impossible, then that's fine actually. This means that players can get crafty and come up with ways to MAKE this happen. I mean, I still think the point of the game is to move toward the center of the galaxy right? If so, and everyone playing is in fact doing that, I think there's a higher chance than they might think of this occurring.

Simply stating this one way or the other, and not making it ambiguous would be nice.

I'm still in for this game either way, but I would really like to know.

As far as the delay, I'm fine with that. They're a small team, they've already demonstrated that the game works. If they need more time to make it better, that's cool with me. As someone else mentioned, if they're fine tuning it a bit to make it a bit more interactive between the community of players, even better. Who knows though.

I'm still playing Doom and Mirror's Edge comes out soon, so I'll be cool until the new date. :D

The developers have said that the game is single-player with online naming. So no other players.

On the delay: as much as I'm not interested in the game anymore, I would rather the developers make a good game late than a shitty game on-time. I actually look at delays as a GOOD thing. It means the developers take pride in their product and put more importance in the quality of the final game than meeting a deadline.

I thought what they said is that this game is online and is "multiplayer" in the sense that everyone is part of the same huge universe, but given that it is so huge it is unlikely you will ever meet another player.

So I guess for all intents and purposes it's single player, but maybe in the future they could add ways to travel vast distances more quickly and implement MP?

I thought what they said is that this game is online and is "multiplayer" in the sense that everyone is part of the same huge universe, but given that it is so huge it is unlikely you will ever meet another player.

So I guess for all intents and purposes it's single player, but maybe in the future they could add ways to travel vast distances more quickly and implement MP?

This is what I thought as well. I'm going to hunt around, and see if I can find where they've said otherwise. I mean last I heard it was still pseudo MP and that was only about a month or two ago. Then when it showed up with more details on Steam, and was listed as Single Player, everyone started going nuts. So, maybe they clarified after that or something. Not sure, but I'm going to try and find it. That is a HUGE architectural change to make that late in dev. The whole game was designed around that connectivity. Just "turning it off" would be silly.

Not that I don't believe Kazeo, it's just that there was so much information to the contrary for so long. Doesn't really make sense to me.

The lack of multiplayer makes it more appealing to me.
Agreed.

I thought it was clear that it was multiplayer in the sense everyone shares the same universe/atlas/map/etc.. but so large it is doubtful folks will run into each other or recognize them from, say, an NPC. As in you can discover a planet, name it, and leave it.. and if anyone else wanders by after the fact they will see your name for it.

Then there's this from 2014..
Stop Thinking Of No Man’s Sky As A Multiplayer Game

I think the problem is that it's not clear whether or not it is even mechanically possible to encounter another player in the universe or not. They claim it's "almost zero" chance but does that mean you could theoretically see and interact with another player? Do player character models and animations exist in the world? Or is it not implemented properly because they are banking on no one ever meeting another player?

What would be the point of adding netcode if the odds of seeing another player are 1 in a billion? That quote is ridiculous.

I agree for the most part. I mean, I still think it would be cool to run across places others have been, and have it persistent that way. Kinda like finding the bottles in the Wind Waker remake. They're occasionally funny or interesting. However, it would just be silly if the server is tracking all those players, and you couldn't physically see one in that one in a billion chance you land on the same planet.

No Man's Sky: Creator Says He Received Death Threats Over Video Game's Delayed Release
"I have received loads of death threats this week," creator Sean Murray said. The exploration game was previously set to launch on June 21 for PlayStation 4 and PC but was delayed until Aug. 9.

alright fess up, which one of you was it?

Back