No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

I'd really like to see the total amount of solar systems and planets that have been visited by players so far...

I wonder if they'll ever release this info.

I'd really like to see the total amount of solar systems and planets that have been visited by players so far...

I wonder if they'll ever release this info.

That would be interesting. It would be interesting to see hot-spots too, maybe of starting worlds, highest concentration of discoveries, etc.

I'm not sure about the Atlas Path proper, but when I first started my Creative run, I got the message and started on the Artemis story path. I can also board the Space Anomaly and talk to Nada and Polo, and they even offer to set me back on the Atlas Path, though I haven't actually tried to do it on the creative mode save yet. That leads me to believe that you can do all of that though. I have black-hole filters in my star map too, though I haven't pursued that in creative either yet. I think you should be able to everything, but with no trophies. Since I've started playing it more though, I'll try some of this out, and see if I can actually get back on the Atlas Path. I just need to jump to a system with the Space Anomaly, and see if they get me to a relay.

Gotcha...I was going off of info from one of those large NMS wiki-type sites, so what I read about Creative mode might be incorrect or outdated. I noticed that several/most sites haven't updated their info to reflect what's changed in NEXT yet.

Gotcha...I was going off of info from one of those large NMS wiki-type sites, so what I read about Creative mode might be incorrect or outdated. I noticed that several/most sites haven't updated their info to reflect what's changed in NEXT yet.

I think I started that creative run after the Atlas update, so it is entirely possible that this wasn't the case before that.

I think I started that creative run after the Atlas update, so it is entirely possible that this wasn't the case before that.

Yeah, after I posted I entertained the possibility that they might have never been correct in the first place. Those sites are a wealth of info and I'll go there for bits and pieces of information if I'm really curious about something, but generally haven't read too much because I like finding things out for myself. The game itself doesn't provide a ton of information on many things within it which is probably frustrating for the CoD kiddies who want their hands held and need constant direction, but I think it's fun to discover most things about this mysterious game on my own. I'm hoping that you're correct though, as I don't care about losing trophies in Creative mode but it would be nice to retain the Atlas Path. :)

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I love how much there is in this game that's a complete mystery. I haven't figured out if there's something behind those hexagonal worlds for example. There are also those big ring-looking-portal thingies (kinda Mass Effectish looking) and a bunch of other things that are just "there". I'm also really curious about the dead space stations now that I found out some other people have found them too. Good stuff. The game is really good at keeping you wondering about things.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Guess I must be lucky. I'm running at 4K on a 1080 with Vsync set to fast. I don't drop below 75 FPS. Most of the time it's above 100 FPS

Guess I must be lucky. I'm running at 4K on a 1080 with Vsync set to fast. I don't drop below 75 FPS. Most of the time it's above 100 FPS

Nice! Yeah, I haven't had any problems either, though obviously a huge step down in resolution. I have seen some videos where it looked like someone's hardware was struggling a bit, but you never know the state of some random person's machine. It could be bloated to hell and back, or using a bad driver set, or OCed to the point of instability, or inadequate power or cooling, etc. etc.

Just curious. Has anyone actually MET another player in space somewhere ? Besides multiplayer......

Just curious. Has anyone actually MET another player in space somewhere ? Besides multiplayer......

No I havent. Which makes sense since the galaxy so so massive. It would be very rare to even find someone else's base. But it can happen

It depends a bit on what you mean. The way the game is instanced I would guess it's a bit less rare than one would think. If you just mean, someone that didn't start up with the intention of playing with you, then yes. I've seen two different people. One on one space station, and one on another. One was using the appearance manipulator thing, and the other was running around the ship landing bay. I kind of walked around and observed them for a bit, as it was the first time I'd seen this. Then, I turned off multiplayer because unless I join with people I know, I'd rather play alone. I'm guessing it was due to instancing, and I had some free space in mine. I haven't tried to use the "Join" option though, so maybe it allows you to just connect with random sessions if you don't specify in which case that makes more sense than just a totally chance meeting. I've read that anyone out of your instance will still show up, but only as the little light-spheres like in the previous update. I've heard it described as similar to how Dark Souls works. (though I haven't played MP in that either, just SP, so I wouldn't know for sure)

I don't understand the MP in this one. What exactly does it provide?

I'm having what's probably typical growing pains. I need some tips on how to manage inventory. What's safe to sell and what should you keep?

I'm having what's probably typical growing pains. I need some tips on how to manage inventory. What's safe to sell and what should you keep?

If you have any of the alien specific items, "Gek-something, Vy'keen Effigy" giving them to aliens of that race brings up your standing. So that's one thing you can ditch if you have it.

Atlas Stones, Gravitino Balls, Something-Pearls, are things you can sell.

There are some plot related items that you get if you're on a story-line, so you'll want to be careful with those.

You can always re-mine most common elements, so if you have a huge surplus of something, sell off enough to free up a space or two. Keep the ones needed for refueling though.

If you've upgraded tech for something, and have older upgrades sitting in your inventory, you can ditch those.

You can upgrade your Exosuit storage though, by finding "Drop Pods" When you're able to, preferably on a planet that has some bases or alien activity, build a signal booster. Search for Drop Pods. Fly out to it, (some need repairing) fix it up if needed, and upgrade your suit storage. You can also transfer things to your ship. There's an upgrade that will let you do it long distance too later.

That's about it.

I don't understand the MP in this one. What exactly does it provide?

First thing is four player co-op. Since this is less a space combat game, and more a survival / exploration game, I think co-op can add a lot to the experience. Aside from that, there can be up to 16 (I think) other instanced players in your area. Honestly, the only part that interests me is co-op with either my friends or my kids, so I haven't read too much into what you can do with (or against) those other players in your instance.

This is the first update to include any REAL multiplayer though, so I'm sure it will get tweaked and updated over time. It's a really good start though, and in my case, all I really wanted in the first place.

A few interesting things I grabbed some pics of:

Here's the world my current base is on:

BaseWorld-01.jpg

Starting a new base:

Base-01.jpg

Dead space station with no life:

DeadStation-01.jpg

Weird water world with almost no land, except this cube I landed on:

WeirdWaterWorld-01.jpg

Dead world. This one had a bunch of the whispering eggs. I should have messed with them, but didn't.

ShipOnDeadWorld-01.jpeg

This is an older pic, but I'm kind of hoping these things have a purpose eventually, other than the touch of lore they give you.

BubblesAndThing-01.jpg

So cool. I love seeing the screenshots since there's a very good chance that no two of us will ever see all of the same things in the game. I've never seen those ringed trees and I've been to probably dozens of planets by now (on my last game, not this new start). Never seen a space station like that or a perfect square rock either, lol.

Doing part of a main questline about atlas....I found an actual stargate! Looked just like the one's in the movie and TV Show....laugh They will get sued soon. I should of taken a pic.

So cool. I love seeing the screenshots since there's a very good chance that no two of us will ever see all of the same things in the game. I've never seen those ringed trees and I've been to probably dozens of planets by now (on my last game, not this new start). Never seen a space station like that or a perfect square rock either, lol.

My new base world (the purple lush one with the ringed tree-rock-things) is in a red-star system. You need a Cadmium Drive to get to those stars. There is also an Emeril Drive for the green ones, and Indium Drive for the blue ones. This was actually the first red-star system I've visited. I don't know that the planet types are directly tied to those system types, but I know there's a decent correlation. I've seen the weird water worlds with nearly no land in two different types of system, but not in the default ones I started out in. At least within the few systems I jumped around to initially.

I'm in my Creative game full time now, so it wasn't too bad getting those new drive types. I still had to progress through upgrades though, and find a merchant that would actually sell them to me. I have to say Creative isn't too bad. I've ditched the grindy stuff, and am more thoroughly exploring systems now. I've found challenges in actually finding the things I want to find instead. Like the new base world for one. Other things are tracking down distress signals on worlds, finding ruins, finding systems with certain alien types so I can increase my standing, hunting down the exact style of capital ship and frigates I want, etc. I still find that I mine certain types of things, catalog discoveries, and am actually more apt to name systems and planets that I find, because I'm not too busy staying alive. I've also been fighting pirates, which while definitely not life or death now, still requires some flying skill. It's a different experience, but I'm enjoying it a lot. I think this is where I'll stay once I get my kids up and running. (just fixing up some machines for them to play on) It makes it relaxing, which is one of the big reasons I loved the game from the day it was released. There are plenty of other games if I want to stress out. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing part of a main questline about atlas....I found an actual stargate! Looked just like the one's in the movie and TV Show....laugh They will get sued soon. I should of taken a pic.

You'll start to pick up addresses that you can dial into the pedestals to travel to different places. Pretty handy. You can become Ranger from Quake/Q3A. :D

Originally a slipgate explorer, the man called Ranger has faced and escaped certain death a thousand times on a thousand worlds. His experiences have left him more alien than human now. After saving the earth during the Slipgate Affair, Ranger embarked upon an endless travelogue of blood and destruction. Now that he's ended up in the Arenas, he is resigned to his future of eternal combat. He enjoys a good challenge and becomes nasty if his opponents are weak.

My new base world (the purple lush one with the ringed tree-rock-things) is in a red-star system. You need a Cadmium Drive to get to those stars. There is also an Emeril Drive for the green ones, and Indium Drive for the blue ones. This was actually the first red-star system I've visited. I don't know that the planet types are directly tied to those system types, but I know there's a decent correlation. I've seen the weird water worlds with nearly no land in two different types of system, but not in the default ones I started out in. At least within the few systems I jumped around to initially.

I'm in my Creative game full time now, so it wasn't too bad getting those new drive types. I still had to progress through upgrades though, and find a merchant that would actually sell them to me. I have to say Creative isn't too bad. I've ditched the grindy stuff, and am more thoroughly exploring systems now. I've found challenges in actually finding the things I want to find instead. Like the new base world for one. Other things are tracking down distress signals on worlds, finding ruins, finding systems with certain alien types so I can increase my standing, hunting down the exact style of capital ship and frigates I want, etc. I still find that I mine certain types of things, catalog discoveries, and am actually more apt to name systems and planets that I find, because I'm not too busy staying alive. I've also been fighting pirates, which while definitely not life or death now, still requires some flying skill. It's a different experience, but I'm enjoying it a lot. I think this is where I'll stay once I get my kids up and running. (just fixing up some machines for them to play on)

What does creative game mean ?

Are all your progressions stored on a server somewhere?

If you have a fatal hard drive failure can you end up losing everything ?

Some little 41 MB patch just hit. Don't see any notes.

They're in the main Steam forum. Mostly freighter, save, and other fixes of that type. Some memory fixes, etc. as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Game_mode#Creative_mode

It means zero combat and zero survival elements of any kind. Jump in the sandbox, build, and worry about absolutely nothing.

I've been happy with normal. I wouldn't go past that for myself.

Well, there is combat, and you do actually have to get an occasional element, but nothing like Normal. You don't have to worry about money. You can still get in trouble in space too, it's just that you're not going to get wiped out. I just wanted to make the distinction because you can still fight things if you feel like it, there's just no danger or real motivation to. You can also follow at least some (maybe all) of the story lines too. I started the Artemis Path (as it's known) in Creative, so at least that one works.

One other side effect, (which is expected, and a good thing, but thought I'd mention it) you can't do multiplayer between Creative and Normal (or other) modes. Only within the same mode of play. So you can play with friends in Creative, or play with them in Normal, just not mixed.

It seems like the game would be missing something on the surface when playing in Creative, but really for all of the reasons I actually love and play this game, it's still precisely what I want out of it.

This is because it's how I choose to play the game, but I still mine certain things, I still fight pirates, I still explore cave systems, and do a lot of the things that one would normally choose Normal Mode for. It's not that I have to, it's just that I like to integrate a bit of that into my exploration, base building, etc. I also still have my Normal save, so I can always jump back to it if I feel like it.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Are all your progressions stored on a server somewhere?

If you have a fatal hard drive failure can you end up losing everything ?

When you discover a system, planet, animal, rock, whatever, you can go into the "Start" menu, click Discoveries, then name and upload them to the server.

If you lost your save, then you'd lose your inventories, ships, etc. I think, but your uploaded discoveries would still be there.

They do change things though sometimes with the major updates, like some planet locations, and other things. So some people have lost a bit of that in the past. My saves seem to have kept my visited systems intact through the updates, though some of the names have changed. I haven't looked back at older discoveries though to see if those are still there. (the ones I named)

When you discover a system, planet, animal, rock, whatever, you can go into the "Start" menu, click Discoveries, then name and upload them to the server.

If you lost your save, then you'd lose your inventories, ships, etc. I think, but your uploaded discoveries would still be there.

They do change things though sometimes with the major updates, like some planet locations, and other things. So some people have lost a bit of that in the past. My saves seem to have kept my visited systems intact through the updates, though some of the names have changed. I haven't looked back at older discoveries though to see if those are still there. (the ones I named)

Is there any sort of backup system in place? I know if I put hundreds of hours in, then lose it, I would never restart it again. I couldn't.

how do you start a creative game?

I started mine after the Atlas update, so I can't remember completely. I think when you start a new game though, (selecting one of the save slots) you can set it then somehow.

Is there any sort of backup system in place? I know if I put hundreds of hours in, then lose it, I would never restart it again. I couldn't.

I don't know if I've ever looked. It may be that it uses Steam Cloud for saves. If not, you could back it up in the game or save folder wherever that's located locally I would think. I've never done it, but now that you mention it, it would be a good time to at least grab a snapshot.

If you have any of the alien specific items, "Gek-something, Vy'keen Effigy" giving them to aliens of that race brings up your standing. So that's one thing you can ditch if you have it.

Atlas Stones, Gravitino Balls, Something-Pearls, are things you can sell.

There are some plot related items that you get if you're on a story-line, so you'll want to be careful with those.

Aren't Atlas stones one of those plot related items?

I don't know if I've ever looked. It may be that it uses Steam Cloud for saves. If not, you could back it up in the game or save folder wherever that's located locally I would think. I've never done it, but now that you mention it, it would be a good time to at least grab a snapshot.
Saved games are in %AppData%\HelloGames\NMS
I'm pretty sure steam saves them, but don't quote me on it.

Aren't Atlas stones one of those plot related items?

I think you need one (or more of them) for that path yes, now that you mention it. I've been off of that path for a bit though, so that's a bit fuzzy in my memory. I can't remember if you just need one, need one per Atlas Interface, or more. I had a ton of them in my inventory though, and sold off all but a few. I was planning to hop back onto that path at some point, but got going down the Artemis Path.

Actually my Korvax base scientist, just got disconnected from the hive mind, and asked me to hook his soul-something-module into a transmitter. I did this, then came back, and from some of the dialog, I think it's trying to push me back to the Atlas story. I just ran out of time last night to progress that any further.

Anyway, good point, keep an Atlas Stone or more handy. :D

Back