No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

Do any of you know how many planets I had to go to and take pictures of animals and then wait for the polo guy to get around to actually offering the warp reactor to me.

Sounds like you shouldn’t have updated if being that invested in the 1.x version of the game was that important to you.

Yeah this is sort of a mess. In my Normal mode game, I saved in my freighter near a space station. I reload in one of my ships, the space station is gone, and all of the planets are changed. Luckily my freighter was still there.

All of the planets were reset (the whole universe was), so all of the bases were "packed" and are apparently in some sort of computer terminal I have to build, but I don't have the materials to make it, and nothing is pointing me towards how to get them. There's a unique crafted item for lift-off fuel for the ships (or uranium, which I haven't found yet) and even the freakin' boltcaster now needs actual boltcaster ammo that has to be constructed. I really wish they had a "oh, we changed everything, let's have some quests to get you caught up" storyline thing, but nope. Just.. good luck!

As well, virtually all of the old tech slots were rendered obsolete. So all that extra stamina, jump range, weapons for your ship and multitool.. Gone. Back to virtual zero. So far the only things I still have are hazard gauntlets, advanced mining laser, and economy scanner. Now I get to re-find all of the new upgrades, and try to figure out how to make them.

On top of that, four of my six ships were *substantially* changed, and look horrid. My squid is now a round exotic, my beautiful double-box hauler is now boxless and looks stupid, and my fighter, which survived intact, has a glitch that the canopy open/close animation keeps flickering.

Not loading my Survival mode game anytime soon. @.@

Sounds like you shouldn’t have updated if being that invested in the 1.x version of the game was that important to you.
Mchart is now on ignore for being a dumbo. Updating wasn't optional.

Updating should not erase your progress. Ever. It should update or enhance your pleasure with the game. But never decrease or demolish your progress or pleasure with the game.

Yeah this is sort of a mess. In my Normal mode game, I saved in my freighter near a space station. I reload in one of my ships, the space station is gone, and all of the planets are changed. Luckily my freighter was still there.

All of the planets were reset (the whole universe was), so all of the bases were "packed" and are apparently in some sort of computer terminal I have to build, but I don't have the materials to make it, and nothing is pointing me towards how to get them. There's a unique crafted item for lift-off fuel for the ships (or uranium, which I haven't found yet) and even the freakin' boltcaster now needs actual boltcaster ammo that has to be constructed. I really wish they had a "oh, we changed everything, let's have some quests to get you caught up" storyline thing, but nope. Just.. good luck!

As well, virtually all of the old tech slots were rendered obsolete. So all that extra stamina, jump range, weapons for your ship and multitool.. Gone. Back to virtual zero. So far the only things I still have are hazard gauntlets, advanced mining laser, and economy scanner. Now I get to re-find all of the new upgrades, and try to figure out how to make them.

On top of that, four of my six ships were *substantially* changed, and look horrid. My squid is now a round exotic, my beautiful double-box hauler is now boxless and looks stupid, and my fighter, which survived intact, has a glitch that the canopy open/close animation keeps flickering.

Not loading my Survival mode game anytime soon. @.@

Again, this game has changed so much that a lot of these complaints are like complaining that you didn't know how to get Thorium-9 in the first build of the game to charge the landing gear. The resources, and everything have changed. You can keep your save game along with most of the translate-able progress - They didn't completely screw you on the resource collection aspect for any progress you had before.

Mchart is now on ignore for being a dumbo.

Updating should not erase your progress. Ever. It should update or enhance your pleasure with the game. But never decrease or demolish your progress or pleasure with the game.

The game was a piece of shit before. Ignore me all you want, but the reality is that you had time invested in a piece of shit game that is now actually half-way decent. Further, your bases and everything else you can re-build if you just plop down a base computer terminal.

I should erase your progress. But I hate how when you update the game your not put back the planet you where on. This update no different and I notice a lot of my supplies where gone.

I should erase your progress. But I hate how when you update the game your not put back the planet you where on. This update no different and I notice a lot of my supplies where gone.

I started a new save due to how much of the game is different, and I wanted the hand-holding of the missions to step me through the changes. I honestly couldn't give a fuck. The game is so different from the last time I played it w/ 50 hours invested that I really just don't care. It may as well be a new game for me.

As for your supplies - Again, just plop down a computer terminal which takes maybe a minute of resource collection and everything you had including your supply crates with all the supplies in them are available to put down.

I do feel for ya wrangler I would really pissed off too. I mean....yea its bullshit....I Would tell ya to start a new game, but i wouldn't want to either if i invested that much time to have it all go poof.

Hope ya do at least try out, the update is fantastic, but I totally understand man

I do feel for ya wrangler I would really pissed off too. I mean....yea its bullshit....I Would tell ya to start a new game, but i wouldn't want to either if i invested that much time to have it all go poof.

Hope ya do at least try out, the update is fantastic, but I totally understand man

Thanks man.

I think I got to put it down for now. I've got a lot of other games to catch up on. Just hurts too much.

Heh. I sent another ticket to Hello Games as a bug report. "Where's my shit!"

Ya'll enjoy. I think that this update was totally intended for people who bought the game early, which I did, but then put it down quickly feeling duped.
I never played the game, even though I had it until after Atlas was released so I had a pretty good game from the get go.... well except for having to grind 200 hours to get basic game pieces... >)

I guess I understand that there were people on the front side just as upset as I am now on the backside.

Maybe someone on YouTube will come out with a video showing a trick to get all your stuff back or something like that. Some people are saying there is a way.

Last edited:
It wasn't optional.
It is always optional if you have the GoG version. ;)

I loaded it up last night from what I can remember (I haven't played in a LONG time), everything I had was still there. I wasn't on a planet anymore but on a space station. But there seems to be a bug in my save I get into the ship and it's like the canopy is constantly closing as I sit there. I launch to space and it's still doing it, but it looks fine in outside the ship view. It also crashes every time I exit the game so I think my save is bugged so I will have to start over. I barely remember how to even play the game so it's probably a good idea, but it's a grindy game and I am not really too interested in playing it at the moment.

So how is the combat in this game? One of the pieces I enjoy in Elite is the combat (now that i have a HOTAS and have gotten better at FA off ).
Also, how bad (and boring) is the grind? In Elite, trying to track down the engineering materials and get enough to do the upgrades can be tedious. Unlocking the Engineers can be a pain as well (I will never mine again). The Guardians content took that to a new level, having to spend days farming the same things to get pieces to be able to unlock the weapons and ship "upgrades". It may have changed recently, but i got burned out between doing Guardians content (done right after it was released), mining, and trying to get materials for engineering. I am usually ok with farming, but there is something so pointless and tedious to this (fly around systems trying to find a signal source, go into it and scoop the materials, Supercruise and repeat).
Also, i feel bad for those who had put in all of the work, only to see it all taken away with the new release. I do at least like how Frontier did Engineering upgrade, where you kept your existing "mod", but the new version required you to "upgrade" your existing to the new system, but your upgrade starts at a higher level than someone doing the upgrade for the first time.

Absolutely loving Next so far. I could see being pissed if you spent countless hours on a base. The thing is though, bases could only be so complex before. You can build a HUGE one now, and in more places. Personally, I never built more than I needed to get going in the game. I hired an overseer, got an Exocraft tech, experimented with a few growing rooms, and then set out and didn't really look back unless I got stuck somewhere and had to teleport back.

Everything else about my save was intact. I was at the same station in the same system, (only the space station was hugely updated and populated). I actually ran into two other players on the station. My ship was exactly as I left it. I never got a freighter or anything. I was basically just a travelling explorer.

I toured a few systems last night, and set up my base on a really nice ringed planet. Very safe overall, but gets some boiling rain-storms once in a while. I actually have a decent little base forming now, this time populated with happy Gek and not some grumpy Vy'keen. :D

The visuals have definitely been bumped up a bit, low flying is WAY better now, the cloud systems from ground level against the ring of a ringed planet are pretty cool too.

I did have to clear out some obsolete tech, but had enough nanites and money to get some upgrades into my ship and multi-tool. So far, my ship and tool are better than any I've found or been offered, so I've kept them.

Overall, I'd say this was a pretty excellent update. Definite feel bad for those that put so much into a base before, and had it all packed up. That sucks. As some have said though, it's probably worth starting up again since just about everything is different now. I'll probably do the same actually now that I got my bearings with what I had on hand. I just didn't want to spend the only evening I had to play grinding out a start when I could get around easily enough with what I had. I'll probably start up again next week.

The players that I ran into tracked nicely around the station. Very smooth, no jumps or anything. I didn't offer to join up or anything since they were inter-randomites.

Frustrating start. I try and roll a first planet and invariably you're going to hit some kind of hostile environment issue. If I misfire at all the stupid robot start shooting at me You have to repair the compass and scanner presumably with this clock ticking over your head the entire time. I'm nowhere near any ship. I'm using "normal" difficulty. In Starbound and other games broadly like these at least they give you a chance to get to know things in a glorified tutorial and let you get your feet wet and bearings before you get into it. I wish they had done that here.

It doesn't bode well for me if this is how things even start for me. Got any noob 101 tips so I can at least get this thing off the ground?

Frustrating start. I try and roll a first planet and invariably you're going to hit some kind of hostile environment issue. If I misfire at all the stupid robot start shooting at me You have to repair the compass and scanner presumably with this clock ticking over your head the entire time. I'm nowhere near any ship. I'm using "normal" difficulty. In Starbound and other games broadly like these at least they give you a chance to get to know things in a glorified tutorial and let you get your feet wet and bearings before you get into it. I wish they had done that here.

It doesn't bode well for me if this is how things even start for me. Got any noob 101 tips so I can at least get this thing off the ground?

They changed how that works. You can't easily just roll a new happy planet now. The reason being is that there's a very specific set of tutorial steps now, to teach you how to survive more or less. If you follow that mission step by step, you'll have your exo-suit fixed, you'll find and fix your ship, and establish a basic base if I understand what I've read correctly. I just continued from where I was since I didn't have much to lose in the base department. I've read a ton of comments to this effect though, and it seems pretty logical for someone starting out.

Definitely do not attack the sentinels right now. You can do that later if you like. You can pretty easily trick them. You can run away far enough to harvest a bit of material. They'll come over to check out what you've done, and you can run back the other way and get some more. They shouldn't attack unless they watch you destroy quite a bit. If you can get to a cave, you should be able to find a few resources inside, as well as not worry about the environmental conditions. Caves are safe.

You can also carve out your own cave with your multi-tool if you can find a big enough rock to hollow out.

Just getting those first tutorial steps complete is what will really get you moving. From what I've read, you just need to follow it step by step, and will be off and running.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I was hitting the sentinel by accident. I will make sure I obey any and all prompts/instructions to the letter.

Does this game have a story now? I know they had hinted at it.

I didn't find the original tutorial sequence all that confusing, so it's a bit baffling why they changed all of that.

I was hitting the sentinel by accident. I will make sure I obey any and all prompts/instructions to the letter.

Does this game have a story now? I know they had hinted at it.

It has a few different stories, and a bunch of different sorts of tasks you can do. It's pretty wide open though. You can actually start down a story path, and completely abandon it if you like. If you want to get back onto it, there are some characters you can talk to that will point you in the right direction to pick up more or less where you were. I've been on that main one once in an older game I had going. On the last game I started, I did a somewhat related, but different path. I could technically pick either back up and keep going now, but I think I'll be restarting and playing with my kids soon, so not sure what we'll do. Probably more Terraria-esque exploration and building I would imagine, (knowing my kids). I might continue my old game alone, and see where it takes me though.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I didn't find the original tutorial sequence all that confusing, so it's a bit baffling why they changed all of that.

I'm not sure either. It may be that they wanted a more uniform experience, and to prep everyone for the more hostile environments. Maybe they wanted it to play out more like a more typical game. Not sure. I was fine with the old way too. Sounds like the new one isn't too bad though as long as you get it done quickly and in a fairly step-by-step manner. I'll know for sure when I get a chance to play again.

Oops looks like you are SOL if you want multiplayer with the GoG version it isn't in there. I am not really interested in it but I am kind of ticked off that it isn't in there given I paid full price for this game when it was released.

I assume the update will be cool with integrating on an old save?

Yes, everything that could be directly converted over is. So you still have your ship, slots, credits, and discoveries. All the resources changed, and the way tech works completely changed along with bases. These things were removed. Your bases/supply caches can be reclaimed by putting down a base computer. The changes to tech were so substantial that this is the one area where generally you just loose everything.

I assume the update will be cool with integrating on an old save?

You can, with a few exceptions. If you had a base, it will be gone, but all of your resources from it will be stored. When you start a new base, you can add a piece of equipment that will let you get most of it back. There are some item types that are obsolete.

If you didn't put too much work into a base, then everything is good. You'll have your money, nanites, ships, etc.

There are some changes to the systems and stations, so your location may look different. IMO with a procedural setup like this game has, that was probably unavoidable with changes as large as they made. I know it's pissed a few people off, understandably. However, it's not difficult to pick up from roughly where you were (as I did last night) or start a new save. I think the benefits outweigh the downsides overall. With all the updates, I would think one would want to build a new base anyway. Like on a new ringed planet, maybe part-way underwater (which if I understand correctly is possible now?) etc.

Oops looks like you are SOL if you want multiplayer with the GoG version it isn't in there. I am not really interested in it but I am kind of ticked off that it isn't in there given I paid full price for this game when it was released.

That's kind of shitty. I wonder if it's on the way. They should at least give you a Steam key if you bought it elsewhere if it's simply due to platform requirements.

Looks like they're working on it, but it won't be out for a while. I'm not sure why that is. It got all of the other updates except the multiplayer portion. It's supposed to be out this year, so next couple of months maybe?

I wonder if they need some functionality in GOG Galaxy or something that Steam has and GOG doesn't at the moment. I can't think of any other reason that this should be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. The only reason I would want to keep the save was for all the language words learned. Funk doing that again.

Interesting. The only reason I would want to keep the save was for all the language words learned. Funk doing that again.

I still have the words that I learned previously. You're good there. :D If your save has what you need, and you're in a decent place to continue on, I don't see any reason not to actually. (Unless you were starting up multiplayer with new people maybe which is my reason for considering it.)

Otherwise, just build a new base, and keep going I think.

Looks like there's an opt-in experimental branch with a bunch of fixes on Steam. There's also a new tutorial mission in it on how to get your base back etc. I think I'll wait until they push it officially, but it's there if anyone needs it or wants to try it for some reason.

Looks like there's an opt-in experimental branch with a bunch of fixes on Steam. There's also a new tutorial mission in it on how to get your base back etc. I think I'll wait until they push it officially, but it's there if anyone needs it or wants to try it for some reason.

NEXT Experimental Build
Hello everyone,

First of all thanks so much to everyone who has already spent time playing NEXT and letting us know about any issues you’ve experienced. It’s overwhelming to watch thousands of players begin or continue their journey across the universe.

Steam users are able to opt-in to the Experimental Branch, where we have pushed a rapid patch to fix a number of crashes and other problems around save upgrading. We’ll be rolling out these fixes to other platforms as soon as possible.

To play in Experimental, right-click on No Man’s Sky from the Steam library page and select “Properties”. Among the available tabs will be the “BETAS” tab. Select “Code: 3xperimental” in the dropdown menu under “Select the beta you would like to opt into”.

Issues fixed on Experimental:
  • Fixed a crash in creature routines
  • Fixed a crash when multiple players put ammunition into a refiner
  • Fix for occasional crash when receiving mission rewards
  • Fix for crash when adjusting anisotropic filtering settings in the graphics options menu
  • Fix for potential crash in geometry streaming
  • Improvements to texture caching for AMD GPUs

• Fixed an issue where some players still had physical nanites in their inventory that could not be spent at vendors
  • Granted players nanites when they dismantle their Obsolete Technology - spend nanites on new upgrades in Space Stations
  • Added a tutorial mission to guide players through the restoration of their old base
  • Fixed an issue where players were unable to build Frigate Terminals in Creative Mode
  • Fixed an issue where S-Class ships changed appearance
  • Fixed an issue where players were unable to build the Base Cache on their freighter to retrieve compensation for the loss of their freighter base
Fixed an issue where some Exosuit technology was not converted to Obsolete Technology. Please note this does not apply retroactively to save games that have already been upgraded.
Improved the mapping of old substances to new substances during the save upgrade. Please note this does not apply retroactively to save games that have already been upgraded.

We will continue to listen and respond to bug reports on both main and experimental.

Thank you,

Hello Games.

Oh, wait, this is all still in beta? Wheew.. I'll go back to playing something else while it percolates.

Oh, wait, this is all still in beta? Wheew.. I'll go back to playing something else while it percolates.

Well, that list of fixes is an opt-in beta branch on Steam. Like a test version of the proposed fixes. The "Next" update released yesterday was a real release. It's just that they're working on fixing a few things. Probably wouldn't hurt to still let it settle a bit, but the update was in fact a real update.

I will say that the grind in this game is far less now. Getting technology is way faster generally as getting Nanites is super easy as you get it from discovery fairly rapidly.

Back