No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

Save your units. I promise you'll find the best stuff just by exploring.

No doubt! I'm glad I did, at least that time. I'm going around trying to loot crates, etc. for stuff to sell and I think the largest amount of units that I've had is a couple hundred thousand. Getting the 2.3M required for that multi-tool would have taken a lot of grinding for loot, so it was very cool when I was given one because now I can start saving for another ship or something.

As for no map, you are correct. However, you can always back track to where you started. You'll notice each solar system in the star map tells you if it's been discovered or not. It will also say your name if you've discovered it too. So as tedious as it sounds, it's not that bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong here people, but I also believe they've add teleport/quick porting access with the base building update, right?
I'm not sure how it works, but I could swear there were patch notes about it.

And if there is, this will most likely be the easiest way to get back to your original planet.

Yes, once you activate another teleporter, or use one on a space station, you can get back to your home world.

Thanks guys. I know there is the galactic map or whatever but I haven't even gotten to that point because I'm still on the planet where I started the game. Good to know that there is some form of space nav, though.

What I'm talking about is navigation while on a planet. Like yesterday I was tipped off to a downed freighter. So I go and check it out. Don't find much, but it seems like I need to return later (ChoGGi's post earlier on this page confirmed that). Then I leave the freighter to go loot some more or explore another area on the planet and end up very far away from the freighter. How can I get back there?

Also is every surface installation unique? Like if I miss a monolith that would have given me something cool, is that the only place or will another monument on that planet (or another one) trigger the same sequence later on? This single planet alone is so massive, it just doesn't seem feasible to explore everything...especially without a map, etc. So I'm just constantly flying around looking for new places to explore and things that look cool and/or interesting.

And when you guys are talking about returning to your home world / original planet, do you mean the planet that the game starts you on or just whichever one you decide to construct a base on? The planet I started on is OK but not sure it's what I want to call "home" as it's like 69% Tox and not the prettiest of places. I restarted my game 3-4 times trying to land a "good" planet when I was trying to figure out how to get my ship going and finally said screw it, let's see how this goes. So I'm 10 hours in but have been hesitant to set up a base, etc. It seems as though I can move the base if I set one up but it seems pretty costly to build one and right now I'd rather save $ for another ship.

Thanks for the tips, I'm sure I'll have more questions later! I like the fact that the game doesn't spell out everything you can or need to do but guidance in some areas may improve my experience. :)

I wouldn't worry about clearing out landmarks (freighters monoliths), the game throws a lot of randomness around. For better or worse you'll be able to find stuff wherever you go (if you're concerned you can plunk down a marker to get back).
I don't know what the keyboard key is, but press dpad down to bring up your build menu, you can plunk down a signal booster which'll point out drop pods, monoliths, buildable base locations, and resource clumps (get all the monoliths you want if you want).

Don't put down a base till you find a planet you want to keep it on (you can't move it to another system without being blocked from doing base side missions). Probably be fixed soon enough, but till that happens...

Last edited:
I picked the game up yesterday. So far I've done a couple of system jumps and my log says I need to look for an Atlas Terminal. I thought I jumped to a system that had one, but alas, my sensors can't find jack, and now the Galactic Map is trying to send me to another system that supposedly has one. I'm probably going to start farming and try to save up for another ship, I *really* need more storage.

Alright, I caved...seems like I should be able to squeeze $24 worth of content out of it. :p

Hoping to get some actual full co-op MP eventually.

Alright, I caved...seems like I should be able to squeeze $24 worth of content out of it. :p

I'm hoping for the same thing. I know they went from saying limited multi-player to pure ambiguity, but it looks like they're heading in the right direction. My guess is that they did this intermediate step to test net-code without going to far, and breaking the rest of their update. I would think they'd approach this very carefully, so they don't piss everyone off.

Yeah, I think you'll be able to get $24 out of it. :D

I'm going back and reading the thread now since I wasn't following this game until recently (currently on page 10). Interesting to see that some current fans of the game were critics of it back then. :)

In my meager 10 hours of play I feel like I've only turned over a couple of grains of sand on a giant beach. There is sooo much more out there for me to see and be able to do, so yeah I think it's a solid buy for $24.

Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

I'm going back and reading the thread now since I wasn't following this game until recently (currently on page 10). Interesting to see that some current fans of the game were critics of it back then. :)

In my meager 10 hours of play I feel like I've only turned over a couple of grains of sand on a giant beach. There is sooo much more out there for me to see and be able to do, so yeah I think it's a solid buy for $24.

Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Well, it sounds like they really put their noses to the grindstone and added a lot of functionality since launch. That, and the pricetag, make it seem infinitely more appealing now.

Still no excuse for the launch behavior, but I'm willing to give it a chance now.

Well, it sounds like they really put their noses to the grindstone and added a lot of functionality since launch. That, and the pricetag, make it seem infinitely more appealing now.

Oh, for sure. So far I think I can conclude that the game isn't perfect (no surprise there as very few games are) and there are probably some things that could have been done better/differently but the game has a lot to offer and I've definitely spent $24 on worse. I'm not going to harp too much on anything since I've yet to even leave my first planet and go space-trotting, but I can say that if you love the feeling of being able to go anywhere and explore without artificial walls, this game offers that. It does seem like the perfect after work game to just get lost in and just chill out for a while. Speaking of which, it's time to go home! :)

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Oh, for sure. So far I think I can conclude that the game isn't perfect (no surprise there as very few games are) and there are probably some things that could have been done better/differently but the game has a lot to offer and I've definitely spent $24 on worse. I'm not going to harp too much on anything since I've yet to even leave my first planet and go space-trotting, but I can say that if you love the feeling of being able to go anywhere and explore without artificial walls, this game offers that. It does seem like the perfect after work game to just get lost in and just chill out for a while. Speaking of which, it's time to go home! :)

An hour left before I get to do the same. :D

We should make a [H] solar system and make bases all over the planets so we can all meet up with ease.
And then down the road, when multiplayer is more intuitive, we could start doing some trade stuff with each other. It may be pretty neat to start setting it up now.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to get around a hung objective? I charged my warp drive two quickly after repairing it, and now I seem to need to stumble upon some antimatter (none on the space station) to build another unit of fuel.

Do you have a recipe for Anti-matter in your inventory when you click on a blank spot? You should just have to buy some suspension fluid from the star base and make anti-matter. If you're truly hung on that objective I'd just start over, doesn't sound like you're too far into it yet.

I played this a tiny bit this evening. So far it's....okay. The start is very slow and maybe I got a shitty starting spawn, but I ended up on a planet with radiation constantly eating away at me and my ship up on a big plateau that is only accessible with the jetpack from certain angles. Very few deposits around me and my stamina or whatever seems to be depleting rapidly with no way to boost it.

I also didn't really appreciate the fact that when I mined some Plutonium (the only deposit for miles around) it vanished into thin air as my computer said my inventory was full. So...that stuff is just gone, then? It didn't seem to fall to the ground.

Graphically, it's okay...I set the FOV to 100 and it still feels too narrow.

I do like the random exploration aspect but so far the planet I'm on just feels fairly bland. There are some small creatures (this crab thing appeared in a cave and scared the shit out of me, I hadn't seen any life on the planet until then) but nothing super interesting, and even the resource deposits seem few and far between.

Will certainly keep playing but initial impressions are not stellar.

For my new game I restarted a couple times till I got a planet I liked.
You can manually set the FOV in No Man's Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS\TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML, you'll need to make it read-only to keep the larger FOV.
You could always head to a new planet once you repair your ship.

P.S. inventory and stamina/jetpack in this game suck ass :)
Someone did make a stacking mod for the inventory, but it hasn't worked in awhile (I use a CE script so I can just ignore stamina/jetpack).

I played this a tiny bit this evening. So far it's....okay. The start is very slow and maybe I got a shitty starting spawn, but I ended up on a planet with radiation constantly eating away at me and my ship up on a big plateau that is only accessible with the jetpack from certain angles. Very few deposits around me and my stamina or whatever seems to be depleting rapidly with no way to boost it.

I also didn't really appreciate the fact that when I mined some Plutonium (the only deposit for miles around) it vanished into thin air as my computer said my inventory was full. So...that stuff is just gone, then? It didn't seem to fall to the ground.

I do like the random exploration aspect but so far the planet I'm on just feels fairly bland. There are some small creatures (this crab thing appeared in a cave and scared the shit out of me, I hadn't seen any life on the planet until then) but nothing super interesting, and even the resource deposits seem few and far between.

On my phone, so will be short. That does happen. The first play I did, I just stuck it out, and eventually got rolling just fine.

This time after I reset, I restarted about three times until I liked what I saw. You get a feel for that after a while. I'd recommend restarting. Something simple like cold or storms is easier to deal with. It will change with time of day wheras poisonous or radioactive atmosphere won't go away.

On my phone, so will be short. That does happen. The first play I did, I just stuck it out, and eventually got rolling just fine.

This time after I reset, I restarted about three times until I liked what I saw. You get a feel for that after a while. I'd recommend restarting. Something simple like cold or storms is easier to deal with. It will change with time of day wheras poisonous or radioactive atmosphere won't go away.

I'm on a radioactive starting planet, plenty of nodes and plutonium, but Thamium9 is pretty much non existent. I picked up a crashed class B hauler ship I'm hopping around it to compensate.

Asteroids tend to be a mix of Thamium9 and Iron

PSA for anyone doing The First Traveler story mission
After you get the mission to head back to your base and build a Mind Arc; be very aware of limiting your teleporting.
It only stores 4 locations, and it will overwrite the location of Artemis (which could be half way across the galaxy).
I was messing around with my save file for awhile trying to get something working :(

reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/6t8s3f/spoiler_worst_quest_design_choice_ive_ever_seen/

For those wanting to get around a planet a bit more easily, look into adding an Exocraft Terminal to your base, hire a technician (might need to be Vy'keen so hopefully you're in a Vy'keen system or at least have some on your nearest space station. :D ) then run some missions for the tech after he starts working for you. Pretty soon you'll be able to build ground based vehicles. It does require leaving the planet a few times, and if you're not in a Vy'keen system, you might have to jump systems once. You should be able to get the blueprints and resources in your starting system though. (I may have just been lucky there, but I didn't have to jump out of system.)

I'm on a radioactive starting planet, plenty of nodes and plutonium, but Thamium9 is pretty much non existent. I picked up a crashed class B hauler ship I'm hopping around it to compensate.

You might already know this, but Thamium9 (aside from asteroids as mentioned above) is also in a couple types of red flower/plant, and you can buy from a trade terminal typically too for not too much money (in a pinch). A lot of times you can find these types of things, and Plutonium in caves, which are "regulated" environmentally, so you don't need to worry about outside radiation.

Some of your issues can be addressed, I think. I'm surprised that Plutonium is the only deposit available to you locally. Were you able to repair your scanner and scan for nearby minerals? Surely they set rules so that you'd have the basic materials needed to get your scanner and ship going at the very least. You should have some nearby Iron deposits, as well as Thamium9 and Carbon. I was also able to find Platinum by venturing a little further out, but I don't think that it's needed for anything at the beginning.

Anyway, if you really don't have local access to the basic materials needed initially, it might be worth restarting for another roll of the dice. Once you get your ship operational, you can always relocate to an area with more plentiful resources.

Anything that depletes on your HUD (life support, etc.) can be recharged, usually by isotopes. You mentioned your stamina depleting rapidly with no way to boost it. Are you talking about your sprint stamina? If so, it does diminish pretty rapidly but it automatically recharges and I installed an exosuit mod that boosts that stat a bit.

As far as mined materials disappearing, yes if your inventory slots are completely full and you continue to mine it'll tell you that your inventory is full and you may miss out on a few pieces until you cease using the mining beam but, at least on my planet, everything is so plentiful that a few lost pieces here or there isn't a big deal. I'll either transfer excess materials to my ship to free up room in my suit inventory or will use them to recharge or craft things. You're correct in that excess pieces don't fall to the ground but I haven't found anything so rare and valuable that it mattered. If that changes, I'll have to be more mindful to keep an eye on my inventory when mining.

I agree, the default FOV of (75 I think?) was TERRIBLE. I too increased it to 100 which is much better. I found the manual FOV fix that was posted above...haven't applied it yet but that should take care of that.

Sorry if I was unclear, iron was super plentiful and carbon was...okay. Plutonium had like two tiny deposits that were within scanner range, period... And they vanished when my inventory filled up. Zero Thaumium9 anywhere near me, so I couldn't restore my stamina (which for me, did not ever recharge)

I think I will just restart, I'm not that far in. Thanks for the tips all. :)

Sorry if I was unclear, iron was super plentiful and carbon was...okay. Plutonium had like two tiny deposits that were within scanner range, period... And they vanished when my inventory filled up. Zero Thaumium9 anywhere near me, so I couldn't restore my stamina (which for me, did not ever recharge)

I think I will just restart, I'm not that far in. Thanks for the tips all. :)

by stamina it sounds like you're referring to your health which is the bar below the suit bar on the bottom left (suit bar changes colors based on environment I believe). The stamina Lateralus referred to was for sprinting which shows up when you press shift as a square running man icon in the bottom right, iirc. Sprinting stamina recharges when you stop sprinting/running, whereas the health bar can be 'refilled' with certain isotopes like Th9 I'm pretty sure.

side note I've barely played and get confused by all the weird elements all the time, so no guarantees what I said is correct, lol

by stamina it sounds like you're referring to your health which is the bar below the suit bar on the bottom left (suit bar changes colors based on environment I believe). The stamina Lateralus referred to was for sprinting which shows up when you press shift as a square running man icon in the bottom right, iirc. Sprinting stamina recharges when you stop sprinting/running, whereas the health bar can be 'refilled' with certain isotopes like Th9 I'm pretty sure.

side note I've barely played and get confused by all the weird elements all the time, so no guarantees what I said is correct, lol

Yeah, I believe you are correct - I was referring to the white bar in the lower left which seems to dip very quickly when I sprint. And yep, I think you need the Thaumium9 which I could never find any of within range of my ship. :(

You might already know this, but Thamium9 (aside from asteroids as mentioned above) is also in a couple types of red flower/plant, and you can buy from a trade terminal typically too for not too much money (in a pinch). A lot of times you can find these types of things, and Plutonium in caves, which are "regulated" environmentally, so you don't need to worry about outside radiation.

I still haven't left the planet, and the caves I have really don't offer anything other than plutonium. I'm enjoying puttering around :)

Found out that I could make a lot of money by mining and selling Aluminum (one of the most valuable materials on my planet). I had been just selling little alien trinkets for $10K-$20K a pop, but mining is more lucrative (and haven't even gotten into farming yet). Built up about 500K, got tired of flying around looking for more Al deposits and finally left my first planet.

Wow, this is cool! Sense of scale = achieved. Whomever criticized the planets earlier in the thread as being small and "Pluto sized", well I don't know their scale compared to our actual planets, but I don't think that I would want them any larger. They look awesome from space and are plenty massive enough to find tons of stuff on when you're traversing them. So no complaints there.

Made it to the space station. Neat. Warped to the next planet which had similar conditions to my first one when I scanned it (dang) but when I actually got there it looked different and had different life forms and minerals (cool!).

Gotta quit for the night but yeah, I'm gonna enjoy this game for a while. I think my experience today is going to change my play style. I probably won't hang around too long on any one planet unless there's something really cool there. I'll probably drop down, scan around for new life and resources, maybe do some mining and look for new monoliths and things of that nature...enough time to get a feel for the place but certainly not trying to cover the majority of it like I did previously. Else it'll take me forever to progress. But that's the cool thing...you can spend as much or as little time as you want doing whatever. I absolutely love the fact that the game doesn't force you to do anything. You're totally free to go at your own pace. I can't WAIT to find a lush green one like I've seen in some screens. Set up a base, do some farming, wonder if there are any lonely ladies within a few trillion miles (lol).

I don't want to give too much away because part of the joy in this game is discovering things for yourself, but Mav...if you didn't know this already you can press P and then use A/D for some game tips and a section where you can upload your discoveries for $1K-$5K each. It won't make you rich but I didn't even know about it until tonight. It's free money...I got $30K by uploading all of the discoveries from my first planet. Those screens also give you info on some pretty cool sounding stuff (farming, vehicles, base building, portals, etc.)

I restarted and got a much better spawn. Just got hyperdrive access, been playing for a bit.

I guess my gripes so far with the gameplay is that the planets all kind of feel same-y so far, and it feels reeeeeeeeeeeeeally grindy.

Also, the UI just seems terrible...a number of times I tried to back out of something or go to another screen and the whole UI just closes, losing whatever it was I was doing (for example, examining a newly offered multi-tool or something)

Will keep playing but it's really not hooking me like I had hoped. The concept is pretty cool overall, though.

I restarted and got a much better spawn. Just got hyperdrive access, been playing for a bit.

I guess my gripes so far with the gameplay is that the planets all kind of feel same-y so far, and it feels reeeeeeeeeeeeeally grindy.

Also, the UI just seems terrible...a number of times I tried to back out of something or go to another screen and the whole UI just closes, losing whatever it was I was doing (for example, examining a newly offered multi-tool or something)

Will keep playing but it's really not hooking me like I had hoped. The concept is pretty cool overall, though.

I haven't really had many issues with the UI. I know what you mean about it feeling grindy, but this is so different from anything else I've been playing I don't mind. The games that I've been playing lately are in totally different genres and not grindy at all, and I'm glad to get a break from shooting stuff and having an arrow guide me around.

I'm hoping that like some other games I've played, once I build my character/mining beam/ship up a bit that'll get better. Terraria felt really grindy at first too, but after a while you could mine more efficiently and found some really cool stuff. It was almost like a chore at first, but I ended up spending a ton of enjoyable hours in that game.

Last edited:
I have been debating restarting on survival difficulty. Normal seems too easy

Do it! Normal is easy, but I like it. This is my relaxation game, I'm not looking for a huge challenge. It could be cool to play that way, with more hostile environments and what have you, but I just want to zone out and go planet hopping. :cool:

Do it! Normal is easy, but I like it. This is my relaxation game, I'm not looking for a huge challenge. It could be cool to play that way, with more hostile environments and what have you, but I just want to zone out and go planet hopping. :cool:

Yeah thats kinda whats stopping me from doing it. I don't need Dark Souls creeping in on this style of gameplay lol.
[

Holy mother of God! So I decided to start a new game, I made some mistakes in my previous game and I learned a few things. Decided to start over with that knowledge. Look what I found on the planet I woke up on!!

cm0XoOV.jpg

I found a 26-slot one (a B-Grade fighter no less) and decided to try it. First, I discovered you don't accept/transfer, and then try to exit and reload to "not get the ship" because while the log still says you can get your old ship back by checking it, it was.. gone. Vanished. So I was stuck on a toxic planet, with a ship that needed a ton of Heridium to fix, and I spent the better part of two hours running from cave to cave between storms to find the ONE spire of Heridium on the planet I was on.

After finally getting it off the ground, I realized that fixing all of the damaged storage compartments is gonna take a while. The price goes up a bunch EVERY slot. However, despite being all fixed mechanically, it still has this entertaining knocking sound like it's about to fall apart any second.

As I just started playing, I have no idea what "good farming" would be. I discovered Emeril not only sells fairly well and seems to be everywhere, but the sentries don't seem interested in me strip mining it out of huge holes in the ground where I tend to find it. One time I had about 1500 in my inventory and was just finishing off emptying a massive crater of the stuff and a sentry was just floating around, messing with the wildlife. At one point if even went into the crater, and then just came out again. It never even scanned me. Is this normal?

Ah, so they haven't fixed that bug yet :)

I find sentries don't care about you, as long as you don't mine when they're close. If I'm not in a shooting mood I run up close to whichever is around, and let it scan me. It should keep away from you from then on (usually).

You can always just take it out and the two reinforcements afterwards.

P.S. I find "good farming" is an aquasphere, sac venom, or gravitino ball planet.

Remember to check the planets trading station too. Often there are times where the terminal is selling stuff for cheap and the space station is paying 3 to 5 ( or more)times what you paid for it (or visa versa). Easy money this way too.

Anybody get the Exocraft multi tool yet? How did you acquire it? Just a random blue print? Or did you have a quest to get access to it? I'm digging that they added this and yet mad I can't touch all of these exotic elements with out having one!

There are planets where the sentries are hostile btw, they will attack you on site. Also pirates will be more likely to attack you if you have a ton of valuables on your ship (only in space). Also if you put down a beacon locator or whtever its called, you can choose an option on the device to have it locate a resource for you (heridium for example).

Found out that I could make a lot of money by mining and selling Aluminum (one of the most valuable materials on my planet). I had been just selling little alien trinkets for $10K-$20K a pop, but mining is more lucrative (and haven't even gotten into farming yet). Built up about 500K, got tired of flying around looking for more Al deposits and finally left my first planet.

Wow, this is cool! Sense of scale = achieved. Whomever criticized the planets earlier in the thread as being small and "Pluto sized", well I don't know their scale compared to our actual planets, but I don't think that I would want them any larger. They look awesome from space and are plenty massive enough to find tons of stuff on when you're traversing them. So no complaints there.

Made it to the space station. Neat. Warped to the next planet which had similar conditions to my first one when I scanned it (dang) but when I actually got there it looked different and had different life forms and minerals (cool!).

Gotta quit for the night but yeah, I'm gonna enjoy this game for a while. I think my experience today is going to change my play style. I probably won't hang around too long on any one planet unless there's something really cool there. I'll probably drop down, scan around for new life and resources, maybe do some mining and look for new monoliths and things of that nature...enough time to get a feel for the place but certainly not trying to cover the majority of it like I did previously. Else it'll take me forever to progress. But that's the cool thing...you can spend as much or as little time as you want doing whatever. I absolutely love the fact that the game doesn't force you to do anything. You're totally free to go at your own pace. I can't WAIT to find a lush green one like I've seen in some screens. Set up a base, do some farming, wonder if there are any lonely ladies within a few trillion miles (lol).

I don't want to give too much away because part of the joy in this game is discovering things for yourself, but Mav...if you didn't know this already you can press P and then use A/D for some game tips and a section where you can upload your discoveries for $1K-$5K each. It won't make you rich but I didn't even know about it until tonight. It's free money...I got $30K by uploading all of the discoveries from my first planet. Those screens also give you info on some pretty cool sounding stuff (farming, vehicles, base building, portals, etc.)

That's kind of how I've played most of the time. In almost 40 total hours (two different plays) I've found maybe three planets that I spent a lot of time on just due to their coolness, lushness, or levels of mystery. There are some planets that just naturally make you want to investigate something further, and usually it pays off in some way. When I find one like this, I exhaust as many possibilities as I can on it, label it, maybe leave some things behind and make a note of the system. Otherwise, I hop from planet to planet, station to station, scan for monuments and monoliths, learn as many words as I can, then head onto the next one. Only with this last update I've been following a cool story at the same time.

Back