No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

Wow, that is interesting.

Had no idea this even happened, and out of the blue I just decided to tell my wife to start playing.

sounds like some nerds at hg were watching and inspired by a certain cheesy netflix show

It's probably portals are going to be supported soon. Biggest mystery in NMS. That and the multiuniverse/centre/etc conundrum.
I am looking forward to playing again when I get a new mobo/cpu. Threadripper can't come soon enough.

It's probably portals are going to be supported soon. Biggest mystery in NMS. That and the multiuniverse/centre/etc conundrum.
I am looking forward to playing again when I get a new mobo/cpu. Threadripper can't come soon enough.

Stuff they didn't bother adding to the game to get it out the door = mystery.

Shite ending = conundrum.

Okay.

It's a fun game for a bit, don't get me wrong. My 4 year old loves it.

Seems like a desperate attempt to remain relevant but, I guess we'll see.

Game still has not dropped to a price I am comfortable paying for it yet.

Seems like a desperate attempt to remain relevant but, I guess we'll see.

Game still has not dropped to a price I am comfortable paying for it yet.

I've seen it for less than half price a few times over the last year or so.

I still can't see even paying $30 for this.

I'm not trying to troll. I really don't get how this thing is even remotely... viable? Whatever word you want to use.

I paid $45, and feel I got just about that much worth of play out of it. That was before all of the recent additions to the game too. I actually haven't played to much since they added everything. I've been meaning to get back into it, but I've got a few other things I want to play first. This game is great for filling in when there's a lull. I just haven't had a lull for several months. It's very relaxing, and is exactly the sort of thing I like to play in between games that require more though / skill / etc.

I have no interest in playing this no matter the price...too generic with empty exploration

Reactions: DF-1
like this
I would probably buy it for $20 just to see what it's like. It looks like it has enough gameplay for that price, but anything above that...no thank you.

I can't imagine that sales are good enough to justify the $60 price tag at this point, and it seems to have been on sale very infrequently and no less than $30 as far as I can tell from price history. Just seems odd to me.

Games like GTA V can get away with it to some extent but...not this, IMO.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Stuff they didn't bother adding to the game to get it out the door = mystery.

Shite ending = conundrum.

Okay.

It's a fun game for a bit, don't get me wrong. My 4 year old loves it.

Fair call but the real problem or way to hide this culpability, is that there is no instruction manual. So by all intents and purposes it's a mystery until proven otherwise. It didn't seem like they were active though in code.. we'll find out in due course.

The ending is debatable and different depending on what you do. There are a few different ones that are known. There are also things achieved in the game by very few players that are not publicly known as to how. So it's hard to judge this game on that alone.

I didn't play it because it's Doom or some AAA title. I played it because it was a good escape - just go wander around, explore, see crazy stuff. No major goals or demands on you.

I enjoyed this game as a casual time waster, but there was never the compelling story or game mechanic that hooked me. When the updates came out, I enjoyed it again as a building simulator, though it felt too constrained and narrow for my tastes. If they bring Portals to the forefront and add some mysterious new 'hidden' ending (speculation on my part), then I will enjoy it a third time.

PORTALS!!?????

Holy shit I need to get a hold me over Ryzen rig sorted ASAP. I have not even bothered trying this game on the temp i3, can just see it being frustrating.

I have been tempted to install NMS again to see what it is like now, I haven't played it since last August or September, whenever it came out. The updates over the last year all seemed somewhat interesting and now that they have been putting more of the originally promised things back in the game I think it could be atleast playable, I did manage to put 50 hours into it last time I played and don't really remember much of it other than my inventory always being full.

Better, but I'm still shocked its default is $60.

Well, those Activision bastards still have Black Ops 2 at $60 and that came out almost 5 years ago! And also the original COD that came out in 2003 is still $20!

In short, nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to greed.

nes games 20 years ago were also 60 dollars, some 80 even, and think about the amount of time and size of development teams... I say we got it good these days. at least, in terms of price...

nes games 20 years ago were also 60 dollars, some 80 even, and think about the amount of time and size of development teams... I say we got it good these days. at least, in terms of price...

I agree but for me that's beside the point when it comes to this game given the outright dishonesty and shenanigans. I really halfway expected it to be yanked. Maybe it should have been.

Sorta. To buy a full game nowadays will cost you at least $90 once you include the DLC. AAA games where the whole game is included for $60 are few and far between. However, Multiplayer wasn't a part of older games, so that is extra.

like this

Yeah also think about how many more (MILLIONS) of gamers there are these days versus 20 years ago. More gamers, and MUCH HIGHER development costs...I'm sure it probably evens out.

like this
I really halfway expected it to be yanked. Maybe it should have been.
better yet nobody buys the game and the studio goes out of business... but people are too gullible and pre-order anyways... why people still believe marketing/saleman is the real tragedy here IMO, not some entitlement feeling surround game prices...

like this
Hmmm, wondering if it's worth buying now...

I'm in the VAST minority, and actually liked it in the first place, but with each major update it's gotten closer to what everyone dreamed it would be. With this next update, I think it's pretty much what everyone wanted.

(Everyone's expectations were definitely too high in the first place, mine included (it was an easy thing to do, because the idea was exactly what I wanted...) but I think it's pretty close now.) They really should have just waited a year to release it, but... people will hate you no matter what. If you're late, they hate you. If you rush it, they hate you.

(Everyone's expectations were definitely too high in the first place, mine included (it was an easy thing to do, because the idea was exactly what I wanted...) but I think it's pretty close now.) They really should have just waited a year to release it, but... people will hate you no matter what. If you're late, they hate you. If you rush it, they hate you.

I think expectations were on par with the hype generated by Hello Games themselves. Unfortunately for them, they didn't deliver on that.

I think expectations were on par with the hype generated by Hello Games themselves. Unfortunately for them, they didn't deliver on that.

True. That is pretty spot-on. Despite the fact that I like the game, I'm under no delusions about how that was all handled.

On the other hand, it's just a game, and for people to get into that big an uproar over it was pretty silly IMO in the first place. Oh well. I just look at as I had the $45 laying around for a game that I thought might be cool, and I played it enough to where I didn't feel like I lost out. No big deal. The cool thing is that they've added so much to it now, and it's been so long since I played it, that when I get back to it, there's going to be a lot of new stuff for me to try out. For me, my small investment, or gamble, or wager, or whatever you want to call that $45 paid off. For some people maybe that's too much of a gamble. At this point in my life I can afford a gamble here and there, and so far I really have never felt like I was just totally screwed out of my money when I bought a game.

Then again, I bought Daikatana for $1.53 as a joke, and have yet to actually launch it. :p

I'm in the VAST minority, and actually liked it in the first place, but with each major update it's gotten closer to what everyone dreamed it would be. With this next update, I think it's pretty much what everyone wanted.

If it weren't for so many good games being right on the horizon of Sept/Oct I'd probably jump back into this. But my backlog is about to become HUGE. Destiny 2, Divinity Original Sin 2, Battlefront 2, Total War Warhammer 2, god knows what else.

True. That is pretty spot-on. Despite the fact that I like the game, I'm under no delusions about how that was all handled.

On the other hand, it's just a game, and for people to get into that big an uproar over it was pretty silly IMO in the first place. Oh well. I just look at as I had the $45 laying around for a game that I thought might be cool, and I played it enough to where I didn't feel like I lost out. No big deal. The cool thing is that they've added so much to it now, and it's been so long since I played it, that when I get back to it, there's going to be a lot of new stuff for me to try out. For me, my small investment, or gamble, or wager, or whatever you want to call that $45 paid off. For some people maybe that's too much of a gamble. At this point in my life I can afford a gamble here and there, and so far I really have never felt like I was just totally screwed out of my money when I bought a game.

Then again, I bought Daikatana for $1.53 as a joke, and have yet to actually launch it. :p

That's fair, and I have no problem with people who liked the game. If you did, more power to you, I am glad you feel as though you got your money's worth.

I think the uproar really came from the fact that people felt Sean Murray straight-up lied about the features of the game and then when called out after release, Hello Games just went dark for a long period of time. I think the uproar was fairly justified, though as you said, it is just a game and it's not like people lost their life savings.

Back