No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

Potential SPOILERS if you haven't seen the galactic center leak yet (hint: it's insultingly disappointing)

was anyone expecting something else lol?...I never thought the center of the universe was going to be worth the grind...almost nothing would have been worth it unless once you reached the center the game gave you a refund...now that would be mind blowing

Last edited:
was anyone expecting something else lol?...I never thought the center of the universe was going to be worth the grind...almost nothing would have been worth it unless once you reached the center the game gave you a refund...now that would be mind blowing

star-trek-v-the-final-frontier-god.jpg

When it was advertised as the end game and that everything was going to get crazier/weirder as you got to the center, you would think the journey would be worth it.

Unfortunately, I couldn't even make it past my second planet, and from what I read, I started out on great planets with lots of life/flora. Can't imagine how much boring it would of been on a barren planet.

I wasn't paying close attention to the development so I never realized how much Sean Murray outright lied and told half truths during the months before release...I was watching the TotalBiscuit and Angry Joe videos where they show many specific examples of Murray lying and showing footage that was never in the game...I was giving Hello Games a pass before but now I think this is on par with the Colonial Marines fiasco...with A:CM it was mostly about downgrading graphics while NMS is about downgrading gameplay...to be fair maybe (just maybe) Sean Murray originally had a different vision for the game and he was telling the truth at the time as things changed during development but the amount of misinformation is too much to be just a simple mistake...watching the new Star Citizen footage I was blown away and realized how it makes NMS look even worse

After about 60 hours of gameplay, I've maxed out ship/suit/multi slots. I've installed all of the tech. I've completed all of the milestones except the extreme surivial ones. There's nothing left to do in the game except exploring new planets and maybe max out alien languages. The game is really barebone as is.
I wasn't paying close attention to the development so I never realized how much Sean Murray outright lied and told half truths during the months before release...I was watching the TotalBiscuit and Angry Joe videos where they show many specific examples of Murray lying and showing footage that was never in the game...I was giving Hello Games a pass before but now I think this is on par with the Colonial Marines fiasco...with A:CM it was mostly about downgrading graphics while NMS is about downgrading gameplay...to be fair maybe (just maybe) Sean Murray originally had a different vision for the game and he was telling the truth at the time as things changed during development but the amount of misinformation is too much to be just a simple mistake...watching the new Star Citizen footage I was blown away and realized how it makes NMS look even worse

I'm not sure how watching a new Star Citizen footage making NMS look even worse than it is already is. The Star Citizen footage is still a tech demo with zero content. Wow you can land. Is that it?

After about 60 hours of gameplay, I've maxed out ship/suit/multi slots. I've installed all of the tech. I've completed all of the milestones except the extreme surivial ones. There's nothing left to do in the game except exploring new planets and maybe max out alien languages. The game is really barebone as is.

With that much of it under your belt: How much do you and others really think they can (or will?) realistically do post release for this game because there is potential there and here in the early goings, PR issues aside, the support from the devs looks promising.

I'm not sure how watching a new Star Citizen footage making NMS look even worse than it is already is. The Star Citizen footage is still a tech demo with zero content. Wow you can land. Is that it?

That thing's ambition is off the charts and jaw dropping but... I am wondering if it's way too ambitious for its own good.

60 hours spent in a barebones game? Did you enjoy yourself? I'd call it a win.

There are certainly many problems with NMS, but I'm still enjoying it, wandering around and finding that one last @#%* animal on the planet and sightseeing. I do wonder why I only seem to have a shipboard weapon lead indicator once every few ships, but I did fully translate my first encounter last night.

Star Citizen has been playable in Alpha form for awhile now...and yes even something small like a ship entering a planets atmosphere and landing is done way better then NMS...it's the little details that mean a lot...not to mention the graphics look worlds better then NMS...plus the interaction and feeling of a real universe is what is missing from NMS...

Arguably, that's the difference about a hundred people and no publisher can do. Not to knock NMS, but StarCitizen is really shaping up to be a high water mark in graphics and physics, no matter the whole gameplay...

I'll probably be married w/children by the time No Mans Sky gets meaningful content and is considered 'finished'

While my grandkids will probably be downloading Star Citizen for their children on its release date.

I'll probably be married w/children by the time No Mans Sky gets meaningful content and is considered 'finished'

While my grandkids will probably be downloading Star Citizen for their children on its release date.
My money is on NMS getting meaningful content before Star Citizen being released.

My money is on having both, because why the eff not? I've got a nice mid-range ship for SC, and I'm playing NMS and having fun with it right now.

I'll have to watch that when I get home. Joe is a little over the top for me, but he usually shoots straight.

On a side note, I Paltinumed last night (all achiievements), so I'm probably going to find a nice lush planet in a blue star system and park it for a while. After 60 jumps I'm still 160k LY's from the core. No rush to get there for me. After some content is released and I'm done with the other games on my backlog, I'll pick up where I left off.

Well, Patch 3 fixed all of my most immediate issues.

At 1080p, high, with FXAA; I can now, at least, have a legit experience with the fps locked to 30.

(I blame my ancient CPU for being unable to rock 60fps)

Still, for 60 bucks.... If it was $40, that'd be acceptable.

I feel like beta tester.

I don't get the comparison between NMS and Star Citizen, completely different games with different goals. I guess because SC showed planetary landing?

I don't get the comparison between NMS and Star Citizen, completely different games with different goals. I guess because SC showed planetary landing?
Well, I think the expectations of NMS and how it took a number of half-assed shortcuts gives credence to Star Citizen taking forever to do things right. At least that's what I hope SC is doing.

Well, I think the expectations of NMS and how it took a number of half-assed shortcuts gives credence to Star Citizen taking forever to do things right. At least that's what I hope SC is doing.

Until it's released a decade from now, and everyone is posting the same shit in that thread.

So I had fun for about 70 hours and have most of the achievements other than finding all the damn creatures (somehow 1 or 2 would be impossible to find) so the game was worth it for me. I think the technology is landmark in a way and was happy to be a part of it. I can see how other people would be disappointed with it though and with any luck, future games will take this tech and make it better.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Yea- that last critter in every planet I decide to finish is always hidden in a cave or super rare. But it's fun when the last one I find is a fat low flying Watto /T-Rex thing that decided to try to eat me with sentinels watching. :ROFLMAO:

They are comparing the overhyping of NMS to the overhyping of Star Citizen. Which is like a black hole calling a kettle black.

Nice! Thanks for posting! I haven't had a chance to check out any of the mods yet. However, the patch definitely cleared up the upscaling issues, so that's nice. The game is now fully displayed in the correct resolution for me.

Seen this honest review?

LOL...man I need to start doing game reviews...the same things I've been saying for months are what everyone is saying now...nothing but boring exploration, repetitive as hell, poor graphics etc...only thing the game has going for it is an interesting color palette

LOL...man I need to start doing game reviews...the same things I've been saying for months are what everyone is saying now...nothing but boring exploration, repetitive as hell, poor graphics etc...only thing the game has going for it is an interesting color palette
To each his own. I actually prefer "boring exploration" as you put it.

Back