No Man Sky Goes Underwater with Abyss Update

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
In spite of a rocky launch, No Man's Sky is still alive and kicking. Following a big update earlier this year, Hello Games are launching the "Abyss" update today. As the name suggests, the update adds underwater ruins, a variety of new creatures, new vehicle upgrades and updated visuals. The full patch notes are on Hello Game's site.

Check out the update's trailer here.

Explore the terrors of the deep in The Abyss update. Introducing aquatic environments with over 5 times more variety, varied creature behaviours, improved underwater visuals and much more.

Looking forward to grabbing this title after a couple more polishes.

One thing I'm not a fan of is the interface feels a bit cryptic and arbitrary in its functional logic, not very user friendly. I can get used to that but really, would be nice if someone could Mod a better UI for it - ala Skyrim. One can dream.

I bought this on sale a few months ago after the big update and I have to really give it to Hello Games. They could have just cut and run after their abysmal launch but they have really stuck with the game, made huge improvements and just really turned it around completely. All without charging their customers more money to fix it. *cough*bungie*cough*

I bought this on sale a few months ago after the big update and I have to really give it to Hello Games. They could have just cut and run after their abysmal launch but they have really stuck with the game, made huge improvements and just really turned it around completely. All without charging their customers more money to fix it. *cough*bungie*cough*
I was going to ask if it worth picking up. Waiting to see what they do with the steam sale. Might have to finally pull the trigger on this game.

Game is much better now and IMO closer to what would be a worthy product. It is a shame it had such a painful launch. I enjoy playing and am glad they are keeping up with it.

wait.... "No Mans Sky".... set in the Ocean.... what am I missing? Is it just me or does this strike anyone else as a tad awkward ? :facepalm:

Not going to bother as they wouldn't acknowledge they left off support for AMD cards early on and didn't bother to tell anyone. Pretty snakey. Developers have no credibility now.

Does anyone know if caves ever got updated? I remember before the game launched Sean talked about how caves went on for miles and you could go exploring only to realize once released that ALL the caves are the same on all planets and they all are just constant repeats of themselves.

Super disappointed honestly...I was looking forward to seeing more mysterious/dangerous happenings in caves the deeper you went..

wait.... "No Mans Sky".... set in the Ocean.... what am I missing? Is it just me or does this strike anyone else as a tad awkward ? :facepalm:

You explore. Before oceans were just there with very little incentive to explore them.

Does anyone know if caves ever got updated? I remember before the game launched Sean talked about how caves went on for miles and you could go exploring only to realize once released that ALL the caves are the same on all planets and they all are just constant repeats of themselves.

Super disappointed honestly...I was looking forward to seeing more mysterious/dangerous happenings in caves the deeper you went..

Maybe that's next? Caves do get boring after a bit.

No Man's Sky: spelunker

One thing I'm not a fan of is the interface feels a bit cryptic and arbitrary in its functional logic, not very user friendly. I can get used to that but really, would be nice if someone could Mod a better UI for it - ala Skyrim. One can dream.
Probably unlikely, if I recall from that eyefinity mod fix someone did (not updated in awhile): all the ui stuff is xmly with hardcoded values, any mod would likely need babysitting each update.

I was going to ask if it worth picking up. Waiting to see what they do with the steam sale. Might have to finally pull the trigger on this game.

I feel like It's definitely worth the $30 (50% off) I paid for it back in August from GreenManGaming.

You explore. Before oceans were just there with very little incentive to explore them.
Gotta say I haven't played a huge lot of this game... but I don't recall much at all in the way of water, most planets were rocky over just about all the surface.

No Man's Sky - Subnautica update LOL.

Unfortunately, it still has a long way to go to achieve Subnautica (i.e., epic) levels of detail and world-building. That was one game where even just finding a new alien species and adding it to the database and reading about its relationships to other species and its place in the local ecosystem was very exciting.

A hand-crafted alien ecosystem can be much better than one generated by algorithms, especially if the ones doing the crafting know a thing or two about biology and art design.

I can only imagine the "loading shaders" beginning taking about 30 minutes to load now to get into the game. I might have to put this game on my NVMe now instead of an SSD. Ha

They've overhauled every other major part so far. I would not be at all surprised to see one of the next updates include caves.

Game is much better now and IMO closer to what would be a worthy product. It is a shame it had such a painful launch. I enjoy playing and am glad they are keeping up with it.

I have so many friends that I know would LOVE this game, but they refuse to buy it because all they know about NMS is the launch. The launch was a total disaster, but the product you get now and the product you got then are very different things.

2 years and it's almost a complete game.

bravo.

Yeah, sounds like a scam...amirite guys? Since games only take a couple years to make anything taking longer is a total scam. Like that other scam space game similar to this, right?

I don't think we've ever seen a company try as hard to make up with gamers as these guys have. Most companies would of just pulled the plug years ago.

Yeah, sounds like a scam...amirite guys? Since games only take a couple years to make anything taking longer is a total scam. Like that other scam space game similar to this, right?

2 years of development after a full price release?

yeah it's a scam.

it wasn't an alpha release or anything it was full price 1.0 release.

I can only imagine the "loading shaders" beginning taking about 30 minutes to load now to get into the game. I might have to put this game on my NVMe now instead of an SSD. Ha
My unscientific method of a stopwatch and a junction of the shader folder on a ramdisk, game itself is on a toshiba n300 (7200 rpm 128 cache):
3:30m (started and stopped it when the "loading shaders" msg was showing). Just under 200 more shader files added since last version (probably last version).

Edit: about 5s from ram or hdd after the first compile

Last edited:
2 years of development after a full price release?

yeah it's a scam.

it wasn't an alpha release or anything it was full price 1.0 release.

Oh yeah, release an early unfinished unpolished buggy version of the game and then update it over time after charging full price from the get go...sounds familiar. Scam.

My unscientific method of a stopwatch and a junction of the shader folder on a ramdisk, game itself is on a toshiba n300 (7200 rpm 128 cache):
3:30m (started and stopped it when the "loading shaders" msg was showing). Just under 200 more shader files added since last version (probably last version).

Makes me wonder if its really loading shaders... or just loading BS unoptimized code :p

Provided they're still adding content, they don't have to give the game away at major cut rates. And as noted, there is a 50% sale right now.

I picked up No Man's Sky after the last big update when it was on sale. Well worth it. It's not an extremely story driven game but it has interesting mechanics and the progression is interesting until you have acquired everything.

Worth $30 on sale? Yes. With even more content coming out? Heck yes.

No Man's Sky - Subnautica update LOL.

Unfortunately, it still has a long way to go to achieve Subnautica (i.e., epic) levels of detail and world-building. That was one game where even just finding a new alien species and adding it to the database and reading about its relationships to other species and its place in the local ecosystem was very exciting.

A hand-crafted alien ecosystem can be much better than one generated by algorithms, especially if the ones doing the crafting know a thing or two about biology and art design.
Subnautica is an awesome game. I need to get back and finish it up - I'm probably 75% through the story line (guessing).

Good!

Going in the water used to be boring and had no payoff. This is really exciting and I want to go home and play now.

I'm hyped for it too, going to grab the update slowly over the day. I know it's an engine limitation but being able to go deeper and higher in terms of terrain would be amazing. Depth could add a further tech upgrade functionality, oxygen, structural strength, etc, as with altitude, high efficiency oxygen systems etc.
Finding super rare stuff at the extremes would be highly rewarding for explorers.

Props to them for still throwing new features in after all this time... and after the product was basically declared dead by the media 2 years ago. I got it on sale for under $20... I fire it up every now and then to see what's new. But I still get bored in 30 mins and back into the backlog it goes.

It needs more than a cool environment... it needs a damn narrative/story.

It needs more than a cool environment... it needs a damn narrative/story.
It has one. Sure it's thin but it's meant to be.
It's an exploration game. Maybe the genre isn't for you.
It's not really for me either.
I picked it up on sale and play it for a week or so after every major update and lose interest.

My biggest gripe is with the game is that they somehow managed to make an infinite number of alien planets and lifeforms....repetitive. Oh, and the what...6 different buildings?

I want to give this developer tons of credit for supporting this game way past expectations. I wish other developers would care so much about post launch issues like this.

Having said this, I bought the game on sale and played it for 10 hours give it take and can’t continue. It’s a chore to play honestly. I wish this developer good luck and hope their next game has bette success and even better marketing team.

Back