No LEDs, board dead?

PCunicorn

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everybody, I can get a Asus P7P55D-E Pro for a great deal. But apparently, no LEDs turn on when the board has no CPU/RAM. Does this mean the board is dead? Or is it just because there's no CPU and RAM? BTW theres no way for the seller to test it with a CPU since he doesn't have one I guess.

Tl;Dr: With no CPU/RAM, are LEDs supposed to light up at all on the Asus P7P55D-E Pro?

Last edited:
Hey everybody, I can get a Asus P7P55D-E Pro for a great deal. But apparently, no LEDs turn on when the board has no CPU/RAM. Does this mean the board is dead? Or is it just because there's no CPU and RAM? BTW theres no way for the seller to test it with a CPU since he doesn't have one I guess.

Tl;Dr: With no CPU/RAM, are LEDs supposed to light up at all on the Asus P7P55D-E Pro?

Lower left right next to the clear CMOS jumpers is the "Standby Power LED"

I still have one of these boards in service and with the PSU hooked up and on that LED does glow, or at least mine does.

The owners manual is still on the ASUS site.

Luck man.

I would not buy a used mobo unless I confirm it works first. :) Soooo many different parts that can break. Why would this dude randomly have a motherboard with no CPU paired with it? Smells fishy.

My sabertooth z77 has different lights that turn on and off depending on if the CPU/RAM/GPU is ready to go or not.

I would not judge the health of a motherboard based on the lights... LEDs might fail, and lights might come on indicating a problem.

I would not buy a used mobo unless I confirm it works first. :) Soooo many different parts that can break. Why would this dude randomly have a motherboard with no CPU paired with it? Smells fishy.

My sabertooth z77 has different lights that turn on and off depending on if the CPU/RAM/GPU is ready to go or not.

I would not judge the health of a motherboard based on the lights... LEDs might fail, and lights might come on indicating a problem.

Valid point indeed. OP didn't mention if he has a socket 1156 CPU or not either.

If not this further compounds the problem, it seems like old CPUs never go down in price unless you buy used and with an unknown board buying an unknown CPU just makes no sense these days.;)

Back